PDA

View Full Version : 590A1 - My Review of Vang Comp Accessories

1022rimfire
11-05-08, 00:44
All,

I recently ordered some Vang Comp accessories for my Mossberg 590A1 and wanted to give a quick review of the items. I'm left handed and went with a 590A1 for it's ambidextrous safety and stock ghost ring sights. I prefer the 18.5" length for shorter length and slightly better balance.

The stock gun is quite good. It is robust and has a notably heavy barrel. The action rattles more than I expected is is heavier than I expected. The Surefire fore end with P60L LED lighting is nice (it's the model with lock-out, to prevent accidental light-spill and activation) and I consider it mandatory on a home defense shotgun.

The Speedfeed stock holds extra rounds and I found it pretty long and a little uncomfortable. I replaced it with a Hogue 12" LOP unit, and have a Kick-Eez slip-on recoil pad (size Small) which brings it to about 12 3/4" LOP. Perfect for me.
Overall, a good stock weapon with a 5+1 magazine capacity.
It shoots well and patterns good with Federal low recoil 00 buck. At my local indoor range, the pattern stayed well within the chest at ranges less than 30 feet. This is fine for what I consider "home defense" ranges.

I recently ordered these items from Vang Comp:
+1 Magazine Exension
Oversized Safety
Stainless Steel Follower

The +1 magazine extenstion installed very easily. It came with a new, longer magazine spring and bright green plastic follower. It does exactly what is supposed to: Adds one more shot for a total of 6+1 rounds. A sling attachment is included. I need a circlip spreader to reverse it for a lefty. Otherwise, it's a great addition as 5 shots should be enough, but 6+1 makes me feel even better. I *do* wonder why they didn't go with a +2 extension for a total of 7+1, like an 870... A sidesaddle on the receiver holds another 6 rounds.

The oversized safety is a must-have. The stock metal safety on a 590A1 works well. Durable and usable. The Vang unit is a bit wider and *much* easier to flick from "safe" to "fire". Very positive to activate on/off. This is key in a stressful situation and I find their unit to be much superior. It's my favorite upgrade of the three I purchased.
I was worried I would have trouble removing the stock safety with it's one-way flat-head screw, but I pressed very hard with my flat-head screwdriver and was able to remove the stock screw on my first attempt. I did scuff up and widen the stock safety, but was ok with this as it's an inexpensive part.

Stainless Steel Follower: It is nicely machined and has a hollow cap for tactile feel in low-light conditions. The folks at Vang Comp took the time to answer my questions over the phone and they (and various forums) suggested a metal follower over a plastic one. The plastic ones are less durable and the stainless steel unit should last forever. It fit with no problems and it's true, you can easily feel the hole in it indicating no shotshells in the mag tube.
It's not brightly colored but visually still stands out because of the hole in it.

I give the Vang Comp accessories a thumbs-up for fit and ease of installation.
I'd like to get my barrel ported one of these days to reduce recoil and muzzle flash, and am considering their back-bore mod.

I do wonder how the Federal Flite Control 00 buck patterns from their modded barrel (is it *too * tight?) At closer ranges (home defense vs. patrol), I personally feel a wider (or not super tight) pattern may not be a bad thing at all... Otherwise I'd just go for a rifle/carbine.

Regardless, I'm very happy with these upgrades to my 18.5" 590A1.

A pic is attached for your reference. Any input or suggestions you have would be appreciated. Thanks.

PS: I'd love to get an 870 but I feel a left-handed safety is mandatory. I want to be able to flick off the safety with a loaded chamber to take a shot, and not fumble/reach around and alter my firing grip to do so.
If anyone can confirm that I can install a left-handed safety (with jumbo-head?), I would like to get an 870 as well. Please chime in if this is doable!

Dan Goodwin
11-05-08, 12:24
It is said to be preferable to order an entire lefthand trigger group for your 870.

toddackerman
11-06-08, 20:01
All,

I recently ordered some Vang Comp accessories for my Mossberg 590A1 and wanted to give a quick review of the items. I'm left handed and went with a 590A1 for it's ambidextrous safety and stock ghost ring sights. I prefer the 18.5" length for shorter length and slightly better balance.

The stock gun is quite good. It is robust and has a notably heavy barrel. The action rattles more than I expected is is heavier than I expected. The Surefire fore end with P60L LED lighting is nice (it's the model with lock-out, to prevent accidental light-spill and activation) and I consider it mandatory on a home defense shotgun.

The Speedfeed stock holds extra rounds and I found it pretty long and a little uncomfortable. I replaced it with a Hogue 12" LOP unit, and have a Kick-Eez slip-on recoil pad (size Small) which brings it to about 12 3/4" LOP. Perfect for me.
Overall, a good stock weapon with a 5+1 magazine capacity.
It shoots well and patterns good with Federal low recoil 00 buck. At my local indoor range, the pattern stayed well within the chest at ranges less than 30 feet. This is fine for what I consider "home defense" ranges.

I recently ordered these items from Vang Comp:
+1 Magazine Exension
Oversized Safety
Stainless Steel Follower

The +1 magazine extenstion installed very easily. It came with a new, longer magazine spring and bright green plastic follower. It does exactly what is supposed to: Adds one more shot for a total of 6+1 rounds. A sling attachment is included. I need a circlip spreader to reverse it for a lefty. Otherwise, it's a great addition as 5 shots should be enough, but 6+1 makes me feel even better. I *do* wonder why they didn't go with a +2 extension for a total of 7+1, like an 870... A sidesaddle on the receiver holds another 6 rounds.

The oversized safety is a must-have. The stock metal safety on a 590A1 works well. Durable and usable. The Vang unit is a bit wider and *much* easier to flick from "safe" to "fire". Very positive to activate on/off. This is key in a stressful situation and I find their unit to be much superior. It's my favorite upgrade of the three I purchased.
I was worried I would have trouble removing the stock safety with it's one-way flat-head screw, but I pressed very hard with my flat-head screwdriver and was able to remove the stock screw on my first attempt. I did scuff up and widen the stock safety, but was ok with this as it's an inexpensive part.

Stainless Steel Follower: It is nicely machined and has a hollow cap for tactile feel in low-light conditions. The folks at Vang Comp took the time to answer my questions over the phone and they (and various forums) suggested a metal follower over a plastic one. The plastic ones are less durable and the stainless steel unit should last forever. It fit with no problems and it's true, you can easily feel the hole in it indicating no shotshells in the mag tube.
It's not brightly colored but visually still stands out because of the hole in it.

I give the Vang Comp accessories a thumbs-up for fit and ease of installation.
I'd like to get my barrel ported one of these days to reduce recoil and muzzle flash, and am considering their back-bore mod.

I do wonder how the Federal Flite Control 00 buck patterns from their modded barrel (is it *too * tight?) At closer ranges (home defense vs. patrol), I personally feel a wider (or not super tight) pattern may not be a bad thing at all... Otherwise I'd just go for a rifle/carbine.

Regardless, I'm very happy with these upgrades to my 18.5" 590A1.

A pic is attached for your reference. Any input or suggestions you have would be appreciated. Thanks.

PS: I'd love to get an 870 but I feel a left-handed safety is mandatory. I want to be able to flick off the safety with a loaded chamber to take a shot, and not fumble/reach around and alter my firing grip to do so.
If anyone can confirm that I can install a left-handed safety (with jumbo-head?), I would like to get an 870 as well. Please chime in if this is doable!

You don't even need the Vang Comp Barrel/ Choke/ Forcing Cone modification with the Flite Control Wads! It wouldbe too tight. The Flite Control ad loads are already perfect out of a 18" IC barrel.

SRG
11-07-08, 10:05
You don't even need the Vang Comp Barrel/ Choke/ Forcing Cone modification with the Flite Control Wads! It wouldbe too tight. The Flite Control ad loads are already perfect out of a 18" IC barrel.

This is true, and if one could ALWAYS be assured of being able to get the Federal Flight Control shells, this would be the way to go. BUT, sometimes one has to go with what is available at the time, and that may not be the Flight Control.

toddackerman
11-07-08, 10:15
This is true, and if one could ALWAYS be assured of being able to get the Federal Flight Control shells, this would be the way to go. BUT, sometimes one has to go with what is available at the time, and that may not be the Flight Control.

Well, that's like saying that you need to have all of your shotguns Vang Comp'd because you don't know what will be in your hand and what load will be available. Almost everyone i know has plenty of their "Pet Loads" for each type of weapon. 75 Gn Tap for ANY M4, 230 gn Fefderal HST JHP's for ANY 1911, and plenty of Federal flight control wad loads for ANY of their shottys.

I don't use any of these for training. No need to because of expens and the availability of less costly training alternatives. I know when a shot is centered with #8 bird shot by the pattern in the target or by knocking down the plate. Same with rifle and pistol loads.

Again...if you're going to use Federal Flight Control 00 or 000 Buck, the Vang Comp barrel modification will cause patterns that are extremely and IMHO "Overly" tight.

varoadking
11-09-08, 11:23
I have one of the Vang Comp oversized safeties on one of my 870P's. Good stuff.

I had a full blown Vang Comp 870 years ago - didn't like it. Aside from shooting poorly, it cost a fortune. Sold it to someone who just had to have a Vang Comp...

If you are looking for a great shop to perform forcing cone or other work at a reasonable price - this is your guy:

http://www.shotgunchokes.com/

Porting is unnecessary and provides no benefits whatsoever, IMHO...

MTR7
11-15-08, 21:50
I do not undersatnd it will shoot to tight with Fed. Flight control. My runs fine, patterns are tight in close, so what. It is like shooting a slug. And gets me useable hits on an IPSC/IDPA Option target at 45 yards every time. Good hits and all pellets acounted for. Yours wight be diff. I just wish I could find some one to do this type of back boring/ forcing cone on my Beloved M1Super 90.
Matt

patrol120
11-24-08, 19:35
I would agree with the above poster in that I feel the Federal Flite Control has made Hans Vang's barrel work all but obsolete.

Submariner
12-25-08, 11:19
Just checked ammunitiontogo.com; they no longer have Federal Flite Control 12 gauge (or any Federal ammo.).

Where are you finding the best price?

1022rimfire
01-04-09, 19:51
ammunitiontogo.com is my go-to source but yep, they are out.

I did find this source, but I've never ordered from them before:
http://www.streichers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?Catalog=Guns%20and%20Ammo&Prod=FC-132LE

Good luck finding some - I'd like to get a several more boxes (50 rd mini-cases), too.

ilmonster
02-18-09, 21:50
1022Rimfire, no problem with Streichers. We have one here in Wisconsin and I have bought ammo and a 870P from them. Nice folks to deal with.