PDA

View Full Version : Is This Hammer Going to Fail? Update Pg 3

Nightvisionary
01-22-19, 20:20
This is a hammer from an unfired rifle. It has an obvious manufacturing defect but is it cosmetic only or a weakness that will eventually develop into a crack? It is pretty shallow compared to the overall thickness of the hammer.

http://i67.tinypic.com/98yfqf.jpg

Edit: Well apparantly Tinypic is no longer supported on this site so here is the link.

http://i67.tinypic.com/98yfqf.jpg

Campbell
01-22-19, 21:00
I say you will fail before that hammer does....😀 let us know.

omegajb
01-22-19, 21:03
Did you buy the lower complete rifle from a gun shop or is this a build?

Just because it's not deep doesn't mean it's just cosmetic, it could be a bigger problem that's inside the metal.

I'd look into returning it or getting it replaced under warranty.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Nightvisionary
01-22-19, 22:57
Did you buy the lower complete rifle from a gun shop or is this a build?

Just because it's not deep doesn't mean it's just cosmetic, it could be a bigger problem that's inside the metal.

I'd look into returning it or getting it replaced under warranty.

It was from a LPK that I assembled.

omegajb
01-23-19, 04:54
I would contact the manufacturer, it's clear it should have been caught in inspection.

I use to cast metal in one of my past jobs and there could be issues internally that can't seen with the naked eye.

Campbell
01-23-19, 05:30
I would contact the manufacturer, it's clear it should have been caught in inspection.

I use to cast metal in one of my past jobs and there could be issues internally that can't seen with the naked eye.

Disregard my humor...I agree with above. You should not have a problem getting that replaced, and I wouldn’t want it on a service/hd rifle. If it’s a range gun I say shoot it till it fails and keep the spare in your kit.

omegajb
01-23-19, 05:37
Disregard my humor...I agree with above. You should not have a problem getting that replaced, and I wouldn’t want it on a service/hd rifle. If it’s a range gun I say shoot it till it fails and keep the spare in your kit.My worry about shooting is if the hammer shatters while the BCG is cycling the pieces go up into the upper receiver. I'm not sure if it could damage the upper or not in that case.

26 Inf
01-23-19, 11:59
My worry about shooting is if the hammer shatters while the BCG is cycling the pieces go up into the upper receiver. I'm not sure if it could damage the upper or not in that case.

When you think about it that is doubtful. At the point the bolt is unlocked and the BCG begins to cycle the forces are contained by the buffer spring. Likewise, as the BCG moves forward it is powered by the buffer spring. Looking at it in that context, it doesn't seem as though there is enough power to fling parts about with enough force to damage things.

All that aside, I'd replace it. If it breaks you are going to ruin a range trip. I generally like to do such parts replacement in the comfort of my shop rather than in the wild. Heated in the winter, and shady with fans blowing in the summer.

RustyIron
01-23-19, 14:39
That's shrinkage from when the hammer was cast. No biggie.

Don Quijote
01-23-19, 14:58
That's shrinkage from when the hammer was cast. No biggie.

That's a cold lap and indicates serious porosity underneath. That hammer is trash.

ssc
01-23-19, 15:22
I would agree with the "change it" camp. What LPK did you purchase?

Cheers, Steve

pag23
01-23-19, 15:24
I wonder if this is from a Carbon 15..I can joke about it because I had one.....

ViniVidivici
01-23-19, 21:02
I would be interested as well to know what brand of LPK this was.

Nightvisionary
01-23-19, 22:26
I would agree with the "change it" camp. What LPK did you purchase?

Cheers, Steve

It was part of a PSA rifle kit.

officerX
01-23-19, 22:46
It was part of a PSA rifle kit.

Big shocker there! PSA IS CRAP!

My iPhone XS Max is better than your android!

MegademiC
01-24-19, 08:04
Change it, then cross section it to see hiw deep the defect is.

hk_shootr
01-24-19, 10:40
Trash it and buy a quality fcg

ViniVidivici
01-24-19, 13:04
Me, I'd contact PSA and see if they'd send me a replacement.

So far my tiny sample includes one complete 16" midlength upper, one compleye LPK, one BCG and no problems with any of it.

Hammer_Man
01-24-19, 13:55
My first bit of advice would be to contact PSA regarding this hammer, and then let us know what they do to correct it.

My second bit of advice would be to replace your FCG with an ALG QMS or ALG ACT (if you're on a budget).

steelcore
01-24-19, 13:58
I would replace that part

Nightvisionary
01-30-19, 14:20
Update: Upon test firing I found the magazine catch was too shallow and would not lock Lancer or Troy magazines in place. It did work with Magpul and USGI. The bolt catch became stuck in the channel and would not hold the bolt back on the last round. It appeared either the channel was too narrow on the Bushmaster overrun lower or the bolt catch was oversized. After some fitting I got the bolt catch to work. PSA is shipping me a new hammer and mag catch. I have assembled many PSA kits and this is the first time I have encountered any problems so I will just chalk this up to a lemon that made it through the cracks.