PDA

View Full Version : So we've been dealt a crap hand

Spyw
11-06-08, 02:07
And all I have heard is an admittance of defeat. All I have seen is the cleaning of store shelves. We do need to prepare for the worst; that is our nature. We also, however, need to be prepare to do any and everything that will be required from us to keep legislation that will hurt us from becoming law. I was four years old when Clinton signed that ban into law. I don't know what kind of efforts were made to stop that bill, but we need to stop any ban before it gets to Obama's desk.

So with that said, what's the plan?

chadbag
11-06-08, 02:20
And all I have heard is an admittance of defeat. All I have seen is the cleaning of store shelves. We do need to prepare for the worst; that is our nature. We also, however, need to be prepare to do any and everything that will be required from us to keep legislation that will hurt us from becoming law. I was four years old when Clinton signed that ban into law. I don't know what kind of efforts were made to stop that bill,

Lots and lots.

but we need to stop any ban before it gets to Obama's desk.

So with that said, what's the plan?

Wait to see what happens I guess. There is not much you can do but react to things that happen.

I mean, sign up as many people as you can as NRA and GOA members. Write your Rep and Senators telling them what a bad idea it is and they should oppose it if it happens. Get all your gun owning friends to do the same. That sort of generic stuff you can do now.

LegalAlien
11-06-08, 11:45

Right there is our very first challenge!!!!

Dissension in the ranks of the gun owners.

Why are there two organisations? Were the anti's successful in a divide and conquer strategy? The NRA and GOA are before my time (only been in the country for 11 yrs and not really active in firearms again before early last year, so pardon my ignorance.

We should have ONE UNITED FRONT

chadbag
11-06-08, 11:50
Right there is our very first challenge!!!!

Dissension in the ranks of the gun owners.

Why are there two organisations? Were the anti's successful in a divide and conquer strategy? The NRA and GOA are before my time (only been in the country for 11 yrs and not really active in firearms again before early last year, so pardon my ignorance.

We should have ONE UNITED FRONT

They play different roles and use different strategies. Just join and donate to both. It is not worth it to try and reconcile the two.

VooDoo6Actual
11-06-08, 11:53
1) Adapt, Innovate, Overcome

2) Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

3) Plan Your Work and Work Your Plan...

4) DIE (Devise, Implement, Execute)...

:D

STI2031
11-06-08, 11:53
Just joined to become a Life Member of the GOA.!!!!!

Tom_Jones
11-06-08, 12:03
deleted

Bat Guano
11-07-08, 00:01
I tend to print off really good articles and essays on freedom, the 2A. and political and philosophical things that interest me. They go into a looseleaf binder. The other night after the election I started paging through stuff from '99-2000. (The last Gun Wars.) Some good stuff, and it's just as valid now as it was then. We got through that, we'll get through this. If anything, we ought to be smarter now. It's not about fancy or clever, it's just the same kind of slog that it takes to raise good kids, and just as worthwhile... Once more unto the breach, dear friends.

Watching Kenneth Branagh's St. Crispin's Day speech in "Henry V" always helps to get things in perspective. :)

NoBody
11-07-08, 05:23
Deleted.

Robb Jensen
11-07-08, 05:30
Lots and lots.

Wait to see what happens I guess. There is not much you can do but react to things that happen.

I mean, sign up as many people as you can as NRA and GOA members. Write your Rep and Senators telling them what a bad idea it is and they should oppose it if it happens. Get all your gun owning friends to do the same. That sort of generic stuff you can do now.

Also join the JPFO (http://www.jpfo.org/) and VCDL (http://www.vcdl.org/).

lalakai
11-07-08, 06:36
start right now by letting your senate and congressional reps get to know you. Don't contact them in a rabid "burn the castle" approach, but make sure they know your position and that you are willing to commit time and energy to that. Getting 2 phone calls a week along with 2 letter each week, and they start to see that you are committed; if they get this from 40% of their constituents, that gets their attention.

As we've also learned, they can thump their chests and say "I voted against the gun ban!", but that might not mean anything. The senate and congressional leaders have a very good idea of who is getting the pressure, and who needs to vote a certain way, to appease their constituents. If the leaders have enough of a margin, they will let the pressured ones, vote "No", so they can be on record. It's not just voting against it, but also putting the time and energy into their actions, so that the ridiculous bills like HR 1022 never even see the light of day.

Put your senate and congressional reps on your speed dial, add them to your email list, send them xmas cards,.............................make sure they know who you are and that you are committed to this. And each week, make sure that you can add 1-2 more friends/family/co-workers/church members, your doctor/dentist/auto mechanic/ice fishing buddy, who will do the same thing.

R1pper
11-07-08, 06:55
Lots of talk, but ultimately 90% will just shut up and drink the Kool-Aid. :(

Well Kool-Aid has way to much sugar, and Im on a diet!

-DM-

NoBody
11-07-08, 07:02
Deleted.

SingleStacker45
11-07-08, 07:08
I watched the gun ban happen the first time around and I think most people were in dis belief. I certainly hope the older contributers to this site have learned their lesson. I for one will renew my NRA membership and sign up for GOA to start. When the time comes I think a march on Washington may be a good Idea. Normally I would say the media eats that stuff up but you all know how liberal they can be.

Mule

R1pper
11-07-08, 07:22
When the time comes I think a march on Washington may be a good Idea.

Mule

I agree, they had a million man march, How about a 5 million gun owner march?

-DM-

Gutshot John
11-07-08, 07:24
I agree, they had a million man march, How about a 5 million gun owner march?

-DM-

Oooooh...good idea. Where do I sign up?

R1pper
11-07-08, 07:34
Oooooh...good idea. Where do I sign up?

I was already thinking of how we could actually start organizing something like this. I know its early but something of this magnatude would take a long time to orchestrate.

-DM-