PDA

View Full Version : Bad Times At The El Royale (Review)

WillBrink
01-13-19, 08:37
A modern homage to film noir. A strong cast, solid film making, great soundtrack, and plot makes Bad Times At The El Royale worth a watch for fans of the genre. It's dark, very violent, and a bit surreal. Rare to see a movie like this in modern times, where reboots of garbage are the norm. The cast took a pay cut to make this movie knowing it could be something above the typical junk that passes for movies these days. Per usual, Jeff Bridges is a scene stealer being a master of his craft. Quentin Tarantino could have made this film if he were a better director... The ending drags some and gets predictable and formulaic, but it does not ruin an otherwise strong movie. This film deserves to be seen if for no other reason to send the message (and $ is always the message they wanna hear) we want more original movies that take a chance. A-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7wzBVARwaU

THCDDM4
01-13-19, 09:17
A modern homage to film noir. A strong cast, solid film making, great soundtrack, and plot makes Bad Times At The El Royale worth a watch for fans of the genre. It's dark, very violent, and a bit surreal. Rare to see a movie like this in modern times, where reboots of garbage are the norm. The cast took a pay cut to make this movie knowing it could be something above the typical junk that passes for movies these days. Per usual, Jeff Bridges is a scene stealer being a master of his craft. Quentin Tarantino could have made this film if he were a better director... The ending drags some and gets predictable and formulaic, but it does not ruin an otherwise strong movie. This film deserves to be seen if for no other reason to send the message (and $ is always the message they wanna hear) we want more original movies that take a chance. A-

My wife and I very much enjoyed this flick. Very entertaining. A- for sure.

Definitely worth checking out and I will buy it to help support the filmmaker, now that I know the back story. Thanks, Will.

VARIABLE9
04-25-19, 11:17
Just watched this. Will’s review is pretty much spot on. I wish they had cast someone else instead of the guy who plays Thor but it was still a good watch overall. Better than ‘The Predator’ for sure.

Doc Safari
04-25-19, 11:23
I keep trying to convince my girlfriend we need to watch this one.

Now I really want to see it.

(I guess I better not subscribe to this thread just in case someone posts spoilers). ;)

Whiskey_Bravo
04-25-19, 11:50
Watched it on a recent return trip from Germany. Damn good movie. Significantly better than I was expecting.

WillBrink
04-25-19, 13:26
Watched it on a recent return trip from Germany. Damn good movie. Significantly better than I was expecting.

When I say the chit's an A-, it's an A - yo :dance3:

sundance435
04-25-19, 15:23
Just watched this. Will’s review is pretty much spot on. I wish they had cast someone else instead of the guy who plays Thor but it was still a good watch overall. Better than ‘The Predator’ for sure.

Same on the Thor casting. Needed someone Manson-esque without being too Manson-esque...and not jacked. Overall, the movie was way better than I was expecting.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-25-19, 18:10
I though it was OK. Well shot and acted. Just didn't affect me that deeply.

HardToHandle
04-26-19, 05:19
First 60% of the movie had me wanting more... Plot twists, interesting characters and good production.

The ending was cheesy, painfully long and full of silly dialogue. Feels like they called it in.

ramairthree
04-26-19, 11:16
Thanks.
I like movies set in this era.
Cool cars, no seatbelt wearing, tons of drinking, people smoking everywhere, etc.

When you were a kid in this setting, you thought being a grown up was going to be cool and fun,
Not the nanny Nazi bunch of panties and home owners associations we are suck with now.

lowprone
04-26-19, 16:49
Yeah if they won't let you keep chickens ( 3 egg omelets ), you really do live in a Not Zee neighborhood.