PDA

View Full Version : This is some scary stuff! How Google has invaded PC's.

SW-Shooter
01-29-19, 19:49
I've noticed a disturbing trend on several laptop/PC's.

I've been watching more TV of late (recovering from surgery), and I've noticed that my Youtube "recommended" preferences have directly mimicked what I have been watching on TV. What this means is that my laptop/PC has been listening to the TV, and picking up on the dialogue/soundtrack/scenes, and directly influencing what they recommend I watch.

Also, every search that I type (regardless of search engine) is also propagating these recommendations. So, basically google has taken over my laptop/PC and decides what I should view. This in itself is beyond intrusive. I've since deleted my Google account, restarted my computer, but it still exists in the background. I've also deactivated my microphone, but somehow it still is tailoring itself to other search engines.

Wake27
01-29-19, 20:26
I take it you haven’t been tuned into tech for the last few years? This is completely standard and probably takes a lot of effort to get away from. The scary stuff is when it shows you stuff that you swore you only thought about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HKGuns
01-29-19, 20:31
Ditch anything Google and quickly if you value your privacy. Those F-er's would sell your mother to make a buck and they're as left as they come.

Youtube is about the only thing I use by them anymore and frankly I don't think it will last long.

Arik
01-29-19, 21:01
Been trying to find a new TV that's not smart!

Read that there's a way to get a different operating system for Android phones but it's not cheap

Hmac
01-29-19, 21:29
I've noticed a disturbing trend on several laptop/PC's.

I've been watching more TV of late (recovering from surgery), and I've noticed that my Youtube "recommended" preferences have directly mimicked what I have been watching on TV. What this means is that my laptop/PC has been listening to the TV, and picking up on the dialogue/soundtrack/scenes, and directly influencing what they recommend I watch.

Also, every search that I type (regardless of search engine) is also propagating these recommendations. So, basically google has taken over my laptop/PC and decides what I should view. This in itself is beyond intrusive. I've since deleted my Google account, restarted my computer, but it still exists in the background. I've also deactivated my microphone, but somehow it still is tailoring itself to other search engines.

An interesting conclusion. Do you have some evidence to support it?

thopkins22
01-29-19, 22:05
An interesting conclusion. Do you have some evidence to support it?

Like always is the case; in any controlled environment, there will be no way to recreate it. Because listening to his television or conversations is not how it makes suggestions.

If there were a way to prove it, I’d bet $100 right now that his phone or laptop or whatever has never listened to his television in an actionable way. A smart TV however? We know that companies have been sued successfully for selling data from people who did not agree to the smart functions user agreement or whatever it is. So that IS possible.

With that said, for all that is wrong with them as a company, Apple does a much better job than the other big players right now at respecting privacy. I liked Roku the most, but now that Prime Video is available on Apple TV, I may get a new one and trust that only the apps are getting my info and not the device itself.

SW-Shooter
01-29-19, 22:08
Yes, one was I had watched "Fury" and within 5-10 minutes of the conclusion these deleted scenes popped up on my Youtube recommendations. Another was I binge watched "Dexter" all over again on the cable "On Demand" channel, within 5-15 minutes I had a video of "Dexter explained". I have quite a few more that I could add, but I think the point has been made. I do have a smart TV but it is not hooked up to my ISP.

I also have an Amazon Fire device, but as far as I know I haven't accepted any Term & Conditions that would allow them to sell my info to Google.

SW-Shooter
01-29-19, 22:11
I almost forgot, after watching LIVE PD this weekend, Youtube added all of these Cop video's to my Recommended list.

thopkins22
01-29-19, 22:13
Well shit. Maybe. [emoji1744]*[emoji3603]

SteyrAUG
01-29-19, 23:33
Whenever I go to my email, all the advertisements are directly related to past searches.

If you google it, your computer remembers. I guess that's better than seeing ads for Hillary's latest book.

As for TV, there are no Neilsons anymore. If you have any kind of service provider a "trend profile" is always created. The days of being an anonymous viewer who gets signals from the air are long gone.

thopkins22
01-30-19, 00:07
As for TV, there are no Neilsons anymore.

Four or five years ago I let them install the box in my tv. It was based on sound. Also pretty sure it ruined my television...they had to disassemble the damn thing and patch into it between he speakers and the wires.

I thought I would single handedly improve what America was watching. Turns out all they learned was that I didn’t watch tv and occasionally played a game of madden or something.

SW-Shooter
01-30-19, 00:09
Okay, I rented Hunter Killer tonight using on On Demand, guess what pops up on my Youtube recommended?

"Rear Admiral Schools Senator on Submarine capabilities"

I haven't watched any military video's, or have any history of looking for any Navy Sub stuff. This was all done using my cable box & non ISP connected Smart TV. The only way this could be logically connected is my cable box or Spectrum wifi modem is communicating with google services.

Rogue556
01-30-19, 00:13
I've mentioned this in another thread before, but after noticing adds for things I could have sworn my wife and I had only spoke about in person I started keeping mental tabs on what was showing up on my devices.

I've since talked about a few things with my wife that I know 100% neither of us has searched for, clicked links for, or done anything other than speak about in the vicinity of our phones, wondering if anything would show up... Sure enough though, within a week or two the adds start popping up.

From my experience there typically aren't as many adds for those things as the stuff you have manually searched for or willingly watched/clicked on, but they do show up.

Go through half of the apps on any given cell phone, tablet, or smart TV that the user themselves has to willingly download (not the ones that come pre loaded) and pay close attention to what permissions the apps are asking for. Many apps that don't have any voice activated features or media sharing capabilities still want access to your devices microphone, picture gallery, contacts, etc.. and those are just the honest ones..

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

SW-Shooter
01-30-19, 00:18
Rogue556, you are absolutely spot on. I was mentioning something the other day, and sure as shit it popped up on my google search. I was really baffled because it was so obscure, hell I even joked about google bugging the house. Now I'm not so sure it's a joke, or even funny.

SteyrAUG
01-30-19, 01:26
I almost forgot, after watching LIVE PD this weekend, Youtube added all of these Cop video's to my Recommended list.

Just about every website has a basic program to show you similar content that people who watched the same content also watched and "liked." And it still better than getting recommends for Oprah clips. I actually appreciate the feature, seen a lot of neat stuff I would never have found otherwise.

The Forgotten Weapons channel is a gold mine of info that I stumbled onto.

SteyrAUG
01-30-19, 01:31
Rogue556, you are absolutely spot on. I was mentioning something the other day, and sure as shit it popped up on my google search. I was really baffled because it was so obscure, hell I even joked about google bugging the house. Now I'm not so sure it's a joke, or even funny.

Do you use voice commands for your phone or other devices?

Also applications like Youtube, Google and Facebook will actually search for each other on your computer in an effort to link the accounts. Some people find it to be a convenience, I personally don't want them linked and it takes some effort to keep them in their own corner.

SW-Shooter
01-30-19, 01:42
Only for my iphone, I don't possess an Alexa or google device. Now I'm wondering if my iphone is listening, and routing the information to a third party such as google.

SteyrAUG
01-30-19, 01:48
Only for my iphone, I don't possess an Alexa or google device. Now I'm wondering if my iphone is listening, and routing the information to a third party such as google.

Likely, especially if you use your phone to surf the net.

VARIABLE9
01-30-19, 01:52
Choose your privacy settings
You can improve your browsing experience using web services. For example, Chrome can use a web service to automatically offer completions for search terms or website addresses you type in the address bar.

Most of these settings are turned on by default, but you can choose which you'd like on or off.

On your iPhone or iPad, open the Chrome app Chrome.
At the bottom right, tap More More and then Settings Settings.
Tap Privacy.
Tap the feature you want to update:
Under "Other Devices," turn Handoff on or off. Handoff lets you switch between browsing on your mobile device and browsing on your Mac computer.
Under "Web Services," choose whether to have Chrome show you suggestions or send usage statistics and crash reports.
To clear your browsing data, tap Clear Browsing Data and then select the data to clear and tap Clear Browsing Data.
Related topics
Read the finer details of how we treat your information in our Privacy Notice.
If you're using a Chromebook at work or school, your network administrator might apply some of these privacy settings for you, in which case you can't change them yourself. Learn about using a managed Chromebook.

thopkins22
01-30-19, 02:30
Watch your data. Now consider how big an audio file is. They’re downloading and analyzing two or three hundred million phone’s worth of audio and analyzing it? I don’t think so. And your phone is streaming pandora amounts of data 24/7? Nope.

Beyond the cost and difficulty, they don’t need to. They’ve mined every other thing about you for years. Every search, every purchase, every social media post. They have a remarkably accurate profile on you. Every time you click on something and every time you don’t.

So then they guess. And sometimes they’re wrong and we miss it. But what you never clicked on helps their profile of you too. And when they’re right, we assume that they are very specifically targeting us via some sort of spy deal. And they are targeting YOU. But no audio or video spyware needed...you’re an amazing unwitting double agent.

Honu
01-30-19, 03:52
if you have a android phone that might be why for sure they do this
the fact you use a firestick is a huge reason why and most likely where its coming from especially if its a newer one with the remote that has the mic !
depending if you have a smart tv another for sure

you going through netflix or hulu for your tv watching another reason why besides the firestick of course on top of it they all work together to track the heck out of you when you pause where you pause what you watch when you watch what profile is watching and so so much more

computer ? not so much I would think not saying no but very unlikely with so many other sources to get it from

the you did not click ? the fact you are using one you had to accept terms or you would not be using it :)

yeah its freaking intrusive for sure and scary quick instant these days

pretty easy to get some kinda packet sniffer to check outbound traffic

flenna
01-30-19, 06:07
I stopped using Google as a search engine a long time ago, I use Startpage.

Firefly
01-30-19, 06:26
I just hope Google loves Bailey Jay, AOC, Knights Armament, dark vast right wing conspiracies, feet, and retro games as much as I do

Arik
01-30-19, 06:35
Four or five years ago I let them install the box in my tv. It was based on sound. Also pretty sure it ruined my television...they had to disassemble the damn thing and patch into it between he speakers and the wires.

I thought I would single handedly improve what America was watching. Turns out all they learned was that I didn’t watch tv and occasionally played a game of madden or something.They came to my house too! No thanks! Not that I have anything to hide in my TV viewing I just feel weird knowing someone is purposefully monitoring what I'm doing. Like someone standing over my shoulder

AndyLate
01-30-19, 06:39
Google literally made its fortune selling people's browsing information to advertisers/retailers, and every product they produce allows them to gather more user data, from Web searches, youtube videos, calendar apps, location services, you name it.

A little research will turn up ways to reduce the information tracked and reported on an Android phone. I use DuckDuckGo as a browser and search tool.

Any "smart" device that connects to the Internet collects and reports user data. Any device that connects to the Internet is also vulnerable to attack.

I have decided that most people have a different view of personal security and privacy than I do.

Andy

Arik
01-30-19, 06:41
I just hope Google loves Bailey Jay, AOC, Knights Armament, dark vast right wing conspiracies, feet, and retro games as much as I doHad to look up Bailey Jay and AOC but when it comes to looking up something you posted I learned to go through DuckDuckGo! [emoji16]

Outlander Systems
01-30-19, 07:58
https://gizmodo.com/head-of-russian-orthodox-church-warns-big-data-will-ush-1831598967

Lnxgeek
01-30-19, 08:49
Here is an article on how hard it is to use a computer today without somehow using Google:

https://gizmodo.com/i-cut-google-out-of-my-life-it-screwed-up-everything-1830565500

It's long, but interesting.

223to45
01-30-19, 09:57
Have you tried turning your phone off, to see if it still pops up in your recommended list.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SW-Shooter
01-31-19, 04:09
O.K., here's the weird thing... after posting this two seperate video's have shown up 'Hunter Killer best fight scenes". I'm now wondering is google/youtube is using some sort of keylogger.

Arik
01-31-19, 06:26
Okay, I rented Hunter Killer tonight using on On Demand, .

O.K., here's the weird thing... after posting this two seperate video's have shown up 'Hunter Killer best fight scenes". I'm now wondering is google/youtube is using some sort of keylogger.

Maybe that's why?

Maybe it depends on your settings or how integrated your apps are? Maybe your internet provider does it for you? Smart TV? Just throwing ideas out there. I have a Motorola on Verizon. My cable is also Verizon but I don't have much apps. Waze GPS, one work related app, a none Google text app, Taptalk and my banking app. Even though my email is Gmail the only thing on there is either bill pay confirmations or order confirmations and sales from firearms related websites so Google doesn't advertise anything to me. Any possible privacy settings I have set to ON

The only thing I occasionally run into is when I talk about something a week later I may see it as a commercial in the middle of an news article I may be reading

Hmac
01-31-19, 06:48
No doubt the various online information managers have given us all reasons to be suspicious of their motives and methods.
We all have different thresholds for feeling the need to don our tinfoil beanies. For now, I’m going to file this thread under “interesting anecdotes”.

tgizzard
01-31-19, 08:14
Firefox + ghostery, YouTube black, duck duck go search engine, etc ...

I never see ads or shifty recommendations.

Problem solved on my end.

If you really want to hide online, try using Onion Tor browser.

There are ways to minimize the effects of all the backdoor spying / ad placements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

themonk
01-31-19, 08:50
You are getting these youtube results on a laptop or phone?

If on a phone, google search through the youtube app or your browser have to ask permission to use your microphone. If on a laptop are you using chrome? In both cases turn off you permissions to the microphone.

What year is your TV? A more likely scenario is you TV hardware or cable provider is selling your data.

You can say what you want about google but at least they dont sell your data outside alphabet. Unlike others who are selling it to other providers. I would recommend using AdBlock in conjunction with Ghostery to block unwanted tracking scripts on web pages.

BrigandTwoFour
01-31-19, 09:47
Everything in google is related. If you have a google account and use it across multiple services, you can bet they are keeping track of your interests. Google searches while logged in in chrome connect with YouTube searches and videos. Read google news? They know which news sources you prefer and what categories you tend to read.

On the other end, as someone who is in and out of Google analytics during the day for managing my site, I learn useful information. I can’t see you, or anything about you, but I do know the kinds of subjects people who come to my site are interested in. I see which other sites are sending me traffic, how long (on average) people stay on my site, and even averages of how far down the page people scroll. That stuff is pretty basic, but useful for improving content.

At the super high end, and I don’t participate in this because it costs money, a business is able to use knowledge to target ads. Again, they wouldn’t know you as an individual, but a business could absolutely tell google to put an ad in front of males between the ages of 27-35 at a certain income range, living in the US mid-west, who searched for wilderness first aid content in the last seven days.

I think folks ascribe a lot of nefarious intent when there really isn’t any. All businesses have to do this stuff because it’s a competitive market. Even email services are in on it. That newsletter you get from M4C occasionally? It’s reporting who opened it and how many times, what links you clicked on, and all kinds of other little metrics. The tools are there to help a business know and target its audience with more relevant content.

markm
01-31-19, 10:28
Been trying to find a new TV that's not smart!

I just run a non-smart TV and a digital antenna. Whatever it picks up are my options.

themonk
01-31-19, 10:31
I just run a non-smart TV and a digital antenna. Whatever it picks up are my options.

in most cases you can turn it off

TXBK
01-31-19, 12:38
The scary stuff is when it shows you stuff that you swore you only thought about.

I swear this has happened.

VARIABLE9
01-31-19, 12:47
https://theantimedia.com/google-10-times-data/

Google’s File on You Is 10 Times Bigger Than Facebook’s — Here’s How to View It

Arik
01-31-19, 13:00

Google’s File on You Is 10 Times Bigger Than Facebook’s — Here’s How to View ItI tried getting that data one time and all it was was a bunch of gibirish

223to45
02-01-19, 00:18
Apparently Apple was tired of it to.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/01/apple-shuts-down-googles-internal-ios-apps-just-like-facebook/

Yesterday, news broke that both Google and Facebook had built*data-sucking "research" apps*on Apple's enterprise

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AKDoug
02-01-19, 02:04

Google’s File on You Is 10 Times Bigger Than Facebook’s — Here’s How to View It

I trust that link about as much as I trust Zuckerface..

VARIABLE9
02-01-19, 03:50
Take from it or trust if it as you see fit, it was more about the general information than about the ‘deseatme’ link. Case in point the OP didn’t realize all these apps and providers and platforms intentionally work together. This article is from April 2018. There have been concerns with data collection and metadata for much longer than a year. This isn’t new.