PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Turkish 9mm hits the market...

Slater
01-30-19, 20:07
Wonder if this is a warmed over Walther, HK, Glock, or something else?

https://www.stoegerindustries.com/str-9

Uni-Vibe
01-30-19, 22:01
Reminds me of a VP9 at first glance.

ramairthree
01-31-19, 01:54
I was going to say,
Which model is this a copy of?

Can’t believe how good your 300 dollar Canik or whatever is?

Imagine if you just had to copy somebody’s successful model with no delopment costs.

Coal Dragger
01-31-19, 02:12
I won’t buy a Turkish made firearm just on principle. The Turks are not our friends.

TexHill
01-31-19, 06:38
Stoeger is a division of Benelli and is owned by Beretta. They make a good product.

prdubi
01-31-19, 07:22
Nice

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Esq.
01-31-19, 07:43
I won’t buy a Turkish made firearm just on principle. The Turks are not our friends.

Neither are the Chinese but I'm betting the keyboard you tapped that out on was made in China....so...? How much of the gas you put in your car comes from Venezuelan, Saudi (You know, the guys who flew planes into the World Trade Center) or Russian crude? Your IPhone or Samsung is made where?

In the grand scheme of things.....the Turks are pretty innocuous enemies...

Now, don't take that wrong, you're right, the Turks are not are friends....but neither are a hell of a lot of people that we trade with and whose products and services we buy and consume every day. If I wanted to buy a new pistol and they were making something I thought had the features I wanted at a good price, I would buy it.

sundance435
01-31-19, 10:46
Neither are the Chinese but I'm betting the keyboard you tapped that out on was made in China....so...? How much of the gas you put in your car comes from Venezuelan, Saudi (You know, the guys who flew planes into the World Trade Center) or Russian crude? Your IPhone or Samsung is made where?

Now, don't take that wrong, you're right, the Turks are not are friends....but neither are a hell of a lot of people that we trade with and whose products and services we buy and consume every day. If I wanted to buy a new pistol and they were making something I thought had the features I wanted at a good price, I would buy it.

Well, I purposely won't stop at a Citgo station because of its ties to Venezuela. Everything else you mentioned is more of a necessity, with fewer alternatives, than buying a Turkish pistol. I will admit, though, that most of the Turkish copies of guns are pretty decent, if I had to own one for whatever reason.

dwhitehorne
01-31-19, 11:23
The slide reminds me of the Smith and Wesson SD9. David

Coal Dragger
01-31-19, 15:02

For products that I cannot avoid buying from shit heel countries I grudgingly do so when there is no alternative.

When there is a viable alternative though, I take it.

Firefly
01-31-19, 15:51
I would sooner carry a Hi Point in zebra stripe with “hoodrat” engraved before I would own a Turkish gun

joffe
01-31-19, 15:51

Agreed. These people are genocidal maniacs that have actively given aid and comfort to both al-Qaeda and ISIS in Syria.

You'd be wrong, my keyboard is made in Kentucky.

I try to buy from friendly countries whenever I can. Some things you have to get from China, but surprisingly there are alternatives in most areas.

One thing is for sure, there is no need to ever buy a Turkish firearm. Not even if you want a 300 dollar Glock copy.

Coal Dragger
01-31-19, 16:11
Agreed. These people are genocidal maniacs that have actively given aid and comfort to both al-Qaeda and ISIS in Syria.

I try to buy from friendly countries whenever I can. Some things you have to get from China, but surprisingly there are alternatives in most areas.

One thing is for sure, there is no need to ever buy a Turkish firearm. Not even if you want a 300 dollar Glock copy.

Yeah I’m sure Turkish made pistols will he really good for shooting Armenian and Kurd civilians in the back of the head. Should the Turks be feeling generous and letting them off easy by simply executing them.

Slater
01-31-19, 20:36
Politics aside, the Turkish handguns seem to be gaining a loyal following.

GNXII
02-01-19, 11:48
Valid political issues aside, my question is "why"? The polymer striker fired pistol market is saturated as it stands now with a myrid of quality choices, both new and used. What great big market do the Turks think there going to capture here in the US? And then what happens when the Turks, the importers and or distrubutors decide to abandon that product line? Your going to be SOL for mags, repairs or warranty issues. Even long time, established in US firearm manufacturers, ditch product lines i.e. S&W 3rd Gen metal framedguns, so not unheard of. Granted more choice is always good and the pricepoint keeps them popular but I dont think the long term prospects are good. Hell, I remember the days of going to gun shows and seeing cheap Chinese AKs and SKSs.Gone now... Recently, the flood of Russian 5.45 ammo also, still there but nowhere as cheap as it was and never mind the AK market.

Slater
02-01-19, 12:29
I think they've already captured a chunk of the entry level/budget market. From overall feedback, it seems their pistols are reasonably reliable and accurate and priced competitively. Probably great for people just looking for a nightstand gun or the guy who shoots a box or two of ammo every other month or so.

jsbhike
02-01-19, 14:17

We can hope, but after working at a place in Kentucky that would take Chinese parts out of Chinese packaging and stick them in made in USA packs I don't always count on it.

And so no one has to just take my word on such scams:

https://taskandpurpose.com/wellco-execs-military-boots-china

Outlander Systems
02-01-19, 18:45
https://www.shitpostbot.com/resize/585/400?img=%2Fimg%2Fsourceimages%2Fturkish-embassy-58bd964b2b900.png

Arik
02-01-19, 19:35
Valid political issues aside, my question is "why"? The polymer striker fired pistol market is saturated as it stands now with a myrid of quality choices, both new and used. What great big market do the Turks think there going to capture here in the US? And then what happens when the Turks, the importers and or distrubutors decide to abandon that product line? Your going to be SOL for mags, repairs or warranty issues. Even long time, established in US firearm manufacturers, ditch product lines i.e. S&W 3rd Gen metal framedguns, so not unheard of. Granted more choice is always good and the pricepoint keeps them popular but I dont think the long term prospects are good. Hell, I remember the days of going to gun shows and seeing cheap Chinese AKs and SKSs.Gone now... Recently, the flood of Russian 5.45 ammo also, still there but nowhere as cheap as it was and never mind the AK market.You're not thinking like a casual get n owner.
- Cheaper then a Glock
- mags that come with it are enough
- will be shot every once in a while so unless there is a manufacturing defect that presents itself right away no one is going to wear anything out or need a warranty.

GNXII
02-01-19, 22:37
You're not thinking like a casual get n owner.
- Cheaper then a Glock
- will be shot every once in a while so unless there is a manufacturing defect that presents itself right away no one is going to wear anything out or need a warranty.

Your correct in that Im not thinking along those lines at all. One would think that being an educated consumer on anything one spends there hardearned cash for would allow for some in depth research. Information galore on firearms but then again some horses dont drink if led to water or even if there thirsty...

Arik
02-01-19, 23:37
Your correct in that Im not thinking along those lines at all. One would think that being an educated consumer on anything one spends there hardearned cash for would allow for some in depth research. Information galore on firearms but then again some horses dont drink if led to water or even if there thirsty...Not as easy as it sounds. Pick a make/model and do some research. 99.9% of all reviews are "had it for 20 years, goes bang every time". It's page after page after page of reviews like that. No mention of anything. As if ownership equals use. When I looked up stuff I never found this place or places like this. The only way I got here was through another member on a different board

The only bad reviews are either when the gun is actually a complete junk or when it's guns people love to hate, like Glock! Go on a 1911 web site and mention Glock! [emoji849][emoji43]

Ron3
02-02-19, 09:19
You're not thinking like a casual get n owner.
- Cheaper then a Glock

Absolutely. I used to work at a place that sold guns and it was a learning experience.

Many people buy a pistol based on, in order:

Price
Size
Aesthetics
How it feels in hand
Capacity

Caliber was a wild card. For some it was after price, for others it didn't matter.

As for ammo, (after acknowledging they had none) many would buy a box, often hollow points. (Or enough to fill the mag or two it came with) If I suggested another box for them to practice with and make sure the gun works, (I got no commission) they'd say, "why? Why wouldn't it work? It's new, right?"

For many people its simply:

I have this much money (or am only going to spend) and can afford this.
It looks and feels good
It fits in my pocket
It shoots bullets

The end.

Slater
02-02-19, 09:30
Doing a casual Internet search, the Turkish guns seem to be doing well in the durability department, with 10,000 rounds and above reported by various shooters. I believe there was also a 20,000 round torture test.

It's a little early to expect Glock/H&K durability and reliability but overall they're not too bad.

For some, the political angle is the deciding factor, and I can understand that.

HKGuns
02-02-19, 10:29
Screw the Turks, they can keep every piece of junk they produce.

Arik
02-03-19, 07:23
Your correct in that Im not thinking along those lines at all. One would think that being an educated consumer on anything one spends there hardearned cash for would allow for some in depth research. Information galore on firearms but then again some horses dont drink if led to water or even if there thirsty...
Not as easy as it sounds. Pick a make/model and do some research. 99.9% of all reviews are "had it for 20 years, goes bang every time". It's page after page after page of reviews like that. No mention of anything. As if ownership equals use. When I looked up stuff I never found this place or places like this. The only way I got here was through another member on a different board

The only bad reviews are either when the gun is actually a complete junk or when it's guns people love to hate, like Glock! Go on a 1911 web site and mention Glock! [emoji849][emoji43]Here's a perfect example of what I was talking about.

Yesterday, on another board I got called a troll because i disagreed with the OP about his gun. He bought a Remington R51, shot 35 rounds, had 2 failures and called it good enough for carry! Because I disagreed I was a troll and others jumped in about how their R51s are shot all the time and reliable.

So for someone doing a search of Remington R51 will find good reviews of 35 rounds and "shot all the time" as if thats some kind of a standard

joffe
02-03-19, 12:14
Here's a perfect example of what I was talking about.

Yesterday, on another board I got called a troll because i disagreed with the OP about his gun. He bought a Remington R51, shot 35 rounds, had 2 failures and called it good enough for carry! Because I disagreed I was a troll and others jumped in about how their R51s are shot all the time and reliable.

So for someone doing a search of Remington R51 will find good reviews of 35 rounds and "shot all the time" as if thats some kind of a standard

These are exactly the kind of low-expectation boards that I decided to check out of on a permanent basis several years ago. It's not worth wasting your time with people like that.

Slater
02-03-19, 12:33
It's kind of a sad commentary on Remington when a $350 Turkish gun is more reliable.

GNXII
02-03-19, 13:12

I see your point & have experienced the same condemnations on other boards and even in person. There are some good places that provide valuable info such as here & others. It is tough to separate the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

GNXII
02-03-19, 13:13
It's kind of a sad commentary on Remington when a $350 Turkish gun is more reliable.

Amen to that...

TexHill
02-03-19, 14:14
Screw the Turks, they can keep every piece of junk they produce.

Except the Turks aren't making junk. They are producing quality firearms that are just as good or better than guns made in this country. Several major brands include Turkish made guns in their product lines. I doubt they would do that if the Turkish made guns were junk.

The Turkish government and Turkish businesses aren't necessarily one and the same. For example, would it be fair to judge BCM for a decision or act committed by our government?

HKGuns
02-03-19, 17:28
Except the Turks aren't making junk. They are producing quality firearms that are just as good or better than guns made in this country. Several major brands include Turkish made guns in their product lines. I doubt they would do that if the Turkish made guns were junk.

The Turkish government and Turkish businesses aren't necessarily one and the same. For example, would it be fair to judge BCM for a decision or act committed by our government?

I’m not going to argue with you, as you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Turkish shotguns are renown for being garbage. This isn’t the only example. MKE is decent but over rated because HK can’t export the real stuff.

Ron3
02-03-19, 22:12

Just last month I was at the range with a guy who had a brand new Rock Island full size 1911. (Metro I think it was called) He fired three magazines through it. Had two malfunctions. I fired a magazine through it. Had the hammer drop on a live round. No bang. Checked the round. No primer hit at all! Finished magazine. Trigger was kinda heavy. Bleh.

A few minutes later his buddy called and asked him how the the RIA 1911 was doing. My buddy tells him, "It shoots great man, it's a keeper!"

I throw up in my mouth a little and don't say anything. What can you say?

bobbytucson
02-06-19, 21:57
5 year warranty.... shows they have alot of confidence in their product. and that is absolutely a glock trigger

sundance435
02-07-19, 11:59

Not an accurate comparison. The Turkish government exerts far more control in its defense sector (and economy in general), with many companies being partially or fully owned by the government, including small arms. I would guess that many of these handguns are made by subsidiaries of state-run or partially owned companies.

thegreyman
02-08-19, 06:04
What do the Greeks use?

sundance435
02-08-19, 10:08
What do the Greeks use?

Probably anything but a Turkish gun. Wiki says licensed USP.