PDA

View Full Version : Real world pull weight of LaRue Tactical MBT-2S Trigger?

opngrnd
02-02-19, 19:21
Title says it all. I've traditionally gone with the Geissele SSA-E for precision roles, but I'm considering the LaRue trigger as an alternative. I figure if it's too heavy I can throw it in a non-precision build.

If you have a LaRue Tactical MBT-2S Trigger, what does your average pull weight come in at?

jschmitt08
02-02-19, 20:07
I can recheck mine tomorrow but if I recall it was under 3lbs.

grizzman
02-02-19, 20:53
Mine are very close to 4 pounds of complete pull weight. None of them, when new, were 4.5 pounds or more.

gunnerblue
02-02-19, 22:45
The second stage on mine breaks right at 2 1/4 pounds. I feel it is comparable to my Geissele SSA-E in no small part due to the flat trigger shoe. This is an average of five pulls on a Timney scale.

JediGuy
02-02-19, 22:55
I’m curious if anyone has this data with the heavier spring installed.

grizzman
02-02-19, 23:07
I have one of the heavier springs sitting on a work bench, so I could certainly install it and take a few measurements.

grizzman
02-02-19, 23:35
The lower is a Colt LE6920, with roughly 250 rounds of use on the standard spring. The heavy spring is new and unused. The measurements are an average of 5 pulls taken with a Lyman scale.

Standard Spring -
1st stage Average - 1 lb 14.6 oz
Combined Stages Average - 3 lbs 12.1 oz

Heavy Spring -
1st Stage Average - 3 lbs 4.0 oz
Combined Stages Average - 5 lbs 8 oz

Torquetard
02-03-19, 16:03
Have 2 both with the heavy and one is 4 and the other, less broken in one is 4.5. The heavy spring doesn't add much weight and really just makes the reset snappier,

opngrnd
02-03-19, 17:15
You guys have sold me. Thank you very much for all your feedback. I'll take some measurements and add my own feedback on a brand new one with the Standard Spring. I'll be using mine in a precision role.

grizzman
02-03-19, 17:25
These are very consistent from unit to unit. Each of mine measure within a few ounces of the others.

bobbytucson
02-06-19, 14:05
all i know is i love my larue mbt. mechanically are they as sound and proven as geissellee? whose to say these days. but function, reliability and pricepoint, id absolutely say the mbt and sionics 2 stage triggers are the only contenders for geisselle replacements these days (imo ofcourse)

opngrnd
02-06-19, 16:40
I'm looking forward to testing mine out. I called LaRue today and there is a 5-6 week backorder, so it'll be a little while before I can chime in. Apparently, the $87 price tag has brought in quite a few orders.

msnyder0609
02-07-19, 17:59
Have 2 both with the heavy and one is 4 and the other, less broken in one is 4.5. The heavy spring doesn't add much weight and really just makes the reset snappier,

Agreed. I was disappointed with the trigger until I put the heavier spring in. Reset was really weak with the light spring. Great trigger for the money.

Rayrevolver
02-08-19, 15:46
I'm looking forward to testing mine out. I called LaRue today and there is a 5-6 week backorder, so it'll be a little while before I can chime in. Apparently, the $87 price tag has brought in quite a few orders.

I love my SD-C but figured I would try the MBT for $87 for a spare lower. Ordered 20 Jan and it shipped today, 8 Feb.

Also bought the trigger chassis thing to mix and match my milspec trigger parts and general goofing off.

opngrnd
02-08-19, 16:57
I love my SD-C but figured I would try the MBT for $87 for a spare lower. Ordered 20 Jan and it shipped today, 8 Feb.

Also bought the trigger chassis thing to mix and match my milspec trigger parts and general goofing off.

That's pretty promising! Really, I'm 2 weeks into the wait, so it won't take as long as it sounds. I'm still a pretty big fan of it shipping early, though:cool:

18Steel
02-11-19, 01:25
Bought one when they had the cheap as hell sale around Christmas. Wish I bought a dozen.

AndyLate
02-11-19, 06:34
Bought one when they had the cheap as hell sale around Christmas. Wish I bought a dozen.

They are still the same price, the sale was extended.

opngrnd
02-13-19, 15:24
Shipping label is created. Assuming it physically moves out tomorrow, that's 14 days from payment to shipping. Not bad at all.

Esq.
02-17-19, 16:29
I bought a half a dozen of them around Christmas. Was sitting at the gunshow today with time on my hands so I installed 4 of them. They may not be quite as nice as Geisele SSA-E......but I'll never pay $250 for an AR trigger again....

opngrnd
02-19-19, 18:48
Installed the trigger with Rand CLP on the contact points, and took a 10 pull average of 4lbs 1.4oz when trying to carefully keep the roller in the middle of the trigger. If I drop the roller a little lower towards the tip of the trigger bow, I can easily get readings of 3.5lbs. Coming from USGI triggers on blasters and the SSA-E on SPRs, the trigger feels massively wide, but I think it's going to be welcome on a precision build.

Of note is that I had to remove the safety to install trigger, but it's certainly doable, even if I dislike doing so.

Hammer_Man
02-19-19, 19:31
I installed one on my DMR build, and my well calibrated index finger feels like it pulls around 4 lbs., maybe a bit under. Overall I find the performance of this trigger to be outstanding. The first stage is butter smooth, and the second stage breaks like glass. I paid less than what I paid for my RRA match trigger, and I feel it out performs it and is machined 300% better. I will definitely buy another.

ssgballistics
02-22-19, 04:17
I have a couple of Giessele triggers and as much as I like them I can’t justify purchasing another. My buddy just dropped an MBT into his rifle and that trigger is awesome. For $87 the MBT is a steal.

BufordTJustice
02-23-19, 21:44
I have a couple of Giessele triggers and as much as I like them I can’t justify purchasing another. My buddy just dropped an MBT into his rifle and that trigger is awesome. For $87 the MBT is a steal.

I'll still employ Geissele for SD/HD, But my MBT-2S arrives in a few weeks and I've shot several. They're disproportionately damn good for the price. They were a solid value at $120. They're simply the only option at $87.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

opngrnd
02-23-19, 22:00
I'll still employ Geissele for SD/HD, But my MBT-2S arrives in a few weeks and I've shot several. They're disproportionately damn good for the price. They were a solid value at $120. They're simply the only option at $87.

Agreed. If the SSA-E is a 10, and the USGI a 2, then the MBT is an solid 8.5. And it may come closer with use. I dry fired my new MBT and broken in SSA-E side by side, and while the G has an understandable advantage, it's a 1/2 pound advantage, and the wide trigger helps with some of the heavier "feel". The MBT will no doubt wear in a little while only costing half as much.

BufordTJustice
02-23-19, 22:05
Agreed. If the SSA-E is a 10, and the USGI a 2, then the MBT is an solid 8.5. And it may come closer with use. I dry fired my new MBT and broken in SSA-E side by side, and while the G has an understandable advantage, it's a 1/2 pound advantage, and the wide trigger helps with some of the heavier "feel". The MBT will no doubt wear in a little while only costing half as much.

Yep.

Did the package arrive on Friday like the USPS told me it would?

opngrnd
02-23-19, 22:28
Yep.

Did the package arrive on Friday like the USPS told me it would?

Saturday, but I was at work during the one hour pickup window. It'll end up in the parcel locker by Tuesday, installed by Wednesday. :cool:

AndyLate
02-23-19, 23:15
I'll still employ Geissele for SD/HD

I would like to know why you prefer/choose the G trigger over the L trigger for SD/HD. Curious, not challenging.

Andy

BufordTJustice
02-24-19, 09:05
Saturday, but I was at work during the one hour pickup window. It'll end up in the parcel locker by Tuesday, installed by Wednesday. :cool:

At least they didn't lose it. So much for priority 2-day. [emoji849]

BufordTJustice
02-24-19, 09:23
I would like to know why you prefer/choose the G trigger over the L trigger for SD/HD. Curious, not challenging.

Andy

Pedigree of design and proven performance. They've been making triggers to a crazy high standard for a very long time. Every single one. For civilians like us and the military.

However, L may eventually get to that same proven level of trustworthy, precise performance if they keep up this level of work. They are doing all the right things, consistently.

That was my only knock on the L when they first came out, my same knock on every new trigger; that it's new. But L has been putting in the work. They are on the right track. There's just no shortcut to obtaining that reputation of dead nuts reliability along with true precision.

L has been producing these for coming on a decade now IIRC. I have recommended them for SD/HD for friends.

AndyLate
02-24-19, 10:20
That makes sense, BufordTJustice.

I am running a BCM PNT in my "go-to" AR because I used mil-spec triggers for over 20 years.

My PNT is very smooth but has a heavy pull compared to the G2S and MBT in my range/precision/hunting guns (I know, single stage trigger vs 2 stage).

Andy

matemike
10-16-19, 13:20
Real world pull weights that I just measured with my Timney trigger spring scale

Mil Spec trigger that came pre-installed in BCM lower from G&R Tactical after ~2500 rounds dry firing in a vice block

5.9 lbs
6.3 lbs
6.0 lbs
6.0 lbs
6.1 lbs

MBT-2S immediately after self install dry firing in vice block

4.1 lbs
4.1 lbs
4.0 lbs
4.0 lbs
4.1 lbs

= About a two pound drop in total trigger pull weight from a broken in mil spec trigger. Much more smooth and crisp in my head. According to the numbers, a little more consistent as well.

WS6
10-19-19, 06:15
Pedigree of design and proven performance. They've been making triggers to a crazy high standard for a very long time. Every single one. For civilians like us and the military.

However, L may eventually get to that same proven level of trustworthy, precise performance if they keep up this level of work. They are doing all the right things, consistently.

That was my only knock on the L when they first came out, my same knock on every new trigger; that it's new. But L has been putting in the work. They are on the right track. There's just no shortcut to obtaining that reputation of dead nuts reliability along with true precision.

L has been producing these for coming on a decade now IIRC. I have recommended them for SD/HD for friends.

Not a fan of L, but his triggers are better at any price point than the G triggers, and the mark-up (haha) isn't nearly as heinous.

DCC83501
10-25-19, 14:38
My MBT 2S is not my favorite Larue trigger. I like the MBT 1S better. I'm not as practiced as some, but the reset on the MBT2S is not great and the first stage feels like nothing more than take up/slop to me. JMO.

WS6
10-25-19, 18:51
My MBT 2S is not my favorite Larue trigger. I like the MBT 1S better. I'm not as practiced as some, but the reset on the MBT2S is not great and the first stage feels like nothing more than take up/slop to me. JMO.

Use the heavy spring.

The MBT1s is terrible in my experience. I like my mil-spec triggers better. Less grit/creep/lighter. It's like a totally different company made the 1S than the 2S, which I find to be amazing.

mjb
10-27-19, 13:41
I agree with using the heavy spring, especially on a .308.

RHINOWSO
11-03-19, 14:02
I'm a big Geissele Trigger fan in my ARs, but am trying out a MBT-2S in my CM762 - installed with the light spring and it seems really nice for the money. Haven't been to the range with it yet but its a lot better then the OEM Colt trigger.

bamashooter
11-03-19, 14:45

Have the 2S but not installed yet (need to build something). For others using the light spring, is that your experience also?

ACE31
11-03-19, 16:45
Have (2) MBT2S both are great values for what they are. Yes there are better triggers out there but for under $90 its hard to beat them.

AndyLate
11-03-19, 17:04
I use two MBT2S triggers. The 1st stage with the standard spring is a short, light pull until it hits an obvious "wall". Reset is ok with the standard spring.

The heavy spring noticeably increases the first stage pull weight and makes the reset more firm.

I bought a G2S first, the MBT2S a few years later, and then a second MBT2S.

Andy