PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of Cryogenics?

Wally
11-05-08, 21:24
I came across this and thought it was interesting. I know what it is, but never thought about the consequences in the firearms industry...

www.cryogenicsinternational.com

It would seen to increase in lifespan of barrels...

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Wally

hp35
11-05-08, 21:39
When I saw the title I thought for a moment we might be going a bit to far to avoid an Obama presidency. Glad to find out it's just barrel talk.

skyugo
11-05-08, 21:51
When I saw the title I thought for a moment we might be going a bit to far to avoid an Obama presidency. Glad to find out it's just barrel talk.

that was my first thought too. :o

dhrith
11-05-08, 22:09
Heard of it, think there's an element of the bench rest shooters into it, probably more luck on one of those boards. Bit of an application with machine tooling also.

lwoper
11-05-08, 22:11
not that it applies to guns, but i had a transmission shaft cyroed for my racecar and it broke on the first pass down the dragstrip

Wally
11-05-08, 22:37
This is not my company and I do not work there. I just thought it was interesting and was not sure where to post.

Wally

K.L. Davis
11-05-08, 23:28
Cryo treated barrels were all the rage many years back... It seems that in the last few years it has faded from popularity, other than those folks that are trying to wring every possible bit out of a barrel.

Dave L.
11-06-08, 05:11
I believe a Company called Diversified Cryogenics is the company that does all the JP barrels- it's pretty cheap too.

I would probably only bother with this on a magnum caliber bolt gun, but there are enough reasons to spend the $60 on more ammo.

cobra90gt
11-06-08, 09:44
not that it applies to guns, but i had a transmission shaft cyroed for my racecar and it broke on the first pass down the dragstrip

+1

I've read about similar stories regarding cryo treatments of aftermarket vehicle drivetrain parts. The extra costs associated for cryo treated parts is a toss up IMHO.

Perhaps the process is still being refined for firearm parts/barrels, but I don't see it as a "must have" when selecting a barrel. Cryo treatment does sound "good" in theory though...

YMMV

markm
11-06-08, 13:27
Didn't S.A.W. sell cryo treated mag springs a few years back? "red" springs I think they were called... because they were red. :p

fabulous45s
11-06-08, 20:40
It was all the rage for the varmint crowd in the '90s. Any self-respecting .220 swift or .22-250 shooter was getting their bull barrel or entire barreled action cryo'ed. I had my .22-250 and .17 Rem done after I raced through a .243 barrel by slinging 55grain bullets at @4100fps.

It seemed like good money sense for a varmint barrel. $60-$80 for an extra 500 or so rounds of minute-of-gnats ass, but for a chromed-lined, minute-of-center mass carbine, I'd just put the money aside for a new barrel.

C-Fish
11-06-08, 21:09
The brake rotors on my BMW are Cryo'd...;) Helps them not warp during track days...:D

batgeek
11-06-08, 22:12
we were all about cryo bats for slow pitch softball back in the mid 90s. until the USSSA outlawed them.

lwoper
11-08-08, 20:22
a place called 300 below did my stuff, i would not have any car parts treated again

tinman44
11-08-08, 21:22
yes i will volunteer for this, wake me up when we are a free country again......