PDA

View Full Version : Best spring for extractor

La26
01-20-19, 07:44
What is considered the best spring/system for the extractor on the AR system? I have seen Mil Spec springs touted as best, but then I read that they should be used with the insert and/or donut o-ring enhancement system. I ordered a Tubbs buffer flat spring a while back that came with some paperwork that suggested the Tubbs extractor spring that says "doesn't require inserts or other gimmicks".
What do you run as far as extractor springs, etc. This will be in my Duty/SRT M4.

gaijin
01-20-19, 07:48
Don't know about best, but I run BCM springs with donut in all my 5.56 guns.
No complaints, no issues.

La26
01-20-19, 07:53
Thanks. Do you recommend replacing the spring as routine maintenance, or only if you start to encounter malfunctions?

gaijin
01-20-19, 07:58
SD guns I'll change out springs every 3K rds, which is an arbitrary number I'm comfortable with. Frankly I have only done this twice, as I have a number of AR's.
In other words; my SD guns are shot relatively little, range/competition guns see the bulk of abuse.
Range guns I just run 'til there's a problem.

OldState
01-20-19, 08:03
What is considered the best spring/system for the extractor on the AR system? I have seen Mil Spec springs touted as best, but then I read that they should be used with the insert and/or donut o-ring enhancement system. I ordered a Tubbs buffer flat spring a while back that came with some paperwork that suggested the Tubbs extractor spring that says "doesn't require inserts or other gimmicks".
What do you run as far as extractor springs, etc. This will be in my Duty/SRT M4.

Are you experiencing an extractor issue? Is this an SBR? What you have may work.

La26
01-20-19, 08:14
I am currently running the original spring with a donut o-ring. Bushmaster Patrol Rifle 16 inch bbl, m-4 configuration. I shoot it for SRT training, twice a month about 100 to 300 rounds a month, and occasional Tactical Class which might add another 500 to 700 rounds to the round count. No problems yet, but just wanted to see if I should upgrade to make sure the rifle remains 100%.

Wake27
01-20-19, 08:28
Don't know about best, but I run BCM springs with donut in all my 5.56 guns.
No complaints, no issues.

SD guns I'll change out springs every 3K rds, which is an arbitrary number I'm comfortable with. Frankly I have only done this twice, as I have a number of AR's.
In other words; my SD guns are shot relatively little, range/competition guns see the bulk of abuse.
Range guns I just run 'til there's a problem.

Agreed on all accounts.

I am currently running the original spring with a donut o-ring. Bushmaster Patrol Rifle 16 inch bbl, m-4 configuration. I shoot it for SRT training, twice a month about 100 to 300 rounds a month, and occasional Tactical Class which might add another 500 to 700 rounds to the round count. No problems yet, but just wanted to see if I should upgrade to make sure the rifle remains 100%.

This (https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SOPMOD-Bolt-Upgrade-Rebuild-Kit-p/bcm-sopmod-bolt-kit.htm) is all you need.

OldState
01-20-19, 08:40

I’m definitely no expert, but I believed the o rings came about from the military (Crane) trying to address extraction issues in their 10.3” rifles. The problem was increased bolt speed over a standard M4 and not enough time for the case to contract before extraction. Colt doesn’t ship with these but I understand many reputable manufacturers include them....but that may be as extra insurance.

gaijin
01-20-19, 08:55
Since ARs and AR parts currently so low, you might consider a spare BCG or at least a spare c158 bolt in your kit.
I’m partial to BCM and have had zero problems with Toolcraft nitride BCGs/Bolt’s.

HKGuns
01-20-19, 09:29
Since ARs and AR parts currently so low, you might consider a spare BCG or at least a spare c158 bolt in your kit.
I’m partial to BCM and have had zero problems with Toolcraft nitride BCGs/Bolt’s.

This is what I do OP.

BCGs aren’t that expensive and it my not be the spring that goes first.

I have several spare BCG’s in cold storage.

MistWolf
01-20-19, 09:45
The best extractor spring in my experience is the Colt M4 spring with insert. No donut. IG stands behind the Sprinco extractor spring and has stated that's what Sionics uses. I have first hand experience with Colt springs and none with Sprinco springs but I have a lot of respect for IG's experience and knowledge.

I have had first hand experience with- and have had discussions with those who have had first hand experience with- generic brand extractor springs. Most begin failing somewhere between 750 and 1000 rounds. It has happened often enough that, if an extractor spring isn't a Colt or Sprinco M4 spring, I replace them with a Colt spring.

It's also my experience that if an extractor spring needs a donut, the spring needs to be replaced. The O-ring donut became part of the Crane upgrade kit after extraction issues were identified, but before the Army would approve the extractor spring Colt developed to correct the problem. The O-ring was a stop gap measure and can introduce problems of their own. Over time, the O-ring will flatten and lose its effectiveness and eventually deteriorate. When the O-ring deteriorates and starts falling apart, the pieces will start gumming up the works. When an O-ring is used with a properly designed extractor spring, it places too much tension on the extractor. This leads to problems with the extractor snapping over the cartridge rim during feed.

Installing a Colt or Sprinco extractor spring (no O-ring) will ensure extraction is smooth and positive, even under the extra stress of over-gassing or full-auto fire.

WS6
01-27-19, 04:51
SAW green.

FightinQ
01-27-19, 06:07
I agree, use the BCM.

I'd use to say to replace every few thousand rounds, but in this case, I do it now after each carbine course or two gun event:

https://i.imgur.com/yTeSzIl.jpg

And no, I can't explain or know what became of the O ring and insert. And yes, this was perfectly clean before the event.

01-27-19, 07:19
Colt copper with black insert. NO O-ring.

Dr. Bullseye
01-27-19, 11:09
I bought something from Sprinco and they had a package deal offering a 5 coil extractor spring for a couple bucks. I put it in, no donut, it works flawlessly. If it will work for me and I can install it, it should be fine for anyone.

26 Inf
01-27-19, 12:30
If it will work for me and I can install it, it should be fine for anyone.

That is also the metric I use. I hope you aren't as big a klutz as I am, though.

Iraqgunz
01-27-19, 17:16
The Colt copper washed extractor spring is a good option, as is the Sprinco enhanced spring. I have also used (and still have) BCM enhanced springs as well. Any of them will work.

La26
01-27-19, 18:17
Thanks for all the replies. Lots of experience !! I found some Colt copper washed with black insert- I ordered three, and I'm waiting for them to come in. It was the last three he had and when Brownell's notifies me that they are back in stock, I will order some from them too.

MegademiC
01-27-19, 19:51
The milspec with no oring should work. The oring may be needed on an overgassed carbine gas gun.
Id start without and if reliable, rock on.