PDA

View Full Version : Digging the jazzed-up new Steyr MF pistol

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-22-19, 19:11
https://www.steyr-arms.com/us/firearms/a2-mf-pistol.html?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=A2%20MF%20Pistol%20Launch

I always liked the Steyr pistols, but the early ones had some teething troubles back when Steyr was in financial trouble. I look forward to shooting this one.

Sikiguya
01-23-19, 14:27
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190123/d9e70449ddcdee8974e1d9d15e5893cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arik
01-23-19, 16:46
I liked the gen2 or whatever has been out lately. In fact I handled their version of the G19X a year or two before Glock had theirs. I just can't justify yet another G19/17 size gun!

yugo308guy
01-23-19, 16:58
Interesting. Same but different. Looks like they addressed one of the most common complaints, with new texturing on the frame. A lot of reviewers feel ithe original was a little slippery. I do however wish they would come out with Trap Night Sights.

Biggy
01-23-19, 17:32
In a very crowded field, it will need something that really sets itself apart from the pack, or it will just be another good gun that languishes in obscurity.

gaijin
01-23-19, 17:45
looks as though the line of bore is about as high as it can get.
I would imagine it's very controllable, shoots flat.

AKDoug
01-24-19, 20:00
I see they've addressed something that kills me on Glocks (even though I carry one every day)... the trigger finger entry onto the trigger. Even a VP9 has my trigger finger rubbing excessively on the frame. The angle and clearance of this Steyr sure looks good.

Rayrevolver
01-25-19, 09:48
I like the platform, having bought a cheap M9A1 being blown out by CDNN back in 2008. Looking back at my logs, 6 malfunctions in 3205 rounds. I would have no worries carrying it although it would not be my first choice, a G26.

When I used to shoot it at IDPA and USPSA, people would always ask about it. At the time there was not a lot of "low bore axis" pistols. It was always a surprise to people how flat it shot and how fast it seemed to cycle. The trap sights are the trap sights, you can get used them quickly. My trigger, with the $12 BT (Big Taco) Steyr Bushing is light and smooth.

I was tempted with the L9A1, but its G17 sized and I wanted a G34 sized game gun. That said... shiny new Steyr L9A2 MF... its tempting. We'll see.

GNXII
01-26-19, 20:49
Anyone here know if Steyr is dropping any of there non-modular pistols platforms?

Sikiguya
01-26-19, 21:39
Can’t see why they should our would. It appears that the slide assembly is identical. Mags are the same. The only difference is the frame. No reason to unless it is a production cost issue.

H&K still sell the USP and USP compact line despite the P30 and VP9 evolution of the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam
01-27-19, 19:48
Greg,
You need to buy the Beretta LTT Elite and shoot a couple thousand rounds then sell it to me for $500.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-27-19, 22:19
Gotta break my 92G SD first.

Sam
01-28-19, 05:36
It's broke, now move on.

BrigandTwoFour
01-28-19, 06:33
In a very crowded field, it will need something that really sets itself apart from the pack, or it will just be another good gun that languishes in obscurity.

Agree. The polymer striker market just seems packed. Glock, Sig 320, FN 509, M&P, PPQ, VP9, APX, and now this.

It's not trendy, but I'd actually like to see someone drive some action in the polymer carry-sized DA/SA market.

1986s4
01-28-19, 08:35
I had one each of the Steyr M40 and M9 pistols. I loved them when they worked which, unfortunately, wasn't often. FTE's were common and I sent both back to Steyr several times with no joy. The .40 was very flat shooting for a lightweight .40. Could have been great but for me not so much. No thanks to Steyr pistols.

halfmoonclip
01-29-19, 15:16
Went on a Steyr jag some years ago, and had a G17/19 size. IIRC, they weren't stone reliable, and the grip angle took some getting used to. The low bore axis was a real piece of engineering.
Did Steyr ever make a 15round mag for the 19 sized pistol? They only made 10 rounders then.
I finally traded them away, and they were like giving away a social disease. A shop wouldn't take one at all, and the one that took another had it languishing on the shelf for a year. The owner still goons me for taking it on trade.
I'm not apt to go down the Steyr road again, tho an AUG would be fun.
Moon

Labayu
11-27-19, 08:00
I had a Steyr M9, loved the grip angle, pointability, ran 4,000rds through it before it started tossing brass right at my face, couldn't get parts to fix it or a decent supply of magazines so I broomed it for $200 as part of a trade.

I'm tempted by this, I really am but until I see someone clean up that trigger safely, make some decent holsters(Safariland ALS) and see plenty of 17rd mags for under $30ea I'm gonna hang back and stick with Wilhelm Bubits first pistol design(Glock 17).

I wonder what sort of incentive I'd have to provide to get Johnny Glocks to look at a Steyr trigger for me? Oh well, not gonna matter until I see mags and leather commonly available.

1986s4
11-27-19, 08:08
I had a Steyr M9, loved the grip angle, pointability, ran 4,000rds through it before it started tossing brass right at my face, couldn't get parts to fix it or a decent supply of magazines so I broomed it for $200 as part of a trade.

I'm tempted by this, I really am but until I see someone clean up that trigger safely, make some decent holsters(Safariland ALS) and see plenty of 17rd mags for under $30ea I'm gonna hang back and stick with Wilhelm Bubits first pistol design(Glock 17).

I wonder what sort of incentive I'd have to provide to get Johnny Glocks to look at a Steyr trigger for me? Oh well, not gonna matter until I see mags and leather commonly available.

At least yours was actually tossing brass, mine couldn't be bothered to eject....

teksid
11-27-19, 10:37
I really liked the low bore axis and the trapazoidal sights on the M9 I had. I didn’t like the two times I sent it in and they still didn’t fix it. It shot great for 2,000 rounds then it started failing to eject. I sent it back. When it returned the trigger wouldn’t reset sometimes.

mikeyd501
11-27-19, 13:14
That front sight looks like an accident waiting to happen. I'll pass.

halfmoonclip
11-27-19, 16:34
As a Glock alternative, I really wanted to like mine. But the lack of utter reliability, and the unwillingness to make real full capacity magazines just flat pissed me off.
Mine were gunshow impulse purchases, and I can't feel any remorse for their departure.
Moon

Arik
11-27-19, 21:00
As a Glock alternative, I really wanted to like mine. But the lack of utter reliability, and the unwillingness to make real full capacity magazines just flat pissed me off.
Mine were gunshow impulse purchases, and I can't feel any remorse for their departure.
MoonWhat is "full capacity"?

halfmoonclip
11-27-19, 22:51
What is "full capacity"?

The antis are in the habit of calling mags larger than 10 rounds 'high capacity'.
I stay in the habit of calling them 'full capacity' or 'standard capacity'.
Hate to give in to their BS battle of nomenclature.
Best,
Moon

Arik
11-28-19, 07:08
So steyr doesn't make standard capacity mags?

halfmoonclip
11-28-19, 09:09
Arik, when I had my G19-sized Steyr, its magazine looked like it should have held at least 12 rounds, if not more. However, the bottom of the magazine was solid plastic. I searched for standard capacity mags to no avail, and finally dumped the gun.
Not sure what Steyr's policy may be now; my experience was at least 5 years ago.
Moon

Arik
11-28-19, 09:24
Maybe ban state gun?

I'm looking around and see 15-17 round 9mm mags depending on the model

halfmoonclip
11-28-19, 15:15
Arik, wish I could remember the model number, but it was a somewhat smaller 9mm. I also had a full size service version, and standard capacity mags were entirely available.
I went looking online before I parted with it, and 10 was it for that model.
Moon

EzGoingKev
12-01-19, 17:55
It reminds me of that Russian prototype gun that has been floating around the past couple of years.

sundance435
12-09-19, 11:14
I really like the look of this gun and I want to like Steyr handguns. I've just read too many reports of totally unreliable Steyr handguns, or what I consider reliable enough for defense from what is already probably a small number in the wild, for me to buy one.

Gfouts15
12-14-19, 19:44
I want to like it too and mostly do. I have the M9A1 and love the look, trigger, and it is nice....EXCEPT it is unreliable. It is the only pistol I have that mostly works but wouldn't trust it. For now it is a toy and I take it out to the range every so often. There are just too many other guns that are better to try another one.

halfmoonclip
12-14-19, 20:16
Have the MSAR version of the AUG, and it has been dead flat reliable, no apologies required. Thus my interest in Steyr pistols. Oddly, later, when I went to trade them, one shop wouldn't accept them at all, and another groused that my former gun had sat in the showcase for nearly a year, unsold.
My smaller, departed, gun was likely an S9, which is listed as having a 10 round capacity. I don't live in a ban state, and was unable to find mags bigger than 10.
The uber-low bore axis is what appealed to me, and the gun had little muzzle flip. The sights were fast, but perhaps less precise than conventional sights.
Moon

dwhitehorne
12-15-19, 06:05
I guess there are so many of those CDNN parts guns floating around that many people have a bad experience. I recently traded for a OD green M9-A1. It runs great. I was a bit leery of the factory 17 round mags since they are just 15 rounders with +2 base plates but the mags seem fine so far. I’ve only got about 600 rounds through the gun though. My old eyes are loving the giant front sight. It make shooting with both eyes open much easier. My only complaint is the grip is still slippery so I put some traction grips on to solve that.

The new pistol seems to solve my only complaint about the Steyr. I’m surprised more manufacturers haven’t started to copy the HK with the side panel inserts like the new Steyr does. David

Magsz
12-20-19, 13:38
Guns are out of stock until some time in early 2020 as per Steyr.

Bret
12-20-19, 18:44
My first Steyr pistol was an M40. As others have said, it was very unreliable. Sent it back to Steyr twice to no avail. Then I decided to try to fix it myself. I don’t remember what it was, but I found a small part that was installed upside down. That helped some, but there were still issues. After the AWB expired, I bought a 12rd mag. I immediately found that the gun was 100% reliable when using it. I disassembled the 12rd and 10rd mags and found they had the exact same length spring even though the 10rd mag spring was working over a much shorter distance. I got rid of the 10rd mags and the pistol has been 100% since.

I’ve since purchased a M9-A1 with factory threaded barrel and an M357-A1. Both have been 100%.

Steyr got rid of the thing I didn’t like about my M40 which was the safety inside the trigger guard. The thing that I don’t like about the A1’s are how huge the rail makes the muzzle end of the gun. This new version doesn’t look any better in that regard. I do hope the kept the trapezoidal sights.

halfmoonclip
12-30-19, 13:59
I've moved back to Glocks, and on to SIGs, so no dog in this fight. They are jumping into lots of competition, so we shall see.
Moon