PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Questions?

Shihan
11-05-08, 23:18
Ok guys I have buckets of fired brass so I figure its time to get the components to go with the brass. Im good on projectiles but what type and sizes of primers do you recomend for.

9mm

.45acp

Thanks

markm
11-06-08, 07:33
For 5.56 I use ANYTHING... REM, CCI, WIN... whatever. I haven't noticed any significant differences for use in bulk reloads. Just whatever's cheapest or easiest to get.

m4fun
11-09-08, 08:55
Agree with Demigod. I for some reason keep going to CCI 400s. Never really could justify a reason to use the harder "military" primers.

I am thinking of try Wolf primers next - they seem to be "cheaper" and I have not heard anything bad about them(at least no one is claiming the primers are gunking up their gas tubes yet ;))

tiger seven
11-09-08, 09:27
I agree with the previous two posts. For basic "blasting ammo" I too have used a variety of Small Rifle primers with 5.56 and have never noticed any differences that would make me prefer a certain brand. They've all worked fine. I just buy whatever I find on sale.

I haven't loaded much .45 ACP, although I did load a fair amount of .45 Auto Rim when I had a S&W 1917. The only primers I can recall using for either were Winchester Large Pistol primers, and I never had any problems with them.

I have never loaded 9mm so I have nothing to offer on that.

Derek

Storydude
11-09-08, 16:51
Size? Well, the ones that fit of course.

I use nothing but small rifle and large rifle for all my reloads. cuts down on inventory.

As long as you have a decent mainspring, you'll have no problem using rifle for pistol. just don't use pistol for rifle. Of course, you must work up loads for using rifle in pistol, but that's 1/2 the fun.

Shihan
11-13-08, 18:17
Im asking what sizes do I need?

LMT4me
11-13-08, 19:02
5.56 = Small rifle primers

9mm = Small pistol primers

.45ACP = Large pistol primers

As stated above, brand is not a sigificant issue with good springs. (IMHO)

epete
11-13-08, 19:07
Ok guys I have buckets of fired brass so I figure its time to get the components to go with the brass. Im good on projectiles but what type and sizes of primers do you recomend for.

5.56 -- Small Rifle, CCI #400, Federal #205, Winchester #6 1/2

9mm -- Small Pistol, CCI #500, Federal #100, Winchester #1 1/2

.45acp -- Large Pistol, CCI #300, Federal #150, Winchester #7

Thanks

I like Winchester primers, but they will all do the job. Your press manufacturer and reloading manual may have some recommendation about a brand. There are a few caveats to this certain brands 45 ACP use Small Pistol Primers, such as Win NT or Amerc. Pitch these, not worth the aggravation. Certain types of powder DEMAND a certain type of primer. Most of these pertain to magnums and doesn't apply here. When in doubt follow the manual.

SingleStacker45
11-13-08, 20:03
I have been reloading for about 10 years and have mostly used winchester. I have loaded mostly for pistol in 45 caliber but have recently started loading 556 and 9mm. Recently I have switched to federal primers for pistol but still use winchester for rifle. I had some light strikes on some overly tuned glocks in the pistol and the federal seem to be more reliable.

Mule

chadbag
11-13-08, 22:56
I am thinking of try Wolf primers next - they seem to be "cheaper" and I have not heard anything bad about them(at least no one is claiming the primers are gunking up their gas tubes yet ;))

I've heard lots of good things about the Wolf primers

I have a bunch but have not tried them yet

Chad

twodollarbill
11-14-08, 20:37
I run Dillion 1050 loaders and Winchester primers seem to be alittle rough around the rim.
Winchesters would hangup and cause a jamb at the worst time.
So I switched and only use Remington primers with NO PROBLEMS.

Shihan
11-19-08, 20:43
Thanks guys

jmart
11-19-08, 22:09
For .223, Rem 7 1/2's. They're priced right and they are tough. I never worry about flattened primers.

Win are a bit softer. Recommend you avoid these if loading max loads.

CCI's are GTG also, but they are pricier than 7 1/2's.