PDA

View Full Version : Century ARs, anyone know anything about them?

cathellsk
11-05-08, 19:07
http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=RI965%2DX

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=55128

They say its a HB but I've seen two and they were not. No barrel markings either. The BCG is factory Colt FA but its been hacked on to make it a semi BCG, left "in the white", and not a particular good job either.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-05-08, 19:52
if it says Century, that's all you really need to know. CIA is crap.

you could do a Del-Ton build with a chrome lined wilson bbl & flat top upper and still come out $100 ahead of the CIA. or you could spend an extra three bills and get a service grade weapon.

honestly, i've never seen one of these Century ARs, but if everything else they've ever sold is any indication, i would RUN in the other direction as fast as possible and not look back.

i've never seen Century rifle that was put together well, or even remotely exhibited what one could call value. "rough" doesn't even begin to describe the build quality of CIA products.

at least the WASR-10s can be had for $325. that's as cheap as AKs come. if its just a trunk gun or a beater, that's fine, i can see that it has a place (although a Saiga x39 conversion might make more sense)...but this AR is $700....its just not worth it. you can do better for the money and you can do MUCH better if you spend a little more

m4fun
11-05-08, 20:09
Friends dont let friends buy Century - they can even F'up and AK! I returned an early Polish Tantal AK74 that did nothing but keyhole shots at 25m. they used a 5.56 barrel with a 1/9 twist - wtf?

cathellsk
11-05-08, 21:07
I hear ya, just wondering if they were any different than the AKs from CIA.
This morning they were still $599. Buds must be jumping on the President Obama bandwagon and jacking their prices up.

nsabjg
11-05-08, 21:21
I have seen a Century AR I would say they are worth about $350 IMHO.

Robb Jensen
11-05-08, 21:23
I repaired one for a customer. He had his trigger pin walking out while firing. I inspected it and noticed that it had a semi-auto trigger group but a M16A2 burst hammer spring. This allowed the pin to walk. The pin was crap too. I gave the guy a new pin and a new AR15/M16 standard hammer spring and installed them.

Parabellum9x19mm
11-05-08, 21:24
it's not worth $600 either.

the nicest looking Century i saw was a friend's Galil clone. at first blush, compared to the CIA romanian AKs or Brazilian FALs the Galil looked much nicer, as far as exterior finish and furniture was concerned

but you can't always judge a book by its cover. the hammer spring snapped on the very first range outing :confused:

if you really are worried about breaking the bank you could go with a $100 stripped lower and build a kit based on this>> http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt100.htm

or, if you want a duty quality weapon without dropping a ton of money all in one go, you could buy a complete LMT lower one month and a LMT complete upper the next month

whatever you do, pass on the Century. no, i haven't handled a Century AR, but their reputation precedes them. its not worth the risk. if there is a problem with the weapon i would not trust them to fix it for me.

Shihan
11-05-08, 22:03
Some of the parts on the CIA guns are used when installed on the CIA guns.

cathellsk
11-06-08, 00:37
Thanks guys. I was contemplating getting one, if they were halfway decent, as I'd like to have a basic A2 Govn't Model but I'll stick with my original plan and get a LMT to complement my 6920.