PDA

View Full Version : Gavin Mcinnes sues the SPLC

Averageman
02-05-19, 13:16
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/feb/5/gavin-mcinnes-proud-boys-founder-sues-splc-over-ha/
Gavin McInnes, the founder of the Proud Boys, sued the Southern Poverty Law Center on Monday for allegedly damaging his career by labeling him an “extremist” and “leader of a hate group.”

Filed in federal court in Montgomery, Alabama, the 61-page complaint entered on behalf of Mr. McInnes accuses the SPLC, a civil rights watchdog group, of mounting a “campaign of destruction” against the right-wing media personality and provocateur over his involvement in the Proud Boys, a fraternal organization of self-described “western chauvinists” he launched in 2016.

“They have harassed me, my family and my friends to a level of tortious interference that goes well into sabotage,” Mr. McInnes, 48, said in a statement. “I am doing this, not just to protect my reputation and my family but to protect everyone else’s.”

The lawsuit alleges defamation, tortious interference and other counts stemming from the SPLC’s reporting on Mr. McInnes and the Proud Boys, including the latter’s addition last year to the watchdog’s “Hate Map,” an online listing of hundreds of “active hate groups.”

My take;
Well it's about time someone challenged them to put up or shut up.

NWPilgrim
02-05-19, 14:17
I have no idea what his group is about but good to see somebody taking SPLC to court over their biased labeling of groups they don’t like with the all-purpose “hate group”.

docsherm
02-05-19, 15:02
The SPLC IS and extremists group and one of the most destructive organizations against freedom in the US.

SteyrAUG
02-05-19, 15:58
The SPLC IS an extremists group and one of the most destructive organizations against freedom in the US.

Yep, ironically this is what happens when you run out of dragons.

The SPLC fought the "real" klan back when it was an actual thing, but when they destroyed it they were unable to end their crusade and started going after people who weren't a dragon.

Similarly the samurai, once disbanded, had large segments become the modern yakuza. The secret societies founded by Shaolin monks to fight the Manchu invaders evolved into the triads.

Firefly
02-05-19, 16:40
I wish they would RICO their asses back to the stone age....

SteyrAUG
02-05-19, 21:03

The ACLU would just step in to defend them. It would be powerful irony for sure, but probably what would happen.

soulezoo
02-05-19, 21:08
Not sure that's irony. It would be ironic to have ACLU represent Gavin.

docsherm
02-05-19, 21:40

Amen brother, amen

jsbhike
02-05-19, 21:48
Yep, ironically this is what happens when you run out of dragons.

The SPLC fought the "real" klan back when it was an actual thing, but when they destroyed it they were unable to end their crusade and started going after people who weren't a dragon.

Similarly the samurai, once disbanded, had large segments become the modern yakuza. The secret societies founded by Shaolin monks to fight the Manchu invaders evolved into the triads.

Maybe they started with good intentions, or maybe like Mencken said,

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it."