PDA

View Full Version : 7.5" or 10.5" barrel...?

jswanson
11-05-08, 05:36
For my new AR pistol build... I'm going to build the upper. I just can't decide on the barrel length...

Pros....cons... for a 7.5 or a 10.5 barrel.

Thanks in advance!

LonghunterCO
11-05-08, 09:53
The 10.5" is going to allow you to use convential AR components (i.e. carbine gas tube, handguard). It is going to get you better velocities. The Cons are that it is going to be heavier and a little less managable.
The 7.5" is going to be lighter and more manuverable, but at the potiental of less reliability.
On my build it came down to this. [flame suite on] there are more "Quality" 10.5" -12" barrels out there than 7.5". If you are ever thinking about SBRing the lower and using this upper then I would go with the 10.5" and a barrel from a quality manuf. If you have your heart set on a 7.5" then I would assess if this is only even going to be a range toy or if not then spring for a Noveske barrel.

RET.Lawdog
11-08-08, 22:42
I have a Noveske 7.5" Diplomat. It is a very reliable weapon and very accurate shooting sub MOA out to 40 yards and 1.5" at 80. After that the rounds tend to fly but still pulled of a 5 round group of 4.5. Very good for such a short barrel. My opion is if you have the $ to put down on the top drawer uppers then go as small as you want. I will put My Noveske up against most 10.5, and even 14.5.
I will say though my SBR does not like Wolf ammo and will short stroke the metal cassing. But once you put brass in it eats it up.

Goober
01-30-09, 01:30
If it is gonna be a "pistol" then might as well go with the 7.5. Anything over that is gonna be getting long and heavy. Just make sure you use quality parts if accuracy and reliability are desired. If a SBR is your goal then both are fun but the round isn't worth much out of anything less than a 20". Now a 10" 6.8 is my personal favorite ;).

-Goober