PDA

View Full Version : Spike's .22lr Conversion Kit?

Bimmer
11-06-08, 00:32
I've now seen a half dozen positive reviews of CMMG's .22lr conversion kit on the errornet (just like Ciener's without the bugs, and without the jerk), and I'm about to tell Santa Claus that I want one.

Then I saw Spike's Tactical's conversion kit, which is also due for release this month. It costs the same ($199), and at least according to Spike's website, it sounds like a significantly better design and execution than the Ciener or CMMG kits:

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26&products_id=176

I have no idea. I've never even seen one of these kits in the flesh. Can any of you who know anything about .22 kits shed some light on this? Should I wait for the Spike's kit, or are their "improvements" just Kool-Aid? Spike's seems to the be-all/end-all of .22lr ARs, but a lot of their stuff looks pretty airsoft-esque to me.

Please advise,

Bimmer

Logic
11-06-08, 03:09
Based on the quote below from Spikes, these are some of the differences as compared to the CMMG kit. Also, the Spikes kit has an option for the auot- trip which the CMMG doesn't seem to have currently.

"O rings on the chamber adapter to keep the bolt centered in the .223 or 5.56 chamber and to increase the back pressure by sealing the adapter and not allowing so much carbon and gases to blow back, it also comes with a solid plug to take the place of your gas tube for those of you who shoot a lot or want to dedicate your 2.23 or 5.56 upper to .22lr. Of course, these will come with the electroless nickel finish that is on our current dedicated .22lr bolt. "

lindertw
11-06-08, 06:12
I'm curious how that o-ring will hold up... there should be some pics here (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=124&t=399954) when they get the parts back from plating.

Get it and let us know how it runs :D

Bimmer
11-06-08, 11:08
Hi,

Yes, Logic, I saw the paragraph on Spike's website describing their upgrades. I have no need for an auto-trip, and I don't want to plug my gas tube.

Again, I don't know anything about these conversion kits or their weak points. These seem like they might good upgrades to me, but like lindertw, I'm wondering how the (rubber?) O-rings will hold up.

I'm also wondering whether O-rings and chrome plating are just kool-aid. It occurs to me that most of the filth that winds up in the receiver comes out of the breech, not around the chamber adaptor, and it seems to me that a properly dimensioned chamber adaptor should center itself pretty well (and these conversions are never going to be very accurate, anyway), so I'm not sure how the O-rings will really make a difference.

Teach me,

Bimmer

Bimmer
12-04-08, 11:24
Did Spikes ever begin shipping these? Or is this just vaporware?

The website still says they WILL start shipping in November, but I haven't heard of anybody who's actually seen one.

exitinyourhead
12-04-08, 11:55
*second hand info*

buddy of mine has one on order with spikes. He spoke with them on the phone and the spikes rep told him they have shipped the first batch and will ship second batch within the next 7 business days.

I'll encourage him to post when i speak to him later. He's a member here as well.

austinN4
12-04-08, 12:11
It occurs to me that most of the filth that winds up in the receiver comes out of the breech, not around the chamber adaptor, and it seems to me that a properly dimensioned chamber adaptor should center itself pretty well (and these conversions are never going to be very accurate, anyway), so I'm not sure how the O-rings will really make a difference.
I can't tell you about the O-ring or the Spike's, but I can tell you that my CMMG got about 700 rounds of Federal #750 thru it on Sunday. I just cleaned it and my upper before writing this and I was surprised how clean both still were. Didn't seem much different to me than if I had been shooting 5.56.

Edited to add: And, oh yeah, not one failure to feed, chamber, fire or extract with the CMMG on Sunday.

Bimmer
12-04-08, 12:13
Thanks!

Spike's says on TOS that they're shipping these, but that they've received over 1,000 orders and are backlogged...

I'm yet to see a review of one of Spike's kits, though.

GIFFMANN
12-04-08, 22:43
I ordered a dealer sample out of the 2nd batch of Spike's conversions. I also ordered up the f/a upgrade as I've got some guys with M-16s who are interested. Once it comes in, we'll be scheduling a range session and I'll report back.

We'll be running it on a dedicated .22 upper, a 1x9 KAC barrelled upper, a 1x7 Denny's uppper and one other upper, at least. We'll also be using it with an M4-1000, and M4-2000 and a Pilot, IIRC.

Really hoping for good things on this.

Spikes-Rep
12-07-08, 16:13
We should have a bunch of conversions shipping this week.

-Tom

austinN4
12-07-08, 19:02
We should have a bunch of conversions shipping this week.-Tom
But I thought you said in the other thread that a dedicated upper was the way to go?:D

A dedicated upper is definitly the best way to go.-Tom

Spikes-Rep
12-07-08, 19:07
But I thought you said in the other thread that a dedicated upper was the way to go?:D

A dedicated upper is the way to go.

austinN4
12-08-08, 06:17
A dedicated upper is the way to go.
For some folks yes, and for some folks no, a conversion will work just fine. Right? Otherwise, why are you selling them?

Spikes-Rep
12-08-08, 09:44
For some folks yes, and for some folks no, a conversion will work just fine. Right? Otherwise, why are you selling them?

Of course a conversion will work just fine. For most people a conversion may be fine. It really depends on what type of shooting your going to be doing. The reason we are making drop in conversions is b/c everyone asked for them not b/c we liked them. That is the reason we made dedicated uppers from day one.

At the same time we tryed to make the best conversion with the most features on the market.

-Tom

testudo
12-08-08, 10:15
I have one of the Spike's kits on order. I'll post pics and give some feedback when it gets here.

Also the kit is NOT chromed, it has a nickel finish.

Spikes-Rep
12-09-08, 02:21
I have one of the Spike's kits on order. I'll post pics and give some feedback when it gets here.

Also the kit is NOT chromed, it has a nickel finish.

+1 its definitly a Nickel Finish.

Vic303
12-09-08, 08:22
Hmm...I'd like to see some user reviews too. I could probably afford a conversion kit.

DialTone301
12-22-08, 06:15
Anyone actually using one of the new Spikes kits? If so how about posting a review for the rest of us?

trukreltrog
12-22-08, 13:22
I can't tell you about the O-ring or the Spike's, but I can tell you that my CMMG got about 700 rounds of Federal #750 thru it on Sunday. I just cleaned it and my upper before writing this and I was surprised how clean both still were. Didn't seem much different to me than if I had been shooting 5.56.

Edited to add: And, oh yeah, not one failure to feed, chamber, fire or extract with the CMMG on Sunday.

I believe the O-rings are more to aid in the accuracy department, than to keep crud out of the receiver. One of the Ceiner weak parts is the rail, they break.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/trukreltrog/nfe/DSC00442.jpg

DialTone301
12-27-08, 07:27
Still no review of the new Spikes kit?

I guess I will order the CMMG. Any idea of the wait time for the CMMG?

redtazdog
12-27-08, 10:59
I have 4 Ciener kits, 1 Spikes without the smooth bore chamber, 2 CMMG's,
1 TacSol without the smooth bore And just recvd a new Spikes with the smooth bore chamber with Orings.
I have taken the smooth bore chamber adapters on 2 of my Ciener kits
and cut Oring grooves before Spikes came out with this improvement.
I have had no problems of any with the Orings, but I do get better groups.
Save a few more dollars and get the Spikes, Nickle finish is easy to clean,
Orings help to seal the chamber and keep the adapter locked in center of a 223 chamber better, no need for alot of lube if any at all, Great customer service if you have problems and they have done most of the work for you when it comes to a Quality product that runs good.
If you buy a Ciener or a CMMG and you want to use standard vel or sub ammo
then you will need to do some polishing, fine tuning to use standard vel or sub ammo.
I have polished and fine tuned many 22lr kits for ammo that the Spikes
will run with only minor tuning to the springs.
A+1 for the Spikes if you dont like to work on your kit.
A+1 for the Ciener or CMMG if you dont mind doing some work on
the 22 kit.

austinN4
12-27-08, 11:00
Still no review of the new Spikes kit? I guess I will order the CMMG. Any idea of the wait time for the CMMG?
Who knows now, but I ordered my CMMG on 11/4 and received it on 11/26. Remember, no matter the wait, the sooner you order it the sooner you will get it!

redtazdog
12-27-08, 11:13
Who knows now, but I ordered my CMMG on 11/4 and received it on 11/26. Remember, no matter the wait, the sooner you order it the sooner you will get it!
You will like your CMMG if you only shoot HiVel ammo and dont use a can.
The Ciener and CMMG are both the same in size weight and looks, only thing diferent is a small angle on the front of the extracter and the Ciener has 2 more
welds at the rear of the frame spring plate.
I have taken both of them apart, swapped parts, measured and tested both.
My extra parts from Blackdog Machine fit the CMMG and the Ciener.
I olso have a Spikes and it looks like a Ciener and the CMMG but with a
nice nickle finish and Orings on the chamber adapter and other small changes that the average 22 kt user wouldnt notice.

austinN4
12-27-08, 11:32
A+1 for the Ciener or CMMG if you dont mind doing some work on the 22 kit.
My CMMG required no tinkering whatsoever, unless you call periodic cleaning tinkering. It runs like a Swiss watch on Federal # 750.

DialTone301
12-27-08, 12:52
I have never bought anything from Spikes or CMMG....any problems with customer service from either?

How often would the o-rings on the Spikes need to be replaced? Are they a common size/type that would be easily obtained?

Is the accuracy noticeably affected by the addition of the o-rings.

Thanks

redtazdog
12-27-08, 14:19
My CMMG required no tinkering whatsoever, unless you call periodic cleaning tinkering. It runs like a Swiss watch on Federal # 750.

Should be no problems unless you try some Standard Vel or Subsonic ammo
then you will need to tinker and tune for a 100% runner.

redtazdog
12-27-08, 14:32
I have never bought anything from Spikes or CMMG....any problems with customer service from either?

How often would the o-rings on the Spikes need to be replaced? Are they a common size/type that would be easily obtained?

Is the accuracy noticeably affected by the addition of the o-rings.

Thanks
Both Spikes and CMMG have Great cutomer service, unlike Ciener that has
very much no customer service.
The Oring does help with Improved groups or I wouldnt have chucked my
Cieners up in the lathe and cut the grooves for Orings myself.
My Orings have lasted over 2 years so far so I dont think
Spikes will need replacing anytime soon.
The Spikes kit will still shoot and run as good as the Ciener's or the CMMG's
without the Orings.
You can use the Spikes without the Orings installed if they do ever break
and Orings are cheap and easy to find if you dont want to bother with
Spikes Cutomer service.

HK_Shooter_03
01-17-09, 18:55
I'm waiting on mine. I'll post back when I get it.

I'mGatMan!
02-12-09, 09:02
Any new info or experiences here?