PDA

View Full Version : Best climate on Earth?

ABNAK
01-27-19, 19:48
Was just looking at Wiki about the Azores (I'm bored!). Was wondering what the yearly temps were and was quite intrigued by what I saw. There has never been a recorded frost, snow, or ice at sea level there:

Lows drop into the low 50's in the winter (obviously at night).....that's it! Highs then are in the 60's.

Summer has lows in the 60's and highs in the upper 70's. Very little variance over the course of a year.

Certainly no extremes of frigid, or conversely, baking your ass off. Sounds like the perfect combination of temps to me. I recall reading about a place in Colombia that had similar temps, albeit 5-10 degrees or so warmer than the Azores year-round but the humidity was also higher. In addition it was at altitude being situated in the mountains, so that is why the temps aren't hotter being as it is in Colombia.

Any other perfect weather AO's on this rock you guys have heard of?

Firefly
01-27-19, 20:03
NOT GEORGIA!

You will bitterly freeze one day and roast the next. Very rarely is it ever "just right"

Honu
01-27-19, 20:04
my home :) Maui had to move away sadly in my 40s but sea level that is the weather ya get all year round
no time change consistent on that to as in sunset sunrise all year round so no radical changes like mainland parts

one side is dry desert the other tropical rain and if you want a few hours you can be in huge pine forests to tropical type rain forest to one of the highest rainfall spots on earth and even freezing cold temps if you go to the summit all within hours of each other since Maui is over 10k tall

MegademiC
01-27-19, 20:04
Good for some people. I think 83 is ideal temp, I like getting in the water and heat does not bother me- i prefer tropical climates.

AKDoug
01-27-19, 20:27
Good for some people. I think 83 is ideal temp, I like getting in the water and heat does not bother me- i prefer tropical climates.

And I'm the complete opposite... I'll take a sunny 30F day in the snow over 85 and the beach every time. It's a good thing people are all different or we'd be all jammed into the same climates.

ABNAK
01-27-19, 20:36

Same here. The Azores could use a bump of maybe 5-10 degrees year-round and it would suit me just fine. Upper 70's (in the summer) just ain't swimming weather.

That said, it is pretty decent as-is.

San Diego is another spot I've read has very little variance year-round, but obviously you'd have to live in Kalifornia!

SomeOtherGuy
01-27-19, 20:48
It isn't for nothing that California is overpopulated!!! I don't live there for many reasons, but the coastal climate is pretty nice.

Bermuda is not too different from what you posted for Azores, but slightly hotter in summer, slightly cooler (not cold) in winter, and some risk of hurricanes.

Various parts of Australia, New Zealand's northern island, and Cape Town, SA all have nice climate as well.

Bulletdog
01-27-19, 21:10
I saw a thing on TV that said the best weather on the planet was in Lomita CA. I grew up very near there. We didn't have AC and we only rarely turned on the heater in the middle of "winter".

I much prefer hot weather. 100 degree summer days don't bother me a bit. On the other hand, I can also acclimate to the cold just fine. I worked in Des Moines Iowa in Dec and Jan and had no problems. I was sweating like a pig during a warm spell when the temp climbed all the way up to 23 F.

OldState
01-27-19, 21:42
When I was younger I spent a ton of time outside camping, backpacking, skiing, etc. My tolerance for both heat and cold were very high. Now in my 40’s I can’t stand heat and humidity. The cold bothers me a bit more than when I was young but not as bad as the heat.
Unless I’m at the beach or next to a pool I would I’d take sunny and 25 degrees over 90 and humid.

Best weather I’ve ever been around is in SoCal but there is 0.000 chance I would ever take up residence there.

ALCOAR
01-27-19, 22:20
I've actually researched this a bit using a specific metric that I believe in conjunct with avg. temps yield the best place to live.

The place with the best average temps, but more importantly the most steady barometric pressure (little swings) was San Diego, California. Honolulu was second in the barometric pressure category, but I've been there personally, and the humidity is a real killer.

glocktogo
01-27-19, 23:07
Check out the Wiki page for Cuenca, Ecuador. Very nice.

You can also look at Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay. Their gun laws and political climate are much better, but the climate itself isn’t quite as nice and it can be windy in Uruguay.

Wake27
01-27-19, 23:43
Oahu did have some awesome weather. So gorgeous there, I love being back in a free state but I really do miss it.

Honu
01-28-19, 00:47
Folks need to visit the outer islands and get upcountry for that bit nicer weather then

Campbell
01-28-19, 00:56
Bora Bora would be fine with me.

Wake27
01-28-19, 00:57
Folks need to visit the outer islands and get upcountry for that bit nicer weather then

Its really sad that I was there for almost five years and only went to another island once.

Honu
01-28-19, 04:12
Yeah most don’t
I only went to Kauai once ;)

So which one did ya go to ?

Spent time on the others quite a bit Oahu and big isle
also lived on Lanai (Maui county) in the 90s freaking amazing hunt fish everyday
Maui no ka oi so true so much diverse terrain great but small 4x4 tracks etc....also good hunting fishing beaches hiking everything
If ya go back at least ya know what local food is like and what to get ;)

My cuz lived on Tenerife and says it’s a lot like the islands in the 70s and loves it

Sounded nice would like to visit there one day

Its really sad that I was there for almost five years and only went to another island once.

Business_Casual
01-28-19, 05:49
my home :) Maui had to move away sadly in my 40s but sea level that is the weather ya get all year round
no time change consistent on that to as in sunset sunrise all year round so no radical changes like mainland parts

one side is dry desert the other tropical rain and if you want a few hours you can be in huge pine forests to tropical type rain forest to one of the highest rainfall spots on earth and even freezing cold temps if you go to the summit all within hours of each other since Maui is over 10k tall

Yeah, I would say that Hawaii is called paradise for good reason.

OH58D
01-28-19, 08:12
West Coast Marine Climate - San Diego. You can have a warm sun and a cool breeze at the same time. Now we just have to figure out how to return that area to a pre-1950's demographic?

Adrenaline_6
01-28-19, 08:20
Yeah most don’t

also lived on Lanai (Maui county) in the 90s freaking amazing hunt fish everyday
Maui no ka oi so true so much diverse terrain great but small 4x4 tracks etc....also good hunting fishing beaches hiking everything

My cuz lived on Tenerife and says it’s a lot like the islands in the 70s and loves it

I have family in Kauai and Maui. I grew up in Oahu. I like Kauai the best (Anahola area) and Maui a close second (Hana area - Na Hiku). Miss the food and family.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-28-19, 08:48
West Coast Marine Climate - San Diego. You can have a warm sun and a cool breeze at the same time. Now we just have to figure out how to return that area to a pre-1950's demographic?

Hell, just the density. (Eta: humidity, spell check is gettin jacked)

I don't know where it is, CA is probably the closest. Low humidity and stable temps. I don't mind a freeze everyonce in awhile to keep bugs down. Low humidity, but in the run-off from mountians- so the air is dry, but there is plenty of water.

A warmer Jackson Hole. Someplace in Chile? Probably Melbourne or CapeTown?

kerplode
01-28-19, 09:45
CO weather is highly variable.

But it's like the old saying goes...If you don't like the weather in Colorado, go back to where ever the hell you came from. Well, I think that's how it goes, anyway... ;-)

Wake27
01-28-19, 10:00
Yeah most don’t

Big Island. I went to Kauai once many years ago before I was living there. Never made it to Maui but we will definitely go back on a real vacation.

chuckman
01-28-19, 10:58
I liked San Diego, summer is beautiful. Winter does get chilly, a cool breeze coming off the ocean, and can be pretty cloudy. I loved the lack of southeast-like humidity.

But if you are a water buff the water is just too cold, all the time.

Wake27
01-28-19, 11:02
I liked San Diego, summer is beautiful. Winter does get chilly, a cool breeze coming off the ocean, and can be pretty cloudy. I loved the lack of southeast-like humidity.

San Diego does have an incredible climate as well. I went to High School in Coronado and was definitely spoiled by the weather.

Jer
01-28-19, 11:16
CO weather is highly variable.

But it's like the old saying goes...If you don't like the weather in Colorado, go back to where ever the hell you came from. Well, I think that's how it goes, anyway... ;-)

Shh.... people might be listening. "Colorado sucks. Don't come here. It's dark, gloomy and blizzard-y year 'round here. You'd hate it!"

soulezoo
01-28-19, 12:05
I have spent a lot of time in the Azores. I don't care what was printed, it is far from ideal with weather. I sat through a hurricane there once with nothing but a bottle of 40 year old port and a Swanson TV dinner. Next morning was not pleasant in any context. It can be hot and muggy, like Louisiana, or cold and dreary like San Francisco in the summer. I agree that San Diego has the most consistent year round warm weather. So does Tijuana...(please just go there). I have timeshares in both Maui (Kaanapali) and Kauai (Princeville). I like both equally, but they are very different from one another. Oahu is too damn crowded and commercialized. I have to go to north shore to enjoy. Tahiti, Bora Bora, Fiji, Pago Pago are all good as well.

chuckman
01-28-19, 14:27
Mykonos, Greece. Pretty awesome. Average high 82, average low 59. Little humidity, nice breeze.

Honu
01-28-19, 14:48
I have family in Kauai and Maui. I grew up in Oahu. I like Kauai the best (Anahola area) and Maui a close second (Hana area - Na Hiku). Miss the food and family.
thats cool :)
the old saying you don't choose a island a islands chooses you !
I still make local food all the time :) BUT I cant get some of the goodies so have to substitute lucky I can get Aloha Shoyu at the store :) but things like redondos sausage I cant find
I miss buying mochi all the time or musubi etc..

yeah the one time I went Kauai was nice :) reckon I should have went more but never had the reason hahahahha

always a few jerks that ruin places BUT if you live there get to know locals :) you will truly find some of the most genuine people around and so friendly giving etc..
mainland folks are not quite the same with hospitality etc...

considering most in the islands use their carport as a place to eat gather I remember having many Thanksgivings and Xmas dinners in the carport with neighbors walking buy and everyone visiting others from the neighborhoods

to bad its gotten so insane $$$$ wise to live there and buy a home condo etc.. so many I know have moved off island some because of my age bought places before the huge jump but not sure how others are going to afford it

Adrenaline_6
01-28-19, 15:32
thats cool :)
the old saying you don't choose a island a islands chooses you !
I still make local food all the time :) BUT I cant get some of the goodies so have to substitute lucky I can get Aloha Shoyu at the store :) but things like redondos sausage I cant find
I miss buying mochi all the time or musubi etc..

yeah the one time I went Kauai was nice :) reckon I should have went more but never had the reason hahahahha

always a few jerks that ruin places BUT if you live there get to know locals :) you will truly find some of the most genuine people around and so friendly giving etc..
mainland folks are not quite the same with hospitality etc...

considering most in the islands use their carport as a place to eat gather I remember having many Thanksgivings and Xmas dinners in the carport with neighbors walking buy and everyone visiting others from the neighborhoods

to bad its gotten so insane $$$$ wise to live there and buy a home condo etc.. so many I know have moved off island some because of my age bought places before the huge jump but not sure how others are going to afford it

Yes, we also try and make what we can food wise, but sometimes the "secret" ingredients aren't available so you gotta just make due. No Redondos here either...or mochi. We can make our own musubi. No matter where you go there are a-holes. Locals included. I was a local in Hawaii, so I had no problems with fitting in...lol. The prices are insane. The median price of a house in Oahu is +$800,000. No way. I moved because of that back in '05. I still miss it, but I don't see me going back due to prices and the gun laws. I'll visit family, every so often, that's it.

Dr. Bullseye
01-28-19, 19:16
Baja California. Just go north or south for more or less heat. Baja is mostly dry and ideal and just another reason we need to seize it from Mexico.

ABNAK
01-28-19, 19:34

Amen brother! Other than the obvious political clown-show that makes me not like Kali, the Pacific is just too damn cold! Yep, summer too. All those miles of pretty beach and you need a wetsuit to swim in it comfortably.

Just got back from Punta Cana, D.R. The water there, in the dead of northern hemisphere winter, is roughly 80 F. I LOVE getting in the ocean. Those resorts can shove their pools! I go for the beach/ocean. 80 F is a little jolt when you jump in then it's fine. I can tread water and shoot the breeze with someone for a long time. In Kali? Nope. Now the air temperature in a place like San Diego is supposedly pretty awesome year-round. That said, it would detract from it's climate not being able to go for a nice ocean dip (minus significant amounts of alcohol or a wetsuit).

Honu
01-28-19, 20:15
Yes, we also try and make what we can food wise, but sometimes the "secret" ingredients aren't available so you gotta just make due. No Redondos here either...or mochi. We can make our own musubi. No matter where you go there are a-holes. Locals included. I was a local in Hawaii, so I had no problems with fitting in...lol. The prices are insane. The median price of a house in Oahu is +$800,000. No way. I moved because of that back in '05. I still miss it, but I don't see me going back due to prices and the gun laws. I'll visit family, every so often, that's it.

yeah when I moved my one daughter was born there my boy here on mainland
sadly he calls his slippas flip flops cause his friends do here :) hahahahaha so I like give em hard time over that :)

but yeah west side Maui the last place we lived looked it up and its 1.2 million now

its sad really what has happened again not sure what the next gen is going to do to afford it also the batu/meth problems and stuff
me being in my 50s lot of my friends bought homes before the huge jump but again what their kids going to do when they wana buy ?

so question for ya about FL ? ya like it ?

I spent 3 months there working the dive scene but did not like it was in Ft Lauderdale though and that place sucked to me :) keys were to populated reminded me of Oahu more than anything just busy busy ? everyone says I shoulda check out Naples side ?
one of my buddies went there freaked out to many old ladys and every color of trash people he was north of sarasota area on the inner coastal area that cuts in ? so he moved to the Caribbean and was happier

whats your thoughts on FL locations ? seems some places have the no worries attitude and the dive guys back then were chill but I miss the water big time

Adrenaline_6
01-29-19, 08:12
yeah when I moved my one daughter was born there my boy here on mainland
sadly he calls his slippas flip flops cause his friends do here :) hahahahaha so I like give em hard time over that :)

but yeah west side Maui the last place we lived looked it up and its 1.2 million now

its sad really what has happened again not sure what the next gen is going to do to afford it also the batu/meth problems and stuff
me being in my 50s lot of my friends bought homes before the huge jump but again what their kids going to do when they wana buy ?

so question for ya about FL ? ya like it ?

I spent 3 months there working the dive scene but did not like it was in Ft Lauderdale though and that place sucked to me :) keys were to populated reminded me of Oahu more than anything just busy busy ? everyone says I shoulda check out Naples side ?
one of my buddies went there freaked out to many old ladys and every color of trash people he was north of sarasota area on the inner coastal area that cuts in ? so he moved to the Caribbean and was happier

whats your thoughts on FL locations ? seems some places have the no worries attitude and the dive guys back then were chill but I miss the water big time

I like it here, but I am in Port Orange. South of Daytona , North of New Smyrna. Nice suberb that is starting to get crowded. It held its value relative to a lot of Florida due to the it having pretty good public schools. I know the high school was ranked in the top 100 at one time. Pretty rare for a Florida school. The city planning committee keeps things nice which is really important. That committee can make or break a city and they have done a great job. It's the little things like keeping the main road though the city lined with trees. You can hardly see the Super Target, Lowes, Super Walmart, etc from the roadway. Keeps it nice. Add to the fact that we have a very good police presence that doesn't tolerate the bs. This keeps most of the riff raff in the ghetto areas like South Daytona and Holly Hill.

It gets colder than Hawaii, gets hotter, and is more humid...but you acclimate and learn to deal with it. The beach is less than 10 miles from my house so thats a plus too. The gulf stream is nice in the summer. The first time I got into the ocean and felt water over 80 degrees I was like, wtf? Its pretty nice though.