PDA

View Full Version : Magpul PMag question

CobraBG
11-05-08, 16:57
I am getting some 30 rnd mags and can't decide if the window is worth the extra money. I understand that you can view what rounds are in the mag and how many are left.

What do you other Magpul users prefer? Thanks

chadbag
11-05-08, 17:15
From not an expert:

I like them. If you learn to use them correctly (know how to read them) they can be useful.

Don't include the window in your training regimen though as you are not guaranteed to always have them so you don't want to rely on them in your training drills that you use.

Abraxas
11-05-08, 17:17
I do see how it could be useful but if you buy enough mags, the extra money spent on window mags would add up to another mag and it does not truly help that much in my experience.If you need to see your rounds in the mag just get some L5 translucent's.

Abraxas
11-05-08, 17:19
From not an expert:

Don't include the window in your training regimen though as you are not guaranteed to always have them so you don't want to rely on them in your training drills that you use.

Not only that, but in a low light no light situation you wont be to likely to use the window.

CobraBG
11-05-08, 18:15
I'm having doubts that the window is worth the extra money. A good point about the cost adder per mag adding up to a new mag, and in low light/darkness it's no help.

I plan to buy 20 of the 30 rnd mags (I wish I could afford more). The price adder for the window will add up quickly.

Thanks for the replies, anyone else?

sdcromer
11-05-08, 19:10
I bought one with the window just to have one, but the rest of my Pmags are without. I don't plant to buy another with the window.

Hellfire
11-05-08, 19:31
I prefer no window, due to cost.

CAPT KIRK
11-05-08, 19:53
I have all windowed mags.

Just a thought..... If you have a partner next to you, his sideward glance or periferal vison may give him a clue if your next reload is eminent of not.

Another thing...... I have learned where my rounds sit visually when fully loaded and the mag is seated against a closed bolt (a full five rounds showing). So when I insert a magazine I know was fully loaded and rack the action, I can now "chamber/press check" by just rotating the gun slightly and observing that the ammo level in the mag has now changed by one round (four and 1/2 rounds showing). If you use this idea and want to make it simpler, use a paint marker to mark where the bottom round sits when the mag is fully loaded and seated in the gun with the bolt forward, then you have a quick referance mark.

Just some thoughts... I love mine, but to each his own.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-05-08, 20:16
about half of my PMags have windows.....but i've only bought the windowed ones when the windowless ones were sold out :mad: yeah, it sucks to pay more, but i'd rather pay more than not have enough PMags

having used them, i dont see the point of the windows. a good portion of the mag is in the magazine well anyway, so even with the window you cant always tell how many rounds are in your mag. in any real sort of situation, self-defense/duty/3-gun, who would have the time to check the window? when i turn my weapon to the side its almost always for a status check...and if i'm doing that, chances are i'm going to be dropping the mag at that point anyway.

also, if you have time to stop scanning for threats and check the window, you have time to do a tactical reload, so its sort of a moot point

if the magazine isn't in the weapon, you can always gauge round remaining based on weight.

i personally don't have a use for the windows at all. maybe someone with more wind-tunnel time than me knows how to get the most out of them, but its a feature that i don't use.

CAPT KIRK
11-05-08, 20:23
about half of my PMags have windows.....but i've only bought the windowed ones when the windowless ones were sold out :mad: yeah, it sucks to pay more, but i'd rather pay more than not have enough PMags

having used them, i dont see the point of the windows. a good portion of the mag is in the magazine well anyway, even with the window you cant always tell how many rounds are in your mag. who would have the time to check that anyway. the only time i turn my weapon to the side is for a status check...and i'm looking at the action, not trying to check how many rounds i have left

if the magazine isn't in the weapon, you can always gauge round remaining based on weight.

i personally don't have a use for the windows at all. maybe someone with more wind-tunnel time than me knows how to get the most out of them, but its a feature that i don't use.

Actually you can.... If you look the spring should be painted orange in one spot. This painted spot is your fuel gauge in the window. When the painted portion reaches the top of the magazine you are running dry.

I am NOT a Magpul rep or anything... Ive just grown to appreciate their inovation on this product.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-05-08, 21:06
a day just isn't complete for me, unless i spread disinformation on teh interwebs :rolleyes:

thanks for correcting my mistake, Kirk.

personally i still never check the window...orange line or no. maybe its a training issue, because i've used USGI mags for so long

others may be able to take advantage of the feature, but i don't have a use for it

CAPT KIRK
11-05-08, 21:18
a day just isn't complete for me, unless i spread disinformation on teh interwebs :rolleyes:

thanks for correcting my mistake, Kirk.

personally i still never check the window...orange line or no. maybe its a training issue, because i've used USGI mags for so long

others may be able to take advantage of the feature, but i don't have a use for it

Hey... I have enjoyed the dialog... this is how we all learn and thats why we are here right. I have learned much from being corrected and hearing different perspectives.

I grew up with GI mags too, and originally intended to buy windowless P-Mag's but my retailer only had the windowed ones. After using my first ten, the rest and those to come will have windows if possible. My GI mags are now my range/practice mags.

I will say to third parties veiwing this conversation... Never let bells and whistles replace basic fundamentals. The more bells and whistles you rely on, the more opportunity for Mr. Murphy to ruin your day, and the more time and thought you must put into your training and practice.

P.S. That is a COOL AVITAR

CobraBG
11-05-08, 23:01
Okay, I went and ordered the mags without the window. :) I ordered 20 of the 30 rnd PMags from www.mygotimegear.com and I was able to get in on the 15% discount (until midnight 11/5 pacific time). Including shipping they came to $12.72 each. Only problem... no stock, 4 to 5 weeks away. It's okay, I've got other mags. These will be my first PMags.

Thanks for the replies!

Iraqgunz
11-06-08, 01:14
When the SHTF and your adrenaline is going and you feel like you are going to piss or shit yourself the last thing going through your mind is a round count or looking through a "mag window". Just my .02 cents.

SwatDawg15
11-06-08, 01:21
All mine or non-windowed. Its the price for me. I can order 6 non-windowed for the same price as 5 windowed. The way I figured it is 1 free mag every 6 if buying non-windowed V. windowed.