PDA

View Full Version : A couple of used guitars for sale.

Averageman
01-29-19, 14:26
https://www.christies.com/features/David-Gilmour-legendary-Black-Strat-comes-to-auction-9637-3.aspx
David Gilmour’s 1969 Black Fender Stratocaster has earned its place in rock’n’roll history. Known as ‘The Black Strat’, the guitar was purchased in 1970 at Manny’s on West 48th Street in New York, and has become the Pink Floyd singer and songwriter’s most identified instrument over the course of nearly 50 years.
Between 1970 and 1986, The Black Strat was Gilmour’s primary performance and recording guitar, and was key to the development of the Pink Floyd sound. It was played in the recordings of landmark albums such as the 1973 masterpiece The Dark Side of the Moon, which includes the track Money and is widely regarded as one of the greatest LPs of all time; Wish You Were Here (1975), featuring the track Shine on You Crazy Diamond, which Gilmour reveals ‘came out of’ The Black Strat; Animals (1977); and The Wall (1979), which features Gilmour’s legendary guitar solo on Comfortably Numb.

Just something you might want to bid on,....

Averageman
01-29-19, 15:23
I have a feeling "The Black Strat" is going to go for at least $500,000.

sgtrock82
01-29-19, 16:30
Neat stuff, thanks for sharing! Im not a musician, musically inclined or even "into" music at all but these are cool pieces of history with great stories. It was neat to see Gilmour also had Stratocaster #0001, also for auction.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Business_Casual
01-29-19, 19:05
The Gilmour tone isn’t that difficult to get, IMO. The mind that invented the songs is very special. I say this because some guitarists have very unique tone and because some of it comes from their fingers, it can be hard to copy.

Talon167
01-29-19, 19:05
Pretty cool. Hopefully it goes for a lot, but I doubt it will sell as high as Blackie (Clapton's black Strat). I think that thing went for like 900k... and that was in the early 2000s.

Averageman
01-29-19, 22:13
The Gilmour tone isn’t that difficult to get, IMO. The mind that invented the songs is very special. I say this because some guitarists have very unique tone and because some of it comes from their fingers, it can be hard to copy.

I've paid close attention to Gilmore over the years, he's pretty amazing. Technically not one of the Founding Fathers of Floyd he came in when Sid Barrett was mentally frail and quickly fading.
You can do a bit of quick research and find that "The Black Strat" tech data over the years is so well noted that it actually has it's own book available;
https://www.amazon.com/Pink-Floyd-History-Gilmours-Stratocaster/dp/1423445597
The book details all of the changes and modifications made to the Black Strat, its use on Pink Floyd tours and iconic albums, David's solo projects, and various guest appearances throughout the years.
The tech data is so well noted, if you have the skills to build an AR at home you certainly and nearly for the same money build a near exact copy of Gilmore's "Black Strat." What you can do with it once you build it might be the real challenge.
Ironically even if you buy the sheet music for something as relatively simple as "Wish you were here." actually getting the soul he put in to it is something totally different.