PDA

View Full Version : Nike: "Believe in something. Unless it means sacrificing profits."

Bret
01-04-19, 11:39
A good number of companies have taken to virtue signaling as a marketing technique. The latest trend is to repudiate one portion of your customer base in order to sell more to another portion of your customer base. Dick's of course did this, but that hasn't turned out so well. More recently, Nike started their "Stand for something. Even if it means sacrificing everything." The obvious irony is that the face of their campaign, Colin Kaepernick, hasn't sacrificed anything. He had such courage that he waited until his NFL career was coming to an end before jumping on the social justice warrior bandwagon. Then he conveniently blamed his lack of a team on his activism. Now he's making a boatload of money from Nike, so it's hard to figure what exactly he sacrificed at all.

Nike conveniently forgets their new slogan when it comes to determining how their marketing will impact profits. Just look at how they made their decision not to support NBA player Enes Kanter. He's from Turkey and has been sentenced to jail among other things for speaking out against Turkey's Islamist President. Nike decided not to give Kanter a shoe contract because Turkey threatened to shut down all the Nike stores in Turkey.
https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/12/the-hypocrisy-of-nike.php
I think Nike needs to find a new slogan. Perhaps "Believe in something. Unless it means sacrificing profits."

donlapalma
01-04-19, 12:14
Have not had any Nike shoes or products in ages and it will most definitely stay that way. If that's how they want to run their company, have at it. I'll direct my dollars elsewhere and lose no sleep over it.