PDA

View Full Version : Range Report Part I: SLR-106FR Function Check and Zeroing

Jay Cunningham
11-01-06, 02:41
I took my newly purchased (Atlantic Firearms) Arsenal, Inc. SLR-106FR to the range today for function check and sight-in. The bolt and rails were lubed with Breakfree CLP before shooting.

Conditions:
55 degrees F
Moderate winds
Low humidity, clear

Ammunition:
Federal xm193 55 gr. lot 120

Muzzle brake and cleaning rod removed, bench rested. Rear sight set at "1", initial zeroing target at 25m. Initial rounds impacted 12" high and 4" left from POA. Adjusted to within 3" of POA at 25m then moved to standard rifle bullseye target placed at 100m. Additional windage adjustment necessary, front sight pushed all the way to the left leaving the drum on the right side flush with the sight base. With rifle finally on target, attached brake and shot a ten round string. Rifle remained on target; rifle now successfully zeroed at 100m.

Function:
No issues. Smooth function. Groups printed within 4MOA under all conditions. "Two-stage" trigger was a bit odd. It is more accurate to say that the trigger mimics a two-stage. Initial take up was smooth enough but the second stage was very heavy. Break was crisp enough but reset was mushy. I suspect that I'll replace the trigger group with a G2 but that will be for a later date. Clear Bulgarian magazines were very tight in the magazine well, as previously reported.

Concerning Excessive Windage Adjustment on SLR-106 Series Rifles:

I have read several accounts which are similar in that excessive windage adjustment needs performed, usually because the rifle is shooting to the left. This was also the case with my rifle, and it left me bewildered because the rifle looks straight. I have experience with the platform and it's zeroing - I know the quirks and indiosynchracies of the system. After examination I grew very suspicious of the rear sight. As others have observed, it appears to be an AKM rear sight. There looks to be too much play in the rear sight; in my case there is considerable space on the right side between the sight and sight base.

I ask all SLR-106 series owners to please check out your rear sight arrangements and report in on your observations.

I will continue testing of this platform and report in. Next will be shooting for accuracy (I consider this separate from zeroing) and shooting offhand. Looks to me like speed reloading is going to be troublesome with the tight clear magazines.

Thekatar

CMPM14NM
11-01-06, 18:56
My 106 is 4" left at 25M. My 105 is also about 4" left at 25M.

Jay Cunningham
11-02-06, 09:06
After examining the rifle in more detail with the handguards removed I believe that the barrel may be slightly cocked in the trunnion. I am going to continue my evaluation with an optical sight mounted between the rear and front sight - this should provide additional information.

Please take this thread for what it is - a range report and evaluation. I am just reporting what I experience while shooting; I have no agenda.

VA_Dinger
11-09-06, 14:12
It's odd that so many seem to be exactly 4" off on the windage.

:confused:

I know it's not a big deal, just odd.

Heavy Metal
11-10-06, 18:57
Mine was 4 inches off to the left at 100 and I was getting 4 inch 10 shot groups sandbagged at 100. Trust me, 4 inches off at 100 is DAMN GOOD SWAG windage for a out of the box AK. i have seen far, far worse.

Just a tiny correction for windage.

I did have to remove a bit of material from my Bulgarian 5.56 waffles to get it to feed right.

It was overfeeding the rounds over the top of the chamber.

I had to do the same thing on some other waffles for my two SAR-3's.

The brass hand that same funky ring at the juncture of the neck and shoulder as my SAR-3's do.

I am convinced it is the same manufacture of barrel.

My SAR-3's are also excellent groupers for AK's. One wears a Kobra and does 2 MOA.

Those barrels are good barrels.

Heavy Metal
11-10-06, 19:01
Notice I said 4 inches at 100, not 25.

Jay Cunningham
11-11-06, 08:31
Yes, 4" at 100m is no biggie at all; 4" at 25m is more problematic.