PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon Hootenanny

soulezoo
02-01-19, 18:37
Hi gentlemen,
Today is a good day. Got my BTAC shipment and a bottle of Blanton's for good measure. My liver just burped.

Let's keep this thread on the nice-nice please.
What are we enjoying this weekend?

soulezoo
02-01-19, 18:38
Why, oh why can't my pictures ever post straight?

ABNAK
02-01-19, 19:03
I spy the bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle in your pic. :cool: I bought a bottle of the 10-year stuff back in November, it was $60+ (the 15-year was ~ $120+ and the 20-year was $200). Great sippin' whiskey....."snifter" glass, some ice, just a c-hair of water, and let sit for a few minutes. Smooth as silk! Since it's mostly seasonal I probably won't get another crack at it until the fall.

On the recommendation of the liquor store owner (who had reserved me the bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle) I have since bought Crown Royal Black. He told me that dollar-for-dollar it was the best whiskey/bourbon he kept in stock. For $36 it's pretty damn good.

gunnerblue
02-01-19, 19:10
Dry Fly Straight Wheat Whisky aged three years and finished in port barrels. The port barrel finish variety is a new small batch from this distiller. Dry Fly is a small distillery out of Spokane, WA and makes the best tasting bourbon I’ve found here in the PNW.

dmaxfireman
02-01-19, 19:10
I wish I could find BTAC stuff. I would love to get my hands on some WLW

SeriousStudent
02-01-19, 19:17
"The liver is evil, and must be punished."

I have a shirt that says that...... ;)

FlyingHunter
02-01-19, 19:31
Enjoy in good health.
A few of my favorites of late:

Hibiki Suntory Harmony
Dalmore 18
Monkey Shoulder

seb5
02-01-19, 19:48
I really like Redbreast Irish. For Bourbons by price point Bulleit or Wellers, Basil Hayden, and Bookers. Right now I'm sipping Four Roses single barrel.

Campbell
02-01-19, 20:18
Wellers is good stuff, Evan Williams Bonded is my favorite, and such a bargain.

soulezoo
02-01-19, 21:15
I have a hard time finding Wellers antique and regular Wellers. I like both.

tb-av
02-01-19, 21:38
I have since bought Crown Royal Black.

I was told and feel the same way about Elijah Craig. About the same price. The barrel proof is even better but more expensive. I'll have to check out the CR Black.

soulezoo
02-01-19, 21:41

I like it! Consider my liver punished!

soulezoo
02-01-19, 21:43
I was told and feel the same way about Elijah Craig. About the same price. The barrel proof is even better but more expensive. I'll have to check out the CR Black.
Elijah is my everyday drinker now along with Knob Creek single barrel. Elijah is underrated

gunnerblue
02-01-19, 21:50
Elijah is my everyday drinker now along with Knob Creek single barrel. Elijah is underrated

Agreed

tb-av
02-01-19, 21:53
So how do you guys preserve opened whisky? Let's say you open a bottle that you only want to drink on a couple special occasions. What if you wanted a glass of something really special only once a year?

Also on a side note Makers Mark? Everyone seems to like it but it seems kinda edgy to me. Every time I've tired it, I haven't liked it.

MegademiC
02-01-19, 22:20
So how do you guys preserve opened whisky? Let's say you open a bottle that you only want to drink on a couple special occasions. What if you wanted a glass of something really special only once a year?

Also on a side note Makers Mark? Everyone seems to like it but it seems kinda edgy to me. Every time I've tired it, I haven't liked it.

Nothing lasts that long here, sorry.

As for makers, I think its overpriced. I like eagle rare for $30 or woodford for $40 as daily drinkers. I havent tried them all, but Ive hit all the common ones.

OP- nice collection. I know you said bourbon, but is rye welcome to join? Its been a long week, so had a few beers and capping it with some pistle whig. ;)

I’ve not had the pleasure to try rip, but gearge T stagg is outstanding.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3et7ucxdj1fxcg/Photo%20Jan%2024%2C%207%2051%2005%20PM.jpg?raw=1

soulezoo
02-01-19, 22:20
Generally speaking, properly sealed hard liquor won't oxidize over time. Except for tequila which will start to deteriorate after opening. Keep it refrigerated if not drinking it in a month or so.
Makers Mark has a following. It's not bad but not great either. Bottom line is you don't like it, try something else. You like what you like
Nothing else really matters.

soulezoo
02-01-19, 22:23
Rye, Tennessee whiskey, Canadian, Irish, Scotch, Japanese hell even good good sipping Rum are welcome...

gunnerblue
02-01-19, 22:31

I’ve had opened whiskey stored for 1-2 years in their original bottles with no negative effects. A cool, dark place is probably best though I know of some who keep theirs in the freezer.

Maker’s is okay, I think that the 46 is definitely overpriced.

gunnerblue
02-01-19, 22:33
Rye, Tennessee whiskey, Canadian, Irish, Scotch, Japanese hell even good good sipping Rum are welcome...

I’ve yet to try Whistlepig, but really enjoy Woodford and Knob Creek Rye’s.

Ardbeg is quickly becoming my new favorite Islay Scotch

tb-av
02-01-19, 23:00
Well if rum counts I would put a vote in for Appleton Estate Rare Blend 12 year. It's under $35 and a really nice rum. I'm still convinced that the bottles we bought in Jamaica were better / smoother but it's still good. Aside from the much more expensive stuff I've tried a lot of the rums and it's pretty much as good if not better.

The Devil's Backbone Brewery here in the mountains of VA has put out a Blackstrap Rum. I need to try that. It's the same price as Appleton. Be nice to see how they compare.

soulezoo
02-01-19, 23:15
I have a confession... I didn't open any of the bottles in the picture. I had some Blanton's that was already opened, followed by a wee dram of eagle rare. Had some Ron Zacapa XO and finished with Pierre Ferrand cognac with a Cohiba.

dmaxfireman
02-02-19, 07:44
I have a confession... I didn't open any of the bottles in the picture. I had some Blanton's that was already opened, followed by a wee dram of eagle rare. Had some Ron Zacapa XO and finished with Pierre Ferrand cognac with a Cohiba.

Did you win the BTAC in a raffle?

Hmac
02-02-19, 10:28
I'm a scotch drinker, pretty much any of the speyside single malts, but my preference over the years has been the Macallan 18. Glenmorangie 18 runs an economical close second, although I recently re-discovered the Aberlour. I'll drink the Macallan preferentially with company at home, but what I order on the road depends entirely on who's buying the round.

I've never been a bourbon fan, but my wife and I took a nice tour of the Green Brier distillery in Nashville recently. Interesting story (https://greenbrierdistillery.com/nelsonsgreenbrierhistory/) behind this craft distillery, a newly-resurrected version of the distillery that was the very foundation of Tennessee bourbons (Green Brier is/was Distillery No. 5...as opposed to Jack Daniels which is Distillery No. 7), but the upshot is that one of their current Tennessee bourbons is from a recipe way back in their history when they made whiskey for the Belle Meade plantation (https://bellemeadeplantation.com/history/). Today, Green Brier's Belle Meade bourbon, especially the Cognac cask, is some of the smoothest and best bourbon I've had. If you're a bourbon drinker, this is the stuff to try. If you're rye-sensitive (for some people, high-rye content can make a whiskey taste harsh), the Sherry cask is an exceptional alternative.

http://ssequine.net/bellemeade.jpg

http://ssequine.net/greenbrier still2.jpg

I would add that, if you're an aperitif fan, their Louisa's coffee-caramel-pecan liqueur is pretty remarkable and I just moved all the Bailey's to the back of the cabinet. Louisa Nelson was the wife of the founder of the distillery who took over the distillery when he died. She had the distinction of being the only female CEO of a big company back then, not to mention a whiskey company. She was smart enough to completely get out of the whiskey business just in advance of Tennessee prohibition in 1909. The family's roots in the whiskey business became only family rumor until a couple of college kids, great-great-great-great grandsons of the progenitor, accidentally re-discovered those roots at a historical marker adjacent to a Nashville highway 5 or 6 years ago and decided to re-activate their long-dormant distiller's certificate (No. 5).

http://ssequine.net/louisas.jpg

I don't usually drink whiskey neat...the only time I do is if a given bar/restaurant only has ordinary ice cubes (I try not to eat out in places like that :no:). Otherwise, a single, clear, 2.5 inch spherical ice ball is my preference. I'd accept a clear 2.5 inch cube in a pinch. I make the clear spheres that way at home, two at a time, using a standard directional-freezing apparatus ($39 on Amazon) (https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Clear-Ice-Ball-Maker/dp/B0713SZD2Y/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1549134851&sr=1-4&keywords=clear+ice+ball).

http://ssequine.net/iceball.jpg

26 Inf
02-02-19, 14:31
I have since bought Crown Royal Black. He told me that dollar-for-dollar it was the best whiskey/bourbon he kept in stock. For $36 it's pretty damn good.

I'm not anything beyond a rare occasion social drinker, except I drink a shot most nights before bed. The Black is what I found I liked.

26 Inf
02-02-19, 14:44
I've never been a bourbon fan, but my wife and I took a nice tour of the Green Brier distillery in Nashville recently. Interesting story (https://greenbrierdistillery.com/nelsonsgreenbrierhistory/) behind this craft distillery, a newly-resurrected version of the distillery that was the very foundation of Tennessee bourbons (Green Brier is/was Distillery No. 5...as opposed to Jack Daniels which is Distillery No. 7), but the upshot is that one of their current Tennessee bourbons is from a recipe way back in their history when they made whiskey for the Belle Meade plantation (https://bellemeadeplantation.com/history/). Today, Green Brier's Belle Meade bourbon, especially the Cognac cask, is some of the smoothest and best bourbon I've had. If you're a bourbon drinker, this is the stuff to try. If you're rye-sensitive (for some people, high-rye content can make a whiskey taste harsh), the Sherry cask is an exceptional alternative.

Great post, interesting story, spherical ice cube tray (for tea) inbound. You and Amazon Prime are conspiring against me. :)

docsherm
02-02-19, 15:43

The liver is weak... That is why I replaced mine with a pool filter...... :jester:

chuckman
02-02-19, 15:56
I used to hate whiskey and bourbon, then one day I had a glass of the good stuff, and have loved it ever since. Like tequila, there's a huge difference between the crap and the good stuff.

Hmac
02-02-19, 16:08
Great post, interesting story, spherical ice cube tray (for tea) inbound. You and Amazon Prime are conspiring against me. :)

I pop the spheres out after about 28 hours and refill using filtered water from my refrigerator. I store several of them in a couple of storage tubes (https://www.wintersmiths.com/products/ice-storage-tube). The tubes work a little better than the ziploc bags I used before.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0283/5184/products/storagetube4_1512x.png?v=1529954033

CGSteve
02-02-19, 19:30
1792 currently is my favorite bourbon.

tb-av
02-02-19, 20:04
2.5 inch spherical ice ball is my preference.

I bought a bottle of I think Eligah Craig maybe a year ago that had this black ball and a glass. It's a two piece sphere with a flat bottom. That thing is great. I use it every day. Pop it in the glass, refill, it's ready the next day. I never thought about trying to make a few and storing them. They are absolutely perfect though unless you are trying to make some sort of shaken over ice mixed drink.

MegademiC
02-02-19, 20:41
I’ve yet to try Whistlepig, but really enjoy Woodford and Knob Creek Rye’s.

Ardbeg is quickly becoming my new favorite Islay Scotch

Ardbeg is nice.
I was underwhelmed with woodfords rye(love their bourbon), i like knob creek for the price, but the whistle pig is a completely different arena. Highly suggested. Worth the price for a nice occassion or night-cap.

tb-av
02-02-19, 22:33
I tried some Knob creek Rye tonight that I bought last week. although a bit more $$ I really like the Basil Haydens dark Rye blend... Someone here in another thread recommended it last year or so. Kentucky and Canada Rye plus some Port .. .man that stuff is good.

Never tried it but it sounds like it must be worth the $$$

WhistlePig 10-year whiskey is a 100-proof, straight rye whiskey, matured for at least ten years through a unique double-barrel aging process. The 10-year released in the summer of 2010 to great critical acclaim, earning 96 points from Wine Enthusiast, their highest rating ever for a rye whiskey, a "highest recommendation" from Spirits Journal, as well as accolades from the Wall Street Journal, GQ, Forbes, Imbibe Magazine and many others. WhistlePig's objective is to prove that American rye can be every bit as good, if not better, than its bourbon and scotch counterparts.

26 Inf
02-02-19, 22:59
I pop the spheres out after about 28 hours and refill using filtered water from my refrigerator. I store several of them in a couple of storage tubes (https://www.wintersmiths.com/products/ice-storage-tube). The tubes work a little better than the ziploc bags I used before.

I make little 'round' ice balls in this: https://www.geticegenie.com/IGAPG/9.0000/Index.dtm?mid=9708557&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3pyI_-Ke4AIVCYZpCh1ARQ1HEAAYASAAEgLrpPD_BwE&otsid=15765

It kind of works, so I'm looking forward to making legit spheres that last longer.

SeriousStudent
02-03-19, 19:06
The liver is weak... That is why I replaced mine with a pool filter...... :jester:

I have a bunch of artificial organs. A little old lady at church once told me I had a heart of gold.

So I sold it when gold hit $1200 an ounce.

soulezoo
02-03-19, 20:49
That's funny right there

officerX
02-03-19, 22:27
I had a glass of Woodford Reserve tonight.

My iPhone XS Max is better than your android!

tb-av
02-03-19, 22:36
I had a glass of Woodford Reserve tonight.

My iPhone XS Max is better than your android!

I had a glass of Knob Creek Rye with a mix of OakBarrel Spiced Rum ( which I do not recommend ) over a cue ball of ice. That Rum is nothing to write home about. I did a 75/25 and it was actually pretty good when the ice was about 50%.

I know... I can see the eyes rolling now. Hey you gotta live your own life.

tb-av
02-03-19, 22:58
Today, Green Brier's Belle Meade bourbon, especially the Cognac cask, is some of the smoothest and best bourbon I've had.

No bueno in VA. I can't find it in the catalog. They must keep it close. I am convinced the beer and Rum I used or drink in Jamaica is not what we get here but I have no way to support it. Appleton, Red Stripr, Guinness, and a Scotch ale... maybe it was McEwans... None tasted the same there as here. Probably psychological to some extent but I have always wondered if there are 'in country' and 'export' versions of all this stuff. I know for a fact that cigarettes are because I used to make them but that's a different process. Always wondered about whisky and beer.

SeriousStudent
02-03-19, 23:06
If you are looking for some good rum, try and track down some Foursquare from Barbados. Richard Seale is making superb stuff, using the old fashioned methods and ingredients.

I managed to snag a case of his 2005 Exceptional Cask Selection, that was aged in ex-Bourbon barrels. It's phenomenal, and was released in October 2017. He also did a release that is not aged as long called Promise, I think it's 12 years old. It is very, very nice as well.

Both are perfect for sipping with a cigar. I was at a friends house last night, and we all sat around the firepit with some truly fine Rum, Brandy and Single Malt. It was really tough picking with one paired the best, all were great.

The smokes were Drew Estate Liga Privada T52's and Fuente Hemingway Short Stories. Very different cigars, but all three liquors went down exceedingly well.

I'll have to post some pics for reference. The Brandy was American, but as good as any French Brandy or Amagnac I have had.

tb-av
02-03-19, 23:40
If you are looking for some good rum, try and track down some Foursquare from Barbados. Richard Seale is making superb stuff, using the old fashioned methods and ingredients.

I managed to snag a case of his 2005 Exceptional Cask Selection, that was aged in ex-Bourbon barrels. It's phenomenal, and was released in October 2017. He also did a release that is not aged as long called Promise, I think it's 12 years old. It is very, very nice as well.

Both are perfect for sipping with a cigar. I was at a friends house last night, and we all sat around the firepit with some truly fine Rum, Brandy and Single Malt. It was really tough picking with one paired the best, all were great.

The smokes were Drew Estate Liga Privada T52's and Fuente Hemingway Short Stories. Very different cigars, but all three liquors went down exceedingly well.

I'll have to post some pics for reference. The Brandy was American, but as good as any French Brandy or Amagnac I have had.

Thanks, never heard of any of that except that Fuente Churchill. That used to be my cigar. 2 Guinness and a Fuente. I've always been partial to Rum for some reason. I used to love Laphroaig scotch but what was $35 is now $70. That's why I was asking about opening and keeping.

Watrdawg
02-04-19, 07:07
My buddy went on a Bourbon tour around Louisville this past December and brought me a bottle of W. L. Weller Antique. Very nice! I've been trying to get a bottle of Pappy's for years now and I've read that the Weller 12yr is considered a poor man's Pappy. I asked him to pick me up a bottle of that also if he could find it there. I got lucky and he did. We have since sampled about half of each. I don't know which one I like best but they both are very very nice. The 12yr is smoother than the Antique but they both are great in their own way. They are 1 and 2 on my list so far of favorites.

seb5
02-04-19, 18:17
My buddy went on a Bourbon tour around Louisville this past December and brought me a bottle of W. L. Weller Antique. Very nice! I've been trying to get a bottle of Pappy's for years now and I've read that the Weller 12yr is considered a poor man's Pappy. I asked him to pick me up a bottle of that also if he could find it there. I got lucky and he did. We have since sampled about half of each. I don't know which one I like best but they both are very very nice. The 12yr is smoother than the Antique but they both are great in their own way. They are 1 and 2 on my list so far of favorites.

Wellers was one of the originals and still one of my favotites. I like the 12 year. Interesting observation is that when a whiskey or whisky gets popular it gets pricier. I used to drink Yamazaki, Stranahans, and a few others but they went up enough that I pretty much gave them up. As others become more popular the price goes up and others come down, Wellers for instance. It's being rediscovered and although about $22.00 a bottle I can't find it easily anymore. I expect it to increase in price. Luckily Bulleit is about the same around here.

MegademiC
02-05-19, 17:58
Did someone say rum?
Just opened this Dominican.
Very good, heavy caremel/toffee, vanilla, and oak with a hint of smokiness to it.
Extremely smooth. Its also very sweet, which I typically dont like, but it wears it well... its not something you drink a lot of at once anyways.

Ice neither helped, nor hurt it :D

Flavor profile is pretty much the complete opposite of the Whistle Pig, both good in their own right.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqy9mqkho3j8q11/Photo%20Feb%2005%2C%206%2045%2004%20PM.jpg?raw=1

soulezoo
02-05-19, 18:19
You know, I like me a little rum here and there.

Hmac
02-05-19, 18:23
Did someone say rum?
Very good, heavy caremel/toffee, vanilla, and oak with a hint of smokiness to it.
Extremely smooth. Its also very sweet, which I typically dont like, but it wears it well... its not something you drink a lot of at once anyways.

Flavor profile is pretty much the complete opposite of the Whistle Pig, both good in their own right.

I love some rums, but for me the best rum is 5-star Barbancourt, a Haitian rum. I always pick up a couple of bottles on my way back through the airport in Port au Prince. I became a fan from post-mission trip stays at the resort Cormier Plage (https://cormierhaiti.com/) on the north coast just outside of Cap Haitien. They make a lime rum drink called Cormier Punch that I have learned to be very, very careful with. The Barbancourt itself is so smooth that it completely belies the kick that it will deliver to the unwary.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/df/Rhum_Barbancourt_Bottle.jpg/150px-Rhum_Barbancourt_Bottle.jpg

soulezoo
02-05-19, 18:24
Missing is a bottle of Ron Zacapa 23 year and Diplimatico that are out in the fifth wheel.

soulezoo
02-05-19, 18:26
I'd like to try some of that Barbancourt... have not seen that before.

soulezoo
02-05-19, 18:36
Did someone say rum?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqy9mqkho3j8q11/Photo%20Feb%2005%2C%206%2045%2004%20PM.jpg?raw=1

The Kirk and Sweeney has about the perfect nose in my judgment. The palate is good, not great (compared to others). I always catch just a bit of bitterness on the finish.
But this is splitting hairs. A good choice here.
We are blessed to live in a time with many choices of great rums...
Just realized I forgot my El Dorado in the picture. Oh well...

MegademiC
02-05-19, 18:38
You know, I like me a little rum here and there.

Ive had both on the left. The Abuelo12 is a good go to.

I tried the Barbancourt- but not the 5-star

soulezoo
02-05-19, 19:33
The Abuelo12 is good. The Centenario, I didn't like as much. Maybe my least favorite of all the rums I listed.

soulezoo
02-05-19, 19:40
Just an opinion, but of the rums I listed, in order of what I like best: 1. Ron Zacapa XO, Diplimatico, Plantation, Ron Zacapa 23 year, El Pasador de Oro XO, Ron Abuelo 12, Kirk and Sweeney 12, El Dorado 5, Centenario 12. That's just for what's on hand now, not overall all time.

tb-av
02-05-19, 19:42

I have not seen almost all of those. We are getting some more additions. The Plantation I know we get. The others I'll have to watch for.

Well I did find the Barbencourt 5 Star but the bottle looks differnt. Which again make me wonder do we the same rum here as what the country of origin gets.

Same thing I experienced with some Ron Matusalem that was brought from Cuba vs what I can buy here.

Found the Kirk & Sweeney

Have any of you seen or tried the Blackwell's. He's certainly got enough money to make anything he wants. I was curious how his Rum turned out.

soulezoo
02-05-19, 19:47
Plantation is really good and really good for the price.

hotrodder636
02-05-19, 19:49
Secondary?

Hi gentlemen,
Today is a good day. Got my BTAC shipment and a bottle of Blanton's for good measure. My liver just burped.

Let's keep this thread on the nice-nice please.
What are we enjoying this weekend?

I scored GTS, ORVW, Rhetoric 25, Yamazaki 12 and 2 W12s this year. Not too bad.

I enjoy McKenna, great bourbon for a good price. Either that or Prohibition is my “daily”.

The Weller line (OWA, SR) are likely to go up double in price this year from what I am hearing.

I like me a good smoky/peaty Scotch as well, Ardbegs are my favs.5580855809

soulezoo
02-05-19, 19:52
As far as bourbon goes though, no question for me. My palate really likes Pappy 20 year the best of all time. That is not a slight on any of the many wonderful bourbons available now, just that 20 year Pappy is best for me.

For rye, WhistlePig Black Prince is tops. Templeton a good cheaper option.

Canadian? I really enjoy Caribou Crossing a lot. Irish? I keep it simple with John Powers. Or Jameson Black Barrel.

hotrodder636
02-05-19, 19:52

Have you tried the Makers 46? I am not a fan of the regular MM but the 46 is GTG.

soulezoo
02-05-19, 20:18
Secondary?

I scored GTS, ORVW, Rhetoric 25, Yamazaki 12 and 2 W12s this year. Not too bad.

I enjoy McKenna, great bourbon foa a good price. Either that or Prohibition is my “daily”.

The Weller line (OWA, SR) are likely to go up double in price this year from what I am hearing.

I like me a good smoky/peaty Scotch as well, Ardbegs are my favs.5580855809

Agree with McKenna, about done with a bottle now.

hotrodder636
02-05-19, 20:24
I have tried all the PVW...I can’t say I like any of them but the 15 is the best of the group to me. I have a VWFRR coming in march from cousin in Florida-will see how it rates.

Been wanting to get a Willett Family Estate Bourbon but haven’t come across one yet.

As far as bourbon goes though, no question for me. My palate really likes Pappy 20 year the best of all time. That is not a slight on any of the many wonderful bourbons available now, just that 20 year Pappy is best for me.

For rye, WhistlePig Black Prince is tops. Templeton a good cheaper option.

Canadian? I really enjoy Caribou Crossing a lot. Irish? I keep it simple with John Powers. Or Jameson Black Barrel.

Hmac
02-05-19, 20:50

It's outstanding, has won many international awards. I've been a big fan for almost two decades.

https://www.winemag.com/2018/04/12/haiti-clairin-rum/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhum_Barbancourt

tb-av
02-05-19, 21:47
Have you tried the Makers 46? I am not a fan of the regular MM but the 46 is GTG.

No, I had a bottle in my hand and put it back on the shelf.

tb-av
02-05-19, 21:52
It's outstanding, has won many international awards. I've been a big fan for almost two decades.

https://www.winemag.com/2018/04/12/haiti-clairin-rum/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhum_Barbancourt

Is this the same thing? the bottles don't look anything alike
https://www.abc.virginia.gov/products/rum/rhum-barbancourt-5-star-reserve-speciale#/product?productSize=0

THCDDM4
02-06-19, 00:14
Barbancourt is one of my favorite rums. Introduced to it on my honeymoon in The Dominican Republic.

Just picked up some Ron Macambo Solera Limitada Anejo Rum from Mexico, wonderful stuff.

Got a variety of tequilas and mezcals as well.

My favorite of the bunch is Casa De Oro Extra Anejo. Best tequila I’ve ever had. It’s redicuously tasty.

My old stand by mezcal “Lajita” is smokey goodness.

Sipping some rye a buddy of mine made right now. Spicy rye bread and 120 proof. Very good but a little hot and green.

I scored yesterday big time. A local restaurant went under and I was friendly with the owner. He liquidated his booze and I got a bottle of little book, 2 bottles of GT stagg, a handful of assorted old forester’s and some angels envy. He hooked me up. Also got some absynthe, aquavit and grappa in the deal.

Hmac
02-06-19, 07:30
Is this the same thing? the bottles don't look anything alike
https://www.abc.virginia.gov/products/rum/rhum-barbancourt-5-star-reserve-speciale#/product?productSize=0

That’s the 5-star Reserve Especial, aged 8 years. Their other 5 star is the Estate Reserve, aged 15 years. I can’t tell the difference between the two. They make a couple of other 15-year rums but I don’t think they sell them in their domestic market. I only buy the stuff passing through the airport in PAP when I’m there...can’t get any of the Barbancourt around here.

tb-av
02-06-19, 10:07
That’s the 5-star Reserve Especial, aged 8 years. Their other 5 star is the Estate Reserve, aged 15 years. I can’t tell the difference between the two. They make a couple of other 15-year rums but I don’t think they sell them in their domestic market. I only buy the stuff passing through the airport in PAP when I’m there...can’t get any of the Barbancourt around here.

Ok, thanks, yes our catalog does not have that listed. I'll still try to pick of a bottle of the 8 year though. Seems like everyone likes it. I can't afford that $150 - $500 stuff some of you guys drink. I also like to try and find the 'sleepers'. Like Eagle's Rare Bourbon... That to me, is a great deal.

Hmac
02-06-19, 11:44
Ok, thanks, yes our catalog does not have that listed. I'll still try to pick of a bottle of the 8 year though. Seems like everyone likes it. I can't afford that $150 - $500 stuff some of you guys drink. I also like to try and find the 'sleepers'. Like Eagle's Rare Bourbon... That to me, is a great deal.

I don't like rum enough to spend that kind of money either, but buying the 5-star at the Port au Prince airport "duty free" gift shop (kind of an overly-grandiose way to describe that shop) is pretty cheap compared to what it typically costs in the US. They provide a convenient two or four-bottle cardboard carrying case. I'd estimate that about a third of the passengers boarding any given AA or Delta flight out of PAP are carrying at least a couple of bottles of Barbancourt. The airlines generally turn a blind eye to that extra burden on the overhead bins.

tb-av
02-06-19, 19:24
Well I picked up a bottle of the 5 Star 8 today $24. I do indeed like it. Good aroma and very smooth but with a nice bit of warmth finishing. I'll buy this again for sure.

Also got a bottle of Plantation 5. Same price. I waited a couple hours between the samples. Same nice aroma, maybe not quite as strong. The taste though is completely different. Almost like it turns to some sort of fruit or orange flavor then quickly keeps changing. Really unusual but also happens fast and fades. Mild warmth finish.

The Barbencourt you can feel all the way down. The Plantation seems to warm the belly a bit. I don't know that I have drank a Rum that makes that change when you drink it. that flavor... it's not Orange.... it's a bit like Liquorice or pine ( not Retsina levels but still )... Leather? Honestly I have never been good at describing 'flavors' so my namings may be way off. It's unique that's for sure.

I'm really happy with both actually. I can see why more people would lean towards the Barbencourt.

They had a bottle of Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 for just under $50. Had to pass on that. I need to look back and see if one of you recommended that or I read about it somewhere else. Pretty much nothing else off the -special recommendations-

soulezoo
02-06-19, 20:27
The Zacapa 23 is about $35. It's good. Not XO good, but still worth the $$

tb-av
02-06-19, 23:25
The Zacapa 23 is about $35. It's good. Not XO good, but still worth the $$

It's $48 here.

Moose-Knuckle
02-07-19, 04:30
My current vice . . .

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7862/33139803238_0ce36e018c_b.jpg

Watrdawg
02-07-19, 07:25
One of my co-workers introduced me to the Macallan. I've never been much of a Scotch person. However, I have a bottle of the 15yr Triple Cask and really like it a lot! I keep it in my office drawer with 2 nice whiskey glasses. He and I will have a drink or two and discuss the daily or weekly goings on in the office. Other than relaxing with a very nice after work beverage we have had some great work discussions and it has been very productive. Killing two birds with one stone basically.

Hmac
02-07-19, 14:50
One of my co-workers introduced me to the Macallan. I've never been much of a Scotch person. However, I have a bottle of the 15yr Triple Cask and really like it a lot! I keep it in my office drawer with 2 nice whiskey glasses. He and I will have a drink or two and discuss the daily or weekly goings on in the office. Other than relaxing with a very nice after work beverage we have had some great work discussions and it has been very productive. Killing two birds with one stone basically.

In my experience, I can perceive a significant variation between the 12, 15, and 18 year Macallan. In any given situation, if my options are the 12 or 15 year Macallan and not the 18, I would generally opt for a Glenmorangie 18 or The Aberlour. I'm kind of new to The Aberlour 12 or 16, but my impression so far is very favorable.

Watrdawg
02-07-19, 15:01
In my experience, I can perceive a significant variation between the 12, 15, and 18 year Macallan. In any given situation, if my options are the 12 or 15 year Macallan and not the 18, I would generally opt for a Glenmorangie 18 or The Aberlour. I'm kind of new to The Aberlour 12 or 16, but my impression so far is very favorable.

Another friend recommended the Aberlour also. Sounds like it will have to go on my list to try out.

tb-av
02-08-19, 19:04
So have any of you guys tried any Smith and Cross rum? I saw it in our price list and didn't recognize the bottle. Looked up a review. It must be some wild stuff.

If you have never heard of it... check out some of these reviews. funny stuff.

https://www.rumratings.com/brands/902-smith-and-cross-navy-strength

Hmac
02-08-19, 20:32
Another friend recommended the Aberlour also. Sounds like it will have to go on my list to try out.
It’s an excellent scotch, but the 12, 16, and 18 are pretty different from each other. IMHO the hallmark of all of them is that they’re very smooth but the taste profiles are all three different. I prefer the profile of the 16 but my buddy is pretty scotch-smart and swears by the 18. At that price point, I’d rather drink the Macallan 18.

soulezoo
02-08-19, 21:26
So have any of you guys tried any Smith and Cross rum? I saw it in our price list and didn't recognize the bottle. Looked up a review. It must be some wild stuff.

If you have never heard of it... check out some of these reviews. funny stuff.

https://www.rumratings.com/brands/902-smith-and-cross-navy-strength
Those are funny reviews. Only surpassed by reviews for Haribo sugar free gummi bears... seriously.

Todd.K
02-08-19, 23:53
So have any of you guys tried any Smith and Cross rum?

I can't get enough. Not a sipper, but in moderation as part of a mixed drink it adds flavor I don't find anywhere else. Ever wonder why a bunch of old rum drinks use a mix of rums with one being overproof? This rum has a fruity+funky flavor that adds way more than just a stronger drink.

tb-av
02-09-19, 11:10
I can't get enough. Not a sipper, but in moderation as part of a mixed drink it adds flavor I don't find anywhere else. Ever wonder why a bunch of old rum drinks use a mix of rums with one being overproof? This rum has a fruity+funky flavor that adds way more than just a stronger drink.

So the reviews are accurate. I may have to pick up a bottle. I think a couple of the stores around here had some limited quantities. We have a State List, but not everything is available. It can simply be sold in VA. Then we have store priority. Some stores get some things, some managers can request certain items. In fact sometimes you see the most ho hum locations having the off the wall item. Or stores near heavy restaurant populations the widest variety but maybe only a bottle or two of any particular item.

When we used to go to Jamaica, we used to have to get guys to break up limestone so terraces could be built. So the money and number of guys was settled, then without fail they needed a bottle of J. Wray & Nephew 151. I made the mistake one day of offering a bottle of Appleton.... "oh no, that's not real rum". So off to town I go. the real surprise was the next day they showed up to work. They didn't want it for after work. They started drinking that stuff at eight in the morning. I know one guy was near 60 years old. Craziest thing I have ever seen. Swinging sledge hammers and drinking 151 straight in the blazing sun. They did the work so I guess when in Rome don;t rock the boat.

soulezoo
02-09-19, 12:43
Say what you will about California, but one of the problems we don't have is getting any booze we want.

soulezoo
02-09-19, 12:47
Has anyone here *looking at you Serious Student* tried the Johnny Walker Blue Label "Ghost and Rare"? I've read some reviews but before I drop $300 + on a bottle (I have had regular Blue Label and can get it as low as $120) I'd like to know if it's worth the price over regular Blue Label.

tb-av
02-09-19, 17:49
Say what you will about California, but one of the problems we don't have is getting any booze we want.

Well one could argue Californians probably need it more than most.

tb-av
02-09-19, 18:13
Well I found a bottle of Smith and Cross ... holy cow.

You know that smell of an orange in your kitchen that you lost and it starts to ferment? --- That flavor is there big time.

That smell of caked on char if you forget to clean your grill and it also rains on it? --- Yep, it's there.

The smell of an old leather boot. One that hasn't been worn in 20 years but just sat in the back of the closet? Yeah, the inside of the boot, not the outside. --- More than a hint of that

Remember the last time you changed your differential oil? Well imagine you drained that oil into an oak barrel --- That's the one.

Sand and driftwood, tar, mossy wet tree bark? --- I honestly am not sure what those are.

It has surprisingly minimal heat/burn going down. I would not recommend standing next to an open flame though. Oh and burping is akin to a laboratory experiment gone wrong.

That was an experience

soulezoo
02-09-19, 20:14
Great review!

soulezoo
02-09-19, 20:15
Well one could argue Californians probably need it more than most.
Brother, you said a mouthful.

soulezoo
02-09-19, 20:17
Tonight, I am sipping some Clyde Mays Alabama whiskey. 110 proof. The nose is that of granny Smith apples
Really good with an ice ball.

Todd.K
02-10-19, 08:38
Well I found a bottle of Smith and Cross ... holy cow.

You know that smell of an orange in your kitchen that you lost and it starts to ferment? --- That flavor is there big time.

That smell of caked on char if you forget to clean your grill and it also rains on it? --- Yep, it's there.

The smell of an old leather boot. One that hasn't been worn in 20 years but just sat in the back of the closet? Yeah, the inside of the boot, not the outside. --- More than a hint of that

Remember the last time you changed your differential oil? Well imagine you drained that oil into an oak barrel --- That's the one.

Sand and driftwood, tar, mossy wet tree bark? --- I honestly am not sure what those are.

It has surprisingly minimal heat/burn going down. I would not recommend standing next to an open flame though. Oh and burping is akin to a laboratory experiment gone wrong.

That was an experience

Now go mix it in drink. Even just a rum and coke with your normal rum, then a splash of the Smith and Cross. Or anything with fruit juice.

tb-av
02-10-19, 10:01
Yeah, I see how it would be good to cut through in a mixed drink. I am not much on coming up with a good mixed drink. Never liked rum & coke. I used to drink Rum&OJ. I need to look up something different. Maybe something with ginger in it.

MegademiC
02-10-19, 11:01
Yeah, I see how it would be good to cut through in a mixed drink. I am not much on coming up with a good mixed drink. Never liked rum & coke. I used to drink Rum&OJ. I need to look up something different. Maybe something with ginger in it.

Dark and stormy:

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/dark_and_stormy/

tb-av
03-24-19, 00:28
I am officially a Plantation convert.

Yes, I also did the Dark & Stormy with Smith & Cross. I have made a modified D&S with various rums.

Plantation has captured me though.

The $25 5 Star was edgy but had some unique character. I found a bottle of "Pineapple" and I love the smell of a good fresh pineapple so that was perfect. Found a bottle of XO and it's like a smooth version of the 5Star and Pineapple.

By far of every whisky I have ever tasted the XO is my favorite. This is all in an under $50 experience.

The Smith & Cross will be a staple. Can't do without it for a mixed drink.

Barbancourt kinda fell flat for me.

I'm still forming opinions on others.

My Dark & Stormy

20ml - rum 1
20ml - rum 2 -- or various whisky --- Knob Creek Rye?
20ml - rum 3 -- or various whisky -- - Bourbon

juice of meyer lemon

Ice

Tall glass

Ice

4 Oz Ginger Beer

Splash of Smith & Cross on top with lime jiuce

Stir moderately and let rest for 5 minutes.

Alternate. 2 Oz Root Beer & 2 Oz Ginger Beer -- splash of Bitteres

Plantation Rum has absolutely captured my attention. My absolute favorite.

contax_shooter
03-24-19, 07:58
Has anyone here *looking at you Serious Student* tried the Johnny Walker Blue Label "Ghost and Rare"? I've read some reviews but before I drop $300 + on a bottle (I have had regular Blue Label and can get it as low as $120) I'd like to know if it's worth the price over regular Blue Label.

Hell no, especially not to consume unless it's strictly for bragging rights or you're a collector. Stick to normal Blue Label for consumption. Diageo/JW doesn't state the amount of those closed down distilleries nor are any of the Ghost and Rare batches truly "limited."

I managed to snag a Michter's 10 year rye and Little Book No 2 when I was TDY at Knox last summer. Also grabbed two bottles of Nikka 17 from one of the larger chain stores.

SeriousStudent
03-31-19, 14:50

Sorry, I just saw this. I am honestly not an enormous fan of Johnny Walker Blue based on its price. I have tried it multiple times, had multiple pours in different bars from different bottles.

For the price, I was just underwhelmed. I wanted to like it, but would rather spend that amount of cash (~$200) on different bottles. I can get a bottle of Kentucky Owl Bourbon or Yamazaki 18 for that kind of cash, and would honestly enjoy them more.

Hope that helps.

soulezoo
04-02-19, 08:04
Sorry, I just saw this. I am honestly not an enormous fan of Johnny Walker Blue based on its price. I have tried it multiple times, had multiple pours in different bars from different bottles.

For the price, I was just underwhelmed. I wanted to like it, but would rather spend that amount of cash (~$200) on different bottles. I can get a bottle of Kentucky Owl Bourbon or Yamazaki 18 for that kind of cash, and would honestly enjoy them more.

Hope that helps.

That does help, thank you. Point is moot for the time being anyway. All my booze money for awhile just went to buying a metric crap ton of newly legal standard capacity magazines.

Whiskey_Bravo
04-02-19, 08:55

Hope that helps.

Same here. I have just never cared for it. Not bad, but just not worth the price.

On another note, Serious Student. Where do you typically purchase your "better" bourbons? I have lost my in at Total Wine so no more heads up when decent stuff arrives so getting it is a crap shoot.

Pappabear
04-02-19, 10:36
Just finished a bottle of Woodford, got to restock today. Something from KY is my only strict requirement. And good KY spirits!

I would like to share one little pet peeve, is it not most disturbing when you go into a bar and order a double XYZ on the rocks and it comes back already watered down from shitty ice that taste like bar smell and its patly crushed. $17 down the drain.

PB

Whiskey_Bravo
04-02-19, 11:51
Just finished a bottle of Woodford, got to restock today. Something from KY is my only strict requirement. And good KY spirits!

I would like to share one little pet peeve, is it not most disturbing when you go into a bar and order a double XYZ on the rocks and it comes back already watered down from shitty ice that taste like bar smell and its patly crushed. $17 down the drain.

PB

Drink the good stuff neat and that will never be a problem again.

soulezoo
04-02-19, 12:13
I did get another bottle of the McKenna now that it won whiskey of the year.

Pappabear
04-02-19, 12:14
That be true. Might slow me down too.

SeriousStudent
04-02-19, 17:13

On another note, Serious Student. Where do you typically purchase your "better" bourbons? I have lost my in at Total Wine so no more heads up when decent stuff arrives so getting it is a crap shoot.

The same places you do - Total and Spec's. I just make friends with the people that run the stores. You know what works well? Sharing.

I get a lot of neat stuff because I share. Many retail liquor store employees are not allowed to buy allocated bottles (like at Total Wine and Spec's) because they do not want them to resell on the secondary market.

I have this bizarre habit of buying neat stuff, opening it, and bringing a sample back to my friends at the store. These little 2 ounce bottles are great for that:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y5XQ6SJ/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got a nice bottle of High West Midsummer's Night Dram, which is a nice rye whiskey. High West sources their whiskey from MGP, just like Whistle Pig and others. But they do a nice job of blending the barrels they buy. Dave Pickrell, God rest his soul, was damn good at doing that with Whistle Pig.

So I opened the bottle and poured two of those 2 ounce bottles, and took them back to the store, with a pair of cigars - the new Fuente Hemingway Works of Art. They are like a Short Story, but a larger ring size.

The manager just stared. "I hook people up all the time, and none of them ever returns the favor". Then he went in the back and got me a bottle of Blanton's he was saving. It made for an awesome birthday present for one of my minions at work.

I also like doing an Oktoberfest party, and inviting the folks from the liquor stores. Most of them are just hourly folks, and would love a nice cookout like that. Some great brats, tasty drinks, awesome desserts and cigars.

Cast thy bread upon the waters, and thou shalt find results.

People remember who's nice to them. Hope that helps.

SeriousStudent
04-02-19, 17:15

Yup, that is all I ever use, is a glass. I have found that if you drink straight from the bottle, people throw around words like "alcoholic" and "intervention".

And words hurt. :(

Having said that, I make a point of having a Sazerac cocktail or three when in New Orleans.

Whiskey_Bravo
04-02-19, 17:32
The same places you do - Total and Spec's. I just make friends with the people that run the stores. You know what works well? Sharing.

I get a lot of neat stuff because I share. Many retail liquor store employees are not allowed to buy allocated bottles (like at Total Wine and Spec's) because they do not want them to resell on the secondary market.

I have this bizarre habit of buying neat stuff, opening it, and bringing a sample back to my friends at the store. These little 2 ounce bottles are great for that:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y5XQ6SJ/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got a nice bottle of High West Midsummer's Night Dram, which is a nice rye whiskey. High West sources their whiskey from MGP, just like Whistle Pig and others. But they do a nice job of blending the barrels they buy. Dave Pickrell, God rest his soul, was damn good at doing that with Whistle Pig.

So I opened the bottle and poured two of those 2 ounce bottles, and took them back to the store, with a pair of cigars - the new Fuente Hemingway Works of Art. They are like a Short Story, but a larger ring size.

The manager just stared. "I hook people up all the time, and none of them ever returns the favor". Then he went in the back and got me a bottle of Blanton's he was saving. It made for an awesome birthday present for one of my minions at work.

I also like doing an Oktoberfest party, and inviting the folks from the liquor stores. Most of them are just hourly folks, and would love a nice cookout like that. Some great brats, tasty drinks, awesome desserts and cigars.

Cast thy bread upon the waters, and thou shalt find results.

People remember who's nice to them. Hope that helps.

Yes sir, kindness goes a long way. I had a relative that worked at Total in the spirits department so I always got the heads up. Now I need to start back at square one I guess. Serves me right for putting all my eggs in one basket at that store I guess.

Not sure what part of town you are in but check out Empire Liquor at Spring Creek and Alma in Plano. Good selection of craft beer(some hard to find) and if you are lucky nice whiskey. Much smaller of course than Total or Specs but a nice couple run it although he isn't there as often anymore now that they opened their second location in Allen.

SeriousStudent
04-02-19, 19:21
Spec's in building a store in Allen, which should be open in a few months. The liquor department manager at their mothership store in Dallas is a friend. They will be bringing in some nice bottles for the grand opening.

Thanks for the tip about Empire, I have seen it but never been inside. I'll check it out.

soulezoo
04-02-19, 20:47
Decisions.... ok, the cigar and cognac on the right.

soulezoo
04-02-19, 20:49
How do you get the picture to come out correctly??? I didn't take it sideways!

Sry0fcr
04-03-19, 10:07

PB

If you have a Total Wine near you, give the Knob Creek RYE Single Barrel Select a shot. It's near barrel proof at 115, and barrels are selected by Fred Noe himself. At $50 I found it to be an amazing value.

hotrodder636
10-03-19, 03:15
Hey fellow bourboners....I am hoping to get lucky here by asking if anyone has a line on or can get a bottle of EH Taylor Amaranth-Grain of the Gods. I am wanting to add it to my EHT collection. PM me if you have info please. Thank you.

MegademiC
11-14-19, 20:00
12 year Panamanian rum aged in old bourbon barrels followed by extra charred virgin American Oak.

Great bold rum with a heavy variety of flavors. Great with a large cube to follow the developing flavors as it dilutes.

Its good straight, but so rich you can miss some details.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w0gwyxha6f14rs1/Photo%20Nov%2014%2C%208%2050%2004%20PM.jpg?raw=1

SeriousStudent
11-14-19, 22:07
It is a very small world. A buddy of mine who is a former mod here married into that family in Panama. I have a neat bottle of their stuff that was aged in a sherry cask.

Very nice for the money.

soulezoo
11-14-19, 23:26
I agree about the Ron Abuelo. I have a bottle of the regular 12 year. Very underrated.

Tonight's selection is Old Forester Prohibition.
I like this the best from the Old Forester offerings.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-15-19, 21:40
I've been 100% Scotch my entire whiskey drinking years, but I just recently discovered a love for bourbon. Currently drinking Makers 46, it's okay, with a bottle of Elijah Craig on tap. I'd like a bottle of Whistle Pig for Christmas.

Makers
https://i.imgur.com/Sk95mOS.jpg

Campbell
11-17-19, 06:17
I got hung up on Weller 107 for a while, then I had a customer turn me onto Rare Breed. I’ve tried a lot of good bourbon in the last year(thanks to this thread) and to date this is my favorite .

matemike
11-17-19, 07:16
Sorry guys, I can't review Bourbon without remembering this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVxtzUBURHA

I am more a beer guy myself.
I've had Pappy Van Winkle at a couple weddings. Good stuff.
But honestly I'll just grab anything from Glenlivet to Famous Grouse for Scotch and Makers Mark or Jim Beam for Bourbon if I see it at the store and the mood strikes me. I guess I need to try some Laphroaig 10 next time I see it.

ABNAK
11-17-19, 08:33
Sometime next week my liquor store guy is supposed to have me a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle. He got me one last year so I told him to lay me one on for this year too.

Pappabear
11-19-19, 18:41
My Total Wine has been stocking all kinds of amazing bourbon as of late. Drink too much to buy $100 bottles. My last real yum yum was Calumet , Ky Bourbon. Went to KY for my Dads funeral when I first bought it, so its sentimental to me. I buy it somewhat often these days.

THCDDM4
12-01-19, 12:51
Picked up a bottle of this years “A Midwinter Nights Dram” from High West. It’s always a favorite of mine. Hard to get due to limited supply, but if you can find it, it is well worth the $90.00 it commands.

Definitely enjoyed a few drams over the Thanksgiving break.

SeriousStudent
12-01-19, 13:33
Picked up a bottle of this years “A Midwinter Nights Dram” from High West. It’s always a favorite of mine. Hard to get due to limited supply, but if you can find it, it is well worth the $90.00 it commands.

Definitely enjoyed a few drams over the Thanksgiving break.

I was not a big rye fan until a few years ago. You are definitely right about the Midwinter's Night Dram - excellent stuff and one of my favorites now.

soulezoo
12-01-19, 19:34
I came home from Maui with three little friends.
From Hawaii Sea Spirits I got a bottle of "BRUM" (their take on aged sipping rum) and their FY organic gin. Both are available only at the distillery.
I met my sister there who just came back from Scotland and brought me a bottle of The Glenlivet 13 year old. It's matured in the Oloroso sherry casks and is available only at the distillery and in Taiwan.
I tried to post a pic, but the pic exceeds file size allowed...

Watrdawg
12-03-19, 07:30
My Total Wine has been stocking all kinds of amazing bourbon as of late. Drink too much to buy $100 bottles. My last real yum yum was Calumet , Ky Bourbon. Went to KY for my Dads funeral when I first bought it, so its sentimental to me. I buy it somewhat often these days.

Love Calumet. Try Jefferson's Ocean Aged bourbon. Very smooth.

tb-av
12-03-19, 22:28
Picked up a couple bottles of Santa Teresa 1796 and it's one the nicer bottles of rum I've bought in a while. Very enjoyable straight.

Speaking of Van Winkle.... got this from the ABC store today.... just a tad outside my budget.

Van Winkle Collection $1,499.99
Family Reserve 23
Family Reserve 20
Family Reserve 15
Special Reserve 12
Old RVW 10

Six chances to win the lottery to purchase.

Have any of you guys had any Hibiki whisky. It gets really high ratings from just about everyone. I was wondering what tastes like. Like which other style of whisky does it favor or lean towards.

I'm definitely a rum person but I like some other styles as well. To me though whisky like rum or bourbon are a totally different thing from Scotch or Irish. Then of course Gin is own deal. I was just curious what a highly rated Japanese style was like.

Also if anyone is from NC and knows a way to search the NC ABC for inventory I would like to know. We have VA ABC and I can search the entire inventory regardless of store, then search store level as well. I can't figure out a way to do that for NC ABC. I was wondering if they had some more variety. I have a friend that goes to NC quite often.

Todd.K
12-04-19, 13:01
Have any of you guys had any Hibiki whisky. It gets really high ratings from just about everyone. I was wondering what tastes like. Like which other style of whisky does it favor or lean towards.

I've tasted a couple, but don't remember the names. They were Scotch style, one was pretty heavily peated.