PDA

View Full Version : Stripped upper for long range shooting

tim808
01-30-19, 01:01
I searched through m4carbine and couldn’t find (or missed) any threads on stripped uppers for long range shooting.

My friend and I are considering building uppers for 6.5G or Valkyrie. We still have research to do on the barrel. We will be using our existing lowers with Larue triggers.

We are wondering if the stripped upper makes much of a difference in regards to accuracy. It seems like it doesn’t....and the $$ would be better spent on the barrel. (White Oak Armory seems to stock just regular uppers. Pew Pew did a review of 6.5G uppers and one upper shot a 1.56” group at 400 yards and it appeared to have a standard upper.)

Couple of uppers I’m considering:
Bcm - I used a one on a 5.56 build (for up to 400 yards). Very snug fit for the barrel.
Vltor Mur - thicker walls. (Probably the one without the FA - makes it more rigid/stiffer). Used by Eurodriver and endorsed by Pappabear
Aero m4e1 - not sure if they are different to increase accuracy....or just for looks.

Based on accuracy results from pew pew in which it seems only mil spec uppers were used, I’m leaning to a mil spec bcm stripped upper. (I’m a little biased since I have 2 of their assembled uppers besides the stripped upper used in a build)

Thank you in advance for your advice/help/guidance!

FightinQ
01-30-19, 01:20
Faxon has a lapped upper. Meaning it's already been done for you. Concentrate on the barrel, trigger, glass, and mount as the rest is fluff really, although a good stock with a very good cheek weld does help.

Onyx Z
01-30-19, 09:24
I have used both Vltor MUR and BCM (blem) upper receivers on log-range precision builds and have noticed no difference between the two. Although the Vltor MUR seems to provide some extra peace of mind.

Stickman
01-30-19, 11:55
If you are serious, and want to get into the details more so than just being a “good shooting rifle”, go ahead and lap the receiver.

Biggy
01-30-19, 12:15
BCM’s new strengthened upper receiver should be out sometime in the next 90 days, if you are not in a big hurry. Hodge Defense also has a strengthened forged upper receiver that has a slightly undersize bore for the barrel extension.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YHc5gfl1NZ8

sveesix
01-30-19, 13:34
BCM’s new strengthened upper receiver should be out sometime in the next 90 days, if you are in no big hurry. Hodge Defense also has a strengthened forged upper receiver that has a slightly undersize bore for the barrel extension.

Details and pics?

rjacobs
01-30-19, 14:09
im running a Vltor MUR without the FA on my precision 5.56 gun.

When I built it 4 or 5 years ago, there was really nothing else on the market. I think now there are a few other options.

tim808
01-30-19, 21:49
Everyone -
Thank you for your guidance!! My friend is getting the faxon upper and I’ll wait for the bcm upper
Thanks again!

sidewaysil80
01-31-19, 04:14
If you want accuracy you need a monolithic or something where the rail mounts to upper (ie seekins or aero). They alleviate all external force on the barrel nut and truly free float the barrel.

tim808
02-01-19, 00:47
Monolithic - Ok....more reading to do

Thank you sir! I’ve heard of them but don’t recall ever seeing any discussion on them

Kind of leery of using uncommon/proprietary parts tho.