PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting KNIFE Story in Your Life?

Doc Safari
12-30-18, 22:54
When I was a kid I hoped the day would come when my granddad would take me hunting and fishing with him.

Unfortunately he died when I was 13 and it never happened.

I am over 50 years old now and I carry his Swiss Army knife in my pocket every single day. It's the only thing I ever inherited that I didn't sell, spend, or give away.

I hope whatever Heaven is like we can finally go hunting and fishing together.

donlapalma
12-31-18, 00:14
When I was in 5th grade I was hanging out with a couple guys in the 6th grade. HUGE deal as a young kid to be hanging with the older kids. One guy, Larry, lived pretty close to me and we hung a little more regularly.

Around this time, my mom had given me a Swiss Army knife which she brought back from her trip to Europe. Anyhow, I showed Larry and he started up the conversation about becoming "blood brothers" which he said would require us to cut our hands using the knife. Of course, I had to go first. Well I did it and when I handed the knife to him, he bitched out on me and ran home.

We didn't hang out much after that.

Straight Shooter
12-31-18, 00:41
From as far back as I can remember...at least to 4th grade..most of us boys carried a knife to school. Daily.
Case pocket knives were common, but the Buck 110 was almost general issue amongst us country boys..in the belt snap holster of course. We wore them until we graduated. Guns in truck windows on campus, never any problem. Today- except at work-Im NEVER without my blade, A Spyderco full serrated Police. I just cannot wear pants without a blade in them somewhere.
Doc.. Ill bet you get that hunt with your granddaddy, wait & see!

SteyrAUG
12-31-18, 02:27
I've got my Dad's Randall that he waited probably 6 months for back in the early 70s.

Sadly I've also got the Hoffritz "hunting scenes" pocket knife I bought for him when I was 12 for his birthday.

Firefly
12-31-18, 02:55
As a younger man, I carried a balisong as a work knife. I would flip it. No tricks, just super basic flip while bored. Looking back it was sorta cringey.

I matriculated to my first Benchy autostriker not long after. It wasn't even a good balisong. It wasn't a Benchmade or anything. It was some deal I got at a pawn shop for $30 and has long since been given away. It was sharp enough though. I wouldn't mind having another, classic looking one again but I wouldnt go out of my way for one.

But as an 80s kid they will always seem exotic and somewhat taboo.

SteyrAUG
12-31-18, 04:44
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10455256_667712349976246_7783374353997094138_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=0a6cc2f08ee6fba4dbfd28e055513bad&oe=5C978C4E

Early (circa 1980) Jody Samson Custom Shop (Bali-Song, Inc.) 4" Weehawk blade w/ skeletonized handles. No "R" in balisong logo.

More here:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Vintage-Nunchaku-523048834442599/photos/?tab=album&album_id=667712293309585

just a scout
12-31-18, 05:34
Lol. I just gave my son a balisong to play with. It used to be my fidget spinner back in the 80s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

militarymoron
12-31-18, 08:28
11 years ago, when my son an infant, my wife was feeding him in the bedroom and I was there chatting with her while 'playing' with a steve tarani karambit. While flipping it, I made a wrong flip and felt the needle-sharp point prick my wrist. Ouch. No big deal - just a poke, I thought, until blood started dribbling out of the wound. I had punctured my radial artery. MY wife recalls wondering what that sound was of the blood hitting the carpet.

I walked into the bathroom to survey the damage, hoping that it wasn't too severe, but soon saw that a band-aid wasn't going to cut it. The bathroom started to look like a murder scene. I grabbed the closest towel (her favourite face towel) to me, wrapped it tightly around the puncture, kept pressure on it, and elevated my wrist above my heart. I knew I had to do what I feared the most - call my wife in and face her wrath.
I calmly said 'Hey hon, can you put the baby down for a sec? I need a hand here'. She came in (she'd also noticed the dribbled of blood on the carpet) and you can guess what her reaction was.

She immediately wanted to call 911 but I wanted her to grab a bandage out of my FAK first, so I could use it to keep pressure on the towel. We had a short argument, while I gave her directions on which one to take out. I got it out, wrapped it as tightly as I could around the towel, while she dialed 911. I went outside the house, sat down on the curb, keeping pressure on my wrist and keeping it elevated, and waited for the sirens. When the EMTs arrived (the neighbours had started to come out), they asked what had happened, so I said 'I accidentally cut myself with a martial arts knife' and explained what had happened. The EMT said 'ok, let's take a look at what we have here' and started to unwrap the blood-soaked towel around my wrist. As soon as the towel came off, he saw the gush of blood and said 'We're going to the ER!' My pissed-off wife had to bundle up our infant son and follow us to the hospital, where I ended up in the same ER hallway that I had been in a couple of years previously after a motorcycle accident. Now you start to see why my wife gets pissed at me (she calls me 'freak accident dude'). On the way over, the EMT asked to make sure that it was an accident; not purposely self-inflicted.

After the ER doctor evaluated the situation, she called a vascular surgeon. This guy proceeded to sew up the wound, seemingly oblivious to the copious amount of blood pouring out of it. I was worried about it, and said 'Er, do you think a tourniquet might slow the blood loss?', and he agreed, and the nurse (who was horrified at the amount of blood on the floor and walls, which horrified me, knowing this was an ER - shouldn't they be used to it???) put a BP cuff around my arm and inflated it. All this time, my wife was cradling our little baby in her arms, occasionally shooting me the 'Really? I'm at the ER again because of one of your stupid hobbies?' glare.

I was discharged after a few hours, and my wife took me home. My forearm turned black and blue over the next few days - something I hadn't expected. Over the next couple of years, I'd experience tingling in my fingertips and some loss of sensation, but it eventually got back to normal. I stopped playing with the karambit and stuck to conventional blades. I still have the scar as a reminder, and my wife and I are still married (coming up on 21 years), even though I made two more trips to the same ER hallway (which she made the point to point out to me) for two more motorcycle accidents in the following years. But those are another story.

Honu
12-31-18, 08:39
I was a T.A. (teachers assistant) in shop class for middle school when I was in HS
passing out carving knives a spastic girl wanted a dif one so being a spaz she punched me in the arm ! but she already had the knife I gave her in her hand at the time ! the second she did it she realized what happened and dropped the knife and said OH MY GOD I STABBED YOU ! I felt a tingle looked down and sure enough rip in my shirt and a slit in my skin I kinda opened it up with my fingers and YUP pretty good jab :)
next day though freaking sore !!!
saying a 8th grade girl stabbed you in shop class though :) hahahahahaha not a good story

daddyusmaximus
12-31-18, 10:36
Most of the 200 or so knives I've had in my lifetime have been bought, sold, traded, lost, or broken long ago. I have maybe 10 or 12 knives now. Well, except one. The very first knife I ever bought with my own money.

Original Bowie knife from Solingen Germany, the Sabre Monarch 171.

As I said, this is the first knife I ever bought with my own money. I was out riding bikes with my big sister, and we came upon a garage sale. It cost me $7 of my lawn mowing money. This was back in the 70s. Sure, I abused the crap out of it as a kid & teen, but I was a stupid kid. Thankfully, I liked it enough to never let go of it. I just had it re-profiled (broken tip) and sharpened over the summer. Then I had this kydex sheath made. She's shaving sharp again after all these years.

https://i.imgur.com/Lh5ONTj.jpg

ramairthree
12-31-18, 10:45
I was ten or eleven and a group of friends, family were deer hunting. As kids we had our licenses and were good to go at dawn and in the evening waiting in our sits/stands. But during the day were frequently relegated to doing the drives while the older guys sat. The length and times for the drives precluded being able to stalk and get off a shot. You had to move fast and loud enough with the distances and times that your only purpose was driving the deer to them.

My old man dropped me off on the side of a dirt road, pointed towards a peak, said keep going that way and I would come out where someone was sitting or hit another dirt road in about an hour and a half. Even in the woods I would be able to get a peek at the peak enough to keep going the right way.

I had my savage 340 and my father had given me his trusty, worn old Buck 102. About and hour into the drive, the sheath was not on my belt. Holy shite was I in for it. I sprinted my tracks back through the snow for about 15 minutes. Found where it had fallen off. The belt loop of the sheath had worn at the threads and failed. I sprinted back the way I should have been going until I came to where I could see the road. Linked up with everyone about the time I should have.

I was pretty proud of my quick thinking and sharp eye and finding the knife. I showed my dad the sheath and he seemed miffed that I “broke” it, like somehow it wasn’t par for a sheath with a dozen hunting seasons under its belt. I left off the part about my sprints through the woods. While not saying anything, I also thought he was disappointed I was some sort of a pansy, because I seemed a little tired after an hour and a half hike through wooded, hilly, steep terrain, in mid shin deep snow, which had actually been an hour of hiking and over half an hour of running for me.

I still have the knife.

opngrnd
12-31-18, 18:26
I have a few, but my latest one is a bummer. I have liked Spyderco knives for 20 years, especially with VG-10 blades. I've been carrying the same Spyderco Gen4 Endura since I picked one up while in Maryland in 2008 for my best friend's wedding. It's been a constant companion overseas, at work, doing chores, etc. Last week I decided to leave the gym in the sweat pants I worked out in instead of changing back into my work jeans and I believe it fell out of my pocket while stopping by the grocery store. Nothing has been turned into the lost and found, so it looks like I'm out of luck.

Circle_10
12-31-18, 18:40
I've actually posted this story in a different thread, but a knife did play a key role in it so here it is again:

I have a whole bunch of shitty, anticlimactic adventures.
Here's one:
Once upon a time, back in the mists of the year 2004 when I was in my early twenties, there was a dating site called Lavalife.
On this site I became acquainted with a girl named Becky. We messaged on the site for a bit and eventually started emailing instead. Finally one day we decided to meet. Since we lived about an hour apart we decided to meet each other at a mutual halfway point and do... something, I really didn't have much of a plan.
Complicating matters was the weather, which turned out to be shitty, in fact, I had left my car windows open by accident and the seats were wet, so I had gotten a white bath towel and tried to dry the seats as best I could, then chucked the towel in back (This becomes important later on).
I met Becky at the parking lot of a movie theater. We hugged hello. She looked OK. I had seen pics of her before so it's not like I wasn't sure what to expect or anything. She wasn't really unattractive but she was nothing to write home about. The important thing was that she wasn't fat, because I had always promised myself I'd never get involved with a fat chick.
Well one thing that hadn't been made clear in the photos is that Becky had one of those really gummy smiles....like when she smiled her lips pulled back really far and exposed a lot of teeth and gum. I decided to press on however.

So like I said we couldn't do much outside due to the bad weather. We briefly discussed seeing a movie, since we had met in the parking lot of a theater, but didn't bother. We had lunch at a pizza place and basically just drove around because we had nothing to do. She implied that her parents wanted her to be gone for a while so they could have sex without her in the house....
Eventually I drove us down to the ocean and we parked the car. If the damp seats were causing her discomfort she didn't make it known. There was an island in the distance that I decided I wanted to look more closely at, so I opened the center console in my car to retrieve my crappy little $10 Tasco binoculars. I also had a Glock field knife in there (Thankfully it was the 78, not the model 81 with the serrated "root saw" back, you'll see why in a moment.).* So I pointed it out to Becky that I had an "Austrian army combat knife" in there. She said something to the effect of "Ooh let me see" and reached for it. I looked away for a moment, distracted by a car or something, and started to say "Yeah hang on a sec and I'll show you how to get that out if the sheath."
Well the Glock field knife's method of retention in the sheath can, for the uninitiated, make it tricky to draw. Also potentially dangerous if you aren't careful.
Becky wasn't.
Next thing I hear is "Oh my God I just cut myself"
Boy did she ever. She had been pulling hard trying to free the knife from the sheath, when she finally hit the retention mechanism and the knife popped out and slashed her across the middle finger of her left hand.
She was bleeding everywhere. Well fortunately in back I had the towel I had used to dry the seats that morning and she at least was able to wrap her hand up in it.
At this point she started crying too, apparently as much from embarrassment as from pain or fear, because she meekly remarked that usually she was good with knives.
Our next stop was a convenience store where I bought a ton of gauze and band aids. I offered to take her to the hospital but she declined. She did however express a desire for a cigarette. I informed her I didn't want anyone smoking in my car so I drove her to a park where she could have a cigarette under a gazebo.
Unbelievably the date wasn't over, perhaps because she was concerned that if she returned home too early she might walk in on her parents in flagrante delicto, or maybe I was just really charming.
Eventually we went to a strip mall and walked around in a toy store. Despite her bandaged hand, she hula-hooped for a bit, which I found off-putting for some reason. Then we went back to the car and talked for awhile before I brought her back to her own vehicle. We did not kiss goodbye, but kinda left it at we would go out again at some point.
When she drove off, I remember hoping she made it home safely because if she went missing en route I would be the prime suspect and I had a towel and a knife with her blood all over them in my car.

We emailed once after that terrible date. The exchange was friendly, though she did mention that she had no feeling in her cut finger. There was some talk of going out again, initiated by her, believe it or not. I however wasn't feeling it and more or less dumped her via email.

Not wanting to bring it back into the house and draw questions from my stepmother, the bloody towel found it's way into the trunk of my car and was forgotten, and later ended up getting transferred, along with everything else in there, to the trunk of a different vehicle where it spent the next several years. From there somehow it got into my apartment and made it into a laundry cycle. I think my current GF threw it in the wash, not realizing what the stains were....which is good because she has a blood phobia, and at the time (five or six years ago) she was pretty insecure about my relationship history. The stains obviously didn't come out. Eventually, during a thorough cleaning of the apartment a few years ago I came across the blood strained towel and realized I needed to get goddamn rid of that thing and threw it out without ever having to explain to my GF that the stains on it were some other chick's blood.

I do still have the Glock knife though.

Over a decade later I found out Becky and I had a mutual friend on Facebook, a girl I had gone to college with. I checked Becky's profile pics out and noted that she still didn't look all that great. So she hasn't changed much, I don't know if she ever regained the feeling in her sliced finger.
Currently Becky and I no longer have the friend in common though, as I unfriended the mutual friend after she made a particularly obnoxious series of Facebook posts.

SeriousStudent
12-31-18, 20:17
11 years ago, when my son an infant, my wife was feeding him in the bedroom and I was there chatting with her while 'playing' with a steve tarani karambit. While flipping it, I made a wrong flip and felt the needle-sharp point prick my wrist. Ouch. No big deal - just a poke, I thought, until blood started dribbling out of the wound. I had punctured my radial artery. MY wife recalls wondering what that sound was of the blood hitting the carpet.

I have four Tarani karambits, two Emerson karambits, and even a Joe Watson titanium karambit. And three different trainers.

Yeah, they are good for creating stitches. ;)

ABNAK
12-31-18, 20:38
Went into a US Cav store one time and bought a knife after browsing around the store for a while. It was a folder, one of those "tacticool" ones. Got to the parking lot (directly in front of the door no less) and decided to play with my new knife sitting in the driver's seat of my truck. Had it out for maybe 30 seconds and proceeded to slice my finger open pretty good. I quickly opened the glove compartment and grabbed a handful of napkins I keep in there, but it was bleeding through those. Hoping I wouldn't have a set of stitches coming I kept the bloody napkins wrapped around my finger and walked back into the US Cav store and towards the restroom. The chick behind the counter (who had just rang me up a couple of minutes before) looked at me like "WTF?" as I dripped blood across their floor heading for the restroom. I was in there several minutes before I got it to stop bleeding. I sheepishly slinked my way out of there shortly thereafter!

Needless to say, those closest to you are the most hurtful: my wife snickered and made a snide remark and my good buddy laughed his ass off!

AndyLate
12-31-18, 23:41
My wife loves to remind me of this one:

I have a WWII era Imperial pocket knife with steel bolsters and carbon steel spear point and pen blades.
I had just finished putting nice edges on both blades and the thin pen blade was especially nice. I was oiling the knife to keep corrosion at bay when nature called.
Naturally, I took the knife with me to admire my cleanup and sharpening job. When I opened the oily, slippery pen blade with its nice strong spring, the knife got away from me, dropped point first and sliced painlessly into my pinky toe.
I quickly recovered the knife, was reassured that the fall had not hurt it and then looked down to see if I cut the linoleum floor. What I saw was my foot in a pool of blood 6 inches across. Now, I am a pretty quick study, so it didn't take long to realize what had happened. I held a wad of toilet paper to my toe, cracked the door and shouted to my wife that I needed a bandaid and an old towel.
Wouldn't you know it? My wife made me explain what I needed them for. Some people are just nosy.
Luckily it was a clean cut and healed fast.

flenna
01-01-19, 08:23
Several years ago a friend of mine owned an outdoor store and I gave him a good amount of business. I was perusing his knives and he had just got in a CRKT KISS when they first came out. I bought one on the spot (thought it would make a good little BOB knife) and was sitting there talking to him while wrapping the paracord around the handle. He told me I better not cut myself and make a mess in his store and I told him that I always, unintentionally cut myself with any new knife but I would be extra careful. As I was putting the knife back in the plastic sheath I had my hand up too high with my left index finger in the groove at the top of the sheath. I sliced my finger at the middle joint, deep, and bled allover the counter and floor in his store. I did stick around and clean up the mess, though.

militarymoron
01-01-19, 08:34
I have four Tarani karambits, two Emerson karambits, and even a Joe Watson titanium karambit. And three different trainers.

Sir, you are a braver man than I am. :D

SeriousStudent
01-01-19, 16:01
Sir, you are a braver man than I am. :D

No, just hard-headed.

SteyrAUG
01-01-19, 17:32

One of the very few blades I have little to no interest in. Chinese ring knives taught me a little about why I don't want a finger inserted into a weapon that can be subject to lots of torque and karambits have the same kind of draw back when you start digging into stuff that provides resistance like torsos.

My other major dislike is they are unlike pretty much every other fighting knife in the world and you need to readjust to how they are used safely and correctly, it's a bit more dramatic than switching from a Glock 19 to a S&W combat magnum as your primary carry gun.

And if you really aren't on top of what you are doing, they have a wonderful capacity for self inflicted injury as some have noted. I can more easily switch from Batangas to Manila style balisongs with fewer problems than I can go to a karambit.

jsbhike
01-01-19, 20:47
I keep a Victorinox Classic SD on my key chain. I was carrying on a conversation as a passenger when I noticed I had an extremely sharp and jagged finger nail. Think I got a return stroke in when I noticed I had flipped open the almost identical size blade. Fortunately there were paper towels in the trunk for the route diversion to buy some butterfly closures.

SeriousStudent
01-01-19, 21:07
One of the very few blades I have little to no interest in. Chinese ring knives taught me a little about why I don't want a finger inserted into a weapon that can be subject to lots of torque and karambits have the same kind of draw back when you start digging into stuff that provides resistance like torsos.

My other major dislike is they are unlike pretty much every other fighting knife in the world and you need to readjust to how they are used safely and correctly, it's a bit more dramatic than switching from a Glock 19 to a S&W combat magnum as your primary carry gun.

And if you really aren't on top of what you are doing, they have a wonderful capacity for self inflicted injury as some have noted. I can more easily switch from Batangas to Manila style balisongs with fewer problems than I can go to a karambit.

Yup, it's not a knife for everyone. In fact, that is exactly why I very rarely if ever recommend anybody buy one. It's also why a few days I ago I posted this:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?212061-Advice-on-folding-karambit&p=2689988#post2689988

"Whatever you buy, I would really really really really recommend buying a matching trainer. You also would do yourself a huge favor by attending a good karambit-specific class. I recommend Steve Tarani. Ernest Emerson has some books and videos out. I have not personally trained with him, but have taken multiple classes with Steve."

Picking up a gas station Chinese knockoff Karambit and stuffing it in the back of your Levi's is an excellent way to get hurt.

But, however, comma, if you have the appropriate level of instruction and practice, it's a very difficult weapon to disarm. It's also an extremely effective way to literally cut someone off my primary Glock 19, if someone tries to disarm me.

I would not give someone a Scandium J-frame and tell them to hit the streets. It is an expert-level pistol, and the firearm that I spend the most time practicing with.

A Karambit is the same thing, in my view. You probably wouldn't hand someone a select-fire H&K 51 SBR, and tell them to sally forth.

(I'm betting of all people on this board, you probably DO have such a thing in your collection.) :)

SteyrAUG
01-02-19, 03:07
Yup, it's not a knife for everyone. In fact, that is exactly why I very rarely if ever recommend anybody buy one. It's also why a few days I ago I posted this:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?212061-Advice-on-folding-karambit&p=2689988#post2689988

"Whatever you buy, I would really really really really recommend buying a matching trainer. You also would do yourself a huge favor by attending a good karambit-specific class. I recommend Steve Tarani. Ernest Emerson has some books and videos out. I have not personally trained with him, but have taken multiple classes with Steve."

Picking up a gas station Chinese knockoff Karambit and stuffing it in the back of your Levi's is an excellent way to get hurt.

But, however, comma, if you have the appropriate level of instruction and practice, it's a very difficult weapon to disarm. It's also an extremely effective way to literally cut someone off my primary Glock 19, if someone tries to disarm me.

I would not give someone a Scandium J-frame and tell them to hit the streets. It is an expert-level pistol, and the firearm that I spend the most time practicing with.

A Karambit is the same thing, in my view. You probably wouldn't hand someone a select-fire H&K 51 SBR, and tell them to sally forth.

(I'm betting of all people on this board, you probably DO have such a thing in your collection.) :)

Well I did have a 51, but during the great Obama gun sale I let it go for more than twice what I imagined it might sell for and bought a ton of shit. I'll get another one day but not hurry, it's not the most practical .308 out there.

I studied Pencak silat for years where I was exposed to the karambit and a number of other odd bladed weapons such as rencong where it was often held between the toes with the recurve handle under the foot and used to hook kick and opponent to ribbons. I was strangely more comfortable with that one than a karambit. But of all of them, a simple Parang was usually my favorite.

Most people today aren't even familiar with foot techniques of the rencong and it's become just another hand held blade. Similarly the karambit methods found in Silat are even more exotic than what it usually taught in the US and have a greater capacity for self inflicted injury as the use the weapon close to the body and regularly pass it under or over their opposite arm.

Granted I have great confidence that I could use one to wreck somebody's week, but it's one of those knife designs that seems to have no exception to the first rule of knife fighting.

Averageman
01-02-19, 11:24
Interesting knife stories;
I didn't learn to properly sharpen a knife until I ran a trap line. Being able to quickly sharpen a knife is a necessary skill for those who skin and prepare wild game.
It took me some trial and error, but I learned it's easier to have a knife that sharpens easily but who's blade wears a bit quicker than one that is difficult to sharpen even if the blade is a bit harder.
Never buy a "Knock Off" copy of a good folding knife because they usually have poorly designed and built locks and the blade is likely crap.
I've learned a small(ish) fixed blade is usually a lot more handy than a large folder. There's not a lot outdoors that you can do with an eight inch blade that can't be done better with a four inch blade.
A sharp kitchen knife is a joy, a dull one is a PITA. I usually sharpen mine every quarter. The knife I use in the kitchen the most is a Wosthof Grand Prix II. It has the amazing ability to be easily sharpened and it stays sharp a long time.
Case used to make a dandy hatchet with a fixed blade knife and they all fit in the same leather sheath. Every boy should get one of these at age six and we will let nature sort out the damage later. You could own one of these your whole life and it will likely always be handy and useful.
And last but not least, if you fumble with a knife, never, ever fall prey to the instinct to try and catch it.

militarymoron
01-02-19, 11:41
Yup, it's not a knife for everyone.
Whatever you buy, I would really really really really recommend buying a matching trainer.

I do have the matching tarani karambit trainer (hard plastic; not aluminum); and I think that it could actually make a pretty good non-lethal self defense weapon. The ring sort of serves like a brass knuckle when punching and the blade tip is pretty painful when pressed into soft tissue/pressure points. The curve enables the tip to be pushed hard into places like the armpit.

SeriousStudent
01-02-19, 11:47
..... But of all of them, a simple Parang was usually my favorite.

I love some parang and golok. Terrific as a tool in a jungle environment, and wicked for defensive purposes.

SeriousStudent
01-02-19, 11:49
I do have the matching tarani karambit trainer (hard plastic; not aluminum); and I think that it could actually make a pretty good non-lethal self defense weapon. The ring sort of serves like a brass knuckle when punching and the blade tip is pretty painful when pressed into soft tissue/pressure points. The curve enables the tip to be pushed hard into places like the armpit.

I have a pair of the aluminum ones Steve sells. I also have some wood and polymer trainers. Plus some folding trainers from Emerson and 5.11.

Sheesh, I need to go wade through all that stuff again, I gotta lotta shiv's!

AndyLate
01-02-19, 11:59
I went through a phase of putting handles on blade blanks.

One of my brothers in law has always been super supportive of my wife and I, wouldn't think of letting us pay for a dinner, etc. In appreciation, I scaled an Enzo Trapper blade in Osage Orange, sharpened it, and then gave it to him in a nice leather sheath for his 65th birthday. He was taken aback that I would do something so nice for him and actually teared up a little.

His wife reported that he used it to dress out his and a couple of the kid's deer that year and that it worked as well as it looks. She told my wife later that her sons wouldn't use it. I assumed that she meant they respected the fact it was his property, but the truth is that they were scared of how sharp it is.

Sometimes I forget there are a lot of people in this world who have never used a truly sharp knife.

Andy