PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a concealed carry holster WITH RETENTION?

RAM Engineer
11-04-08, 05:42
Mods, please move this if it's in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure whether to post here, training, or tactical gear.

Question: Do you use a concealed carry holster with some sort of retention feature? In the comments please state your rational and which holster you choose.

Thanks,

Jason

Abraxas
11-04-08, 05:53
While there is no strap or catch or anything, my VM II holds my weapon in place very well.

Robb Jensen
11-04-08, 07:25
Currently carrying on a VA CHP (no retention)..........possible future employment would require a built in retention device.

markm
11-04-08, 07:31
My long time favorite CCW/Open carry holster was the COP 3-SLOT. A really great holster. But it was infinitely slower than an open top rig. So since the pistol is concealed, there's no need for additional retention.

I've always felt that I could make open top holsters work in open carry too. You just have to have good situational awareness. And depending on how you position yourself and your body, many people never notice.

RogerinTPA
11-04-08, 08:22
I've been thinking about getting an IWB holster with a retention device. My MTAC works pretty well though.

Currently carrying on a VA CHP (no retention)..........possible future employment would require a built in retention device.

Detective_D
11-04-08, 08:40
No retention here.

I feel that since it is CCW then that is retention enough, plus my G27 fits nice and snug.

David Thomas
11-04-08, 09:42
The only CCW holster I have with any kind of retention device is my ankle holster from Renegade that has a strap around the trigger guard of my J-Frame. All others are open top. The Rengade and J-Frame are constant companions and the retention strap is a pull through deign that does not have to be released in order to draw the gun, so I am not really sure that it qualifies a a true retention device like the ALS or a thumb break design. Therefore, I vote no retention in the poll.

A quality leather holster carried IWB does not need a retention device, and a new leather IWB that has been boned in "well" can dislocate a shoulder if you are not careful.

TUNNEL RAT 33
11-04-08, 09:46
BEEN USING BLADE-TECH IWBs for years .

Jay Cunningham
11-04-08, 09:54
No retention device for CC IWB. I currently use a RCS Phantom which holds the pistol in a very secure fashion.

Abiqua
11-04-08, 14:18
no retention on my Mitch Rosen 5JR Presidential. I don't feel a need for extra retention with a concealed holster.

randyman_ar
11-04-08, 18:55
I have an IWB from Eric Larson at HBE Leather Works. No retention needed.

FlyingHunter
11-04-08, 20:45
HK45 in a Raven Concealment Phantom- No retention, - however if Obama wins I will have bladder and bowel retention.

sff70
11-04-08, 23:29
CCW to a great degree reduces need for retention devices such as snaps, etc.

ToddG
11-05-08, 01:04
Presumably you aren't counting friction/tightness as a retention device, nor the screws that allow one to adjust same. Thus, I voted no.

However, I do believe that a concealed carry rig should have the ability to retain the loaded pistol when held upside down. If it's not tight enough to do that, it may not be adequate to keeping the gun on your body in a tussle, when running, etc.

toddackerman
11-06-08, 19:42
Presumably you aren't counting friction/tightness as a retention device, nor the screws that allow one to adjust same. Thus, I voted no.

However, I do believe that a concealed carry rig should have the ability to retain the loaded pistol when held upside down. If it's not tight enough to do that, it may not be adequate to keeping the gun on your body in a tussle, when running, etc.

I would edit this to say "Upside down if you're upside down. For example, a VMII won't hold a gun upside down by itself until you put it on. Then the tension is more than adequate for a "Tussle" because of the tension the belt puts on it.

Alpha Sierra
11-09-08, 16:28
I do believe that a concealed carry rig should have the ability to retain the loaded pistol when held upside down. If it's not tight enough to do that, it may not be adequate to keeping the gun on your body in a tussle, when running, etc.

Presumably one can run and roll all over the ground to test if one's holster's retention is enough.

A leather IWB does not need to hold a gun in upside down when off your person because the compression from the belt adds the last bit of necessary retention. I've proven that to myself with my holsters by doing just what I suggested.

HAMMERDROP
11-09-08, 18:35
But I carry in a BH Serpa w/paddle when I walk my property just to keep the gun in place. 1911 5". Also 1911-Safari 6004 w/ALS again to retain the weapon and to have a great hoster on my go to belt.
This is the 2nd Serpa I have owned - the paddle is much stiffer on current generation. On the original I bought in 2002 it would pull out with the piece !
If I were going to carry in public I'd put my back brace on has 2 elastic straps which can conceal a 5" 1911 under my left arm and not print - kinda tuff to get out but my back limits any real dives while drawing from said back brace training report I could otherwise give except - TAKE OF YOUR SPINES but its very cool MSRP $1400.00 !

Michael

badcatbigbat
11-09-08, 19:21
I use the Blackhawk Serpa w/ retention for my government 45 and the same for my Glock 19. I have had to break up fights in my prior job and I noticed that I kept my elbow tucked next to my firearm. I was afraid that someone would come from behind and grab my firearm. After that incident, I made every effort to buy holsters with retention for my duty carry and off duty carry. My family can't afford to have me shot by my own weapon. Just my 2 cents.

Chooie
11-09-08, 19:40
I carry IWB in a leather holster. I could hang upside down from my ankles and the gun wouldn't come out. If I carry OWB (such as IDPA, range days, or open carry) it is in a SERPA holster.

ToddG
11-10-08, 10:15
A leather IWB does not need to hold a gun in upside down when off your person because the compression from the belt adds the last bit of necessary retention. I've proven that to myself with my holsters by doing just what I suggested.

I agree that the belt can add tension. However, I still prefer to have a holster that achieves that level of retention on its own. The belt tension can change as we gain or lose weight, or as we get wrapped up struggling on the ground, etc.

I also prefer leather holsters with a lot of stiffness around the mouth, so belt tightness has less of an impact on their retention.

Chooie
11-10-08, 14:24
I agree that the belt can add tension. However, I still prefer to have a holster that achieves that level of retention on its own. The belt tension can change as we gain or lose weight, or as we get wrapped up struggling on the ground, etc.

I also prefer leather holsters with a lot of stiffness around the mouth, so belt tightness has less of an impact on their retention.

I found that if the holster can hold the gun upside down when you're not wearing it, and it's IWB, it will probably have too much retention when worn... but to each his own!

CarlosDJackal
11-10-08, 14:53
I feel that I have to quantify my answer of: "without retention". I primarily use Kydex holsters and mag pouches which do have some retention. In other words the holsters and mag pouches I use, most of which are IWB, do hold onto my handgun and magazines.

What this means is that to present my handgun or perform a reload (I usually carry two spare magazines) all I have to do is grasp the handgun or magazine and pull it out of their respective carriers. I don't have to deal with any kind of snaps and such.

For mu duty rig, my holsters have at least a Level II retention system (as per SOP) and my magazine pouches are hidden under a flap.

RD62
11-10-08, 15:03
I voted no also.

Only passive type retention on my CCW holsters.

-RD62

yugolover
11-10-08, 21:38
I carry a S&W model 66 in a Bianchi 5bh thumb break holster. I don't do it for any other reason than that I find the holster really comfortable. I have also found that with all the practice i have done with it that when I put on my cheap Fobus holster I still try to break the the thumb break.

DBake
11-10-08, 21:50
Voted No, my IWB is a Blade-Tech "Nano". Best bang for the buck!

xray 99
11-11-08, 15:20
I currently carry concealed in an open-top pancake. If I hang around, the new powers that be may mandate some type of retention device. He is enamored of the US Marshal requirement for holsters with retention devices.

CLHC
11-11-08, 16:06
Currently using a Galco M5X with the "twin tension screws" that keeps my G.19 in place. As advertised, this kydex holster is "fast in action, concealable, and easy on the budget!" Of course Your Methods May Vary accordingly so. :cool:

Randyc74
11-27-08, 23:53
I'm an LEO (detective) and a custom holster maker. I prefer to carry my weapon on duty in one of my own holsters. My department does not regulate the type of holster I wear on duty. The holster holds the weapon securely with out any retention devices, however I have a siderlock trigger safety on my Glock 23. In the event of a gun snatch by a desperdo, the siderlock safety would afford me the time to either take my weapon back or draw my pocket carried back up weapon.

Robb Jensen
11-28-08, 08:11
I'm an LEO (detective) and a custom holster maker. I prefer to carry my weapon on duty in one of my own holsters. My department does not regulate the type of holster I wear on duty. The holster holds the weapon securely with out any retention devices, however I have a siderlock trigger safety on my Glock 23. In the event of a gun snatch by a desperdo, the siderlock safety would afford me the time to either take my weapon back or draw my pocket carried back up weapon.

Randy the Bulldog Avenger looks pretty nice!

kubmiester
11-28-08, 08:20
I use IBW primarally with no retention. The holsters fit snug. I do have an ankle holster that does have retention. Since I'm not LE I don't expect to do any "over the river and through the woods" running chases.

Randyc74
11-28-08, 08:58
I use IBW primarally with no retention. The holsters fit snug. I do have an ankle holster that does have retention. Since I'm not LE I don't expect to do any "over the river and through the woods" running chases.

I don't do much running myself, that's what the radio and young guys are for:D

DBake
11-28-08, 22:37
Instead of getting a retention holster take a hand gun retention class with a normal IWB holster of your choice. I use Blade-Tech Nano for my SW1911.

1_click_off
11-29-08, 17:29
I carry my KAHR PM45 without retention with a crossbread IWB. My belt adds just enough pressure to make it comfortable that it will stay in place, yet loose enough to draw quickly. I carry my Glock 27 on my ankle with retention, Run, jump, whatever, just want to make sure it stays put.