PDA

View Full Version : M4 Handguard Question

Doc Safari
01-30-19, 14:37
As a history buff I'm interested in how the M4 has developed over the years.

I keep seeing photos from the Sandbox showing M4's with the thinner profile handguards (i.e. not the fatter genuine M4 handguards), and no rails or accessories.

Was there a time when the M4 was issued with the thinner profile handguards?

(BTW: The pics I'm talking about show mostly the M4 with the carry handle sight, so I'm assuming these might be right out of the box before accessorizing?)

Esq.
01-30-19, 15:22
As a history buff I'm interested in how the M4 has developed over the years.

I keep seeing photos from the Sandbox showing M4's with the thinner profile handguards (i.e. not the fatter genuine M4 handguards), and no rails or accessories.

Was there a time when the M4 was issued with the thinner profile handguards?

(BTW: The pics I'm talking about show mostly the M4 with the carry handle sight, so I'm assuming these might be right out of the box before accessorizing?)

Don't know this for a fact, never in the Service etc....But, I would suspect that originally the handguards only had a single heat shield in them like the M16 and as part of the evolution of the platform Double Heat shields were later added- adding to the increased bulk.

Doc Safari
01-30-19, 15:23
EDITED TO ADD: I'm noticing some of the M4's with the thinner profile handguards "may" be those in use by security contractors. It's hard to say on some pics because they are not captioned really well.

Renegade04
01-30-19, 16:03
I am not aware of any M4 produced with the thinner CAR handguards. The fatter M4 type handguards have been used since the XM4 (predecessor of the M4). The last time that I know of when the thinner CAR handguards were last used was on the Model 727 (predecessor of the XM4).

jsbhike
01-30-19, 16:23
727 thread

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?149678-Colt-727-questions