PDA

View Full Version : Sig M18 Sets New Standard for Reliability Testing

WillBrink
02-05-19, 13:08
I have yet to shoot one of these Sigs myself:

SIG SAUER M18 Sets New Standard for U.S. Army’s Modular Handgun System (MHS) Reliability Testing

Historically, Lot Acceptance Testing would include testing handguns to 5,000 rounds and allow for up to 12 stoppages to pass. The recent MHS Material Reliability Test consisted of firing three M18 pistols to an unprecedented 12,000 rounds each, and in an extraordinary display of reliability, the M18 performed with zero stoppages. Additionally, despite undergoing this level of strenuous testing the M18 passed a parts interchange test, met all of the stringent accuracy and dispersion requirements, was tested for firing pin indent and trigger pull measurements to ensure consistency, and conformed to all workmanship standards.

The success of the MHS program, and the performance of both the M17 and M18 pistols, was further confirmed in the recently published Director of Operation Testing and Evaluation (DOT&E) Annual Report, which provides an independent review and analysis of the U.S. Department of Defense weapons systems. The report states that, “the MHS meets or exceeds requirements for accuracy, lethality, ergonomics, and safety,” in addition to stating that, “both the XM17 and the XM18 are operationally effective and suitable.”

http://soldiersystems.net/2019/02/05/sig-sauer-m18-sets-new-standard-for-u-s-armys-modular-handgun-system-mhs-reliability-testing/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

NWPilgrim
02-05-19, 14:31
Nice to see performance was actually a factor in selection and not just in which Senator’s state it would be manufactured.

12,000 rds without failure is impressive. Owning mainly Glocks I like stats like that. I started out with Sigs (P229, 220, 245) but they were too expensive for the gun and a quantity of mags for me to have my desired redundancy. It had the best DA/SA trigger in my opinion.

Now it seems with the P320 Sig has finally moved into the realm of affordability in quantity while still delivering top quality. The only thing I don’t care much for in the Glock is the trigger pull. I should check out a 320 and see if it worth migrating to. I like the modular frame approach. One gun can be full size or compact as needed, fit small or large hands. Great for various family members.

Firefly
02-05-19, 16:55
P320s make me angry and uncooperative.

CWM11B
02-05-19, 17:02
I'll reserve judgement until they have been widely fielded and exposed to end user abuse. The platform has had enough issues to give me pause.

WickedWillis
02-05-19, 19:02
I tried to like them, but just cannot do it. Trigger was nice, grip was lackluster. Could be the snappiest double stack polymer 9mm I have ever fired.
Love the P226, and even the P365 though.

RHINOWSO
02-05-19, 19:04
I'll reserve judgement until they have been widely fielded and exposed to end user abuse. The platform has had enough issues to give me pause.

Yup.

They are thick guns too - suitable for duty type carry but the grip options didn't work well for me, needing a large grip on a compact while I have very medium sized hands only made the gun bigger.

That and the firing while dropped thingy. Understand that's been fixed, but I'm still glad my 320s are history.

Texaspoff
02-06-19, 11:11
I still like the P320 platform overall, and still own two X Carrys and my original 2015 production 320 Carry. The drop issue did cause me some concern, especially how it was handled in the beginning. While it did rub me wrong, I am not holding a grudge towards the platform, the 320 didn't do it.

None of my 320's have ever failed, or had an issue. The were regularly used at the range when I train.

I did carry my Glock when the drop safe debacle occurred, but have found myself carrying my X carry more and more.

When the G45 came out, it was glock's answer to the Carry model as far as short slide and full grip. I found the G45 and 19X to be excellent for my intended purposes.

I have put my X carrys head to head with my G45's and I still find the X Carrys to work slightly better for me.

I was around when Glock first entered the LE market, and they were made fun of, had some serious growing pains and stumbled along the way. Here we are years later, and most have forgotten, or didn't even know about their history.

The P320 is following the same path, and is looking to have a solid future ahead of it.

The drop safety issue, and initial problems with the military will fade into history, and the P320 will continue to evolve and builds it reputation. I suspect the P320 and Glock will be the top dogs in the LE market moving into the future.

TXPO

cb805
02-06-19, 15:32
I’m really excited for the M18 and hope Sig proves all the nay sayers wrong!

WickedWillis
02-06-19, 15:49
I still like the P320 platform overall, and still own two X Carrys and my original 2015 production 320 Carry. The drop issue did cause me some concern, especially how it was handled in the beginning. While it did rub me wrong, I am not holding a grudge towards the platform, the 320 didn't do it.

None of my 320's have ever failed, or had an issue. The were regularly used at the range when I train.

I did carry my Glock when the drop safe debacle occurred, but have found myself carrying my X carry more and more.

When the G45 came out, it was glock's answer to the Carry model as far as short slide and full grip. I found the G45 and 19X to be excellent for my intended purposes.

I have put my X carrys head to head with my G45's and I still find the X Carrys to work slightly better for me.

I was around when Glock first entered the LE market, and they were made fun of, had some serious growing pains and stumbled along the way. Here we are years later, and most have forgotten, or didn't even know about their history.

The P320 is following the same path, and is looking to have a solid future ahead of it.

The drop safety issue, and initial problems with the military will fade into history, and the P320 will continue to evolve and builds it reputation. I suspect the P320 and Glock will be the top dogs in the LE market moving into the future.

TXPO

The X5 series all the way around improves my biggest gripes about the 320. If I had to own a 320, it would be an X5 no doubt.

ramairthree
02-06-19, 16:18
I tried to like them, but just cannot do it. Trigger was nice, grip was lackluster. Could be the snappiest double stack polymer 9mm I have ever fired.
Love the P226, and even the P365 though.

Well, they did accomplish what should be the impossible. Creating a striker fired gun to rival the bore axis of a 92 or 226.

I don’t think bore axis is that big of a deal with al metal, let alone all steel guns shooting 9mm barely over PF in Production/SSP.

Most of my NATO spec 9mm runs a PF about 150. In a smaller, lighter, G19 sized gun with a very high bore axis I could see how that snaps a little more flip than you want.

Edit- but to be honest, I have seen many people talking about the virtues of a trigger or low bore axis -
But then I get them to go to the range with me-
And they don’t shoot well or fast enough for say, a Langdon tuned 92G trigger to give them a benefit over DAO 92 D. Their transitions, splits, etc. just are not fast enough to benefit. Same thing with complaining of muzzle flip of a high bore axis 226, but they suck and flip like b movie actor with a Glock as well.

I’m cocky enough to say a DAO 92D does decrease my accuracy and speed vs a 92FS or G and that I really do find the bore axis of a 320 odd compared to a G34.
I’m honest enough to say I am not good enough the best tuned Langdon 92 trigger is going to make shoot awesome compared to a regular 92G with drop in D spring, or that I am going to kick ass with a CZ because of the lower bore axis than a 92.

jpmuscle
02-06-19, 16:33
Admittedly the X carry and x5 peaks my interested slightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwhitehorne
02-06-19, 16:36

TXPO

As do I, most don’t remember the dozens of large departments that had every pistol replaced. I laughed at all the internet drama. Imagine if the internet had been around when the G22 choked when you put a weapon light on it. Unfortunately anything new seems to have bugs. I’m glad Sig seems to have worked it out and is supplying our troops a good product. David

WillBrink
02-06-19, 17:58
As do I, most don’t remember the dozens of large departments that had every pistol replaced. I laughed at all the internet drama. Imagine if the internet had been around when the G22 choked when you put a weapon light on it. Unfortunately anything new seems to have bugs. I’m glad Sig seems to have worked it out and is supplying our troops a good product. David

Or when the early Glocks in .40 would go boom and Glock blamed it on user error while quietly reinforcing the chambers.

Texaspoff
02-06-19, 18:36
Admittedly the X carry and x5 peaks my interested slightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't shoot one, the X carry I mean. I was perfectly happy with my little ole 320 carry until I made that mistake.

Shot the X5 at shot show 2016 Sig Range day when it was still a prototype and being marketed at the 320 Target model. It is what started me eyeing the X carry and when it was released, and I shot it, it was all over.

TXPO

jsbhike
02-06-19, 19:46

The railed guns came out in 1998 so the internet was around. Used to be on a glock email list and the .40 kaboom was known to be an issue. Generally, the 2nd gen 17 was considered to be the most reliable.