PDA

View Full Version : Do you really need an IR illuminator if you have a good set of night vision?

Chris42393
01-28-19, 07:55
Do you really need an IR illuminator if you have a good set of night vision? Im getting the TNV/PVS-14 L3 Gen3 Un-Filmed White Phosphor and was debating on getting the DBAL A3 or I2. If you have a good set of NODs, is an IR illuminator really necessiary?

Thanks!

Chris

RHINOWSO
01-28-19, 07:56
Yes, especially when it’s really really dark outside.

OldGrayGuy
01-28-19, 08:18
Not sure of your intended use of night vision but I can't think of too many applications where the additional illumination wouldn't be of benefit. Yes, the IR source can give your position away to an adversary who also has NODs, but I believe most experts would agree that this tradeoff is worth it. The key is judicious and limited use, similar to using a white light.
Not trying to sound judgemental but from reading your post it sounds like you don't have a lot of experience or formal training with NODs and IR mounted illuminators / aiming devices. When properly zeroed the capabilities of modern equipment is just amazing. If your budget can afford it you won't believe how effective this equipment can be. Makes you get over that feeling of safety that you probably have now in the darkness...

Chris42393
01-28-19, 08:19
Yes, especially when it’s really really dark outside.

Thanks for the reply Rhino :) I have no experience with NVG or IR type devices, so I have no idea lol Guess ill be getting the A3!

Chris42393
01-28-19, 08:21
Not sure of your intended use of night vision but I can't think of too many applications where the additional illumination wouldn't be of benefit. Yes, the IR source can give your position away to an adversary who also has NODs, but I believe most experts would agree that this tradeoff is worth it. The key is judicious and limited use, similar to using a white light.
Not trying to sound judgemental but from reading your post it sounds like you don't have a lot of experience or formal training with NODs and IR mounted illuminators / aiming devices. When properly zeroed the capabilities of modern equipment is just amazing. If your budget can afford it you won't believe how effective this equipment can be. Makes you get over that feeling of safety that you probably have now in the darkness...

Thanks for the reply! You're absolutely right lol I have ZERO experience. But thats good to hear, guess the extra money is worth it! Thanks again :)

thopkins22
01-28-19, 08:43
Just to be clear, the PVS-14 has a built in illuminator, which is the last position on the switch. You will rarely ever use it.

Yes you definitely want an illuminator on your rifle.

Outlander Systems
01-28-19, 10:46
1) Yes.
2) Get a DBAL D2.

Do you really need an IR illuminator if you have a good set of night vision? Im getting the TNV/PVS-14 L3 Gen3 Un-Filmed White Phosphor and was debating on getting the DBAL A3 or I2. If you have a good set of NODs, is an IR illuminator really necessiary?

Thanks!

Chris

nick84
01-28-19, 12:32
I've not ever shot with NODs as a civilian, the last I used was a PVS-14. If I were in the market for a nice set (I get the impression that the market has quite a few nice sets available these days) I wouldn't even bother to do so until I could afford the PEQ or DBAL to go with it. I never cared for rail mounted night vision, and it seems like trying to look through an NV capable EOtech or Aimpoint while wearing a pair would seem awkward compared to simply using the IR. I wouldn't want to night shoot without IR actually.

Eurodriver
01-28-19, 12:36
An IR illuminator is absolutely necessary in almost every conceivable situation.

TMS951
01-28-19, 12:46
I have a set up with a Surefire IR scout light and a Steiner CQBL-1. It is a good solution as you get white light/IR light and Vis/IR laser for about 1100$.

You often don't 'need' the IR illuminator with Gen3 WP imo, you can 'see' the target. With the IR you can make much better identification though.

There are times its so dark it doesn't matter had good you gear is, you will need IR light. In these situations I turn on the IR illuminator built into my nods.

Chris42393
01-28-19, 13:30
Thanks everyone for the help :) I figured id probably need it, just wanted to make sure haha I always like to be careful when spending $1000+ dollars. Cant wait! Ill be ordering my NODs soon and then the A3 right after :)

Iraqgunz
01-28-19, 14:27
Do you really need to post this here when we have a section dealing with this topic?

https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?15-Tactical-Lights-Lasers-amp-Knives