PDA

View Full Version : LMT and the Estonian contract

Slater
01-22-19, 20:39
Wonder what kind of surface they dropped the weapon onto to break the stock?

"According to daily Postimees, a non-commissioned officer (NCO) of the Estonian Defence Forces (EDF) who was part of a nine-member team of Estonians to participate in verification testing at the Illinois factory of the Lewis Machine & Tool Company (LMT) last August wrote in a letter to the Commander of the EDF afterward that some issues that came up during testing were not recorded in the protocol. For example, among other issues, it was not noted that the firearm's stock and optical sight broke when dropped from a height of 1.5m.

Last Thursday, the Review Committee sided with the state regarding all but two claims — the committee found that, based on its own rules, the Estonian Centre for Defence Investments (ECDI) should have taken into consideration the breaking of the firearm's stock and red dot sight during drop tests, and that it was erroneous to interpret the stock as not part of the body of the weapon."

According to Postimees, the LMT offer was the cheapest from three manufacturers at €22.7 million, with Sig Sauer Inc.'s at €27.6 million and Heckler & Koch coming in at €45.5 million.

The offer of LMT achieved 99.3 points in the appraisal and was the most favorable in terms of price, life cycle support and guaranteed number of shots. A test shooting of the weapons organized by the EDF demonstrated that the accuracy and precision of all the weapons met the requirements set out in the terms of the tender, and there were no significant differences between them.

https://news.err.ee/902343/new-automatic-firearms-may-not-reach-edf-by-2021

opngrnd
01-22-19, 21:26
While it maybe should have been noted, I "assume" that if the LMT stock can break, the other rifles can have the same issue.

SethB
01-22-19, 23:39
Also would be useful to know just how broken it was...

dwhitehorne
01-23-19, 04:58
This is the problem with all drop test seen all the time on youtube. Three similar stocks dropped and one breaks. The slightest different angle of impact could cause one to break and the other not. I would bet that all three rifle companies do not make their own furniture and outsource it from a different manufacturing companies. David

Moose-Knuckle
01-23-19, 06:27
It's a little dated as there are quit a few newer stocks on the market since it was published but Military Times / Gear Sector did a Buttstock Bash Fest (torture test) that included LMT and B5 SOMPODs with the results.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/gearscout/2012/02/01/buttstock-bashfest-gearscout-finds-out-just-how-far-tough-talk-goes/

Iraqgunz
01-23-19, 06:42
I am probably completely out of my mind here. I'll bet LMT does not make that particular stock. I have seen numerous M4 MILSPEC type stocks like that break, to include ones on issued Colt carbines.