PDA

View Full Version : Small Arms Solutions video: "The Buffer - Theory and when to Use What Buffer"

MountainRaven
01-05-19, 00:43
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYf-MLMODhA

I recently came across this video and found it to be interesting.

To wit, the proper choice of buffer weight is apparently largely based on how heavy the barrel is. So the LE6920 and M4 have H buffers because of the government contour barrels they have, while M4A1s with the SOCOM contour barrel have H2s because of how much heavier the SOCOM barrel is (and the H2 was originally developed for Colt's piston-operated guns). And then the H3 was developed for the super-heavy barreled Colt IAR.

So... is the premise correct? If so, is it not foolish to chase after different buffer weights for rifles, should one not choose the buffer weight based on the barrel contour rather than a perception of being overgassed or undergassed?

vicious_cb
01-05-19, 01:07
That is completely wrong...:suicide2:

MountainRaven
01-05-19, 11:50
That is completely wrong...:suicide2:

Did I misunderstand him or is he wrong?

scottryan
01-05-19, 11:56
The heavier the gun or barrel, the worse the bolt bounce is, as the gun has more interia to resist the BCG from going into battery.

vicious_cb
01-05-19, 14:45
Did I misunderstand him or is he wrong?

You should NOT be choosing buffer weight based on barrel profile. Buffer weight should be based on gas system + gas port size aka how much gas drive is accelerating your bolt carrier. By increasing the reciprocating you are lowering the carrier velocity and allowing more time for feeding and extraction.

Is what he is saying true, yes BUT its almost like he read some historical engineers note on what the buffer was originally designed to do which was act like a dead blow hammer to keep the bolt carrier from bouncing back. As most of us know, the buffer plays a far more important role than that.

Clint
01-05-19, 16:12
Yes, the reciprocating mass and gas drive should be matched.

Our approach is to select the A5H2 buffer first and adjust gas drive to achieve proper function.

This works well for any possible configuration.

Rifle or CAR H2 buffers are acceptable alternative baselines.

You should NOT be choosing buffer weight based on barrel profile. Buffer weight should be based on gas system + gas port size aka how much gas drive is accelerating your bolt carrier. By increasing the reciprocating you are lowering the carrier velocity and allowing more time for feeding and extraction.

Artiz
01-05-19, 20:49

Is what he is saying true, yes BUT its almost like he read some historical engineers note on what the buffer was originally designed to do which was act like a dead blow hammer to keep the bolt carrier from bouncing back. As most of us know, the buffer plays a far more important role than that.

He worked at Colt, and read every Engineering Change Order dating back to the 60's up to very recently (2005 I think). He knows what he's talking about.

The thing is, what he is saying relates to Colt and military use, not necessarily civilian use. Colt issues the M4 with H buffers for a reason. The military wants it's rifle to function 100% no matter how fouled, dirty or dry the gun is and how cold the temperature is. They're not gonna put too heavy of a buffer in there and risk the gun not cycling in ALL conditions possible. The AR15 is already a borderline system.

The free-moving buffer weights were implemented to kill the bolt carrier bounce that created failures to fire on full auto. The bigger the barrel mass, the more bounce the bolt carrier is going to experience, the heavier the buffer should be to kill the bounce. Simple physics.

The buffer weight use in the civilian world is gonna vary wildly based on personnal preferences and the fact that too many manufacturers build barrels with too much variation in gas port size, and people run the whole spectrum of ammo from low-ass power garbage to very hot 5.56.

He isn't saying "you absolutely have to use that buffer with that gun or imma break yo legs fool".

Iraqgunz
01-05-19, 21:13
The Army currently uses H2 buffers in their carbines as they are being converted over to SOCOM profiles, if they haven't done so already. Gas port sizes in both barrels is the same. Put an H2 buffer in a 6920 and it will run all day long.

He worked at Colt, and read every Engineering Change Order dating back to the 60's up to very recently (2005 I think). He knows what he's talking about.

The thing is, what he is saying relates to Colt and military use, not necessarily civilian use. Colt issues the M4 with H buffers for a reason. The military wants it's rifle to function 100% no matter how fouled, dirty or dry the gun is and how cold the temperature is. They're not gonna put too heavy of a buffer in there and risk the gun not cycling in ALL conditions possible. The AR15 is already a borderline system.

The free-moving buffer weights were implemented to kill the bolt carrier bounce that created failures to fire on full auto. The bigger the barrel mass, the more bounce the bolt carrier is going to experience, the heavier the buffer should be to kill the bounce. Simple physics.

The buffer weight use in the civilian world is gonna vary wildly based on personnal preferences and the fact that too many manufacturers build barrels with too much variation in gas port size, and people run the whole spectrum of ammo from low-ass power garbage to very hot 5.56.

He isn't saying "you absolutely have to use that buffer with that gun or imma break yo legs fool".

MountainRaven
01-05-19, 22:25

That had been my understanding. The link between buffer weight and barrel contour was completely new to me, but the way it was laid out in the video made sense and made me think I knew less than I thought I did (which wasn't much to begin with).

vicious_cb
01-06-19, 05:05

Thats perfectly fine if he's repeating whatever reason the engineers wrote down as a historical anecdote but that isnt reality. I know for a #fact that there are savvy SF guys out there who will tune their buffer weight specifically to drop the the cyclic rate on their 416s suppressed and unsuppressed. Its also a #fact that there guys out there that had to scrounge H6 buffers because the H1's in their M4s didnt play well with M855A1. If thats not a military application I dont know what is.

JediGuy
01-06-19, 06:52
I hear Chris’ comments on this as follows:

Based on the gas port sizing used by Colt as required for government weapons with a carbine gas system, the appropriate buffer weight is determined by barrel contour.

From what I gather, the video relays experience based on a specific model(s) of rifle that already had the most important aspect, gas port size, predetermined. For civilian purchasers who can acquire rifles with “more correct” (based on a different spectrum of use and potentially different gas system length) gas port sizes, buffers can be used a little differently. What Bartocci says makes sense to me; however, as non-military users, we have more broad options that do not require such a rigid view of the buffer’s role.

I am not a subject matter expert.

scottryan
01-06-19, 14:15
Thats perfectly fine if he's repeating whatever reason the engineers wrote down as a historical anecdote but that isnt reality. I know for a #fact that there are savvy SF guys out there who will tune their buffer weight specifically to drop the the cyclic rate on their 416s suppressed and unsuppressed. Its also a #fact that there guys out there that had to scrounge H6 buffers because the H1's in their M4s didnt play well with M855A1. If thats not a military application I dont know what is.

The primary driving factor when selecting a buffer is barrel weight to prevent bolt bounce. What he said is the completely 100% correct answer.

Selecting a buffer to “cure” a overgassed gun is a secondary consideration. Notice I said “cure”. Going to a heavier buffer is treating a symptom of an overgassed gun. Reducing the gas port actually solves this problem.

Also, a heavier buffer does nothing to prevent premature unlocking and case head swipe.

scottryan
01-06-19, 14:20
I hear Chris’ comments on this as follows:

Based on the gas port sizing used by Colt as required for government weapons with a carbine gas system, the appropriate buffer weight is determined by barrel contour.

From what I gather, the video relays experience based on a specific model(s) of rifle that already had the most important aspect, gas port size, predetermined. For civilian purchasers who can acquire rifles with “more correct” (based on a different spectrum of use and potentially different gas system length) gas port sizes, buffers can be used a little differently. What Bartocci says makes sense to me; however, as non-military users, we have more broad options that do not require such a rigid view of the buffer’s role.

I am not a subject matter expert.

The problem with this line of thinking is most barrels on the market are not “more correct”

Most of them are POS hobby grade nonsense made to cycle consumer grade garbage .223 ammo.

scottryan
01-06-19, 14:25

Going to a heavier buffer does not slow down intial extraction.

It will not prevent premature unlocking or case head swipe.

Artiz
01-06-19, 16:42
The Army currently uses H2 buffers in their carbines as they are being converted over to SOCOM profiles, if they haven't done so already. Gas port sizes in both barrels is the same. Put an H2 buffer in a 6920 and it will run all day long.

Of course they are. You have to increase the buffer weight when you increase the barrel weight. Has nothing to do with gas port size here, altho gas ports do erode pretty damn fast and change the variables too.

Nobody said a 6920 won't run with an H2...

You're kidding right?

There isn't much regular military stuff that applies to SF and you know that already.

OF COURSE they need heavier (what buffer weight did you really mean tho? Not H6 I presume) buffers for the M855A1, that shit is as hot as proof loads and is destroying guns in no time. There was/is a big issue with magazine compatibility too. That's an Army shenanigan problem, not an M4 design problem.

JediGuy
01-06-19, 20:05
The problem with this line of thinking is most barrels on the market are not “more correct”

Most of them are POS hobby grade nonsense made to cycle consumer grade garbage .223 ammo.

By “more correct,” I specifically meant gas port sizes like Sionics RGP, BRT’s OPTIMUM design, and the Ballistica Advantage Hanson.

Iraqgunz
01-06-19, 20:25
I think you probably misunderstood my point.

Of course they are. You have to increase the buffer weight when you increase the barrel weight. Has nothing to do with gas port size here, altho gas ports do erode pretty damn fast and change the variables too.

You're kidding right?

There isn't much regular military stuff that applies to SF and you know that already.

OF COURSE they need heavier (what buffer weight did you really mean tho? Not H6 I presume) buffers for the M855A1, that shit is as hot as proof loads and is destroying guns in no time. There was/is a big issue with magazine compatibility too. That's an Army shenanigan problem, not an M4 design problem.

vicious_cb
01-08-19, 16:27

You're kidding right?

Saying just match the buffer weight to barrel profile is such limited thinking. By saying that you pretty much sending people down the wrong road in the regards how they should buffer their guns. As evidenced by the OP's first post.

ViniVidivici
01-08-19, 16:54
So why do we see people running standard weight carbine buffers in carbine stocks with heavy 18 or 20 inch barrels with no ill affects?

scottryan
01-09-19, 13:57
So why do we see people running standard weight carbine buffers in carbine stocks with heavy 18 or 20 inch barrels with no ill affects?

Because the bolt velocity on a rifle is lower than that of a carbine. It does not impact the chamber extension with such force.

Furthermore, these people running rifle length heavy barrels are not running them in full auto. Bolt bounce isn't much of an issue in semi auto.

scottryan
01-09-19, 13:57
Saying just match the buffer weight to barrel profile is such limited thinking. By saying that you pretty much sending people down the wrong road in the regards how they should buffer their guns. As evidenced by the OP's first post.

Recommending a heavy buffer to cure an overgassed gun is also sending someone down of the wrong road.

ViniVidivici
01-09-19, 14:55
Because the bolt velocity on a rifle is lower than that of a carbine. It does not impact the chamber extension with such force.

Furthermore, these people running rifle length heavy barrels are not running them in full auto. Bolt bounce isn't much of an issue in semi auto.

Awesome, thank you. I'm always learning. So in that application, there would be no reason to go to a heavier buffer, when things run smooth, brass is coming out around 3-4 o'clock? As in "don't fix what ain't broken"?

vicious_cb
01-09-19, 15:48
Recommending a heavy buffer to cure an overgassed gun is also sending someone down of the wrong road.

What about the venerated 6920? Clearly not overgassed but many on this board would recommend using an H2 buffer even though factory spec'd it ships with an H1.

TomMcC
01-09-19, 17:41

Question...how would you go about dealing with an over gassed gun? Re-barrel with the proper port? Adjustable gas block? Other options?

MistWolf
01-09-19, 21:20
What about the venerated 6920? Clearly not overgassed but many on this board would recommend using an H2 buffer even though factory spec'd it ships with an H1.
In my experience, changing buffer weights should be done to fine tune a properly gassed AR.

Question...how would you go about dealing with an over gassed gun? Re-barrel with the proper port? Adjustable gas block? Other options?
Change barrels, install a BRT Micro Tune kit or use an SLR adjustable gas block.

Hammer_Man
01-09-19, 22:12
None of this would be an issue if we would just stick to 20" barrels with 12" gas systems, just as Eugene Stoner the patron saint of direct impingement intended.

Straight Shooter
01-10-19, 00:36
In my experience, changing buffer weights should be done to fine tune a properly gassed AR.

Change barrels, install a BRT Micro Tune kit or use an SLR adjustable gas block.

What I did on a very gassy LMT 16" carbine 10 years or more ago: Swapped the semi-bcg for full auto...installed a RED chrome-silicon recoil spring from Sprinco & stepped up the buffer one notch. And finally- added a VG6 muzzle brake. Been a 100% flawless rifle that stays dead straight during firing, and recoils like a purring kitten.

scottryan
01-10-19, 09:09

Best option is to rebarrel. I have been extremely picky lately with my most current builds on what barrel I select.

Secondly, if rebarrel was not an option, I would install a BRT gas tube with reduced port.

I have also used factory Noveske barrels with factory pinned switchblocks if a long handguard is not required.

I will not use an adjustable gas block (or any gas block) with set screws.

I have also found on overgassed guns, going to a heavier buffer basically doesn't solve anything. It will not eliminate premature extraction. It will not eliminate case head swipe. And then it causes short stroking when the buffer gets too heavy.

AndyLate
01-10-19, 19:47

I'm not Scottyryan.

I did, however, install a .060 BRT Custom Tune Gas Port in the FSB of a seriously overgassed 16" carbine with excellent results.

It still locks open on an empty magazine running an H2 buffer, but I live in Alabama, so no cold weather testing here.

Andy

01-11-19, 20:21
No no no.

You need a special color super tactical spring and homemade mix of tungsten and steel weights to get a big window.

HKGuns
01-11-19, 20:55
So, I watched the video and he clearly stated he’s talking about Military rifles in full auto.

He also stated very clearly civilians in semi mode wouldn’t experience the types of issues he’s talking about.
He seems very well respected in the industry and has credentials.

I guess I don’t understand the controversy.

Artiz
01-11-19, 21:01

Says the guy who can't ****ing grasp the fact that this video is about what Colt designed and why they designed it the way they did. Has nothing to do with the civilian world.

Did you even watch the video? I got a strong feeling you didn't.

What people recommend on a forum has absolutely nothing to do with what engineers design and specify for the military.

I feel like I'm talking to a 5y/o who can't understand basic shit.

WS6
01-11-19, 23:12

You're kidding right?

Its as hot as m855 and runs fine.

vicious_cb
01-11-19, 23:30
Says the guy who can't ****ing grasp the fact that this video is about what Colt designed and why they designed it the way they did. Has nothing to do with the civilian world.

What people recommend on a forum has absolutely nothing to do with what engineers design and specify for the military.

Relax man, we're having a discussion about buffers here. I cant imagine having a conversation about actual AR engineering would be like with you :lol:

hk_shootr
01-12-19, 05:47
Wow........need some decaf.

All information is good information......some is just better than most.

HKGuns
01-12-19, 11:27

Exactly why he is on my ignore list. Hard to fathom how he’s still around.

vicious_cb
01-13-19, 01:50
Exactly why he is on my ignore list. Hard to fathom how he’s still around.

So what useful information have YOU posted lately? Oh right, you just post random bullshit in GD and tell everyone how awesome the 416 is. :rolleyes:

I love how worked up people get over buffers. Next time you attend a class with any decent carbine instructor please tell him how you matched your buffer to your barrel weight. You might actually contribute something worthwhile aka some laughter for once.

WS6
01-13-19, 05:39
I do not understand what is so difficult to grasp.

Buffer weight as a deadblow device is dictated by barrel mass.
Weapon function initiation and subsequent action is dictated by gas port size and pressure at the port.

The only way you have interaction between these systems, functionally, is when one is being used to compensate for the other, in which case you're dealing with a sub-optimal system and would be best served by correcting it, but then comes the "but money..." and other reasons that physics don't consult.

JSantoro
01-13-19, 08:58
He also stated very clearly civilians in semi mode wouldn’t experience the types of issues he’s talking about.
^DING

Everybody wants to think that they're part of the group on the right side of the bell-curve.

The language/info in the video is well couched to provide the context in which its creator is trying to present it. Many of those getting all amped up are pretty clearly taking the info OUT of that context...

...to the point where it almost reads to me as if it were deliberate. Stop that.

01-13-19, 15:12
Going to a heavier buffer does not slow down intial extraction.

It will not prevent premature unlocking or case head swipe.

A heavier buffer doesn't do much of anything unless the barrel is so overgassed that it causes a FTFeed.

MistWolf
01-13-19, 16:11
Changing buffer weights makes small but important differences.

Serious Account
01-13-19, 17:47
H2 needs to be the industry standard IMO instead of H1. And more AR manufactures need to build their AR around the H2 as the standard. H2 seems to be the best all around buffer that function well in a wide variety of situation. Same seems to apply to the A5H2

CajunCourier
01-19-19, 20:52
H2 needs to be the industry standard IMO instead of H1. And more AR manufactures need to build their AR around the H2 as the standard. H2 seems to be the best all around buffer that function well in a wide variety of situation. Same seems to apply to the A5H2

FNG here, I've been considering putting an H2 in my AR, but have wondered if it would cause malfunctions with .223. It has a gov't profile barrel, not the SOCOM.

vicious_cb
01-19-19, 21:02
FNG here, I've been considering putting an H2 in my AR, but have wondered if it would cause malfunctions with .223. It has a gov't profile barrel, not the SOCOM.

This is exactly the misinformation Im trying to counter. Yet people are still trying tell me Im wrong.

Cajun what matters is the gas system length and gas port, not the profile of your barrel. You need to tell us the gas system length and the mfg of the barrel so we can roughly gauge the gas port size.

hk_shootr
01-20-19, 04:48
Proper operation relies upon correctly matching the gas system components with the buffer and spring, for the weakest ammo one is shooting. There is no “one size fits all” buffer, too many barrel port variations.

AndyLate
01-20-19, 08:11
This is exactly the misinformation Im trying to counter. Yet people are still trying tell me Im wrong.

Cajun what matters is the gas system length and gas port, not the profile of your barrel. You need to tell us the gas system length and the mfg of the barrel so we can roughly gauge the gas port size.

Not Cajun, but...

I just picked up a 14.5" LMT M4 profile carbine upper. I probably will buy a complete LMT lower for it, which comes with an H1 buffer.

Would the LMT benefit from an H2 buffer right off the bat, or should I just shoot with the H1 and see how it acts?

Ammunition will range from modest .223 handloads to full 5.56 factory.

My BCM 16" middie runs that range with a H1 buffer, as does my 16" carbine (.060 port) with an H2.

Thanks
Andy

MistWolf
01-20-19, 10:24
Colt developed the H buffer because they encountered bolt bounce in the M4 during full-auto fire. They developed the H2 buffer because they again encountered bolt bounce during full-auto fire with the heavier M4 SOCOM barrel.

Andy, go ahead and shoot your LMT with the H buffer. It won't hurt anything. Until you actually shoot your rifle, you can only guess. During one experiment, I tuned the adjustable gas block until it would eject but not lock back on the last round using an H buffer. Then, I opened it one click so it would lock back every time. I then closed the AGB one click and tested it with the lighter CAR buffer. Same result. Function of the AR with the CAR buffer required the same settings of the AGB. I got the same results testing the H2 buffer. The difference was in the felt recoil. The felt recoil with the CAR buffer was sharper. Recoil with the H buffer was slightly sharper than with the H2 buffer. While felt recoil was softest with the H2 buffer, it also felt slightly sluggish. However, that didn't affect function during semi-auto rapid fire.

01-20-19, 11:24
^exactly

The buffers main function is damp the blow returning to battery.

Using it to control carrier speed is ridiculous.

That's why the A5 thread is the biggest joke on the internet.

vicious_cb
01-20-19, 14:44
Not Cajun, but...

I just picked up a 14.5" LMT M4 profile carbine upper. I probably will buy a complete LMT lower for it, which comes with an H1 buffer.

Would the LMT benefit from an H2 buffer right off the bat, or should I just shoot with the H1 and see how it acts?

Ammunition will range from modest .223 handloads to full 5.56 factory.

My BCM 16" middie runs that range with a H1 buffer, as does my 16" carbine (.060 port) with an H2.

Thanks
Andy

Yes, I have used that exact same LMT barrel with a H2 + springco blue with perfect functionality.

^exactly

The buffers main function is damp the blow returning to battery.

Using it to control carrier speed is ridiculous.

That's why the A5 thread is the biggest joke on the internet.

Nm. Im not even gonna bother with these people anymore.

AndyLate
01-20-19, 16:08
Thank you both Mistwolf and Vicious CB!

Andy

01-20-19, 16:44
Keep 'tuning' with buffers.

It doesn't matter like you think it does.

Most every AR in use in the entire world's military and police use an H or H2 buffer in everything from 10.3-20" barrels, suppressed, unsuppressed, M193-M855A1, semi, 3 round burst, and full auto.

But some guys on M4C have to tune up their A5 buffers with their own mix of steel and tungsten weights and special springs to get optimal reliability from their carbines?

Puh-leese.

CajunCourier
01-20-19, 16:46

It's a 16" Colt barrel. Carbine length gas system. Gas port: .063"

01-20-19, 17:31

It's apparent you've never read Colt's conclusions on buffers.

01-20-19, 17:32

Colt says H.

You can run pretty much any buffer you want with that barrel.

vicious_cb
01-20-19, 17:48

H2 + springco blue or A5H3 + springco green is what I found optimal. The springco buffer springs are not required but a nice addition, you can just use plain USGI buffer springs no problems.

CajunCourier
01-21-19, 15:30
H2 + springco blue or A5H3 + springco green is what I found optimal. The springco buffer springs are not required but a nice addition, you can just use plain USGI buffer springs no problems.

Cool. Thanks.