PDA

View Full Version : Should I bring this up to DD attention

Gtorq21
02-08-19, 22:17
Hey guys. I know these rifles are meant to take abuse and run great. I treated myself to this rifle to take training courses, home defense and shtf. I understand cosmetic issue do not affect function nor are a big deal. But in another aspect I also spent good money on a quality rifle and this stands out to me. Appreciate input

Gtorq21
02-08-19, 22:19
I'll be honest trying to figure out how to put a picture on here. Any help with this is appreciate it

Wake27
02-08-19, 22:48
You have to use an image hosting site. What is it, a scratch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gtorq21
02-09-19, 09:32
it's the raised area on the left hand side of the firearm by mag release on the upper and lower that don't line up.

02-09-19, 09:44
It sounds like something that does not affect function, correct?

Send a kindly worded e-mail to DD telling them that you are mildly disappointed in the cosmetics of your new rifle. Then go to the range and shoot until you no longer notice the problem.

Unless of course I am misunderstanding the nature of the blemish.

AndyLate
02-09-19, 09:50
If you are talking about the raised area in front of the bolt catch, I have noticed the mis-match on quite a few guns.

Stickman is the photographer and owner of the rifle shown.

xanderzuk
02-09-19, 09:51
it's the raised area on the left hand side of the firearm by mag release on the upper and lower that don't line up.

I think he’s saying the upper and lower’s forgings don’t match up, which I will say is weird if it’s a factory built rifle (and assuming that’s the case).

Pics would help.

5.56Geo
02-09-19, 09:53
Are you talking about the area with the red arrow below. That area doesn’t line up on most manafutures rifles. It very common to see it misaligned. Picture taken off the internet. Hope that helps.

https://i.imgur.com/8VG25x0l.png

markm
02-09-19, 10:13
I don't think I have a single AR (out of 8) that has those forgings match up.

Firefly
02-09-19, 10:16
Oooh boy you’d hate me and my guns...

Eurodriver
02-09-19, 10:19
I would send it back. Nobody buys a complete DD rifle because they want a function over form type rifle. They buy DDs because they are into neato furniture and looks. You obviously are this type of buyer, as am I.

I sent a rifle back to Colt for this very issue. After it had been ran over by a 4Runner and fallen down a rocky hillside I had alignment issues. Colt took care of me. There are still people who appreciate quality firearms at these manufacturers.

ViniVidivici
02-09-19, 10:38
My two cents is, no way would I send it back, just for something like that, OP.

NWPilgrim
02-09-19, 10:56
I think Euro nailed it. I am enjoying his dry sarcasm of late. DD is meant to shoot well. Have you even tried shooting it yet?

I honestly can’t say if my BCM and LMT guns align or colors match or have any other aesthetic perfection. What I do know is that they are accurate enough for me, have not failed once over many thousands or rounds, and just plain work all the time with any decent ammo I feed them. If I want pretty I would go for a nicely figured walnut stock on a deep blued bolt gun. Unfortunately most of my bolt guns have worn blue to white or are stainless.

Gtorq21
02-09-19, 13:43
If you are talking about the raised area in front of the bolt catch, I have noticed the mis-match on quite a few guns.

Pic from the 'net.

This is it exactly. Mine is off more then the one pictured here. I'd post a picture but unsure how. By all means I know and use my rifle as it is intended for. But for $1500 factory firearm from a reputable manufacture figured it would line up nicely. But yeah of course guys I know function over cosmetics. That's why I bought a DD.

GH41
02-09-19, 15:00
Very common occurrence. Both receivers are forged. Not exactly the same from one to the other. When they are fixtured up to machine some are in in slightly different positions than others. If that bothers you don't look at the difference in thickness between the sides of the lower. It isn't a problem... Just what happens when machining forgings. I have never seen a forged receiver set that matched perfectly.

Iraqgunz
02-09-19, 16:03
Definitely send it back before you actually shoot it.

Vegas
02-09-19, 17:59
I wonder if DD will charge for return shipping?

MegademiC
02-09-19, 19:02
Ive never actually looked at that before.

Jonnyt16
02-09-19, 19:24
Ive never actually looked at that before.
Either have I. So I just went and looked. Only one of my rigs is perfectly aligned and the rest are ever so slightly off. It's a good thing I don't give a rat's @ss.

Gtorq21
02-09-19, 19:34
Either have I. So I just went and looked. Only one of my rigs is perfectly aligned and the rest are ever so slightly off. It's a good thing I don't give a rat's @ss.

Are they personal builds or whole bought

Jonnyt16
02-09-19, 19:38
Are they personal builds or whole bought
All complete factory guns. Three DD's (one of which aligned), a Noveske, a POF, and a Stag.

bamashooter
02-09-19, 19:54
This is it exactly. Mine is off more then the one pictured here. I'd post a picture but unsure how. By all means I know and use my rifle as it is intended for. But for $1500 factory firearm from a reputable manufacture figured it would line up nicely. But yeah of course guys I know function over cosmetics. That's why I bought a DD.

See if this helps. If you try, wish to continue and it remains a struggle, pm me if you'd like. This is for a pc / laptop, etc. Much easier than the length of the instructions imply. See included graphic also. It pertains to the txt I have in bold. Imgur's look has change a bit since I wrote this but these instructions pretty much remain current.

If using windows, I recommend downloading and installing this little piece of software to resize your photo unless you already use something else. This one is very simple.*

https://imageresizer.codeplex.com/*

Some photos don't require resizing and some do. Hate it when someone posts a pic the size of Texas. You can resize in most hosting services but this is a handy tool for all photos that you use for other purposes other than forums.*

Once installed, you can right click on any photo and going down a bit in the drop down menu, left click on "resize pictures". This opens a resize window.*

Select the first radio button which is the small size recommended for forums. Don't worry, it won't be real small.*

In the method I'm showing you, it will use your same file name with the additional (small) added to it. Now you have the original and the new small pic.*

I would suggest using a hosting service such as Imgur. Sign up to it and then proceed. Within any photo hosting service your personal settings will include things such as who you give access to your pics, etc. Might want to take care of your preferences once you upload a pic or two.*

Open Imgur (*http://imgur.com/*). Log in to Imgur:*

At the top right, left click "upload images". A new window will appear.*

Left click "browse your computer".*

In the new window showing your files, go find the pic, select it and click open at bottom right corner of window or simply double-click the file / image.*

In a matter of seconds the new photo will appear.*

To the right of the new photo is a column of options.*

Go down to the choice titled BBCode (message boards & forums)*

To the right of that particular option, left click on "Copy".*

Come back to this forum and open a text window. Say what you have to say. Hit return once or twice.*

Right click and in the drop down menu, click paste.*

Finish up with selecting Submit Reply.*

Very easy.*

If you use another tool for resizing, it's best to use the size 854x480 pixels. A while back I believe that was 640x480 however times and things change. If the tool you choose to resize use the 640x480 format, that's fine. Good luck and let's see a pic or two.

https://i.imgur.com/PAW5dqB.jpg

Stickman
02-09-19, 20:17
There is nothing that says those lines should match up...

The pic posted with the Noveske logo is my weapon which was used on duty as a patrol rifle for many years. There is no possible negative outcome with the upper and lower lines not being exactly lined up.

Outlander Systems
02-09-19, 20:28
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a gun where they *do* line up.

The pic posted with the Noveske logo is my weapon which was used on duty as a patrol rifle for many years. There is no possible negative outcome with the upper and lower lines not being exactly lined up.

grizzman
02-09-19, 20:39
My forged Mega set from 8 years ago matches up quite well. Nothing else: Colts, BCM, Centurion, Aero, & PSA does.

You should plant a mic in the rifle if you send it in so you can listen to what DD says when they read the issue they'll be fixing.

AndyLate
02-09-19, 22:11

I apologize for using your photo without credit.

Rifle looks bad ass in the pic.

Hammer_Man
02-09-19, 22:25
Non issue, most rifles don't have perfectly matching uppers and lowers.

Vegas
02-09-19, 22:35
Non issue, most rifles don't have perfectly matching uppers and lowers.

Could affect the amount of likes on Instabook tho.

donlapalma
02-09-19, 22:47
Just checked all my rifles. None of them line up. I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight.

Hammer_Man
02-10-19, 01:13
Ah yes very true. What shall our lives come to without an electronic thumbs up from people we've never met?

02-10-19, 06:16
That area is frequently not lined up on GI M16’s and M4’s. Plus there is almost always some slop in the upper and lower fitment. Its inconsequential in my opinion.

Stickman
02-10-19, 09:52
I apologize for using your photo without credit.

Rifle looks bad ass in the pic.

There is no problem at all ever using any of my pics to help other people out. The issues become when people use the pics to make money for their online store, prints, etc. In this case, the pic was shot for Magpul, licensed for commercial use, and in use by all the Magpul dealers.

It is a pretty awesome rifle, I agree. That John N gave me the lower makes it even cooler, at least to me.

Stickman
02-10-19, 09:54
Could affect the amount of likes on Instabook tho.

Both IG and FB heavily censure my posts and viewing.... now I know why!!! :)

Vegas
02-10-19, 12:26

Gotta get your sh*t lined up ;)

Zirk208
02-10-19, 12:35
The upper forging lines are in regards to the ejection port and dust cover. The lower forging lines are in regards to the mag release and fencing lines. At no point are they reliant on each other.

10MMGary
02-10-19, 15:39
I just keep buying upper & lowers until I match up a pair perfectly and threw the dozen or so that didn't in a dresser drawer, a Dremel tool and black marker is also an option.

Iraqgunz
02-10-19, 16:47
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because matched uppers and lowers stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell

Just checked all my rifles. None of them line up. I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight.

GH41
02-10-19, 17:52
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because matched uppers and lowers stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell

Speaking of sleep... I am crying myself to sleep tonight over my receivers not matching. Also because I measured my favorite jeans and on leg was an eighth inch longer than the other. I emailed Levi and they said it was due to uneven heat and dryer rotation RPM. They refused to send me a return shipping label. I am now officially depressed.

Gtorq21
02-10-19, 20:48
Lol I appreciate the humor

Campbell
02-10-19, 21:40
Speaking of sleep... I am crying myself to sleep tonight over my receivers not matching. Also because I measured my favorite jeans and on leg was an eighth inch longer than the other. I emailed Levi and they said it was due to uneven heat and dryer rotation RPM. They refused to send me a return shipping label. I am now officially depressed.

LOL! Thankfully that made me laugh.., this site used to be awesome.

MistWolf
02-10-19, 23:01

Whoa! I knew Iraqgunz was a tough cookie, but that's hardcore!

I don't know who FB is, but I don't wanna cross him either!

Iraqgunz
02-10-19, 23:11
IG= Instagram and FB= Fakebook. Both of which are necessary evils for the business.

Whoa! I knew Iraqgunz was a tough cookie, but that's hardcore!

I don't know who FB is, but I don't wanna cross him either!

Vegas
02-11-19, 00:23
Lol I appreciate the humor

Good to see you have a sense of humor. All joking aside, you have a great rifle that will serve you well.