PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this upper?

Walker_Texasranger
02-03-19, 16:14
Custom upper from a vendor I’m about to pull the trigger on. Would get an aimpoint.

Aero upper
BA 14” Hanson barrel
BCM BCG
BCM 4b charging handle
Centurion CMR mlok rail 13”
Dead Air Armament flash hider pinned and welded

MegademiC
02-03-19, 16:20
Custom upper from a vendor I’m about to pull the trigger on. Would get an aimpoint.

Aero upper
BA 14” Hanson barrel
BCM BCG
BCM 4b charging handle
Centurion CMR mlok rail 13”
Dead Air Armament flash hider pinned and welded

Sounds decent, depending on price and if they assembled it properly.
2 things id look for right off the bat:
1. If you slide the bcg back and forth you should not feel the key hit the gas tube.
2. What gas block, what material, and how is it attached?

Wake27
02-03-19, 16:32
And what price? Quality factory uppers at competitive prices are not hard to find right now so it’d have to be a specific reason for me to buy some randomly assembled upper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walker_Texasranger
02-03-19, 17:20
And what price? Quality factory uppers at competitive prices are not hard to find right now so it’d have to be a specific reason for me to buy some randomly assembled upper.

The appealing part to me is a short barrel pinned and welded right off the bat. It’s a reputable vendor that builds these custom uppers. Not sure on the rules here and if I can name the venfor.

What factory upper recommendations do you have?

GH41
02-03-19, 17:52

Yea.. How much would be nice to know.

Iraqgunz
02-03-19, 19:08
This is still a buyer's market. Without more information we're pissing in the wind.

Walker_Texasranger
02-03-19, 19:54
It’s about a grand assembled.

dmd08
02-03-19, 20:11
That would be a hard pass for me.

JediGuy
02-03-19, 20:20
I’d estimate about $200 high, without checking themuzzle device value. Just one opinion, though, maybe it’s worth it to you for those exact items that you don’t have to assemble yourself.

MegademiC
02-03-19, 21:09
Last I checked bcm will perm muzzle attachements for you.
Tbh, its worth it imo if you run a supressor, but 14.5 a2x vs 16”a2 is not worth it.. my 2 cents.
More details about your future plans and what you are looking for might help us decide if thats a good buy or if there are better choices. I’d name the vendor, because who assembles it makes a difference. Its simple to assemble a good AR, but you have to know what youre doing and actually care. A lot of “local” shops fail.

Simple and easy are 2 very different things.

Walker_Texasranger
02-03-19, 21:26
Last I checked bcm will perm muzzle attachements for you.
Tbh, its worth it imo if you run a supressor, but 14.5 a2x vs 16”a2 is not worth it.. my 2 cents.
More details about your future plans and what you are looking for might help us decide if thats a good buy or if there are better choices. I’d name the vendor, because who assembles it makes a difference. Its simple to assemble a good AR, but you have to know what youre doing and actually care. A lot of “local” shops fail.

Simple and easy are 2 very different things.

Weapon Outfitters.

I agree. 14.5 a2x vs 16” a2 isn’t worth it. But once you get down to 13.7-14” that’s worth it to me.

Wake27
02-03-19, 23:27
Weapon Outfitters seems to be good, but you can get a lot of uppers for $1k. BCM absolutely comes to mind.

Stickman
02-04-19, 00:09
It’s about a grand assembled.

For one large, I would strongly consider buying a complete Centurion Arms carbine.

Stickman
02-04-19, 00:11
Roy from Weapons Outfitters is a good dude. Just pointing that out for people who might not know. Then again, Roy is a dirty snake for not at least making an occasional post over here. :)

fledge
02-04-19, 00:32
I like Weapon Outfitters. Roy is solid.

I have that same barrel with dead air pinned flash hider and centurion mlok rail. Less than 50 rounds. It’s installed on the new aero upper. Great barrel (I have 2).

I can beat that price by a long shot. PM me if you want to talk.

Iraqgunz
02-04-19, 00:37
I like Roy. He helped me get my first WA class started. But I have to agree with you. For that money there are just sooooo many options.

For one large, I would strongly consider buying a complete Centurion Arms carbine.

Vegas
02-04-19, 01:43

Everyday and twice on Sundays. Will retain it's value better also.

Walker_Texasranger
02-04-19, 07:59

I’ve been planning on getting one of those. But I’m limited to a 16” barrel with that because they don’t pin and weld.

Vegas
02-04-19, 08:40
I’ve been planning on getting one of those. But I’m limited to a 16” barrel with that because they don’t pin and weld.

Forget about the 1.5 inches your pin and weld will be shorter. Complete waste of money and makes no discernible difference. Spend that money on ammo.

MQ105
02-04-19, 09:11
I have to agree with 16 vs the 14.5, unless you just simply WANT a 14.5. Do you plan to run a suppressor?

Personally, I don't like pinning any MD because it makes working on the gun a pain.

Also, I think the Centurion is a great idea. If you must have 14.5, for whatever reason, pin the MD yourself (or have someone do it.)

DoubleW
02-04-19, 10:53
It’s all about proper assembly. Honestly, unless you assembled it and 100% know what you’re doing, there is ZERO reason not to buy a factory upper from a vetted manufacturer.

Wake27
02-04-19, 11:04
It’s all about proper assembly. Honestly, unless you assembled it and 100% know what you’re doing, there is ZERO reason not to buy a factory upper from a vetted manufacturer.

WO has a very good reputation from what I’ve seen. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them, it just doesn’t seem like the sum of those parts plus the assembly is worth the price.

GH41
02-04-19, 15:46
Weapon Outfitters.

I agree. 14.5 a2x vs 16” a2 isn’t worth it. But once you get down to 13.7-14” that’s worth it to me.

Does BA even make a 13.7 or 14" barrel?? If so the DA flash hider won't make either one 16". It will make a 14 1/2" barrel legal but barely.

hotrodder636
02-04-19, 16:03
Price seems on the high side. But if that is eveything you want with no more/no less, do it. With that said, you can get some pretty darned good uppers for less as previously mentioned.

fledge
02-04-19, 20:21
Does BA even make a 13.7 or 14" barrel?? If so the DA flash hider won't make either one 16". It will make a 14 1/2" barrel legal but barely.

The DA FH makes a 14” legal. That flash hider is 2.7” long!

BA discontinued their 14” barrels. WO is now sourcing Black River 14” barrels (which would be better than BA).

GH41
02-05-19, 07:32
The DA FH makes a 14” legal. That flash hider is 2.7” long!

BA discontinued their 14” barrels. WO is now sourcing Black River 14” barrels (which would be better than BA).

I stand corrected. The DA flash hider on the BRT barrel will be legal by .030 plus the thickness of the shim if you time it. GTG