PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor covers to mitigate mirage

MadAngler1
01-28-19, 22:59
What’s your favorites and why? I have a SOCOM 762, 556 and a Genesis. I really notice it shooting in the cold at distance. Thanks

Smokin338
01-29-19, 03:10
The SiCo made by Cole-Tac is hands down the best ! The velcro makes it a breeze to put and take off and they also offer a high-temp model that works.

sycotik
01-29-19, 06:46
I like Burn proof gear.

FlyingHunter
01-29-19, 14:26
Cole Tac

Pappabear
01-29-19, 14:31
I use Rifles Only HAD covers. Heat abatement device They are full auto mag dump rated. Kinda bulky because they have this heat resistant rubberish looking deal then a double layer cover. Pricy but very effective.

Never heard of Cole tac. Going to check them out. For bolt guns the HAD are overkill but I still run them because I have been known to dump 10 rounds of 300WM and that can get toasty.

PB

RHINOWSO
01-29-19, 17:10
I use Rifles Only HAD covers. Heat abatement device They are full auto mag dump rated. Kinda bulky because they have this heat resistant rubberish looking deal then a double layer cover. Pricy but very effective.

Yup, I use HADs on both of my centerfire rifle suppressors, an AAC762-SDN6 and 556 Saker-K.

They make a MAD (mirage abatement device) which I have on a rimfire suppressor - they make them for centerfire rifles too but you can't shoot very fast or they'll melt.

Mike Miller
01-29-19, 18:49
Bowers covers. They don't melt, they're relatively light, and they're cheaper than most competitors

gunnerblue
01-29-19, 20:56
I’ve just purchased an Armageddon Gear mirage cover from a fellow member. The inner insulating liner is attached to the outer shell and the bungee cord retention seems to be more positive than the SiCo Velcro attachment which I’ve previously used. No matter how tight I would strap the Velcro, the SiCo covers would always fly off- even after a 5-10 rounds from bolt guns.

The SiCo covers do a great job at mirage mitigation, though.

MadAngler1
01-30-19, 19:39
Thanks for the wide range of replies. I guess I’ll try a few different ones (like Rifles Only). I may try a Magpul one for my 5.56 SOCOM

mig1nc
01-31-19, 16:13
Thanks for the wide range of replies. I guess I’ll try a few different ones (like Rifles Only). I may try a Magpul one for my 5.56 SOCOMI wouldn't bother with the Magpul. It's huge, heavy, and gets in the way of lights. The only advantage it offers is airflow over the can to help it cool down.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

fedupflyer
02-01-19, 10:25
Don't bother with the Silencerco cover, it will fly off.

B Cart
02-01-19, 10:32
I've used the Armageddon Gear and SiCo ones extensively, and they have both been great. Pick either of those and you won't be dissapointed

jack crab
02-04-19, 11:43
My experience is limited to Cole Tac. They have worked great.

NFAREVIEW is/was a discount code. NFA Review is a YT channel that reviews/promotes Cole Tac products.

gunnerblue
02-04-19, 19:10
After using my new-to-me Armageddon Gear cover, it is my opinion that it is indeed much better than either SiCo offering. Better heat management and mirage reduction as well as a much more positive retention system.

mig1nc
02-05-19, 05:08
My experience is limited to Cole Tac. They have worked great.

NFAREVIEW is/was a discount code. NFA Review is a YT channel that reviews/promotes Cole Tac products.

Did you get the regular version or the high temp version with the extra liner? I want one for my precision AR, but adding an extra five-six ounces for the liner on an already front heavy gun doesn't excite me.

jack crab
02-05-19, 09:55
Did you get the regular version or the high temp version with the extra liner? I want one for my precision AR, but adding an extra five-six ounces for the liner on an already front heavy gun doesn't excite me.

I got the regular as far as I know. It worked great in a couple carbine classes that involved rapid/repeated firing that heated things up. They should be fine for a precision AR that would have more time between shots.