PDA

View Full Version : Netflix: Punisher Season 2

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-10-19, 11:49
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4gJJDcyWK0

New season trailer. Drops Jan 18th?

The first season was OK, the S1 trailer was AWESOME. This one not as good as the S1 trailer. We'll have to see about the episodes.

Circle_10
01-10-19, 12:07
The main villain is apparently an "Alt-right, christian fundamentalist", which could either be really interesting or really bad and agenda-driven depending on how it's handled.

Firefly
01-10-19, 12:57
Remember in the comics when Punisher fought the mob and drug dealers?
Good times

Jer
01-11-19, 09:04
Remember in the comics when Punisher fought the mob and drug dealers?
Good times

Ah the good ol' days.

Averageman
01-11-19, 12:03
My Son told me Disney has bought the Marvel franchise and Net Flicks will no longer be able to present any more of the Marvel movies.
Anyone know if this is correct?

Nowski87
01-11-19, 13:04
My Son told me Disney has bought the Marvel franchise and Net Flicks will no longer be able to present any more of the Marvel movies.

That is correct. Since Disney owns Marvel all its properties are owned by Disney, and they are starting their own streaming service. Now it is mostly the Disney movies with the Marvel movies soon to come. The other Marvel Netflix shows have been canned because of this.

With the adult nature of these shows though many believe that they will be going to Hulu as Disney is the parent company of that service.

As for Frank fighting a crazy alt right preacher, he did fight a vigilante by the name of Preacher who was a lunatic priest that was an axe murderer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firefly
01-11-19, 16:08
The Punisher being “timely” is stupid and lame.

I wish they would spend their efforts on adapting Punisher: The Platoon or maybe Born

Where you see Frank Castle in Vietnam. The appeal is that he isn’t some wacko with a gun. He is a competent soldier who uses common sense and ingenuity.

The whole appeal of Punisher and its progenitor The Executioner is that the mob kills his family, cops don’t do anything meaningful about it. He uses his combat efficiency to dispatch the mob and just keeps going. Occasionally he fights supervillains. In his very first appearance, the only reason he fought Spider-Man was because he was convinced that Spider Man was a bad guy.

Making him some figure to just shoot someone people get annoyed with is a disservice to the character. The Punisher isn’t going to shoot a jaywalker nor even some hippie smoking a joint in the boys’ room. He goes after human traffickers and mass murderers.

The chirality of Batman and Punisher is that Batman was a kid traumatized by his parents murder. Punisher was back from Vietnam just trying to do the family thing when mobsters did what mobsters do.

I believe if we didn’t live in such a bullshit PC culture that Punisher would be wasting Bloods and Crips left and right.

But that wouldn’t be “socially responsible”

Because somehow some creep with a stolen Bersa killing people in a home invasion is a victim.

HMM
01-11-19, 18:25
I'll watch it. 1st season was pretty good. A little over the top but I always collected the comics as a kid. Still have a bunch of the Punisher War Journal comics up stairs in a box.

Vandal
01-11-19, 22:54
I was pretty disappointed in Season One, probably not going to watch Season Two.

Tx_Aggie
01-12-19, 08:46
I was pretty disappointed in Season One, probably not going to watch Season Two.

Me neither.

MountainRaven
01-12-19, 14:34
I enjoyed season 0.5 (Daredevil S2) and season 1, so I plan on watching this second season, too.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-12-19, 18:02

It was a letdown compared to the trailer for S1. That was pure awesome.

The left can't seem to handle that they make the govt out to be this evil, all powerful cabal that must be stopped, and at the same time is the solution to all their problems. Interesting cognitive dissonance. S1 did drag on at times, but Berenthal carried the series.

JediGuy
01-12-19, 21:41
Really? They’re doing the “Christian fundamentalist” preacher thing?

I mean, they already did the evil white mercenary sleeping with the heroic Afghani-immigrant/child of immigrants thing.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-20-19, 19:10
Started the first episode. Not bad so far.

MountainRaven
01-20-19, 19:22
Started the first episode. Not bad so far.

I'm three episodes in and enjoying it.

It's not as good as it could be, but it's as good as I've come to reasonably expect from Netflix.

flenna
01-20-19, 19:59

I mean, they already did the evil white mercenary sleeping with the heroic Afghani-immigrant/child of immigrants thing.

Remember now, the Obamas are at the helm of Netflix. So expect to see more of that.....

Moose-Knuckle
01-21-19, 05:46
The main villain is apparently an "Alt-right, christian fundamentalist", which could either be really interesting or really bad and agenda-driven depending on how it's handled.

Gotta push the agenda . . .

Buckle Up, The Punisher's Season 2 Villain Is An Alt-Right Christian Fundamentalist
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2019/01/01/buckle-up-the-punishers-season-2-villain-is-an-alt-right-christian-fundamentalist/#428bebff5f29

Disney is gobbling up everything, yes they purchased Marvel but Netflix is still streaming Marvel films and Marvel Cinematic Universe television series:

Marvel's Daredevil
Marvel's Jessica Jones
Marvel's Luke Cage
Marvel's Iron Fist
Marvel's The Defenders
Marvel's The Punisher

Tx_Aggie
01-21-19, 08:46
Disney is gobbling up everything, yes they purchased Marvel but Netflix is still streaming Marvel films and Marvel Cinematic Universe television series:

Marvel's Daredevil - Cancelled after season 3
Marvel's Jessica Jones - Rumored to be cancelled after season 3
Marvel's Luke Cage - Cancelled after season 2
Marvel's Iron Fist - Cancelled after season 2
Marvel's The Defenders - Cancelled after 1st season
Marvel's The Punisher - Most likely cancelled after season 2

Averageman's son is correct.

Marvel has been pulling the plug on all of their Netflix original content, despite them being some of the most watch shows on Netflix. And it doesn't sound like they will be continuing on the new Disney streaming service once it launches (the cast of Daredevil has been expressing their dissatisfaction with the show not being renewed after the 3rd season, lots of "Save Daredevil" stuff going around, etc).

Word is once the Disney service it up, all Disney owned content will be disappearing from Netflix, Amazon, etc. and you'll have to subscribe to their service to see any of it. That includes Marvel, Starwars, etc.

sundance435
01-21-19, 08:56
I'm 5 episodes into Season 2 and it's gone off the rails. It sucks. The plot is so thin that I can't believe they even greenlighted it. Christian fundamentalists as the main villain? Really? Production value seems to have taken a hit, too, and John Bernthal is completely under-utilized.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-21-19, 09:10
Disney: where good franchises go to die.

prdubi
01-21-19, 09:34
I like it...

Call me the contrarian.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Voodoochild
01-21-19, 11:01
I'm on episode 8 or 9 and it's ok. I'm not seeing the whole SJW stuff people were talking about.

Peshawar
01-21-19, 21:25
Disney: where good franchises go to die.

Disney can be a tough place to work. I’ve heard former employees refer to it as “mouseschwitz”.

Firefly
01-21-19, 23:34
Disney is lame.

I like the DC cartoon movies more.
The Dark Knight Returns was great.

They messed up Killing Joke though

Moose-Knuckle
01-22-19, 05:48
Averageman's son is correct.

Marvel has been pulling the plug on all of their Netflix original content, despite them being some of the most watch shows on Netflix. And it doesn't sound like they will be continuing on the new Disney streaming service once it launches (the cast of Daredevil has been expressing their dissatisfaction with the show not being renewed after the 3rd season, lots of "Save Daredevil" stuff going around, etc).

Word is once the Disney service it up, all Disney owned content will be disappearing from Netflix, Amazon, etc. and you'll have to subscribe to their service to see any of it. That includes Marvel, Starwars, etc.

I stand corrected then.

Both Star Wars feature films as well as the latest Marvel movies are all streaming on Netflix currently so I guess they haven't worked everything out yet?

It's going to get to a point where individual studios are all going to have streaming services that you will have to subscribe to in order to watch all your favorite shows/movies.

Tx_Aggie
01-22-19, 09:17
I stand corrected then.

Both Star Wars feature films as well as the latest Marvel movies are all streaming on Netflix currently so I guess they haven't worked everything out yet?

They're still in transition - there are old contracts to honor. Disney has been saying their service will go live towards the end of 2019.

It's going to get to a point where individual studios are all going to have streaming services that you will have to subscribe to in order to watch all your favorite shows/movies.

Yeah, I think that's where everything is heading.

More details here:

https://disneynews.us/disney-streaming-service/

The article mentions Netflix had the exclusive streaming rights for Star Wars films though 2018, and for all Marvel movies through Ant Man & Wasp, but doesn't mention a cut-off date for the Marvel streaming rights. It could be that those movies will continue on Netflix for a while before being moved, but it sounds like Captain Marvel and everything after will be Disney only.

MountainRaven
01-26-19, 21:08
So I completed the series a few days ago.

There is no alt-right Christian preacher bad guy.

Spoilers ahead.

There is a preacher, but if he's the big bad, the only way it's happening is if they pull an M. Night Shyamalan for Season 3, cuz he was barely on screen for more than 30 seconds.

The bad guys are (from least dangerous to most):

A female psychiatrist who is damaged goods.

A reformed white nationalist (who dresses vaguely like a preacher, probably where the, "alt-right Christian preacher," angle comes from, but he's very much a layman).

Billy "Jigsaw" Russo, the, "evil white mercenary," from last season. Who forms a veterans' mafia.

An oil magnate and his wife, who have been using Super PACs to target people running for office as a means to coerce the candidates benefitting from the super PACs to lean toward legislation they favor.

Spoilers end.

There are no politics in the season. The closest we get, to my eyes, is when Castle tells a Russian mobster, "Call me old fashioned, but I don't work for Russians." Which you could view as a burn of Trump... or Hillary. Or both.

Firefly
01-26-19, 21:19
I just want to see Punisher fight Spiderman like the comic

jpmuscle
01-26-19, 21:56
I finished it this week as well. Thought it was pretty decent.

FireFly’s assessment is accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honu
01-26-19, 22:14
they do say that right wing videos on youtube are all conspiracy etc..
there is some make fun of Christians stupidity in it for sure ?

enough to ruin it ? nah it ruined itself with really bad writing and really bad acting and really bad effects this time around and so many other things

worth watching when doing something else not worth watching and concentrating on IMHO :)

Doc Safari
01-29-19, 10:58
Not only does Disney destroy everything they swallow up, but also Thomas Jane was the best punisher, bar none.