PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable Gas Key......very Curious...

ty50
01-30-19, 00:15
What I'm working with is a 16" mid-length gas set up. My muzzle brake is pinned on and the gas block is non adj.
the gas port is .076. when i shoot suppressed, I eat too much gas, literally. So I decided to tame it down and found only one simple way to do this......

I bought an adjustable gas key from RCA. I bought only the key.
my question is will it work on any typical mil spec carrier......or should I have bought the whole BCG from RCA?

......I used my blow gun from my air compressor to sort of find a starting point for the adjustment screw.
I turned the adj. screw all the way in, blew air into gas key and got zero operation of the bolt. so to start I backed the adj screw out until I got bolt movement from the compressed air. I have not gone out to shoot yet but I figure I will start there.

When I get out to shoot, I'll do the whole load one round in the mag and see if the bolt locks back on empty....etc.
Am i going about this the right way?
FYI.......I dont want to alter the gun drastically or change the barrel in any way.

thanx

AKDoug
01-30-19, 00:33
Other than get a custom tuned gas port from Black River Tactical, you really don't have a choice. http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/customtune-gas-port/

Is your muzzle device pinned on a 16" because you live in a state that requires it?

Iraqgunz
01-30-19, 01:07
An LMT E-Carrier would probably help. I use it in several different SBR uppers and have tested it in 20" upper and a 16" Mid using good 5.56 ammo.

gaucho1
01-30-19, 21:02
I found these recently but have been unable to find any user reports.

https://www.usamade-ar15parts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_55&products_id=103

ty50
02-11-19, 21:51
Thank you for replies.
LMT seems the way to go as is BRT.

THANX

Boba Fett v2
02-12-19, 09:42
What I'm working with is a 16" mid-length gas set up. My muzzle brake is pinned on and the gas block is non adj.
the gas port is .076. when i shoot suppressed, I eat too much gas, literally. So I decided to tame it down and found only one simple way to do this......

my question is will it work on any typical mil spec carrier......or should I have bought the whole BCG from RCA?

......I used my blow gun from my air compressor to sort of find a starting point for the adjustment screw.
I turned the adj. screw all the way in, blew air into gas key and got zero operation of the bolt. so to start I backed the adj screw out until I got bolt movement from the compressed air. I have not gone out to shoot yet but I figure I will start there.

When I get out to shoot, I'll do the whole load one round in the mag and see if the bolt locks back on empty....etc.
FYI.......I dont want to alter the gun drastically or change the barrel in any way.

thanx

Not the same brand, but I'm running the Sun Devil ADIGS on my LMT MWS carrier. I think you'll be fine.

JerDerv
02-26-19, 19:34
I have an RCA adjustable gas key on an AIM Surplus lightweight bolt carrier and it works great. I like that i can drop the lightweight carrier into any 5.56 AR and it cycles as it should because its self regulating.

Kill By Number
02-26-19, 19:52
I was in a similiar situation with a LMT MWS .308 using a Silencerco Omega, overgassed to the point of having reliability issues with the can installed. I thought there was no way the RCA key could work but tried it out of desparation, and it works amazing. I had bought Slash's heavy buffer, heavier springs, etc and still had cycling issues when clean and oiled up. With the RCA adjustable carrier key tuned, I put all the stock parts back in and it runs great. I still can't wrap my mind totally on where the extra gas goes, but it was a life saver for me. We have a shop and started carrying the RCA keys and full carriers since then and haven't had any complaints. I installed the key on my factory LMT .308 carrier in my example.

Kill By Number
02-26-19, 19:54
Also though, I run the LMT enhanced carrier in my LMT MRP in .300 blackout and it is amazingly quieter and less gas than standard bolt since it stays closed longer when firing (longer dwell time).

GSMullins
02-27-19, 19:48

thanx

OP, you're on the right track. One round of your preferred load at a time, and adjust until ejection and lock-back are perfect; then test with lower power loads to confirm it still cycles. When I've moved the RCA key's bolt carrier to other builds, they usually come good with less than a turn of adjustment.