PDA

View Full Version : Reaction rod fitment

AFshirt
01-24-19, 06:48
Just looking for advice before I mess something up. I have a stuck muzzle device. The upper is an ASA side charger. I bought the Midwest industry’s reaction rod in hopes I could get it held tight enough to loosen the muzzle without damaging the upper. Thing is the reaction rod is according to my calibers exactly 1 inch in diameter and the ASA upper is .98 inches. It’s not going in without beating on it and I don’t want to gouge the aluminum. Short of breaking out the sandpaper and trying to polish away the difference just curious if there were any other suggestions to get the muzzle device off without breaking anything

Inkslinger
01-24-19, 07:20
I may be wrong, but I think reaction rod type tools are not recommended for muzzle device removal or installation. I think it transfers and amplifies torque to the barrel extension. You would probably be better off notching a couple pieces of wood and clamping the barrel in a vise.

AFshirt
01-24-19, 07:34
This one has additional metal that goes into the charging handle groove to stop torque from being applied to the index pin. It’s specifically marketed to not damage the upper or pin during muzzle device on or off.

Inkslinger
01-24-19, 08:28
This one has additional metal that goes into the charging handle groove to stop torque from being applied to the index pin. It’s specifically marketed to not damage the upper or pin during muzzle device on or off.

Roger. I would still go the block of wood and vise route before I put the effort into trying to hand fit the rod to your upper. On top of that, reducing it’s size may make it less effective on other uppers.

MistWolf
01-24-19, 08:43
Make you life a thousand times easier and use a barrel vise and clamp the barrel in the vise as close to the muzzle device as practical.

AFshirt
01-24-19, 08:48
Yeah I’m thinking so. Barrel jaws it is.

lysander
01-24-19, 18:32
A bolt carrier is supposed to be .9945" in diameter.....

mpom
01-24-19, 19:34
What length is the barrel? Are you sure muzzle device is not pinned to barrel?
I ask because MD torque is usually under 30 ft-lbs. If not pinned, suggest soaking the threads in Kroil overnight before applying much force.
Since a barrel extension is supposedly torqued to around 200 ft-lbs, a well fitting one should not cause any issues if used for securing or loosening a MD.
Just my dos centavos, not an armorer, just a hobbyist shooter.

Mark

thopkins22
01-24-19, 20:34
Chances are pretty high that it was placed with Rockset. If that is the case, the solution is to leave it submerged in plain water overnight. Just stick it in a bucket and lean it up against a wall. Obviously patch and clean the barrel afterwards.

ScottsBad
01-24-19, 20:54
1. Using a barrel vise is the most likely way to scar up your rifle.
2. Using a reaction rod (reaction rod is a Geissele name) type device is the best way to put on or remove a muzzle device.
3. Send the MI reaction rod back to MI.

MistWolf
01-24-19, 22:55
Paid the vise with leather and use rosin. If the muzzle device is stuck, trying to remove it will twist the barrel. The twisting won't hurt the barrel, but will make breaking loose the muzzle device more difficult.

Using the vise blocks near the muzzle eliminates most of the twisting. It makes the barrel stiffer and removing muzzle devices much easier.

ScottsBad
01-25-19, 03:37
Paid the vise with leather and use rosin. If the muzzle device is stuck, trying to remove it will twist the barrel. The twisting won't hurt the barrel, but will make breaking loose the muzzle device more difficult.

Using the vise blocks near the muzzle eliminates most of the twisting. It makes the barrel stiffer and removing muzzle devices much easier.

Excuse me, but "I don't agree". The slight twist in the barrel doesn't have anything to do with how easy it will be to remove the muzzle device.

I edited your post to reflect a civil response-tone it down.
Mark5pt56

FightinQ
01-25-19, 06:47

Using the vise blocks near the muzzle eliminates most of the twisting. It makes the barrel stiffer and removing muzzle devices much easier.Um, what?

GH41
01-25-19, 07:10
Excuse me, but "I don't agree". The slight twist in the barrel doesn't have anything to do with how easy it will be to remove the muzzle device.

I edited your post to reflect a civil response-tone it down.
Mark5pt56

If you understood what he attempted to say you would retract your statement. He is correct but his description is difficult to follow.

556Cliff
01-25-19, 13:35
Something is wrong with either your MI URR or your upper receiver.

The MI URR should slide right in without any resistance.

GH41
01-25-19, 15:09
Just looking for advice before I mess something up. I have a stuck muzzle device. The upper is an ASA side charger. I bought the Midwest industry’s reaction rod in hopes I could get it held tight enough to loosen the muzzle without damaging the upper. Thing is the reaction rod is according to my calibers exactly 1 inch in diameter and the ASA upper is .98 inches. It’s not going in without beating on it and I don’t want to gouge the aluminum. Short of breaking out the sandpaper and trying to polish away the difference just curious if there were any other suggestions to get the muzzle device off without breaking anything

I know nothing about ASA but the bore diameter of a mil spec AR15 upper is supposed to be 1.000 inch. My reaction rod is .995 inch. If your measuring method and instrument are accurate you have 2 problems.

arptsprt
01-26-19, 09:54
That’s one of the main advantages and benefits....

https://geissele.com/ar15-m4-reaction-rod.html

I may be wrong, but I think reaction rod type tools are not recommended for muzzle device removal or installation. I think it transfers and amplifies torque to the barrel extension. You would probably be better off notching a couple pieces of wood and clamping the barrel in a vise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
01-26-19, 15:18
ASA= American Spirit Arms is dubious quality at best. I have used the Reaction since it's release and have removed and installed several hundred muzzle devices if not more.

I would pay very close attention to the muzzle device and make sure it's not pinned and welded. I have at least 2 barrels here that the pin and weld couldn't be seen and when someone tried to remove the muzzle devices, the results were disastrous.

On another note, pictures are always a welcome addition.