PDA

View Full Version : MRO Opinions?

seb5
01-07-19, 19:45
It's time for me to look at another optic. I've used T-1's since thy came out but when looking at adding one the high side of $800.00 with mount seems high. I'm not using it for work on a daily basis like I used to so that's hard to justify. I've been thinking about adding an MRO. I had one on an issued carbine for a time but will never put the tens of thousands of rounds through them like I did with T-1's. The downside of Admin. I've read many threads and reviews but am not really finding much, maybe that's good.

Over the years I developed a slight astigmatism but can still use a red dot. FWIW I currently have two Nightforces on my .308's, two different Trijicons on 2 AR's, and still the two T-1's on my duty/defense carbines.

Is the MRO a viable alternative to the T-1/2? Or do I just need to suck it up and buy a new T-2? Any advice appreciated.

diving dave
01-07-19, 20:10
I’ve been running one on a 14.5 inch BCM AR, on a ADM mount for awhile. No issues, I also have several T1’s. The MRO is solid in my opinion. The only real advantage of an aimpoint
Over the MRO, the dot on a T2 looks cleaner through a magnifier.

gaijin
01-07-19, 20:40
I have a few of them on carbines. Never any issues.
I prefer a RD for close work, my eyes still allow hits to 200 yds with an MRO.

hotrodder636
01-07-19, 21:08
Tagged to follow, interest in MRO.

glockshooter
01-07-19, 21:20
I personally have three and just outfitted our 26 swat guys with them. They are good optics and they don’t break the bank. I have been a career long Aimpoint guy, but I just can keep paying the ever increasing prices on Aimpoints. They is a early batch of MROs that had a slight magnification to them. The post 89k serial numbers are supposed to be true 1x. I have used Aimpoints and the MROs for training and live ops. The MRO as someone above mentioned does not play great with magnifiers. It elongated the dots on all the models I looked through. My per 89k models do have a slight magnification when you are looking for it, but during training, shooting, etc it isn’t noticeable. If your interested give it a shot. If you don’t like it well it in the EE.

seb5
01-07-19, 21:54
I appreciate the feedback. I think I'll give it a shot. What mounts are you using? I'm too used to lower 1/3 to consider switching. Like the BAD and Scalarworks with the BAD winning the price war currently. DSG has them at very competitive prices and I may check with Kenzies as well.

Vegas
01-08-19, 00:15
I used the Trijicon lower 1/3 mount because I'm cheap :D If you don't need QD, it's actually not a bad mount. Can't speak to hard use because I only have around 400 rounds on my MRO.

gaijin
01-08-19, 04:42
I use ADM and LaRue Co-Witnes, QD mounts and have been happy with them. I've come to prefer MagPul "Pro" for BUIS.

Doc Safari
01-08-19, 09:08
What I like about the MRO is that you from "OFF" to a usable setting. You don't have to toggle through a bunch of settings to get to one of the ones you use the most. And, no, I don't leave mine on all the time because I have other carbines with other optics that I use as well.

signal4l
01-08-19, 10:31
I have an astigmatism. The mro works much better for me than my old T1. I use an absolute Co witness mount. I look through the rear aperture for longer shots if I need to clean up the dot

Torquetard
01-09-19, 21:05
Huge disliker of them. Image shift, blurry with both eyes open and also doubling targets past 15m or so- just an an awful pos in my experience. Both pre, and >89k serials. Tried to like it, have looked through many different ones, and just find it to be a massive, massive piece of sh*t. If my life depended on it I'd rather point shoot

GH41
01-10-19, 06:18
Huge disliker of them. Image shift, blurry with both eyes open and also doubling targets past 15m or so- just an an awful pos in my experience. Both pre, and >89k serials. Tried to like it, have looked through many different ones, and just find it to be a massive, massive piece of sh*t. If my life depended on it I'd rather point shoot

So you are not an MRO fanboy??

mebiuspower
01-10-19, 07:50
Threads like this goes to show that once again everyone's eyes are different.

GH41
01-10-19, 14:29
Threads like this goes to show that once again everyone's eyes are different.

And that some never open their eyes at all.

officerX
01-10-19, 14:33
Deleted

C4IGrant
01-10-19, 14:57
I don't really care for them. They have a bit of a "fish eye" distortion going on and large shifts when the dot is not in the center of the optic. The MRO is basically a RMR.

I am currently running this: http://www.gandrtactical.com/Vortex-RAZOR-AMG-UH-1_p_890.html

I love the reticle and that it isn't an EOTech. Probably the best valued RDS on the market IMHO.

C4

arptsprt
01-10-19, 20:04
I’m not crazy about my MRO. For whatever reason the dot is not as clear as my Aimpoints or EoTechs with my astigmatism. I’d like to see a green reticle MRO. Anyone try one?

______

Grant,

First, that’s a heck of a price...

I am interested in one of these and looked at one at my local shop the other day. I’m reading mostly favorable reviews but your opinion carries some weight.

A couple questions please. How is the integrated mount? Decent? I’m still kind of on the fence with the size. It just seems big and bulky to me. It was not mounted on a gun when I was playing with it. Do you notice the size/bulk?

I also liked the reticle. I like my Eotechs.

Thanks.

I don't really care for them. They have a bit of a "fish eye" distortion going on and large shifts when the dot is not in the center of the optic. The MRO is basically a RMR.

I am currently running this: http://www.gandrtactical.com/Vortex-RAZOR-AMG-UH-1_p_890.html

I love the reticle and that it isn't an EOTech. Probably the best valued RDS on the market IMHO.

C4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ndmiller
01-10-19, 20:10
What I like about the MRO is that you from "OFF" to a usable setting. You don't have to toggle through a bunch of settings to get to one of the ones you use the most. And, no, I don't leave mine on all the time because I have other carbines with other optics that I use as well.

I have an astigmatism. The mro works much better for me than my old T1. I use an absolute Co witness mount. I look through the rear aperture for longer shots if I need to clean up the dot

The two reasons I bought a half dozen of these for all my rifles (10/22, H&R 300 Blk, AR's, Sig 556r)

seb5
01-10-19, 21:14
Looks like it's a crap shoot. I've always been told by people smarter than me that the red dot is preferable and easier to see for the way our eyes work. FWIW I haven't used an Eotech in decades, just Aimpoints and ACOG's other than variables. Maybe I just need to buy another T-1 or 2 or make the jump to the LPVO. I've always paid high dollar for optics anyway. Vortex intrigues me and maybe I need to try one or two but if it wasn't Aimpoint, Trijicon, or Nightforce I passed. I always liked the size and weight of the T-1's but maybe it's time to expand my horizons.

sbrown3
01-18-19, 00:04
I've owned just about every rds and holographic on the market. The MRO was my least favorite, like others said, image shift, blue tint and huge parallax shift. I'm back on Eotech at the moment, enjoy the completely tint free glass and huge field of view.

I've owned a few LPVO's and could never get on board. They sound great in theory, but they add at least 1.5 lbs to the rifle and the eye relief/eye box issues are irritating to me. Definitely useable and versatile, but I've went back zero magnification and couldn't be happier.

signal4l
01-18-19, 08:58
Try before you buy. As mentioned above, everyone's eyes, and preferences for optics, are different.

Krazykarl
01-18-19, 19:18
I have tried many times to like the MRO that I bought for my daughter. My astigmatism is worse with it compared to the aimpoint. The shift is pronounced. Like 8" at 100 yards. I hope it works better for her.

arptsprt
01-19-19, 15:30
I’ve tried to like mine too. The first couple uses I thought it would be fine. But the more use, the less I like it. Main reason is the dot is not nearly as clear as my Aimpoints and EoTechs. Disappointing.

I have since put it on my wife’s AR and she seems to do fine with it.

I did pick up one of the Vortex UH-1 sights and ran it yesterday. Nice, clear reticle. I was concerned about size vs Eotech but it’s a really decent size and balances nicely on the gun. We’ll see with more use but I think it will be a good alternative.

I have tried many times to like the MRO that I bought for my daughter. My astigmatism is worse with it compared to the aimpoint. The shift is pronounced. Like 8" at 100 yards. I hope it works better for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krazykarl
01-19-19, 17:24
I love the size of the MRO especially on a 6720 upper. If the MRO had the same levels of brightness as the aimpoint pro and crispness of dot, it would work for me. With the aimpoint pro, the intensity of the dot and it's smaller looking dot at the lower settings suits my astigmatism better. The aimpoint pro does surprisingly well at 200 yards as the dot can be dialed down.

sbrown3
01-24-19, 12:12
Each optic and person will vary. While I didn't like the blue tint and the image shift, I found the dot to be more crisp/rounder and smaller than my Aimpoint PRO.

Pappabear
01-24-19, 18:18
Well....since your a NF fanboy ( I feel your pain) just buy the 1-8 NXS. If you want to buy cheap, the damn Sig T1 knock off is amazing. Don’t get the new one with Eotech reticle, the battery underneath fks up aftermarket mounts up.

PB

Whitenightvision
02-19-19, 20:17
I really like them and while I trust them more than eotech I still file them in the same category. A would be military grade optic that fails too much to be a military grade optic. I know some might really disagree with me but eotech s break all the time. I’m not even going to debate that. The MRO seems better but I still see a tad too many failures. The newer ones seem better.

Doc Safari
02-20-19, 09:04
I really like them and while I trust them more than eotech I still file them in the same category. A would be military grade optic that fails too much to be a military grade optic. I know some might really disagree with me but eotech s break all the time. I’m not even going to debate that. The MRO seems better but I still see a tad too many failures. The newer ones seem better.

What were most of the failures?

ExplorinInTheWoods
02-20-19, 22:05
I’ve seen a lot of aimpoints fail. Comp m4’s and comp m2’s. No optic is unbreakable. I like the MRO’s that I have played with I like the Eotech I have. I don’t care much for the aimpoint I have used for work. I haven’t heard failure problems with MRO’s just blue tint 1.05 magnification if you look for it and the parallax problem but green eye tactical says the aimpoint micros have the worst parallax of all. Get what works for your eyes.

Rayrevolver
02-21-19, 07:19
I haven’t heard failure problems with MRO’s just blue tint 1.05 magnification if you look for it and the parallax problem but green eye tactical says the aimpoint micros have the worst parallax of all. Get what works for your eyes.

I believe the T-2 had much less parallax than the T-1, but these tests were not a big deal for me. That is for another thread.

When the MRO came out I sold off a Micro and RMR to try and standardize. Bought 2 MROs on Scalarworks mounts ($575 each!?!). I read all the negative reviews but I went for it.

Long story short, the more and more I used them, the more and more I hated them. I can deal with blue tint. I *think* the image shift was just hard on my brain. It was a stress to look through the optic on long range days is the best way I can describe it.

I had cheap optics for PCCs and 22s (Holosun/Sig Micro clones) and I ended up using those instead of the MROs.

I am now back to a hodgepodge of optics for my 2 primary carbines - Aimpoint PRO and Leupold LCO. And I am happy with both, particularly the LCO.

mebiuspower
02-21-19, 08:38
What were most of the failures?

I'd like to know also.

The initial batch of MROs did not come with batteries installed and people bend the contacts by installing the battery improperly. Soon after Trijicon shipped the units with the battery already installed.

The only issue beside the tint/fisheye of which both has been slightly improved since serial # 90,000 and up is the parallax is worse than an Aimpoint. But then, if you want to complain about that you shouldn't be using a RDS and should get an Eotech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUBcewtUBpQ

Don Quijote
02-21-19, 10:29

Where's all this failure data of yours coming from? Care to share it?

Rayrevolver
02-28-19, 11:02
Green MRO is on sale at Primary Arms for $369 without a mount.

I don't think I would ever buy one again unless I could get a later serial number in hand to see if there is much of a difference. My bet is that the slight improvement still won't work my eyes.

mebiuspower
02-28-19, 11:42
One thing with the Green MRO is tint is almost non-existent, but you get less battery life (1 year vs 5 years).

TheAlsatian
03-01-19, 19:24
I really like mine. It is a very sturdy piece. I am running it on my B&T APC9 right now but have had it on my Sig 553 in the past. No issues.

mgennardo83
03-05-19, 10:38
I’m not crazy about my MRO. For whatever reason the dot is not as clear as my Aimpoints or EoTechs with my astigmatism. I’d like to see a green reticle MRO. Anyone try one?

______

Grant,

First, that’s a heck of a price...

I am interested in one of these and looked at one at my local shop the other day. I’m reading mostly favorable reviews but your opinion carries some weight.

A couple questions please. How is the integrated mount? Decent? I’m still kind of on the fence with the size. It just seems big and bulky to me. It was not mounted on a gun when I was playing with it. Do you notice the size/bulk?

I also liked the reticle. I like my Eotechs.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I recently purchased a green dot. I have zero experience with the red version, just making that known. I personally don't like green. I'm having a harder time picking it up vs a red dot. Also, one downside of the green dot is the battery life is shortened to 1-year vs 5-year red dot version.

arptsprt
03-05-19, 17:58
I bought a green one to try as well. I didn’t like it either. I returned it. The reticle was actually worse in clarity vs a red dot. Surprised me because the green reticles on my Trijicon AGOGs are as clear as can be.

I recently purchased a green dot. I have zero experience with the red version, just making that known. I personally don't like green. I'm having a harder time picking it up vs a red dot. Also, one downside of the green dot is the battery life is shortened to 1-year vs 5-year red dot version.

sbrown3
04-08-19, 17:05
I just acquired a "second gen" MRO from a trade and I will say I like it much better than the older version I had. The blue tint is now barely noticeable and there is no magnification in this unit. If I would've had this second gen unit from the beginning I would've never gotten rid of it. I'm confident in saying the new MRO is GTG

Doc Safari
04-08-19, 17:17
After re-reading both RDS parallax threads I say if you plan to run an MRO, train yourself to try to center the dot over the front sight post to avoid the parallax-induced POI shift.

I love my MRO's.

But supposedly the MRO is AWFUL on parallax especially when the dot is not centered at longer ranges , so that's why I say train yourself to always center the dot as much as possible to the front sight post.

sbrown3
04-09-19, 05:17
Rodger that. I guess that's the price one pays to have the large objective lenses, there has to be some type of tradeoffs I suppose.

Diesel79
04-09-19, 06:17
I’ve got a green dot on the way from Scalarworks with one of their mounts. I’m coming from an Aimpoint PRO. Hopefully I like the green dot better.

RKB Armory
04-11-19, 09:34
If you don't like it, you can always sell it to us. I'm a big fan of the MRO, especially for the price.

Doc Safari
04-11-19, 09:40
If you don't like it, you can always sell it to us. I'm a big fan of the MRO, especially for the price.

I just went to your website and it says you're not buying MRO's. Are you getting ready to change that? I have a reason for asking.

RKB Armory
04-11-19, 09:48
I just went to your website and it says you're not buying MRO's. Are you getting ready to change that? I have a reason for asking.

I'll update the website this morning. If there's any specific item you want me to add, just use the contact form so we don't clutter this thread. I'll buy anything that is still relevant.

Back on topic, the only thing I wish were better in the MRO is the battery contact tabs are too easy to bend and break. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

Doc Safari
04-11-19, 09:56
I'll update the website this morning. If there's any specific item you want me to add, just use the contact form so we don't clutter this thread. I'll buy anything that is still relevant.

Back on topic, the only thing I wish were better in the MRO is the battery contact tabs are too easy to bend and break. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

PM sent.

maca1
04-11-19, 18:44
I just bought three optics to compare with the idea that two will go back and one will get mounted on a new build.

Eotech exps3-0
Mro with a Geissele mount
Vortex uh-1

Without a shadow of a doubt, the vortex was my preferred choice. Great reticle design, great mount and very positive brightness buttons. In contrast, the side mounted buttons on the Eotech sucked with gloves on.

The mro is ok, but I vastly preferred the vortex reticle design.

DaBigBR
04-11-19, 23:06
My agency has about 25 of them on department guns all on LaRue 849 mounts. We have had exactly one issue and it was determined to be an overtightened mount. We have another 15-20 MROs on personal guns in a variety of mounts (mostly factory, LaRue, and ADM). No issues there, either. Finally, I have three of them on some of my own guns, also no issues to report. I have several other optics as well, including Aimpoint Micros and I prefer the larger objective lens and location of the brightness dial on the MRO.

Trijicon dropped the MRO with perfect timing for us and our EOTech refunds basically bought our optics.

mebiuspower
04-12-19, 08:12
After re-reading both RDS parallax threads I say if you plan to run an MRO, train yourself to try to center the dot over the front sight post to avoid the parallax-induced POI shift.

I love my MRO's.

But supposedly the MRO is AWFUL on parallax especially when the dot is not centered at longer ranges , so that's why I say train yourself to always center the dot as much as possible to the front sight post.

All RDS are poor on parallax due to the curved front lens. Eotech has the least amount of parallax by a wide margin when it comes to non-magnified optic.

https://www.greeneyetactical.com/2017/07/27/comparative-study-of-red-dot-sight-parallax/

AndyLate
04-12-19, 20:32
I bought an MRO with MI QD mount on the EE here and I am quite happy with it. Lighter than my AP PRO, and easier to find batteries for.

RKB Armory
04-17-19, 08:44
Even when I hold old MROs (pre 89K serial number) next to new MROs, I still can't see any difference regarding magnification or blue tint. There is none of either to me, which is why I like The MRO.

It's interesting how differently peoples' eyeballs can see the same thing. That's why there is chocolate and vanilla.

Doc Safari
04-17-19, 08:53
I hated to give up my MRO's. I think the only reason I did is because I got hit with a $2,500 tax bill this year.

hburn
04-29-19, 13:21
I’m a huge mro fan, I have both the t2 and mro rifled abd got rid of the t2 to get another mro. I almost feel like the slight magnification zones me in on the target.

S10nova
05-01-19, 08:44
The MRO was my first "expensive " or "" duty grade" optic..it's on an AK currently and the reliability and knowing it's always on is pretty awesome..

tehpwnag3
05-14-19, 11:31
MRO Scout here. So far so good. I didn't like the non-QD mount it came with, so I got a BoBro.

HCM
05-14-19, 12:58
It's time for me to look at another optic. I've used T-1's since thy came out but when looking at adding one the high side of $800.00 with mount seems high. I'm not using it for work on a daily basis like I used to so that's hard to justify. I've been thinking about adding an MRO. I had one on an issued carbine for a time but will never put the tens of thousands of rounds through them like I did with T-1's. The downside of Admin. I've read many threads and reviews but am not really finding much, maybe that's good.

Over the years I developed a slight astigmatism but can still use a red dot. FWIW I currently have two Nightforces on my .308's, two different Trijicons on 2 AR's, and still the two T-1's on my duty/defense carbines.

Is the MRO a viable alternative to the T-1/2? Or do I just need to suck it up and buy a new T-2? Any advice appreciated.

I hated the original MRO - too much fish eye and blue tint.

The newer “Gen 2” with serial numbers greater than 89,000 is a great improvement. Much less tint, similar to an Aimpoint T1/H1 and the fish eye has been eliminated. Apparent the originals were not a true 1x. They were about 1.3 or 1.4x magnification the new ones are supposedly 1.1x - hence the elimination of the fish eye.

The one remaining criticism of the MRO is the limited range and number of adjustments which limits refinement of your zero.

I haven’t tried an MRO with a magnifier.

tehpwnag3
05-14-19, 13:07
Actually, the originals were 1.05x and had some edge distortion issues. The new ones are true 1x or as close to it as any Aimpoint I've owned/used.

grizzlyblake
08-01-19, 19:53
The price and form factor is awesome. The unacceptable parallax is not.

A bunch of sites had/have new T2s for $535 and some of the big boys will price match out of their inventory.

El Vaquero
08-03-19, 10:52
Where you seeing $535 for T2’s?

grizzlyblake
08-03-19, 11:04
https://ar15safespace.com/shop/aimpoint-micro-t-2-2-moa-w-standard-mount/

https://www.manventureoutpost.com/Aimpoint-200170-Micro-T-2-2-MOA-wStandard-Mount_p_22833.html

Add to cart to see the price change.

mebiuspower
08-03-19, 15:17
The price and form factor is awesome. The unacceptable parallax is not.

A bunch of sites had/have new T2s for $535 and some of the big boys will price match out of their inventory.

If parallax is an issue you should be using Eotech, since it is the best of all of them.

sundance435
08-03-19, 15:39
Read through the thread - opinions/advice needed.

I've bounced all over on RDSs. Various Aimpoints I've had always looked like clusters to me, probably due to astigmatism. EOTechs have always been a little fuzzy, but much cleaner and precise than Aimpoints for me. I have a Mepro RDS that's the best so far. However, I'm looking for something small to go on a lighter, simple carbine - EOTech is bigger and heavier than I want. People on here recommended the MRO to me and I checked one out today. On what I would call the most useful setting, the dot starts to "starburst" and one setting higher from that produces noticeable red refraction/reflection. One setting lower than the most useful was perfectly crisp, but not quite as bright as I would like for daylight shooting. Is the starburst my eyes, or is that common with these? It's not terrible and would probably be fine out to 200yds, but I'm not sure.

So is that common with MROs? This was the red version and I don't know if it was Gen 1 or 2. Would the green be any different? At this point, I'm on the fence about buying if the bursting and refraction are common or if its my eyes. Other than the MRO, I'm not sure what other options I have.

tehpwnag3
08-03-19, 17:03
Sorry, it's your eyes. You need to go with a prism scope or low power variable. Check out Primary Arms 1x prism. It's probably your best option since the dot is etched and ocular focused.