PDA

View Full Version : ACOG 4x32 Scope USMC Rifle Combat Optic (RCO) for M4

mtsusean
11-04-08, 18:25
So I got mine yesterday, and I must say,

it's not at all what I was expecting. I don't think I could ever reasonably use it for any purpose with that small of a reticle. I think I was anticipating something with a little more magnification and a larger corresponding reticle size. For me, there is a tremendous amount of eye-strain to acquire the target. I don't know that I would ever to be able to use the bullet drop compensator lines to differentiate target distances. I tried it with a 25m zero target, so it's not like I didn't have a good reference.

Seems to be a nice piece of equipment, just not what I was looking for.

LettersFromEarth
11-04-08, 19:31
So I got mine yesterday, and I must say,

it's not at all what I was expecting. I don't think I could ever reasonably use it for any purpose with that small of a reticle. I think I was anticipating something with a little more magnification and a larger corresponding reticle size. For me, there is a tremendous amount of eye-strain to acquire the target. I don't know that I would ever to be able to use the bullet drop compensator lines to differentiate target distances. I tried it with a 25m zero target, so it's not like I didn't have a good reference.

Seems to be a nice piece of equipment, just not what I was looking for.

The small reticle is one of the many good things about ACOGs. Im a bit confused though about your statement "I think I was anticipating something with a little more magnification...". You knew going in that it was a 4X optic, right? Sorry, Im not trying to sound like a dick. ACOGs are not "normal" optics. One of the reasons your reticle seems small is because the FOV of the TA31 series is pretty damn big and that sort of adds to the idea that something isnt right about the whole thing. You have a good COMBAT optic there, my friend. Give it a chance.

mtsusean
11-04-08, 21:57
I thought it would be easier to differentiate the different range "guides" and that the reticle would be larger. Yes, I see that it's a 4x powered optic device, but it's not like there are a lot of places I can look at one and compare models.

The chevron is brilliant, that part is nice. But trying to decide between 200m and 400m for me might be near impossible. I might use it with the point of the chevron and aim at everyone's nuts just to alleviate any confusion.

LettersFromEarth
11-05-08, 00:37
I thought it would be easier to differentiate the different range "guides" and that the reticle would be larger. Yes, I see that it's a 4x powered optic device, but it's not like there are a lot of places I can look at one and compare models.

The chevron is brilliant, that part is nice. But trying to decide between 200m and 400m for me might be near impossible. I might use it with the point of the chevron and aim at everyone's nuts just to alleviate any confusion.

Well, life is good then as shooting someone in the grapes is a time honored way of ending the fight! :D The attachment is from another thread. Look it over as I feel it offers a few "possibles" for ACOG users. Take care.

lowprone
11-05-08, 10:20
So will we be seeing it in the for sale collumn soon?

Surf
11-06-08, 21:19
I really like the ACOG at a bit of a distance. While I really don't have too much issue with the magnified optic at close ranges, two eyes open, it is not my favorite choice. Even though I have the Doc Optic, I really am not a big fan of it either. Cheek weld is not natural and I find myself going straight to the ACOG and not fishing for the red dot.

In reality, I run separate uppers, one with the ACOG and one with an Eotech and swap out uppers depending on what I am doing.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-06-08, 22:30
yeah, the ACOG reticule looks bigger in Call of Duty 4 than in real life, doesn't it? :p

i'll do you a favor and take that POS off your hands, free of charge. :D

in all seriousness, the small reticule is a good thing. its fast to acquire, has BDC, yet remains uncluttered. the BDC isn't the most precise thing in the world, but it seems to work quite well for the USMC. some trigger time with the TA31 will win you over i bet.

you might like the donut of death more than the chevron tho, if you're having issues.

good luck with it, hope you warm up to the optic eventually

mtsusean
11-09-08, 18:25
OK, all is right in the world after all.

I got it outside this weekend and had a chance to shoot it on a MRF range. It wasn't zeroed, just slapped it an M4 in a hurry and shot. I don't think I hit any 300m targets but wasn't really expecting to. I'll get a chance tomorrow to put the LaRue mount on and get it situated the way I want.

I might not ever be able to use the 600 or 800m lines but nonetheless I was pretty impressed with it. Don't expect to see it in the classifieds anytime soon :cool:.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-09-08, 21:06
glad its growing on you.

safe shooting!