PDA

View Full Version : new lower

moonshot
01-17-19, 21:50
I'm looking at buying a new complete lower in the next few weeks. I've narrowed it down to the LMT Defender, the BCM and the Midwest Industries forged lower.

I've used an LMT lower on another rifle for some time and I like it a lot. However, they have gone way up in price. Currently they are listed at $450, less shiping, tax and paperwork. Grip is very good, stock is so so.

I've never used a BCM lower, but I have a BCM upper and I have been quite happy with it. It's $395, less all the extra charges. Grip is good, stock is OK.

The MI lower is also untried by me, but I've heard much good about them and it does come with a sweet Magpul CTR stock. It's also the lowest price at $375, less all the extra charges. Grip is good, stock is very nice.

Price is not really the issue. I don't want to spend more than I need, but in the cosmic scheme of things $75 on a total expendature of roughly $1000+ is not that much, and while the grip or stock on one may be better than on another, they are both easy and inexpensive to change. What grip or stock it comes with will not be a factor.

Are any one of these lowers better than the other? Either the lower itself or the LPK that is used. I want the one that is made the best, with the best parts, and the highest QC.

308sako
01-17-19, 22:21
Can't go wrong with any of them, but the one that is closest to your final configuration is the one to pick. BCM would be my choice, but that's me not you.

grizzman
01-17-19, 22:32
The LMT Defender and BCM are both highly regarded options, and it's likely that most here would consider them roughly equal in receiver, LPK, and QC aspects. I don't know of anyone using an MI lower assembly....didn't even know they offer them. When I previously shopped for a complete lower assembly I was initially going to get an LMT (I've used them but never owned one), but decided on the BCM for less money. I've not regretted the decision, and ended up assembling an upper with all BCM components to pair with it.

I consider grips and stocks to be totally user replaceable. My least mechanically inclined niece could replace both without direction in a few minutes.

Do you plan to leave the trigger components in the lower that you receive? If not, and you have a definite preference to the stock and grip that aren't an option with BCM or LMT, you should check out the Sionics Gutless Lower Receiver Assembly. The machining/finish/assembly is as well executed as my BCM.

officerX
01-17-19, 22:46
BCM is my lower of choice. I currently have 3.

My iPhone XS Max is better than your android!

Wake27
01-17-19, 23:10
The BCM should come with their PNT trigger which is a solid mil-spec-ish trigger and BCM almost always gets my recommendation. Unfortunately, there are some people who have had issues with their lowers and M3 PMAGs so I will not buy any more until I hear that has been fixed or I can verify function for myself. Major bummer for me because all of my stripped lowers have/will be built with nearly 100% BCM parts. Something to consider if you use the latest generation of PMAG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madAB
01-17-19, 23:10
I have A couple LMTs, and a bunch of BCM. They’re both great, but I prefer BCM. BCM magwell is more beveled which is nice, and I like their finish better. Gen2 Pmags are tight in the LMT lowers I have. All of my BCM lowers have zero issues with Gen3 pmags.

I’d trade my LMTs for BCM, but I would never trade my BCMs for LMT. BCM is my go to.

alx01
01-17-19, 23:14
As much as I like BCM, for a $50 difference in complete lower I would go with LMT. Two reasons for that:
1. LMT will probably hold value better long-term
2. Primary reason - LMT customer service is outstanding, far superior to BCM's in my opinion (and from other people's reviews as well). 10% difference is a minuscule matter long-term.

There were a few reported issue here with BCM lowers and PMags:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?205190-BCM-Lower-not-compatible-with-PMAG-Gen3
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?169913-Problem-with-a-new-BCM-lower

I personally don't think it's a big issue, but it might be for you.

everready73
01-18-19, 08:23
They are all good options, as well as the Sionics mentioned. Another option to look into is SOLGW. They use Zev/MEGA receivers and offer a customizable lower that includes VLTOR A5 buffer system with A5H2 buffer included. You can choose grip and some other upgrades if wanted.

With their upgraded trigger, grip of choice, B5 sopmod stock, and A5 system they are $449 which isn't bad with the included upgrades

Grant also offers a BCM lower with A5 at G&R

noonesshowmonkey
01-18-19, 10:05
When starting from scratch with lowers, I never really understand the expenditure.

Aero lower + good LPK, furniture of your choice, G2S, A5 buffer kit. It'll come out at or below the (inflated) prices of the above listed options, and you'll end up with a better trigger, the stock and grip of your choice, and an A5.

whatthepuck
01-18-19, 10:35
I have 2 blem Sionics lowers I bought last year that I’m a big fan of. I personally wouldn’t pay over $300 for a complete lower, but that’s just me. I’m perfectly happy with my 2 blems and I’ve yet to notice the blems. I recently picked up 2 PSA lowers, 1 for a beater rifle and 1 with an sba3 to see what all the hubbub is about at pistols. I’m somewhat subscribe to the theory that a lower is a lower, but for my serious use pair of ARs I splurged for the Sionics lowers.

I get wanting a BCM lower to mate up with a BCM upper, but I just can’t justify that price tag. Buy what you want though. A BCM lower will certainly serve you well and I’d choose one over the LMT.

26 Inf
01-18-19, 10:37
When starting from scratch with lowers, I never really understand the expenditure.

Aero lower + good LPK, furniture of your choice, G2S, A5 buffer kit. It'll come out at or below the (inflated) prices of the above listed options, and you'll end up with a better trigger, the stock and grip of your choice, and an A5.

I tend to agree with you, sir. I can also see the desire to have a 'known' lower for resale purposes and to keep some folks from turning their noses up at you on the range.

I have the Sionics gutless lower, it is a good deal in my book for a couple reasons: 1) I like the logo-rollmark; 2) nicely finished; 3) works. I'm form 1'ing mine for my next SBR.

OP: The Sionics complete lower with an MOE SL Stock is a little less than the BCM, so I would add that one to your list of possibles.

Unless I like the logo-rollmark - I try to buy plain-jane lowers with no logo-rollmark. I've built several Noreen's without their logo and likewise several Alexandria Pro-Fab's. They were all nice, well finished, functional lowers at a budget price. Of course, if the OP doesn't want to roll his own, stripped lowers are not an option.

26 Inf
01-18-19, 10:49
OP - I'm also interested in getting the Centurion Arms billet lower, it has a feature that I think I'll like - ledges for your trigger finger to rest on when it is off the trigger. A complete one with a B5 Bravo is going to set you back $420.00, though.

https://www.centurionarms.com/product-p/c4-b-lwr.htm

There are better pictures of the lower in this thread, click on the pic to enlarge it:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?211878-***-GROUP-BUY-***-New-Centurion-Arms-Billet-Upper-amp-Lower-Receiver-Set

This will be my next lower purchase, even if the group buy deal falls through.

titsonritz
01-18-19, 13:58
I have the Sionics gutless lower, it is a good deal in my book for a couple reasons: 1) I like the logo-rollmark; 2) nicely finished; 3) works. I'm form 1'ing mine for my next SBR.

OP: The Sionics complete lower with an MOE SL Stock is a little less than the BCM, so I would add that one to your list of possibles.

I now have more SIONICS lowers than all others combined, which includes BCM, Centurion and Colt.

I often recommend their gutless lower for those that want to build but lack the tools and proper know-how.

moonshot
01-18-19, 17:46
Thanks for all the info. I did not realize BCM lowers and gen 3 PMAGs might not be universally compatible. I realize any problem is not across the board, but apparently it’s often enough to be a concern. I was leaning towards BCM, but the LMT is a known quantity. On the other hand, the BCM is in stock and I can test my magazines in it. The LMT would be ordered from out of state. The MI is my 3rd choice.

If I test a lower out for magazine compatability, do I need to test all my pmags in that lower, or just one sample of each generation? Do I need to test it with an upper installed or will just the lower do?

JediGuy
01-18-19, 18:03
LMT is “coolest.”
BCM is a better value at $380.

For a complete lower receiver, customer service shouldn’t matter at all. I bought a stripped ambi LMT lower, and the safety wasn’t machined completely. They are replacing. My BCM came with a cool trigger, and passed the M3 PMAG rest at the FFL.
Buy whatever you want, they’re all good.

everready73
01-18-19, 21:02
Thanks for all the info. I did not realize BCM lowers and gen 3 PMAGs might not be universally compatible. I realize any problem is not across the board, but apparently it’s often enough to be a concern. I was leaning towards BCM, but the LMT is a known quantity. On the other hand, the BCM is in stock and I can test my magazines in it. The LMT would be ordered from out of state. The MI is my 3rd choice.

If I test a lower out for magazine compatability, do I need to test all my pmags in that lower, or just one sample of each generation? Do I need to test it with an upper installed or will just the lower do?

From what I understand it is just the Gen 3 pmags

Wake27
01-18-19, 21:21
From what I understand it is just the Gen 3 pmags

Also my understanding. And it seems that if it doesn't work with one mag, it doesn't work with several at the least. I'd probably bring 3 to test if possible and call it good. Upper shouldn't matter.

officerX
01-18-19, 23:23
I’ve have 0 issues with my 3 BCM lowers and M3 PMAGs.

My iPhone XS Max is better than your android!

ssc
01-19-19, 00:34
I have numerous complete lowers from both LMT and BCM. The LMT's had the standard trigger and stock. The LMT's are $60 to $130 (on sale) less than the BCM. I cannot comment on the MI. Both stocks I toss. In comparison, I like both grips, but prefer the BCM. The BCM comes with their trigger guard, a QD end plate and a H buffer. The LMT has a standard trigger guard, a standard end plate and a carbine buffer. Comparing the standard triggers, the BCM is a better trigger than the standard LMT trigger. At least on my multiple lowers. Strange as this may sound, I have more fitment issues with other stocks on the LMT RE. I have never had any issues with gen3 Pmags on either make, nor gen2 issues. I had a minor issue with a BCM lower and their CS was adequate. I had a major issue with a LMT lower and their CS was a bit less than adequate.

Here is my advice, for what it's worth. If your LGS has BCM lowers in stock, then that is your answer. Reason being that you can go and inspect a couple of lowers to make sure there are no issues. Take various mags with you and test fit them. Check the staking on the RE, the safety selector, trigger, reset, mag release and especially the bolt catch/release. Both are good lowers, however mistakes can be made by either company, so it is a benefit to be able to inspect the lower(s).

Though you haven't explained nor requested info otherwise, I will add that I no longer buy complete lowers. I prefer to build my lowers using specific parts and it is usually cheaper. If you don't have the ability to build lowers, ie, time or tools etc, then either one will serve you well. However, I would absolutely agree with many of the above posters who have recommended the sionics lowers, either complete or the gutless. I consider their items on par with LMT and BCM. Further their CS is outstanding.

Cheers, Steve

DoubleW
01-20-19, 16:50
Get a BCM Blem lower, they’re about $75 cheaper & there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. I’ve looked mine over 100 times and have yet to find why it’s a “blem”.