PDA

View Full Version : Rail questions

Jon G23
11-01-06, 09:44
I am making my first AR build and am going with the look of the S&W M&P15T.

I want high quaility parts only. I have started with a RRA Lower and their parts kit and have it installed. I also went with a Magpul CTR Stock.

For my upper, I want (probably) a Noveske 16" with a vortex.

My Rail question is this.... What do you think is the best rails? I am leaning toward Larue and I want a 12.0 rail. Are the D.D. rails any better or are they similar in quality? Is one easier than the other to install? Are thair any other rails that are as good as these two that you'de prefer?

All comments are most appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

Paulinski
11-02-06, 20:20
I have DD rails on my uppers and I love them. I never seen Larue rails but many people praise them. In my opinion the choice here is strictly personal preference. You can't really go wrong with either one.

rob_s
11-03-06, 07:19
If comparing the basic DD rail and the Larue rail, the Larue has a more secure mount but is heavier. The DD is lighter but also taller.

I make my choices based on which features I prefer, as I find the quality to be equal. I choose DD because I like things light.

SinnFéinM1911
11-03-06, 08:05
They all have great features in hter own way, if you are looking for a rail that has pretty much the most rugged mounting system and lines alomst perfectly up with your flattop upper, then go with a TROY INDUSTRIES. I think price wise its about $225 or so, I'm not really sure, I have not worked for them in months.

Like I said they all have outstanding quailites, it wil be for you to decide which ones you are looking for and your own budget.

B

Jon G23
11-03-06, 08:46
(snip) if you are looking for a rail that has pretty much the most rugged mounting system and lines alomst perfectly up with your flattop upper, then go with a TROY INDUSTRIES.
B

So the DD and LaRue don't line up so well? The Troy is what is on the S&W Tactical and I like the looks, but I was thinking the LaRue was a better rail???

Maybe I need to rethink this more.

Thanks for the comments.

C4IGrant
11-03-06, 09:10
So the DD and LaRue don't line up so well? The Troy is what is on the S&W Tactical and I like the looks, but I was thinking the LaRue was a better rail???

Maybe I need to rethink this more.

Thanks for the comments.

I think what he is trying to say is that the TROY rails will run up against your receiver. With the DD and LT rails there will be a gap between the receiver and rail.

C4

Jon G23
11-03-06, 09:13
I think what he is trying to say is that the TROY rails will run up against your receiver. With the DD and LT rails there will be a gap between the receiver and rail.

C4

Oh!! Ok, thanks for clearing that up!! I don't mind the gap "that" way. I thought he meant height-wise!!

Thanks again!

SinnFéinM1911
11-03-06, 09:33
Either way you go dude, you looking at the top 3 rails on the market, hands down. The choice is yours.