PDA

View Full Version : How deep and how cheap?

Bluto
01-02-19, 11:03
In planning our household 2019 budget, I added a line for “future generations firearms”. The thought process is that I have rifles, pistols, magazines and ammo stashed away for the kids for when they’re older. We have some disposable income and I am thinking of supplying the future generation of potential grandkids. My kids are barely teenagers and my wife thinks it’s a stupid idea, but I’m using the “better to have and not need” mentality.

On top of that, I’m a buy-once cry-once type of guy and am hesitant to buy junk just to fill a safe. The plan is to buy complete rifles rather that lowers because we all know those end up being turned into full rifles and I really want a set-and-forget these.

Are any of you taking a similar approach? If so, are you buying quality stuff or “just something”? How about your kids’ ages and interest? Political environment?

Wake27
01-02-19, 11:26
My daughter was born three days ago and my wife has already been pushing for me to get her first gun for a few months - mostly because she knows how I think but she also loves the sentimental aspect of it. I absolutely agree with the buy once mentality for this, as well as full factory guns. I'm dabbling in budget guns right now with two PSA uppers which are fun, but they'll never give me the full piece of mind of my higher quality firearms. If I had the income to support "normal" guns (not rimfires), I'd buy either Colt Combat Unit Carbines or factory BCM LW middys with a few mags each - I like PMAG M3s - and a case or two of ammo per gun. Personally, I wouldn't worry about pistols as much because they're less likely to have political issues and are much harder to tailor to the individual.

ETA - don't cheap out on the ammo. I'm rotating through a bunch of ammo that I bought in the post-Sandy Hook timeframe of 2013 and early 2014. A lot of it is Freedom Munitions because that was the cheapest stuff that I could find at the time. The guns and ammo I'm using right now haven't been performing as well as I'd like, and I'm now trying to figure out whether its the guns or ammo causing it (questionable accuracy in the rifles at only 50m and tons of misfires in my Roland Special). With the market the way it is right now, a few extra dollars for that consistent performance and piece of mind is even more worth it when its something that will get put away for several years.

Firefly
01-02-19, 11:38
If you really loved your kids you would either A) stockpile SR-25s and Glock 34s or B) put that gun money in a trust fund or college. They may not even care about guns. Or they may just want a pistol for HD and call it good.
Some things have to be figured out on their own.

Like 15 yo me would’ve thought “hey neato a gun...okay when can we go to the skate park”

25 yo me would have cared but old me is like “meh I only need four guns for the rest of my life”

No shame in stocking up on lowers and mags and gauge their interest as they become full adults. Honestly they aren’t going to care as much about the gun as they will about the time spent with you.
I doubt guns will get that restrictive on a Federal level as the whole State ban crap seems to be more effective.

JMO

Arik
01-02-19, 13:51
I don't think it makes sense to buy for kids and future grand kids as well. Maybe a rifle/handgun if the kids show any interest in it at all but thats about it. You don't know what they'll like

Like Firefly said....15 year old me couldn't care less about firearms. 21 year old me bought a bunch of random crap because 21!!! 30 year old me sold all that early crap.

THCDDM4
01-02-19, 14:14
My wife and I are planning to have 3-4 children total. Already have 1 and another in the works.

I bought (4) Colt 6920’s, (4) M&P 9 FS and (4) M&P 9 compacts. I bought (8) cases of 5.56 and (10) cases of 9mm. 10 magazines per each firearm.

I got a red dot, flashlight and sling for each rifle and night sights and a holster for each pistol.

All of it put away for my children.

I figure at the very least they have a good carbine, full size pistol and compact pistol with accompanying ammo and magazines no matter what may happen in the future.

If they aren’t into firearms, that’s fine- I will keep them for grandchildren that may be into firearms. If I have to keep all of them, that’s fine too. I like guns.

I’d rather have them and not need them. Plus there are only about 10 out of 90 or so family members between my wife and I that aren’t into firearms, so the odds are in our favor in that regards.

GH41
01-02-19, 14:23
Goin with Firefly on this subject. Invest everything in education. I mean everything, including relocation if you cannot afford private schools. If they grow up to be successful they can buy their own guns. Assuming guns are still legal. I think guns are a poor long term investment at this time.

THCDDM4
01-02-19, 14:39
Why does it have to be guns vs. education? Invest in both if you have the means. If you don’t have the means then think long about what a child costs and their future and get your ass in gear.

The second I got my sons SSN he had a 529 and it is already funded enough to send him to pretty much any school he wants and he’s only 2.

Also set up a life insurance/bank account for him (bank on yourself style) so he has funds to draw from should he want to open a business instead of go to school.

I will do the same for every child I have.

If you have or are planning to have children contact a quallity financial advisor pronto and get started early. Makes everything a lot easier.

Bluto
01-02-19, 15:31
I should have mentioned in the opening post... Education and future financials are well in order. This isn't an financial investment, although who couldn't sock away more cash... I guess you could consider it more of a political investment.

AKDoug
01-02-19, 15:48
Each of my children left the house with one .22 rifle, one .22 semi auto pistol, one Rem 870 shotgun, one mid sized 9mm handgun, one bolt action hunting rifle, and one AR-15.

It was not any sort of political investment. My political investment in them was raising them right and teaching them history that the schools left out.

College money.. bah.. that's their problem and they're dealing with that just fine.

kerplode
01-02-19, 16:07
Buy firearms for yourself. Put money for your kids in a trust, or stocks or a shoebox or something...Or don't and just let them figure that shit out on their own. It builds character.

Anyway, there's no guarantee they'll be interested in owning firearms or that it'll even be legal to transfer firearms to them by the time they're old enough to own them...

Jsp10477
01-02-19, 17:01
Buy them the guns if you have disposable income. Don’t cheap out. Colts and Glocks at the minimum.

TXBK
01-02-19, 20:30
If my father had my same interests back in the 80’s as I do now, I could have items today that I probably won’t have because of the cost. That is why I invest in certain items now, for my children’s future. My children are being raised in a manner to want and appreciate them.

A college education has become overrated and will probably be more so in another 10 years. I never earned a degree, and I would probably have already earned substantially more money if I hadn’t gone to college at all. There will be plenty of money for my boys to get their lives started, but it will be up to them to finish. I believe in investing in them now, and leave the rest up to them.

THCDDM4
01-02-19, 20:44
If my father had my same interests back in the 80’s as I do now, I could have items today that I probably won’t have because of the cost. That is why I invest in certain items now, for my children’s future. My children are being raised in a manner to want and appreciate them.

A college education has become overrated and will probably be more so in another 10 years. I never earned a degree, and I would probably have already earned substantially more money if I hadn’t gone to college at all. There will be plenty of money for my boys to get their lives started, but it will be up to them to finish. I believe in investing in them now, and leave the rest up to them.

Exactly the way I feel.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-03-19, 01:23
My son is two. In my safe is a little corner for his guns. He has a 6920, a Glock 19, a 20g 870, and a 10/22 Takedown. I figure the right to own these guns may not be there when he is of age. Instead of selling old guns, I made sure they became his and saved for my next purchase.

sundance435
01-03-19, 08:23
You're soliciting opinions, so here's mine - You stated that college/future finances are in order, but being in my 30's now, I really wish my parents had put money away for future expenses rather than buying me "stuff" - never mind that 30+ years ago my dad would never have thought about getting me a gun to have when I was old enough (some pretty awesome stuff would've been readily available, too), though that's a tradition for other members of my family. What I'm saying is that whatever money you'd spend now on firearms for them to have in the future, even if financially feasible, think about that compounded over 15-20 years. Yeah, I'd have loved to have gotten an SP1 or 56s when I turned 18, but the $5k+ would've been way more useful if kept out of my hands until 25 or so. Maybe I'm missing the point and if you're truly set on getting them firearm keepsakes now, I'd probably get a nice 10/22 or .22 lever action, a 6920, and a nice older Smith or Colt revolver (.22 or .38/357) + a ton of regular capacity mags for the rifles. One never knows about the mags and the 6920 in the future. The other 2 are timeless and really more of a memento/keepsake.

Coal Dragger
01-03-19, 14:21
I don’t specifically have any guns that I have bought for my almost 16 month old son. With 3 good quality M4 type carbines in the safe and a 4th beater, I’m sure that one can be set aside for the boy. Probably stick a Geissele SD-C in my Colt M4A1 SOCOM II, and set it aside for my son. I’ll buy more magazines and make sure he gets at least 20 PMags with it still in wrappers. Not decided on a pistol yet.

More immediately will be a decent bolt action .22 rifle to begin gun safety and basic rifle marksmanship instruction. I wish rimfire ammo was more resilient to long term storage so I could reasonably start stocking up now. I’ll also need to acquire a good .22 pistol unless I want him learning on my Benelli MP95 match gun, a 2.2lb trigger is probably not a good idea for a child though. Plus the grip is large.

AndyLate
01-03-19, 20:43
SteyrAUG just posted about survival gear prior to Y2K. I was reading it and remembering the days of $90 SKS carbines and cheap surplus corrosive ammo. Folks bought it cheap and piled it deep then too. The problem is, 20 years later on one really wants an SKS as their main battle rifle.

On the other hand, if you bought quality guns then, they would have appreciated 3-500%. If you stocked up on South African 7.62 battle packs, same thing.

Averageman
01-03-19, 22:59
I sat thirty K aside for my Son to go to school, he's 23 and has finally shown some interest in using that money and going back to school.
When I buy a gun a buy a near matching one for him, when he figures it all out and if he wants them they are his.
Honestly, the more I've put my foot down and insisted about "things" he needed to do the further it drew us apart. Life will educate you, both of us have learned something.

sundance435
01-04-19, 10:33
Life will educate you, both of us have learned something.

Ain't that the truth. I suppose an integral part of life is ignoring the sage advice of elders and figuring shit out the hard way...then getting old enough to be annoyed when young people do the same thing. Circle of Life.

THCDDM4
01-04-19, 11:28
Ain't that the truth. I suppose an integral part of life is ignoring the sage advice of elders and figuring shit out the hard way...then getting old enough to be annoyed when young people do the same thing. Circle of Life.

Absolutely!!!

Straight Shooter
01-04-19, 11:51
As I said in the Y2K thread- we are & have been living in a gravy time the last two years as far as guns, ammo & gear costs. There hasnt been a better time to buy in decades. Ammo is as low as it probably EVER will be now. I use the late eighties & nineties times of "coulda/woulda/shoulda" as a learning lesson- and I dont muck around anymore on things I want or need- I buy it ASAP. Not gonna sit around wishing I would have bought things at their lowest anymore.
Time to buy is NOW-TODAY. Just take 15 minutes, go listen or read or watch the new incoming commie/MUSLIM/leftie rats who were just sworn in. Find out ALL of their agenda. ASSUME President Trump doesnt make it two more years, or doesnt get re-elected. ASSUME that SCOTUS isnt going to be near as 2A friendly as we thought..{ F John Roberts, btw}.
This is what I DO. In 2-5 years from now not gonna be "wishing" I woulda/coulda/shoulda anymore.