PDA

View Full Version : Radio host "Doc" Thompson - RIP

tb-av
02-06-19, 10:21
Not sure how many people every listened to this guy. He used to be the afternoon drive time guy on the conservative radio here in Central VA.

He was one of the good ones. Not sure what happened but he got married several years ago to a girl named Yuna and I think she was also in media maybe on the TV side ( weather maybe, I can't recall ). Anyway, they go off on their honeymoon and he was canned. Never did hear why. So he stayed positive and Glenn Beck picked him up. He also has subbed for Rush Limbaugh.

Apparently yesterday he was out running and was hit by a train! How that happened I can't imagine unless he had earbuds in. Just saw this looking at one of Glenn Beck's media pages.

https://www.wowo.com/syndicated-radio-host-doc-thompson-dead-at-50/

Beck just confirmed he was running at night with earbuds in somewhere in TX.

"Doc" had left the Glenn Beck system to start his own company known as Mojo5.0 . Invested all his money in it. 2 kids and wife. She is a news anchor.

Honu
02-06-19, 12:31
sad but who jogs along side train tracks with ear buds in ?
sometimes I just have to shake my head at the stupidity of people again sad yes but %100 avoidable by common sense

titsonritz
02-06-19, 12:58
Maybe he pissed of the Clintons and had help.

tb-av
02-06-19, 14:01

That's what I was wondering. He was a pretty sharp guy and didn't take any grief off anyone. In fact he used to say on the air, he was 6'5", educated on most of the current affairs and if anyone ever needed someone to go speak / confront groups in a civil public setting he was ready. He could get pretty intense with some callers. Haven't really heard him in years but he was seriously anti-left. It seems so bizarre and I expect the engine had to have hit him otherwise, hear i tor not, you damn sure would see it once the engine passed you. So he never saw the light and never hear the whistle ( if the driver saw him and sounded it )

It also sounded like this was his running route.

Honu
02-06-19, 14:46

sadly that could be a truth to

Coal Dragger
02-06-19, 16:15
That's what I was wondering. He was a pretty sharp guy and didn't take any grief off anyone. In fact he used to say on the air, he was 6'5", educated on most of the current affairs and if anyone ever needed someone to go speak / confront groups in a civil public setting he was ready. He could get pretty intense with some callers. Haven't really heard him in years but he was seriously anti-left. It seems so bizarre and I expect the engine had to have hit him otherwise, hear i tor not, you damn sure would see it once the engine passed you. So he never saw the light and never hear the whistle ( if the driver saw him and sounded it )

It also sounded like this was his running route.

He was foolish for trespassing on RR property, and now he’s paid the price. I have sympathy for his family and other loved ones.

Hope the Engineer and Conductor on that train are alright, and their road offers counseling and time off for traumatic events with pay if needed.

tb-av
02-06-19, 16:31
Unfortunately that is true. The section of track I saw the officials standing at looked quite steep too. I don't even see how you could run on it.

Look at this vid.... https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Man-Struck-Killed-by-Amtrak-Train-Identified-as-Conservative-Radio-Host-Michael-Doc-Thompson-505465451.html

Then look at this angle in the picture mid page.... https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/02/06/texas-talk-radio-host-michael-doc-thompson-identified-struck-train/

Why in the world would anyone run up by the tracks? Unless maybe he was crossing them.

I used to walk across this as a kid and those little pill boxes were just big enough to jump in. Two tracks up there and you had better be looking both ways because those trains would come out of the trees and the next thing you know they are right there. We had to run for the boxes.

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/richmond-railroad-bridge-over-james-river-concrete-arch-spanning-was-built-atlantic-coast-line-fredericksburg-57461363.jpg

jsbhike
02-06-19, 18:18
I always wonder just how accidental many train hits are.

tb-av
02-06-19, 18:21
Well, there's that.....

Hmm... I know he was married before and his wife was either into drugs or messing around IIRC... Now he lives in TX and Yuna is an anchor in Arkansas. You never know... maybe things were not all sunshine. He seemed like a pretty upbeat guy though. He actually had 3 kids. One from first and two with her. Just started a new business. You have to really want to end it to walk into a train.