PDA

View Full Version : Wolf red gunk

sjc3081
11-05-08, 17:24
I have been plinking with Wolf polymer. Today I cleaned my rifle, after only 120 rounds I had red hard gunk on the underside of my extractor. Not the extractor rim but inside the the bolt body.

R1pper
11-05-08, 18:02
Primer sealant. Privi uses orange and it gets all over as well. JUst a tip from personal expeince stay away from the Wolf Military Classic.

-DM-

markm
11-05-08, 19:45
Yeah. Take a look at the primers on that ammo.

sjc3081
11-05-08, 19:53
The primer sealant was hard, like melted plastic, and lumpy. A real eye opener.

m4fun
11-05-08, 20:18
That is the downside to primer sealant. Even using a piston upper, cleaning out under the extractor is a must(in my humble opinion) when using ammo with sealants. Not much elsewhere to clean. Makes good use of dental picks.

I am wondering, is this mainly a European thing? I know Privpart also seals theirs and they are brass not steel cased.

RogerinTPA
11-05-08, 20:48
As stated in the earlier post, It is normal for the red primer sealant for Russian and Prvi, but after cleaning M-16's, M-4's and AR's since the 70's, I've always disassemble the extractor and cleaned it, regardless of ammo being used. As stated, dental picks come in handy for cleaning all my firearms. I bought a set at a flea market a few years ago. You should see the gunk after firing over 2500 rounds of Russian ammo!:eek: FYI, Wolf MC is GTG in my book. I haven't had a single malfunction attributed to shooting Russian ammo (Wolf, Barnual, Brown/Silver bear) after shooting 9K+.;) If your weapon won't cycle it, get a Colt!

sjc3081
11-06-08, 06:34
RHarris, after 750 rounds of WolfMC I' had so much primer sealant in my bolt body that the blk spring and Oring upgraded extractor would not extract. And im running a Colt rifle.

markm
11-06-08, 08:16
I am wondering, is this mainly a European thing? I know Privpart also seals theirs and they are brass not steel cased.

No. Not a European thing. LC ammo is sealed at the primer too, as well as several American commercial ammos. It's somewhat of a military ammo thing.

Gunky primer sealant is just a Wolf thing. Premium ammos aren't going to give you this problem. It's just something to be aware of if you shoot a lot of Wolf.

Steve in PA
11-07-08, 22:50
I've shot a lot of Wolf MC through my Bushmaster and never noticed any junk under the extractor.

In fact I just shot another 300+ rounds on Thursday afternoon a a LEO firearms instructor seminar. Every single round fed, fired and extracted.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-07-08, 23:55
as other's have stated, NATO ammo has primer sealant as well....but its not red. i seem to recall it being a purplish color, but i'm not going to start opening my ammo cans to verify the color.

it seems like the PRVI and Wolf primer sealant is applied in a much more sloppy fashion, compared to Lake City. as such, it tends to get all over.

i wouldn't worry about it tho.

chances are it wont gum anything up..and chances are that PRVI and Wolf wont be the ammo you select for social purposes anyway. worst case scenario your extractor gets gummed up on the range, but i've never had this happen....most of the primer sealant will be on the bolt face. yeah bits of it do wind up getting in areas throughout the upper...but i have yet to see see primer sealant cause a malfunction.

i dont doubt when sjc3081 says that the sealant from Military Classic caused a malfunction in his Colt..anything's possible....but for the savings you get with PRVI i'm willing to take my chances with the sloppy primer sealant. its just plinking/training ammo. i've never used Wolf military classic ammo....only the stuff in the black box

boltcatch
11-08-08, 22:10
Alchohol on a Q-tip will remove it damn near instantly. Swish it around inside the barrel extension, you'll find a crapton of it in there too. Easiest thing to clean after shooting Wolf. :D

bkb0000
11-09-08, 03:57
the quality of wolf ammo must be entirely dependent upon what shift supervisor that was on when your batch was made.. or something. soooo many people claim to have fired thousands and thousands of rounds through 556 chambers and had NO problems, while others claim they've had nothing but problems with wolf through EITHER chamberings- myself included.

sjc3081
11-09-08, 07:33
100 rounds yesterday zero red gunk

RogerinTPA
11-09-08, 08:21
I have to agree. The stories are from one extream to the next. It seems either poor quality control or minimal PMCS (Preventive Maintenance, Checks and Services) on there assembly line equipment. I've had good luck with it so far, with 4K on one rifle exclusively with no malfunctions. I even ran it in a carbine course once. YMMV.

the quality of wolf ammo must be entirely dependent upon what shift supervisor that was on when your batch was made.. or something. soooo many people claim to have fired thousands and thousands of rounds through 556 chambers and had NO problems, while others claim they've had nothing but problems with wolf through EITHER chamberings- myself included.

Steve in PA
11-09-08, 16:08
I have close to 2k rounds of Wolf MC polymer through my Bushmaster M4 with zero problems.

At the end of last week I attended a two day LEO Firearms Instructor seminar in NJ. On Thursday afternoon was the patrol rifle segment. I put over 300+ rounds through my rifle and not one problem.

I just did a quick cleaning of the rifle and there was no red gunk on the bolt face or under the extractor.

bkb0000
11-09-08, 16:29
i'm sure you had plenty of red FLAKES in there. the flakes circulate around, get disolved by CLP and heat and start to gum up into crevices after a few hundred rounds.. i think most of it probably blows out with the spent cartridge, so it takes a while. i'm sure they feel justified by the fact that you really should be cleaning, at least a field clean, every few hundred rounds anyway.

decodeddiesel
11-14-08, 15:47
JUst a tip from personal expeince stay away from the Wolf Military Classic.
-DM-

*sigh* here we go again...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=12819&highlight=wolf

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=16023&highlight=wolf

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=16298&highlight=wolf

Aside from a wolf projectile being lodged in my calf, and the hole in my shin, I've never had problems with it.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-18-08, 23:53
Aside from a wolf projectile being lodged in my calf, and the hole in my shin, I've never had problems with it.

i really want to sig that, but know i shouldn't

bkb0000
11-19-08, 00:06
i really want to sig that, but know i shouldn't

sig it as a quote. if you don't, i will

Parabellum9x19mm
11-19-08, 00:22
its all you then. certainly sig-worthy.

diesel - did you get that present in the LoD or was it a ND?

bkb0000
11-19-08, 00:32
its all you then. certainly sig-worthy.

diesel - did you get that present in the LoD or was it a ND?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=21461&highlight=ricochet

Parabellum9x19mm
11-19-08, 00:43
thanks for the link. its good for everyone to read stories like that.

i know someone who caught a jacket off a spinner...wrong target for anything but a .22. the guy knew better too, but shit happens...and luck happens too.

glad you're ok for the most part, diesel.

decodeddiesel
11-19-08, 10:19
Yeah, it could have been a lot worse. Even though it really was a freak accident, it is a painful reminder of rule 4.