PDA

View Full Version : What are the lightest AR15 magazines?

Carbine4
01-24-19, 10:29
I am putting together two lightweight AR15 builds and was wondering if anyone had any data on which magazines are the lightest.
Shaving off an ounce or two on the magazine is worthwhile for this build because ounces shaved off every part quickly turns into pounds saved.

I'm specifically interested in two separate criteria:
1. The absolute lightest 30 round magazine available.
2. The most reliable and durable 30 round magazine that ALSO is the lightest of the options, assuming two brands of magazines are of equal reliability and durability but one just happens to be lighter than the other.
(#1 and #2 would ideally be the same magazine, but I know that's not always the case).

#2 is for my "What Would Stone Do" project AR15 where they tried make things lightweight without sacrificing reliability, acceptable durability, or acceptable levels of performance. But they weren't as absolutely lightweight as you could possibly go. This is meant to be the rifle you can depend on while still being lightweight and handy.

#1 is a second AR build project for fun to see how light I can make an AR15, not meant to be something that you'd try to depend on like #2. But the potential for extreme weight savings is there, because there are a lot of parts that are much lighter than the things used in the WWSD project. So I'm willing to get parts that are inferior in durability/reliability just because they are the lightest possible to see how much weight savings I can get.
The only thing I probably don't want to start doing for the ultra lightweight AR project is start skeletonizing stuff like the magazine or receiver that would let all kinds of dirt into the system. I'm not trying to make it a completely impractical and nonfunctional firearm, I'm just willing to sacrifice more to gain more weight savings.

turnburglar
01-24-19, 10:43
It's weird that you are willing to use "substandard" equipment to get a weight savings, but dont want to skeletonize anything?

If you watch demolition ranch on youtube, Matt has a skeletonized F1 Ar15 that runs fine.

Otherwise just get outt he kitchen scale and see if the Al or polymer mags are lighter? If you stay away from stainless steel mags you shouldnt be wrong.

Hammer_Man
01-24-19, 11:12
I've only used three brands of magazine: 1.) OK Surefeeds 2.) Magpul Gen2/Gen3 3.) Lancer.

Of the three the Magpuls are the heaviest, and as a far as I can tell with my calibrated hands, it's a tie between the Lancers and Surefeeds. All three mag types have been 100% reliable.

Carbine4
01-24-19, 11:16
Otherwise just get outt he kitchen scale and see if the Al or polymer mags are lighter? If you stay away from stainless steel mags you shouldnt be wrong.

You're not being helpful if your only answer is to tell someone to go buy every magazine that exists and weigh them.

The point of asking people is to benefit from the data and experience that others may already have regarding this issue.

Manufacturers generally don't list the weights of their polymer magazines for easy analysis on which is the lightest.

FightinQ
01-24-19, 11:26
I just did a Google using lightweight AR15 magazines and a another site came up but I won't name it as I don't know if it's kosher or not for over here, and what I saw was negligible at best between the USGI style that is aluminum. The lightest magazine happened to be the actual weakest of them all and I wouldn't trust it after reading about it's failures.

Maybe buying a few 20 round old school USGI should do the trick? It's what I have done on some of my go to rifles to make them even handier.

turnburglar
01-24-19, 11:33
Honestly,

I just dont see your objective as being properly defined. Do you not already own a ton of magazines? Most member's of this forum will tout that they do. Personally I own over 30, and from atleast 3 different manufactures. If I really wanted the "lightest" magazine possible I would go about it in one of two ways:

"Law of diminishing returns"- Just weigh the ones I have and pick that.

"Semi custom"- Grab the dremel and remove mass as neccesary

"Blow their minds"- Fire up CAD, and open the generative design tab and set the limits and parameter's for a 30rnd magazine. Could easily be milled from a block of Al.

I gotta be real with you though, "Oz's = pounds" shouldnt be applied to every part of the weapons system. Have you already found the lightest barrel possible? Handguard? Optics? Gas block? Muzzle device? BCG? Buffer? Pistol grip? Stock? All of those componets would shave more weight than a magazine ever could. Are you loading up with 40gr bullets on a light charge?

Tell you what, Figure out the weight Delta of the different magazines that you are willing to use and then divide by the total weight of the rifle. That will show you how insignificant magazine choice really is.

Arik
01-24-19, 11:45
What length gas system? Length = inches and inches = weight = oz = lbs!!!!

Drill holes in mags the wrap in one layer of cellophane to prevent dust/dirt! Or little pieces of Scotch tape!

How about pistol grip screws? Surely they add weight and some are probably lighter (cheaper) then others.

Take off handguards and stock for lighter weight!

Renegade04
01-24-19, 11:50
There is a negligible difference in weight between most 30-round polymer magazines and 30-round aluminum USGI magazines. Your best bet, in regard to saving weight, is to use as many lightweight components as possible. Of course, that can cost money, especially when you start buying Titanium parts. What is the configuration you are looking to do? Barrel length, profile, and gas system? Free-float handguards? Also, what is your definition of lightweight? 5 lbs.? 6 lbs.? What weight are you expecting with a fully loaded 30-round magazine? Most importantly, what are you willing to spend in order to attain your expectations?

mack7.62
01-24-19, 11:59
Heck make sure you load those mags up with 40 grain bullets to save even more.:p

FightinQ
01-24-19, 12:15
Heck make sure you load those mags up with 40 grain bullets to save even more.:pActually, if you can actually still find it, Federal 50 tipped varmint is not a bad idea.

Carbine4
01-24-19, 12:32
There is a negligible difference in weight between most 30-round polymer magazines and 30-round aluminum USGI magazines.

I'm looking for actual data on weight differences.
I'll decide if it's negligible or not for my goals.
Just saying it doesn't matter, without providing data, isn't helpful.

"Oz's = pounds" shouldnt be applied to every part of the weapons system.

I didn't ask for your opinion of my overall goal.
I asked for help finding data on magazine weight differences and reliability.
You comments aren't helpful.

Hammer_Man
01-24-19, 12:38
I'm looking for actual data on weight differences.
I'll decide if it's actually negligible or not for my goals.

I didn't ask for your opinion on my overall goal.
I asked for help finding data on magazine weight differences and reliability.
You're not being helpful.

Whoa guy, let's not start getting offended at people right the bat. In regards to your query, I don't think too many people have taken magazine weight all that seriously, so there probably won't be a lot of data available on the subject. This may be your opportunity to contribute to the community as a whole, and do your own research, and then contribute your findings. In the end you/all of us will gain some insight, and empirical data on the subject.

Carbine4
01-24-19, 12:52
Don't start getting offended just because someone had to be corrected to keep the thread on topic and get some real answers.

Sometimes people on gun forums are really bad at answering simple questions, giving answers to questions that were never asked instead - then not even realizing their comments don't actually help the person they were responding to.

hotrodder636
01-24-19, 12:57
Tagged to follow

Carbine4
01-24-19, 13:00
In regards to your query, I don't think too many people have taken magazine weight all that seriously, so there probably won't be a lot of data available on the subject. This may be your opportunity to contribute to the community as a whole, and do your own research, and then contribute your findings. In the end you/all of us will gain some insight, and empirical data on the subject.

That's why I needed to ask, because I don't think enough people have asked this question to make the data available.

Me personally going out and buying one copy of every magazine to weigh isn't going to be an monetary option.

However, if the community were interested in discovering the answer to this, they could pool together the weights of their various magazines into a central thread and we'd have the empirical data pretty quickly.

FightinQ
01-24-19, 13:01
Don't start getting offended just because someone had to be corrected to keep the thread on topic and get some real answers.

Sometimes people on gun forums are really bad at answering simple questions, giving answers to questions that were never asked instead - then not even realizing their comments don't actually help the person they were responding to.No dog here, but honestly I saw no wrongdoing at all. They were being honest, some a tad bit enthusiastic with the sarcasm but it's all tough love and meant no harm at you.

Another site if googling is your thing with the right words, has numerous threads on this topic in making the ultimate quest for the lightest rifle. Lots of knowledge in there with numbers.

Lincoln7
01-24-19, 13:43
Go with a quality brand aluminum USGI mag and you will (should) be satisfied. Okay, D&H(Brownells, BCM, PSA branded etc), Center, Colt, DSG, Labelle, NHMTG, etc

officerX
01-24-19, 13:58
Why do the newbs always get offended and start spouting "don't tell me what to do!" when you question their motives or throw out different ideas? Geez.

officerX
01-24-19, 14:03
Not my pic, not my measurements, but a simple Google search returned the following results:

https://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa393/officerfrasher/Capture_zpsyh8dnqwy.png

Iraqgunz
01-24-19, 14:45
I am predicting a train wreck.

Carbine4
01-24-19, 14:54
Why do the newbs always get offended and start spouting "don't tell me what to do!" when you question their motives or throw out different ideas? Geez.

The better question is why, out of either your own insecurity or over-inflated sense of self-importance, do you feel the need to constantly tell people your opinion of what they are doing when it was never asked for? Especially when you don't even have the decency to answer the question they originally proposed while shoveling your opinion at them like a pile of unwanted manure.
If you keep getting the same response from people it probably means you're doing something wrong.

RHINOWSO
01-24-19, 14:55
The better question is why, out of your either your own insecurity or over-inflated sense of arrogant self-importance, do you feel the need to constantly shove your opinion in the face of people who didn't ask for it? Especially when you don't even have the decency to answer the question they originally proposed while shoveling your opinion at them like a pile of unwanted manure.
If you keep getting the same response from people it probably means you're doing something wrong.

I think you'd be better off in the children's forum. Either that or you are a returning troll.

hotrodder636
01-24-19, 15:31
I suspect you couldn’t (easily) find anything on the subject because it is irrelevant to most users here.

My opinion....if you are willing to spend the coin on the lightest parts possible, spending less than $30 should be that big of a deal. Those ultralight parts are far from cheap.

That's why I needed to ask, because I don't think enough people have asked this question to make the data available.

Me personally going out and buying one copy of every magazine to weigh isn't going to be an monetary option.

However, if the community were interested in discovering the answer to this, they could pool together the weights of their various magazines into a central thread and we'd have the empirical data pretty quickly.

Canonshooter
01-24-19, 15:45

I thought unloaded ones were the lightest. :confused:

MountainRaven
01-24-19, 15:53
It's weird that you are willing to use "substandard" equipment to get a weight savings, but dont want to skeletonize anything?

If you watch demolition ranch on youtube, Matt has a skeletonized F1 Ar15 that runs fine.

Clint Smith also runs a skeletonized AR.

But, yeah, aluminum USGI magazines are going to be lighter than, say, Magpul PMags. If you (OP) are really serious about saving weight, skip the 30-round magazines, get 20-round aluminum USGI magazines, load them to 18 rounds.

However, as mentioned, the magazine is going to be the cheapest component of a light as lightweight can get build and the least impactful.

Doc Safari
01-24-19, 16:11
I find the USGI twenty-rounders to be the solution to the magazine weight problem.

Just don't use Vietnam era steel ones.

Omen
01-24-19, 17:05
The better question is why, out of either your own insecurity or over-inflated sense of self-importance, do you feel the need to constantly tell people your opinion of what they are doing when it was never asked for? Especially when you don't even have the decency to answer the question they originally proposed while shoveling your opinion at them like a pile of unwanted manure.

You are asking for free information and getting upset when you get what you pay for. No one here owes you anything.

Not.
A.
Thing.

Act accordingly.

Wake27
01-24-19, 17:21

FYI - you clearly think that you’re owed something by everyone here, which is false. If you have a stupid idea, you’ll get told it’s a stupid idea here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammer_Man
01-24-19, 17:26
Not my pic, not my measurements, but a simple Google search returned the following results:

https://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa393/officerfrasher/Capture_zpsyh8dnqwy.png

To bring things back to the topic at hand, this confirms my suspicions in regards to Pmags being heavier than GI mags. I suspect if the Lancers were put on the scale they would be very close in weight to the GI mag.

arptsprt
01-24-19, 18:01
Wake,

What if I reloaded my own 5.56 rounds and instead of using the typical 55 or 62 grain projectiles, I loaded like a 35 grain bullet and reduced the powder charge? Oh, and I would also trim down the case wall to reduce thickness thus saving more weight.

Would that be a stupid idea?

FYI - you clearly think that you’re owed something by everyone here, which is false. If you have a stupid idea, you’ll get told it’s a stupid idea here.

Fredkrueger100
01-24-19, 18:02
I have magpul, GI, MFT, and hex mags. Seems the hex mags are the lightest I have. But I haven’t scaled them to find out. I used to have some Troy battle mags but got rid of them. I hate those magazines.

kirkland
01-24-19, 18:18

Sometimes people on gun forums are really bad at answering simple questions, giving answers to questions that were never asked instead - then not even realizing their comments don't actually help the person they were responding to.

USGI LIGHTEST MAG.

There's your answers.

grizzman
01-24-19, 18:27
I don't own any 30 round Lancer magazines, but I do have a 20 round one and 20 round M3 Pmags. The Lancer is .33 oz lighter than the PMAG. 2/3 of the weight difference is in the the body, while the remainder is in the follower/spring assembly.

A very rough estimate is that the weight difference between 30 round mags would be less than .5 oz.

I agree that using a 20 round aluminum magazine would make a noticeable (not simply measurable) difference in the weight of the weapon (naturally with it full of heavy ammo).

3 AE
01-24-19, 19:07
PMAG GEN-3 w/o Dust Covers Color: Black

10 Rnd. 2.75 oz.
20 Rnd. 4.12 oz.
30 Rnd. 5.00 oz.

OKAY/NHMTG/COLT MilSpec Dry Film Lube Grey, except 10 Rnd. which are Black PTFE

10 Rnd. 2.50 oz.
20 Rnd. 2.75 oz.
30 Rnd. 4.00 oz.

Scale used: OXO Food Scale Note: Scale is not calibrated or certified by any US/International Standards Organizations.

As always, Have nice day.

BuzzinSATX
01-24-19, 19:27
PMAG GEN-3 w/o Dust Covers Color: Black

10 Rnd. 2.75 oz.
20 Rnd. 4.12 oz.
30 Rnd. 5.00 oz.

OKAY/NHMTG/COLT MilSpec Dry Film Lube Grey, except 10 Rnd. which are Black PTFE

10 Rnd. 2.50 oz.
20 Rnd. 2.75 oz.
30 Rnd. 4.00 oz.

Scale used: OXO Food Scale Note: Scale is not calibrated or certified by any US/International Standards Organizations.

As always, Have nice day.

This is the info the OP should be looking at. If weight is truly the main consideration, then smaller mags and less ammo makes sense. But if one thinks they may be in a situation where they would really need 30 round magazines, if that were me, magazine reliability would trump an ounce or two every time.

The obsession to minimize weight is an objective that makes little sense to me unless I'm humping over mountains chasing elk and bighorn sheep. If I'm looking for a light AR15, maybe go with a 14.5", short rail, minimalist gun, but sweating magazines? Too far down the rabbit hole for me...

FightinQ
01-24-19, 20:25
Splitting hairs really.

jsbhike
01-24-19, 21:16
Gen 2 pmag, with or without window, no cover: 4.8 oz

Only a sample of one, but brown EPM: 4.2 oz

turnburglar
01-25-19, 12:23
1 oz of weight savings over a 6 pound rifle= 1% in weight savings.

GH41
01-25-19, 15:57
1 oz of weight savings over a 6 pound rifle= 1% in weight savings.

And if he has a 5# rifle it is a whopping 1.25%! For the record a Gen2 Pmag weighs .85 oz more than a Okay GI mag. .85 oz is the exact weight of 2 rounds of 855. That's how crazy the lightweight game gets.

jsbhike
01-25-19, 20:19
I have to admit, I thought there was a larger weight difference between pmags and usgi.

wdigeorge
01-25-19, 22:32
For what it is worth, we use 20rd aluminum OKAY SureFeed Magazines in our 3.8lbs OIP (Ounces Is Pounds) Ultralight Rifle. It is the best magazine, in our opinion, when you’re taking into consideration for weight and reliability. Like many had stated before, polymer will certainly be heavier and likely less reliable. There needs to be a balance between going lightweight and still be reliable, strong, safe, functional, etc.

FightinQ
01-25-19, 22:39
For what it is worth, we use 20rd aluminum OKAY SureFeed Magazines in our 3.8lbs OIP (Ounces Is Pounds) Ultralight Rifle. It is the best magazine, in our opinion, when you’re taking into consideration for weight and reliability. Like many had stated before, polymer will certainly be heavier and likely less reliable. There needs to be a balance between going lightweight and still be reliable, strong, safe, functional, etc.How's a Pmag or a Lancer not as reliable enough? And didn't a polymer mag come out on top over an Okay Surefeed during the tests for a replacement or a fix because of the issues with M855A1?

MountainRaven
01-25-19, 23:25
How's a Pmag or a Lancer not as reliable enough? And didn't a polymer mag come out on top over an Okay Surefeed during the tests for a replacement or a fix because of the issues with M855A1?

He said, "likely." A key word, there.

I would bet a GenM3 Pmag of any variation will outperform any USGI aluminum magazine in reliability.

But IMO, a Surefeed is, "acceptably," reliable. Even if my 20-round GenM3s are more reliable, at least in those marginal situations, where you're running full-auto M855A1, &c.

PewPewKC
01-26-19, 07:23
Lancer Hybrid - no dust cover - Translucent Smoke

20 rnd - 3.1 oz
30 rnd - 3.9 oz

Weighed on an uncertified Accuteck digital postal scale

carbine357
01-26-19, 10:18
[QUOTE=Iraqgunz;2699433] I am predicting a train wreck.[/QUOTE
agree on train wreck. best is heaviest. h&k-416 mags. never seen 1 fail in use.

Spending all this time on GRAMS, need to focus on barrel wt, butt stock,sites. lots of things to lighten,before mags. can't have your cake and eat it too

carbine 357

pag23
01-29-19, 14:04
Get some Beretta steel 30 round mags... it will do you good....

wanderson
01-30-19, 17:15
I don’t have a scale but I’d say my 20 round Okay/Surefeeds or Lancers are lightest.

I like lightweight builds but I think a lot of them are just for bragging rights. Spend a fortune on Uber light parts or questionable parts made from cardboard then stick a D60 drum in it.

GH41
01-30-19, 17:31
I don’t have a scale but I’d say my 20 round Okay/Surefeeds or Lancers are lightest.

I like lightweight builds but I think a lot of them are just for bragging rights. Spend a fortune on Uber light parts or questionable parts made from cardboard then stick a D60 drum in it.

Looks like the OP is gone. Maybe the thread should be put to sleep.

308sako
01-30-19, 17:54
Heck make sure you load those mags up with 40 grain bullets to save even more.:p

Always someone out there quicker and faster than me :-(

MountainRaven
01-30-19, 19:16
Looks like the OP is gone. Maybe the thread should be put to sleep.

Looks like OP is here, as his (her?) profile shows last activity today.

flenna
01-30-19, 19:17

Yes, and like a train wreck you know it's going to be bad but you cannot look away.

Eazyeach
01-30-19, 19:51
What the hell? Why do the derpiest threads get the most pages. If you want a light rifle get a 15-22 for f&$k’s sake.

AndyLate
01-30-19, 19:56
If you want a light rifle get a 15-22 for f&$k’s sake.

I might do that. What do the mags weigh?

Andy

MistWolf
01-30-19, 22:07
I might do that. What do the mags weigh?

Andy

16 ounces to the pound

Carbine4
01-31-19, 09:11
Thank you all for the helpful responses.

So far it seems that for absolute weight savings I'd want to go for an aluminum 10 or 20 round magazine. I am surprised that aluminum is lighter than polymer.

However, the question still remains about which polymer 30 round magazines I should get for the general purpose rifle where reliability and durability matter as well as low weight. In this case it seems like pmag may not be the best because it's significantly heavier than the alternatives, as long as the alternatives offer comparable reliability/durability. Lancer is one I am considering because I've heard good things about it. I welcome any input on which ones are the most comparable in reliability, and then I can go with whichever one is the lightest.

Carbine4
01-31-19, 09:14
You are asking for free information and getting upset when you get what you pay for. No one here owes you anything.

Not.
A.
Thing.

Act accordingly.

You are answering questions that were never asked and vomiting out unsolicited opinions, then getting upset just because someone points out that your post is both irrelevant to the thread topic and unhelpful to the question posed.

Nobody here owes you fawning appreciation and unquestioned acceptable for whatever garbage you want to shovel at their feet.

Act accordingly.

You clearly think you are owed something by the posters of this forum, which is false. If you have a stupid/worthless response, you're going to be told it's a stupid/worthless response.

Taking the attitude that nobody on this forum owes anyone respect cuts both ways. Don't be a hypocrit by getting butthurt when it cuts back your way.

Doc Safari
01-31-19, 09:16
Train, meet derailment.

Voodoochild
01-31-19, 09:30
This thread is done.