PDA

View Full Version : Illinois Assault Weapons Ban 2019

signal4l
02-01-19, 22:50
Due to work and family obligations I am trapped in the People's Republic of Illinois for the next few years. Our leftist liberal governor has stated his intentions to move forward with an assault weapons ban. He's already signed a bill requiring additional fees and regulations for FFL holders. I'm very worried about what is coming. Let's start a thread to keep each other updated.

For those unfamiliar with Illinois, we have a unique phenomenon here with our"Downstate Democrats". These are the Democrats from more rural areas, mostly south of I-80. Traditionally, they have opposed gun control. It'll be interesting to see if they hold firm and prevent the northern liberals from obtaining the 60 votes necessary ramrod this nonsense down our throats. Here is a link to the legislation as well as a relevant article:

http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=107&GAID=15&DocTypeID=SB&LegID=115114&SessionID=108&GA=101&fbclid=IwAR1II84I-VvM0Ddb069t8PhtP7Kcvjm_UMH0uE_3HIaKVx04S7pwhVdmXsU

https://patch.com/illinois/deerfield/assault-weapons-ban-gun-buyer-social-media-search-proposed

BoringGuy45
02-02-19, 22:36
While I obviously hope this dies, if an AWB is passed in IL, it could end up backfiring and having major repercussions against the anti-gunners, and here's why: One of the reasons why none of the state AWB laws have made it to the Supreme Court is that, generally speaking, they turn away challenges unless there is a disagreement between two or more circuit courts on the same issue. So far, all the current ban states (MA, CT, NY, NJ, MD, and CA) are in heavily left-wing circuits. IL is in the much more conservative 7th Circuit. If IL passed a ban and it got struck down, they would lead to a dispute which the SC would have to settle. And while I don't trust Roberts overall, he's consistently ruled in favor of gun rights. So that could settle the assault weapons controversy for a good long while.

signal4l
02-03-19, 00:46
While I obviously hope this dies, if an AWB is passed in IL, it could end up backfiring and having major repercussions against the anti-gunners, and here's why: One of the reasons why none of the state AWB laws have made it to the Supreme Court is that, generally speaking, they turn away challenges unless there is a disagreement between two or more circuit courts on the same issue. So far, all the current ban states (MA, CT, NY, NJ, MD, and CA) are in heavily left-wing circuits. IL is in the much more conservative 7th Circuit. If IL passed a ban and it got struck down, they would lead to a dispute which the SC would have to settle. And while I don't trust Roberts overall, he's consistently ruled in favor of gun rights. So that could settle the assault weapons controversy for a good long while.

Good info. Thanks for the post

LMT Shooter
02-03-19, 14:40
Friday night I attended a small gathering of local pro-gun folks where our State Representative Chris Miller spoke about anti-gun legislation in Illinois. It does look like we are entering a bleak period, lots of anti-gun bills being filed. He encouraged all to contact legislators, & not just your own. He also encouraged folks to show up for IGOLD.

It was not a highly encouraging night, in terms of possible legislation for the near future.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-04-19, 13:38
For those unfamiliar with Illinois, we have a unique phenomenon here with our"Downstate Democrats". These are the Democrats from more rural areas, mostly south of I-80. Traditionally, they have opposed gun control. [/URL]

Ha, I've always joked that 'southern' Illinois started at Joliet, you actually moved it north.

Good luck. My family is from Chicago, and two of us have already ejected. CO didn't end up being the answer, but my brother in Crowne Point gets all the benefits of the big city with out the full Progressive stupid.

signal4l
02-04-19, 14:38
Ha, I've always joked that 'southern' Illinois started at Joliet, you actually moved it north.

Good luck. My family is from Chicago, and two of us have already ejected. CO didn't end up being the answer, but my brother in Crowne Point gets all the benefits of the big city with out the full Progressive stupid.
I have family members that escaped to Northwest Indiana as well. I wish I did before I got a job mortgage and kids.

https://youtu.be/jT38E-36GTQ

The dad is in Illinois. The son's made it to the free sector---Indiana.

T2C
02-05-19, 10:29
The Democrats having been waiting 4 years for this opportunity and they are taking advantage of it. Governor Pritzker will sign anything the Democrats put in front of him. Shame on anyone who A) voted for J.B. Pritzker or B) sat on their fat behinds and did not go to the polls on election day.

This is not just about firearms in Illinois. You will find the pro-2nd Amendment crowd are also part of a large group of taxpayers who will be under assault by the Democrats and the Pritzker administration. IGOLD is coming up Wednesday, March 27th. It's time to dig in our heels, join the ISRA and NRA and fight back.

Torch-36
03-13-19, 20:20
Due to districting here in Illinois, the majority of the state legislature is in or near Chicagoland area. There can be no question that this is another attempt to ignore the 2nd amendment. They clearly chose to ignore the phrase "shall not be infringed". Then again, politicians in Illinois have been openly violating the law for years.

just a scout
03-14-19, 04:16
Everyone forgets Pritzker is the one who tried to buy Obama’s Senate seat from Blago. And I don’t recall hearing about that anytime during the Primary or the run up to the election.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jpmuscle
03-14-19, 05:09
Everyone forgets Pritzker is the one who tried to buy Obama’s Senate seat from Blago. And I don’t recall hearing about that anytime during the Primary or the run up to the election.

Omg Blago... I loved that guy. Is he still around?? He’s in prison right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T2C
03-14-19, 20:44
Omg Blago... I loved that guy. Is he still around?? He’s in prison right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, he is still in Federal prison. The Democrats want him kept on ice, so he can't go public with information that could send them to prison.

dmaxfireman
03-14-19, 21:24

That would be fantastic. Why does SCOTUS decline to hear a case that's clearly unconstitutional?

just a scout
03-14-19, 21:40
Yes, he is still in Federal prison. The Democrats want him kept on ice, so he can't go public with information that could send them to prison.

I liked Blago. At least he was honest about being a crook.

gunrunner505
03-15-19, 21:29
Illinois has been a horribly run state for years. Chicago hasn't had a republican mayor since 1931. The dems have been trying hard to kill it and now with Jelly Bean in office I fear they will succeed. And they all look around and wonder how things got like this. I've lived here most of my life but I'm looking real close at popping smoke and getting out.

trauma
03-17-19, 17:11
Lived in illinois for 35 years, had a business there along with another family business thats in the process of being sold.
2nd highest in the nation for property taxes along with 45k resident leaving annually.

Property taxes coupled with fewer people in the buyers pool are just killing home values, GET OUT NOW!
Detroit part 2 if you will, musical chairs, don’t get caught with your pants down when the music stops.

You guys stuck behind enemy lines when Civil War 2 pops off just summon Josey Wales and never quit until the job is done.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-census-illinois-population-20181219-story.html

platoonDaddy
03-22-19, 18:26
Dang, great news!

A Lake County, IL Circuit Court judge blocked the village of Deerfield from enforcing its ban on assault weapons, striking a legal blow to gun control efforts at the local level.

According to The Chicago Tribune, Judge Luis Berrones issued a permanent injunction against the Chicago suburb, writing that the plaintiff firearm owners have “a clearly ascertainable right to not be subjected to a preempted and unenforceable ordinance” that bans them from having these firearms, mandates monetary fines for possessing them and enables law enforcement to seize these firearms. (RELATED: Kamala Harris Calls For Gun Ban)

https://dailycaller.com/2019/03/22/judge-blocks-gun-ban-chicago-suburb/

AlphaKoncepts
03-24-19, 08:36
Wilson vs cook (cook county AWB) is also perculating through the courts.

signal4l
03-24-19, 09:26
Wilson vs cook (cook county AWB) is also perculating through the courts.

I wasn't aware of Wilson v Cook County. Looks like it was filed back in 2011 and is just about ready to go to trial. Keep us updated..