PDA

View Full Version : BA Hanson Barrels vs ...

GoldnBullet
02-09-19, 09:57
I am looking towards a 11.5"ish lightweight barrel. I have narrowed it down to BA Hanson and BCM ELW (Standard), with BA being quite a bit cheaper. My concern with the BA Hansons are the nickel boron extensions, notes specifically reguarding: durability and tolerances. I know Fail Zero has had it's qc issues in the past, why WMD was started, but hope there would be no issues when paired with a nickel boron BCG. I had been told by other barrel makers and some gunsmiths to avoid nickel boron as it has flaked off under hard use (sometimes).

Looking for Experience with the BA Hansons. Opinions and how well they held up.

I have no doubt the BA is accurate and probably a better deal than the BCM ElW...but

rockapede
02-09-19, 10:19
I have two Hanson barrels with about 3500 rounds between them. No issues with the barrel extensions. One, a 10.3” .625 profile, has a slightly canted gas block. It’s annoying but doesn’t cause any clearance issues in the rail or binding with the gas key, so I’m going to continue to run it. Both barrels have been 100% reliable and feel like they are reasonably gassed.

Eurodriver
02-09-19, 10:34
Why do you think BCMs barrels are more expensive than BAs?

GoldnBullet
02-09-19, 10:50

BCM does more testing of their barrels. HPT (which some say isn't necessary), MPI, and destructive testing of random barrels. Some have also said with modern barrel steels this is not necessary (HPT). Also it says BCM on it.

rockapede
02-09-19, 10:59
BA claims HP and MPI. I’d like to think BCM would have caught my gas block issue, though I know nobody’s infallible. Unfortunately, I’m told the canting, while not common, isn’t unheard of either with BA’s pinned LPGBs. I’m not selling the two I have, but I have a Sionics barrel inbound.

Eurodriver
02-09-19, 11:07
BCM does more testing of their barrels. HPT (which some say isn't necessary), MPI, and destructive testing of random barrels. Some have also said with modern barrel steels this is not necessary (HPT). Also it says BCM on it.

I agree that the BCM name adds some mark up to the asking price, on top of the tangible things you mentioned, but how do you think BCM came to demand that markup for its name?

It wasn’t by shill marketing or fancy Gunfighter ads on forums. I have now been around long enough to say this - I remember when BCM stopped selling uppers because their barrel supplier wasn’t meeting their QC standards. What I find profound about that is that everyone says all of these AR companies get their parts from the same sources but I don’t remember anyone else cutting back production at that time.

I like to view things in relation to cars. A modern Chevy will most likely get me to work just as well as a Mercedes will. Of course my name is “Euro”driver, so take my views with a grain of salt.

GoldnBullet
02-09-19, 11:44

I agree that the BCM name adds some mark up to the asking price, on top of the tangible things you mentioned, but how do you think BCM came to demand that markup for its name?

It wasn’t by shill marketing or fancy Gunfighter ads on forums. I have now been around long enough to say this - I remember when BCM stopped selling uppers because their barrel supplier wasn’t meeting their QC standards. What I find profound about that is that everyone says all of these AR companies get their parts from the same sources but I don’t remember anyone else cutting back production at that time.

I like to view things in relation to cars. A modern Chevy will most likely get me to work just as well as a Mercedes will. Of course my name is “Euro”driver, so take my views with a grain of salt.

I didn't know that. Thanks for that Feedback!

ABNAK
02-09-19, 12:39

Point. Game. Set.

BCM also chrome lines their barrels, not the nitride cheaper way out. Sorry, I'm old-school and set in my ways, I haven't bought into the whole nitride thing. Just look at your top barrel makers (excluding true "match" barrels): BCM, Colt, Knight's, Criterion, Hodge Defense, FN, DD, Noveske (the pre-death ones), et al.

docsherm
02-09-19, 13:45

Because they are and the CHF ones are the same as PSA...... made by FN and they get the price jacked up for the BCM name.

And most of the CHF ones are made by FN other than DD.

friendlyfireisnt
02-09-19, 17:32
I have both a BCM BFH 11.5" Gov't Profile and a BA 11.3" Hanson barrel.

I haven't done a direct comparison between the two of them, but both are plenty accurate. Both have been very reliable. I did have an issues with failure to extract with the BA barrel, but I tracked that down to a bad extractor/extractor spring (Larue BCG). I replaced the Larue Bolt with a BCM Bolt and have had no issues since, so I can't blame the barrel for it.

Both are quality barrels. The BA barrel happens to be the barrel on my favorite carbine right now, and the one I would grab in an emergency. It's not that it's better than the BCM, but when I purchased the BCM, I purchased one with the FSP versus a low pro gas block. So I prefer the BA barrel for that reason. Also, it's profile does make it super lightweight, which is nice.

snackgunner
02-09-19, 17:37
Because they are and the CHF ones are the same as PSA...... made by FN and they get the price jacked up for the BCM name.

And most of the CHF ones are made by FN other than DD.

Respect for speaking the truth.

noonesshowmonkey
02-09-19, 19:02
BA has the MOA guarantee, which is pretty neat. I took the plunge on a Cold Hammer Forged Hanson profile 14.5" barrel from Ballistic Advantage. It just got back to me from a pin & weld job (thanks, Doc). With 77gr OTM, I'll try and see if it holds the 1" or less at 100 yards per BA's claim.

I doubt that I am good enough to really need a 1 moa barrel, but every advantage is worth having if you can afford it. And the price on the CHF Hanson barrels was such that I could in fact afford it. The features are great, and if it holds up on the accuracy side, it's a helluva deal.

Regardless, I wouldn't feel undergunned or some shit if I had a BCM barrel. Either is more accurate than I am, unless I am proned out with a bag and good glass.

Firefly
02-09-19, 19:13
I dunno....I'm into Lilja now. Or just plain Colt barrels.

I want an HK barrel.

MQ105
02-09-19, 19:14
I have a BA CHF barrel as well, and it is excellent. I really like the Hanson profile. However, these were made from DD blanks, so they aren't the same as "regular' BA barrels. Just FYI.

gunnerblue
02-09-19, 20:01
I have a 12.5” BA Hanson barrel. It will place five rounds of a particular handload into one inch at 100 yards. It is chambered in 6.5 Grendel, but still...

I’ve never had a BCM standard barrel, but did own a 16” ELW which would place five rounds into ~one and a half inches at 100 yards. The same load shoots 0.6 MOA in my BCM 410SS.

I am a big BCM fan but am also completely happy with my BA Hanson.

Mrgunsngear
02-09-19, 20:12
I am looking towards a 11.5"ish lightweight barrel. I have narrowed it down to BA Hanson and BCM ELW (Standard), with BA being quite a bit cheaper. My concern with the BA Hansons are the nickel boron extensions, notes specifically reguarding: durability and tolerances. I know Fail Zero has had it's qc issues in the past, why WMD was started, but hope there would be no issues when paired with a nickel boron BCG. I had been told by other barrel makers and some gunsmiths to avoid nickel boron as it has flaked off under hard use (sometimes).

Looking for Experience with the BA Hansons. Opinions and how well they held up.

I have no doubt the BA is accurate and probably a better deal than the BCM ElW...but

Both great options for sure (have both in 11.5'' myself). Both BA barrels and BCM ELWs are good to go.

Potss
02-09-19, 20:31
Consider a Triarc barrel. Similar price to the BCM but some nicer rifling.

Overkill777
02-10-19, 06:43
I have a ballistic advantage Hanson profile nitrided barrel and I love it. Very lightweight and easily sub MOA at 100 yards with handloads.

daddyusmaximus
02-10-19, 10:53
Heard many good things about the BA Hanson barrels. Sure hope they are right. I picked up a 14" stainless BA Hanson barrel on black Friday for my .308 Aero build that I'm hoping like hell will preform well, and last a good long while. It was discontinued, plus my military discount, and ended up being a very good price.