PDA

View Full Version : HK45 help

white spaniard
11-04-08, 16:48
Hi there everyone my HK pistol slide is not locking on last round in mag what could cause this? this is the first time I fired it I only put 100 rds through it.

WIN9639445
11-04-08, 18:06
I have never heard of this happening before on the HK45's. Is your gun German made or one of the newer U.S. made (Wilcox) ones?

VA_Dinger
11-04-08, 18:40
My first guess;

Your holding down the slide stop with your support hand. Try shooting it strong hand only to see if the slide locks back.

I went down this road years ago with one new 1911. I originally thought something was wrong with the gun but after seeking some help from more skilled friends they help me diagnose my grip issues and the problem went away. It's a new gun so you just need more time to get familiar with it.

Abiqua
11-04-08, 19:47
could also be a weak mag spring.

FlyingHunter
11-04-08, 20:42
I shoot a HK45 quite abit and I think VA Dinger has diagnosed this accurately. Your grip and hand position is probably the source. Have someone else shoot the gun e.g. different grip = different HK function = your grip is the source. Good luck and let us know what you uncover.

ToddG
11-05-08, 00:48
As a general rule, if a gun you're unfamiliar with is failing to lock back the slide, the problem as Dinger pointed out is probably the shooter.

The best way to test this is to load all of your mags with one round each. Shooting the gun left-hand only (regardless of whether you're right- or left-handed), shoot each magazine. If the gun locks back every time, it's not the gun and it's not the magazine, it's your grip.

You do it L-handed because most guns have their slide stop levers on the right side. Shooting with the left hand makes it harder to interfere with the lever. For guns with ambi levers, it's not really as important, though it's often useful to shoot it with your weak (non-dominant, support) hand.

Sidewinder6
11-05-08, 12:09
I also can fess up that when I first began shooting my HK45, I was expermenting with my grip and caused this malfunction once. You cant let your thumb inhibit the movement of the slidelock. I placed a bit of grip tape on the frame as a reference and am careful not to interfere.

Havent had any problems after that.

white spaniard
11-18-08, 13:41
Hi went shooting this morning and found out what I was doing wrong, Va Dinger was correct I am holding the slide stop down, so just adjusted my thumb and now no problems, thanks.

VA_Dinger
11-18-08, 20:28
Hi went shooting this morning and found out what I was doing wrong, Va Dinger was correct I am holding the slide stop down, so just adjusted my thumb and now no problems, thanks.

I'm glad to hear M4C was helpful in getting your issue resolved.