PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Questions

Jon G23
11-01-06, 09:50
I'm building a carbine and want to go with a 16" bbl most likely. I'm curios about a couple things.

1) Who makes the best, most accurate bbl out there... are their a few places that make high quality bbls? I am leaning towards a Noveske 16" Mid length.

2) Is there any plus or minus if I wanted to go with a 24.5 and permanently atach a Vortex? Would I be better off to just go with a 16"?

My use for the rifle will really be more fun than anything, but with home defense and some long range plinking included. I also want to take come kind of carbine classes some day. I have been shooting since i was 5 or 6 and am now mid 40's, but I have never had an AR. This is my first and I am building it myself. I have had a few AK's, but this is my first AR. It should be fun! I had a great time building the lower. It is way easier than I had ever imagined, thanks to great info here and other places on the net.

Thanks everybody!

Jon G23
11-01-06, 09:53
What flash-hider do you guys like and why? I am leaning towards the vortex, but am open to other thoughts!!

Thanks!

K.L. Davis
11-01-06, 10:11
First thing I generally ask is: will you do most of your shooting from a sandbag or bipod?

Sounds like you will not... so the "most accurate" barrel out there is probably a waste of your money, unless you are all uptight about reducing quarter size groups to dime size groups, it is money that you can spend elsewhere.

I am not a fan of permanently attached FS... the M4 barrel is 14.5 inches long, so that it can mount a bayonet (7" of barrel past the gas port - rifle port is at 13") -- I know that some say it is better for CQB, but if your lifestyle has you in shootouts in confined spaced regularly, then let's get you in a shorter barrel and a suppressor.

Sound to me like what you want is a 16" carbine, I suggest a midlength gas system -- I would stear you perhap towards Steve (ADCO) and get one of the 16" 1:8 SS barrels he offers, or hit up Paul (BCM) and see what he has, use the buck fifty you save to buy ammo and mags!

Jon G23
11-01-06, 10:30
I probably won't be shooting over sandbags all that much. I DO want to have a gun that will shoot 1MOA out to 300-400 yards though.

Thanks for the thoughts. I just may go the route you suggested and try one of the 1:8 16" SS bbls from ADCO. I just need to do more research. I have time, as I am going to Russia for 2 months! I need to shoot some REAL Russian AK's! :-)

Jon

First thing I generally ask is: will you do most of your shooting from a sandbag or bipod?

Sounds like you will not... so the "most accurate" barrel out there is probably a waste of your money, unless you are all uptight about reducing quarter size groups to dime size groups, it is money that you can spend elsewhere.

I am not a fan of permanently attached FS... the M4 barrel is 14.5 inches long, so that it can mount a bayonet (7" of barrel past the gas port - rifle port is at 13") -- I know that some say it is better for CQB, but if your lifestyle has you in shootouts in confined spaced regularly, then let's get you in a shorter barrel and a suppressor.

Sound to me like what you want is a 16" carbine, I suggest a midlength gas system -- I would stear you perhap towards Steve (ADCO) and get one of the 16" 1:8 SS barrels he offers, or hit up Paul (BCM) and see what he has, use the buck fifty you save to buy ammo and mags!

K.L. Davis
11-01-06, 17:18
I probably won't be shooting over sandbags all that much. I DO want to have a gun that will shoot 1MOA out to 300-400 yards though.

Thanks for the thoughts. I just may go the route you suggested and try one of the 1:8 16" SS bbls from ADCO. I just need to do more research. I have time, as I am going to Russia for 2 months! I need to shoot some REAL Russian AK's! :-)

Jon

The SS barrels that ADCO sells are MOA shooters no problem... a few years back, we were sending guys over to various parts of the former Soviet Union to give training -- depending on where you go, some parts are just unbelievable! Have fun.

Jon G23
11-01-06, 20:57
The SS barrels that ADCO sells are MOA shooters no problem... a few years back, we were sending guys over to various parts of the former Soviet Union to give training -- depending on where you go, some parts are just unbelievable! Have fun.

Yeah, I lived there for 18 months. I was on the Black Sea, Sochi. It's a really awesome place. Headed back there for a couple months. I will be shooting the REAL AK's while there. It's gonna be F U N!

C4IGrant
11-02-06, 09:16
Any SS barrel should shoot at least 1" at the WORST. Most of my Noveske barrels (CM and SS) shoot .5" groups.

I am with KL in that I don't like Perm. attached FS's and the Vortex is king in my book.

C4

Jon G23
11-02-06, 14:18
Thanks!! Sounds like a decent SS bbl should be fine for my uses.

Jon

Any SS barrel should shoot at least 1" at the WORST. Most of my Noveske barrels (CM and SS) shoot .5" groups.

I am with KL in that I don't like Perm. attached FS's and the Vortex is king in my book.

C4