PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Lion attack

TomMcC
02-05-19, 16:04
Man this sounds like one hellacious fight to death.

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2019/02/05/colorado-trail-runner-kills-mountain-lion-with-his-bare-hands/

Jog with a gun and/or a big knife.

platoonDaddy
02-05-19, 19:10
Man this sounds like one hellacious fight to death.

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2019/02/05/colorado-trail-runner-kills-mountain-lion-with-his-bare-hands/

Jog with a gun and/or a big knife.

Agree!

He is VERY lucky! I don't understand running the Mountain Trails without any means to protect yourself other than your hands. Just doesn't make sense.

Coal Dragger
02-05-19, 20:02
Hope he gets to keep the cat.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-05-19, 20:05
Heck, something for two legged predators...

The Rat
02-05-19, 20:13
Imagine the pickup lines that guy can pull now.

"Ayy girl, I just choked out a mountain lion. How about letting me choke a cougar?"

TomMcC
02-05-19, 20:51
I was thinkin he was going to have an awesome story to tell his grand children. It's a modern mountain man story.

26 Inf
02-05-19, 21:36
After I read The victim was “attacked from behind,” according to a report, all I got to say is:

TomMcC
02-05-19, 21:48
Funny, Calvin and Hobbes was one of my favorite strips along with Bloom county.

26 Inf
02-05-19, 23:31
Funny, Calvin and Hobbes was one of my favorite strips along with Bloom county.

Yep, got every compilation of Calvin and Hobbes that has been printed. I was pretty upset when Watterson 'retired.'

Just so everyone knows what a subversive I am, I'm also pretty sure I have every compilation of Doonesbury that has been printed.

grnamin
02-06-19, 05:33
I'd like to know if it was a two-handed choke or a head lock type. Just trying to imagine...

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Circle_10
02-06-19, 06:06
Yep, got every compilation of Calvin and Hobbes that has been printed. I was pretty upset when Watterson 'retired.'

I had the whole collection as well, although some of them have since been lost to the ages. I might buy the big boxed collection at some point.
I really identified with Calvin when I was a kid.
As big of a bummer as Watterson's retirement was, in a way I think he made the right decision to pull the plug while the strip was still really good vs letting it go on and on for thirty years and becoming tired and stale like a lot of other newspaper comics have. There's something to be said for going out on top.

flenna
02-06-19, 07:02
I'd like to know if it was a two-handed choke or a head lock type. Just trying to imagine...

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Either way it is still like trying to hold onto a running chainsaw without using the handle.

Adrenaline_6
02-06-19, 08:46
He is lucky it was a juvenile. I don't think he would have fared as well if it wasn't. Still badass nonetheless.

moonshot
02-06-19, 09:24
Just so everyone knows what a subversive I am, I'm also pretty sure I have every compilation of Doonesbury that has been printed.

But do you have a copy of the Original Yale cartoons?

TomMcC
02-06-19, 10:31
Either way it is still like trying to hold onto a running chainsaw without using the handle.

No kidding, cats are really fast creatures when they're on the attack. Even nasty domesticated cats give me pause let alone a 80-100ib mountain lion. I'm glad the guy prevailed.

Bulletdog
02-06-19, 10:37
I work with big cats. This is almost too hard to believe. Mt. lions can take down 1000 pound elk. I can't believe this human was not only able to fight it off, but to kill it bare handed? Something doesn't add up. Imagine the damage that would be done if you tried to strangle a house cat. Now multiply that by 20 or 30 times.

Wow. Simply astounding if its true. The guy must be ripped to shreds by the hooks.

tb-av
02-06-19, 10:50
I work with big cats. This is almost too hard to believe. Mt. lions can take down 1000 pound elk. I can't believe this human was not only able to fight it off, but to kill it bare handed? Something doesn't add up. Imagine the damage that would be done if you tried to strangle a house cat. Now multiply that by 20 or 30 times.

Wow. Simply astounding if its true. The guy must be ripped to shreds by the hooks.

I can't in my wildest imagination trying to suffocate a mountain lion. Young or old.

B Cart
02-06-19, 10:55
That guy has some massive cajones. I've seen mountain lions manhandle large deer with ease. They are extremely strong. Article says he hit it with a rock multiple times and then choked it to death, but that he also came away with multiple lacerations to his face and body. I'm sure that was some fight.

I always carry my Glock 20 10mm with a light when I hunt deer and elk, and ironically the one time I didn't I had a big mountain lion come out on the trail I was on in the dark and stopped about 20 yards from me. I had my muzzleloader unloaded and strapped to my pack since it was an hour before light, so I had nothing readily accessible to defend myself. The lion stood there looking at me for about 10 seconds and then crept into some bushes. I promptly loaded my muzzle loader, but luckily never saw it again.

Another time I was making fresh tracks up a trail in the snow, hunting elk, and when I came back down a few hours later, there were very large mountain lion tracks in the snow behind my tracks that kept crossing the trail over my tracks. Looked like it was stalking me, but I never heard or saw it. They are smart animals. Glad that guy came out alive

Averageman
02-06-19, 10:58
No kidding, cats are really fast creatures when they're on the attack. Even nasty domesticated cats give me pause let alone a 80-100ib mountain lion. I'm glad the guy prevailed.

I caught a Bobcat in a Coyote trap one time. That SOB was fifteen pounds of snarling scratching and biting.
I can't imagine something with the same temperament and coming in at 80 or 90 pounds in a wrestling match.

My Ex jogs in the mornings in Tucson, she swears she has seen a mountain lion in the suburbs just casually walking on fences and roof tops.

Circle_10
02-06-19, 12:33

There are a few accounts out there from Africa or Asia of people getting jumped by leopards and managing to kill them with their bare hands.
If the cougar the dude killed was young, inexperienced and small, which seems to be the case, it's not impossible it just screwed up its attack and ended up in a position where it's intended meal got the upper hand. Young cougars also get killed by deer and elk, or have trouble subduing raccoons and small dogs when they botch an attack. There is a definite learning curve to being a predator.

platoonDaddy
02-06-19, 13:07
Speaking of massive cajones, this Idaho woman restrained her dog & mountain lion

"The woman restrained both her dog and the mountain lion while yelling for her husband, who was still inside the house, to grab a gun. Her husband responded and quickly dispatched the mountain lion as she held on to it," the Idaho Department of Fish and Game (IDFG) described in a news release Monday.

Local police officers and a wildlife official arrived on the scene roughly 30 minutes later. The responding officer from the IDFG recovered the roughly 35-pound juvenile mountain lion's body and confirmed the carcass would be sent to a nearby lab for testing.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/idaho-woman-accidentally-grabs-mountain-lion-during-attempt-to-break-up-dog-fight

TomMcC
02-06-19, 13:17
Speaking of massive cajones, this Idaho woman restrained her dog & mountain lion

"The woman restrained both her dog and the mountain lion while yelling for her husband, who was still inside the house, to grab a gun. Her husband responded and quickly dispatched the mountain lion as she held on to it," the Idaho Department of Fish and Game (IDFG) described in a news release Monday.

Local police officers and a wildlife official arrived on the scene roughly 30 minutes later. The responding officer from the IDFG recovered the roughly 35-pound juvenile mountain lion's body and confirmed the carcass would be sent to a nearby lab for testing.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/idaho-woman-accidentally-grabs-mountain-lion-during-attempt-to-break-up-dog-fight

Looks like you should never go outside and not be strapped. And i forgot that bears and big cats have been known to go into people's houses, just be strapped all the time I suppose.

kerplode
02-06-19, 14:07
Eh...You're much more likely to be killed while driving to the trail head by a drunk or some tween on twitface than by a bear/mountain lion/Chupacabra/whatever.

TomMcC
02-06-19, 14:19
Eh...You're much more likely to be killed while driving to the trail head by a drunk or some tween on twitface than by a bear/mountain lion/Chupacabra/whatever.

True, but it does happen to people, and it might happen to someone here. It's like crime, it probably won't happen to you, but it does happen to people and that's why they are armed.

flenna
02-06-19, 17:19
Looks like you should never go outside and not be strapped. And i forgot that bears and big cats have been known to go into people's houses, just be strapped all the time I suppose.

Mountain lions and bears are moving out of the mountains into more populated areas. There has been mountain lion sightings in my area, including by my wife. But when we reported it to TWRA they were like "nahh, there aren't any around here"; my neighbors got the same treatment. And about a mile down the road a bear went after our friend's dogs.

B52U
02-07-19, 11:15
Another article that shows how it is possible to wrangle a young mountain lion:

https://kutv.com/news/nation-world/idaho-woman-breaking-up-dog-fight-grabs-young-mountain-lion

Circle_10
02-07-19, 11:47
Another article that shows how it is possible to wrangle a young mountain lion:

https://kutv.com/news/nation-world/idaho-woman-breaking-up-dog-fight-grabs-young-mountain-lion

That one was 35 pounds apparently.
While any cat can rip you up pretty good, I think once you're dealing with a cat of about 50lbs or so, that's where they, for the most part, start getting pretty unmanageable without a weapon.

I love cats personally, they are some of nature's most highly evolved killing machines, but really the only reason they are safe to have as pets at all is because of their size.
Do you have a 50lb or 100lb dog you trust, that sleeps on the bed with you or plays with your kids? Would any sane person trust a cat of that size in their household? At 100 lbs we are in the adult cougar or leopard zone, and there's no way I'd sleep soundly with one of those loose in the house all night, no matter how "tame" it is.
Even a domestic housecat, simply scaled up to the size of a German Shepherd would be too dangerous an animal to keep in your home.

Bulletdog
02-07-19, 23:12
Do you have a 50lb or 100lb dog you trust, that sleeps on the bed with you or plays with your kids? Would any sane person trust a cat of that size in their household? At 100 lbs we are in the adult cougar or leopard zone, and there's no way I'd sleep soundly with one of those loose in the house all night, no matter how "tame" it is.
Even a domestic housecat, simply scaled up to the size of a German Shepherd would be too dangerous an animal to keep in your home.

Yeah. I know people that do this. Best black leopards in the business until they died of old age. Another friend has/had a few lynx and bobcats that would share the enclosed patio during happy hour.

Me? No. No thank you. The killing machines can stay outside in their cages. The bedside is reserved for the malinois.

Adrenaline_6
02-08-19, 09:48
A large dog can definitely kill some people, especially the older and younger. Now 2 dogs...unless you have a weapon available, your odds are very slim. The difference is the pack mentality. Cats don't have it like dogs, those bastards can never be fully trusted. There always that chance that the bi-polar kicks in.

sundance435
02-08-19, 10:38
Mountain lions and bears are moving out of the mountains into more populated areas. There has been mountain lion sightings in my area, including by my wife. But when we reported it to TWRA they were like "nahh, there aren't any around here"; my neighbors got the same treatment. And about a mile down the road a bear went after our friend's dogs.

That's my state DNR's take on them, but with a wink and a nod, even though they are protected again after not having been sighted in 75-100 years.

That one was 35 pounds apparently.
While any cat can rip you up pretty good, I think once you're dealing with a cat of about 50lbs or so, that's where they, for the most part, start getting pretty unmanageable without a weapon.

I love cats personally, they are some of nature's most highly evolved killing machines, but really the only reason they are safe to have as pets at all is because of their size.

There was some study done recently about cats that got a little buzz - their conclusion: Your housecat would kill you if it was bigger. Big cats are fascinating, but I would never treat anything the size of a bobcat or larger as a true pet, "domesticated" or not. Funny that I don't think twice about allowing my 110lb Rottweiler into bed (well, he allows me use part of it, anyway). It took thousands of years to domesticate dogs to the point they're at now and there's a degree of co-dependency, but cats didn't go through the same process. I can count on one hand the number of "neat" pet cats I've seen in my life, and they were only neat because they acted like a dog.

B52U
02-14-19, 16:45
Here is the recorded interview with the survivor. He used his foot on the cats neck to suffocate the cat while it had his right wrist in its jaws.

https://kutv.com/news/nation-world/watch-trail-runner-who-fought-off-mountain-lion-attack-shares-his-survival-story

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-14-19, 17:23
My son and I went hiking in that same area today. I certainly was more vigilant than I ever was before. Normally, we just watch out for the occasional rattler, but now we keep our eyes peeled for that highly unlikely encounter with Colorado's apex predator.