PDA

View Full Version : immediate price increase..

moresky
11-06-08, 06:36
Demand has driven the pice already. In one day at my local gun shop a M&P15T went from $1200 to $1600. Can't wait to see the prices when the supply starts drying up.

Cold Zero
11-06-08, 06:42
I went to my local gun store last night. they said right before the election they sold a lot of pre ban A.K.'s, pre ban A.R.'s, post ban A.R.'s and are all sold out of mags. They have not had a run on ammo. Yesterday was quiet, they attributed that to post election shock.

citizensoldier16
11-06-08, 06:43
Probably a $$ hungry gun store owner. They're still $1250 locally.

wahoo95
11-06-08, 08:43
Yeah gonna be a lot of folks taking advantage of the panic even though it's doubtful there will be any sort of "ban" legislation presented/approved before 2010!

Safetyhit
11-06-08, 09:13
Yeah gonna be a lot of folks taking advantage of the panic even though it's doubtful there will be any sort of "ban" legislation presented/approved before 2010!

I hear you. All this false urgency will only cause an inflated price bubble to form. The day my come in a couple years, but it certainly won't be tomorrow. I am not panicing....yet.

Abiqua
11-06-08, 09:24
ammoman.com was so busy that they shut down ordering yesterday, internet orders are back up today but still no phone orders.

Submariner
11-06-08, 09:26

Did the seller force the buyer to lay his money on the table thereby "taking advantage" of said buyer?:rolleyes:

5POINT56
11-06-08, 09:38

Ignorance of this variety is dangerously stupid.

Safetyhit
11-06-08, 09:41
Did the seller force the buyer to lay his money on the table thereby "taking advantage" of said buyer?:rolleyes:

No, but if everybody raises prices now, then they are profiting from something that has not even taken shape yet. That profit is derived from a what right now is a false sense of panic.

In other words, no price gouging would be appreciated. The time may come, but it is not here yet.

Safetyhit
11-06-08, 09:43
Ignorance of this variety is dangerously stupid.

Care to explain...maybe without the condescending comments?

5POINT56
11-06-08, 09:50
Care to explain...maybe without the condescending comments?

My apology.

1) It's is widely published Obama policy that he fully intends on institutng a NON-EXPIRING AWB.

2) Biden himself authored an AWB.

3) HR1022 is already written, just waiting to be pushed through and significantly harsher than the previous AWB ( http://www.gunlawnews.org/110th-House-Bills/hr1022.html )

4) There is absolutely nothing in the way from that being pushed right on to his desk and rubber stamping it immediately.

It's an easy early "victory" that's going to be a feather in Obama's cap that he'll need once it's obvious subjects like healthcare, foreign policy and the economy are significantly more difficult to succeed with. It is dangerous to under-estimate the enemy, and I firmly believe that we're where we are now for that very reason. RKBA rights lost now, will be lost forever. These laws do not get repealed.

Safetyhit
11-06-08, 10:04
3) HR1022 is already written, just waiting to be pushed through and significantly harsher than the previous AWB ( http://www.gunlawnews.org/110th-House-Bills/hr1022.html )

I am aware of HR1022, but not as much as I should be. I am going to do some reading up today on it's full content and likely time lines. Hopefully by the end I am not transformed to yet another panic stricken buyer. :eek:

Thank-you for the information.

Left Sig
11-06-08, 10:14
And when the next AWB happens, we force the NRA file a federal lawsuit and get an injunction. Then we take it through the courts and ultimately get a decision from the SCOTUS defining just how much the government can limit our rights. Somehow I feel they will not uphold a blanket ban on semi-auto rifles. Round limits are another issue and I have no idea what they would consider reasonable. But I do think we could make the claim that the ideal self-defense pistol is one similar to what that police departments most often issue - right now a high capacity .40 Glock.

Of course, this would have to happen with the current court, which I believe will continue with another decision in the Heller vein. If a couple justices retire and get replaced with Obama's likely far-left choices then all bets are off as to what they will decide.

And this is another reason why they are likely to delay an future AWB's - Obama and the dems need to load the court first with their appointees.

carbinero
11-06-08, 10:23
Hunh, he's not even pres yet, and already the economy is experiencing rampant inflation. Oh joy for the next 4 years. :mad:

Other than prayer and vetting good people for 2010, I think the best thing we can do is send the Supreme Court justices good vitamins. We can't afford ANY appointments for FOUR MORE YEARS!

Left Sig
11-06-08, 10:29
As long as only liberal justices retire, and are replaced with more liberals, the balance of power won't shift. My fear is that Scalia will get sick or die. He's the one that is holding it all together.

Then again, as long as the republicans in the Senate can still filibuster, they can block all of Obama's apointees just like the democrats did with Bush's appointees. Turnabout is fair play, isn't it?

The great irony is that we freely admit liberal justices vote along ideological lines rather than with the rule of law and the intent of the framers of the constitution.

Safetyhit
11-06-08, 10:29
An interesting, related article from the NRA website...

Election triggers upsurge in military-like firearms sales
Obama backs renewing the federal Assault Weapons Ban
By Sheena McFarland
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 11/06/2008 06:16:31 AM MST

Click photo to enlargeFrank Baer, the owner of Patriot Arms and Gun Repair in... (Paul Fraughton/The Salt Lake Tribune )«1»As polls and pundits in recent weeks increasingly pointed to the election of Barack Obama as the next president, scores of Utahns flocked to gun stores.
Obama has supported renewing the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban, which stops the manufacture of several semiautomatic guns with large magazines.
"Such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets," Obama's Web site states.
Local gun dealers quickly are running out of stock of magazines for Colt AR-15s and AK models and many have seen a sharp increase in the sales of those guns.
"Pretty much anything with more than 10 rounds is in high demand right now," said Michael Martin, a The 1994 federal Assault Weapons Ban

The bill banned, by name, the manufacture of 19 different weapons:
* Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models)
* Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil
* Beretta Ar70 (SC-70)
* Colt AR-15
* Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC
* SWD M-10; M-11; M-11/9, and M-12
* Steyr AUG
* INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9, AND TEC-22
* Revolving cylinder shotguns such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12.
The 1994 law also prohibited manufacturers from producing firearms with more than one of the following assault weapon features:
Rifles
* Folding/telescoping stock
* Protruding pistol grip
* Bayonet mount
* Threaded muzzle or flash suppressor
* Grenade launcher
Pistols
* Magazine outside grip
* Threaded muzzle
* Barrel shroud
* Unloaded weight of 50 ounces or more
* Semi-automatic version of a fully automatic weapon
Shotguns
* Folding/telescoping stock
* Protruding pistol grip
* Detachable magazine capacity
* Fixed magazine capacity greater than 5 rounds
Source: The Brady Campaign

The ban »
The 1994 federal Assault Weapons Ban mandated that all U.S. gun manufacturers stop making semiautomatic assault weapons and ammunition clips holding more than 10 rounds, except for military or police use.
The ban was allowed to sunset 10 years later under President George W. Bush and a Republican House and Senate.
sales representative at Impact Guns in Salt Lake City. "We had one supplier go from 92 assault rifles to 12 in one day. Our suppliers are just frantically scrambling."
Customers at Fuzzy Bunny Movie Guns have expressed their worries about a renewed gun ban on the store's online message boards, and the past 10 days have brought major jumps in sales.
"For customers out there thinking about getting one of these guns, don't think," said James Bunten, president of FBMG, who has had to order stock much further in advance to guarantee his store's stock. "At least put money down on it now to get a place in very long line."
While many avid gun owners now are buying $3,000 worth of guns, accessories and spare parts instead of the more typical $1,000, they aren't the only ones stocking up, according to Bunten. He has seen a big increase in people wanting to learn how to use the large assault rifles by signing up for classes at the store.
"I've seen a wider demographic of customers. There are more and more professionals. I see doctors getting assault weapons instead of just their hunting rifles," Bunten said.
Charles Hardy, Gun Owners of Utah policy director, said he has seen the same trend in the past week, as polling showed Obama increasingly likely to win the White House.
Obama has said he is a supporter of Second Amendment rights, "while keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldn't have them," his Web site states.
But Hardy says Obama's support of an assault-weapons ban goes against gun rights and is spurring sales.
"You don't really appreciate something until you lose it," Hardy said. "People who have been casually interested before now have the sense that 'If I don't have [an assault rifle] in my closet, I won't be able to get one.' "
That attitude makes Gary Sackett, a member of the board of directors of the Gun Violence Prevention Center of Utah, nervous.
"It's always a concern when there are more lethal weapons out in the hands of people where such lethal weapons have no function in society, even for self-defense," Sackett said. "An assault rifle is not an appropriate weapon and is more likely to cause an accidental death or severe injury."
He hopes with Obama in office and a Democratic majority in both houses, new gun legislation will surface soon.
The 1994 federal Assault Weapons Ban mandated that all U.S. gun manufacturers stop making semiautomatic assault weapons and ammunition clips holding more than 10 rounds, except for military or police use. The ban was allowed to sunset 10 years later under President George W. Bush and a Republican House and Senate.
But it's the reality of that ban that has triggered gun owners to grab up assault rifles, Hardy said.
"Now that we will have someone who is openly hostile to the right to keep and bear arms in the White House, gun owners and those who hope to one day own guns have woken up and they are nervous," said Hardy.
smcfarland@sltrib.com

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/InTheNews.aspx?ID=11783

Submariner
11-06-08, 12:41
In other words, no price gouging would be appreciated.

Define price gouging. Who enforces the "rule" against it?

Iraq Ninja
11-06-08, 12:53
Other forums are keeping track of who is gouging and who is not. While these dealers have the right to choose their own prices, we are free to make note who are the good guys. Look at what is happening to Spike's after he bumped up his lowers. He is in the middle of a turd storm right now.

Dealers need to consider the ramifications of their actions, or at least justify their increases. Gun owners have long memories. Heck, look what happened to Cooper Firearms since he voiced his support for Obama.

The employees, shareholders and board of directors of Cooper Firearms of Montana do not share the personal political views of Dan Cooper.

Although we all believe everyone has a right to vote and donate as they see fit, it has become apparent that the fallout may affect more than just Mr. Cooper. It may also affect the employees and the shareholders of Cooper Firearms.

The board of directors has asked Mr. Cooper to resign as President of Cooper Firearms of Montana, Inc.

white spaniard
11-06-08, 13:09
People were not lying about prices going up one of my clients wanted to get an AR I told him about a local gunstore that had a Colt 6920 they didn't have any in stock and he ended up paying 1,200.00 for am oly amrs.

Safetyhit
11-06-08, 13:15
Define price gouging. Who enforces the "rule" against it?

See Iraq Ninja's post above. I won't start knit-picking this point with you.

CarlosDJackal
11-06-08, 13:29
See Iraq Ninja's post above. I won't start knit-picking this point with you.

Smart move. Submariner was actually trying to start a PM argument with me over my bho signature line. I'd be willing to bet he voted for said scumbag President-elect. :rolleyes:

Submariner
11-06-08, 14:11
Smart move. Submariner was actually trying to start a PM argument with me over my bho signature line. I'd be willing to bet he voted for said scumbag President-elect. :rolleyes:

You would lose!:p

My point was that there is little difference between Scalia's verbiage in Heller and your Obama sig line.

One may be conservative and one may be liberal; both are statists.

Way too many here like it when the government acts in their interest but whine like little girls when government acts against their interests.

Willing buyer and willing seller means no price gouging.

5pins
11-06-08, 15:08
People were not lying about prices going up one of my clients wanted to get an AR I told him about a local gunstore that had a Colt 6920 they didn't have any in stock and he ended up paying 1,200.00 for am oly amrs.

And in a few weeks when the panic buying tapers off his Oly will be worth about $600. If some one is willing to pay the price then it’s not price gouging.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-06-08, 15:31
Let's get the lingo right, so mat I make these suggestions

Pre-ban= Pre 94 AWB
Pre-re-ban= Post Pre-ban but pre-2009 ban ;)
Standard capacity= 20 or 30rnd AR mags
Reduced capacity= girlie mags
High-Capacity= Beta C 100rnd mags

mario
11-06-08, 15:37
10K ! Least thats what I read on another generally reliable forum-

Safetyhit
11-06-08, 17:37
I call BS on that one. A good sales spike, maybe. But one dealer selling 10K in one day?

Almost no chance.

RogerinTPA
11-06-08, 17:45
Geez...they saw him coming. Guess he never heard of comparison shopping. IMHO, if you buy from most gun stores, you're a fool. Hardly anything beats the internet for good prices on ammo and firearms, unless the gun shop owner is truly honest. Eventually, increased profit, staying competitive and remaining in business will prevail.

And in a few weeks when the panic buying tapers off his Oly will be worth about $600. If some one is willing to pay the price then it’s not price gouging.

M1A2_Tanker
11-06-08, 17:49
That attitude makes Gary Sackett, a member of the board of directors of the Gun Violence Prevention Center of Utah, nervous.
"It's always a concern when there are more lethal weapons out in the hands of people where such lethal weapons have no function in society, even for self-defense," Sackett said. "An assault rifle is not an appropriate weapon and is more likely to cause an accidental death or severe injury."

Simply astounding!

mario
11-06-08, 17:50
Davidsons isn't a dealer. They are a distributor - the largest firearms distributor in the country and they sell to thousands of Gun dealers. Its very possible that they sold 10K ARs in one day but I can't confirm it

Safetyhit
11-06-08, 17:54
Davidsons isn't a dealer. They are a distributor - the largest firearms distributor in the country and they sell to thousands of Gun dealers. Its very possible that they sold 10K ARs in one day but I can't confirm it

Sorry, my ignorant assumption. Suppose you could be right.

Renegade
11-06-08, 18:53
My apology.

4) There is absolutely nothing in the way from that being pushed right on to his desk and rubber stamping it immediately.

One significant problem is Obama is not the President right now and HR1022 will be dead and gone before he becomes President.

Armati
11-06-08, 19:17
Don't Panic.

The next four years will be a circus show. They know they don't have a mandate. Some estimates suggest that as much as 20% of the conservative base just did not vote. These clowns will spend the next four years trying to figure out what do about this war and the economy.

Gun control has not been a winning issue for the Dems. I don't think they will want to poke the bear.

All the same, make sure your local reps know where you stand. Email them now and introduce yourself. Joint the NRA. Get active.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Hell, maybe we should just go on the offence and try to introduce national CCW again. The Republicans have got to stop lying down and acting like losers all the time.

GKoenig
11-06-08, 19:26
People need to settle down.

1- There is no significant constituency pushing for gun control. Attitudes amongst liberals towards guns have changed pretty significantly since 1994. I live in Portland, OR (big Obama territory) and every Democrat I know owns a firearm. Half of them own AR-15s. 9/11 and Katrina changed attitudes about guns big time. This is a poison pill issue for Obama that offers ZERO upside.

2- The Obama agenda is dominated by about 4 dozen other issues. Hold your nose and go view www.change.gov, the new Presidential Transition website. Look at the list of issues posted. Gun control is nowhere to be seen. Obama has no motivation to touching it and every indication says he isn't going to touch it.

None of this is to say that we shouldn't be on our toes or that Obama isn't hostile to 2nd Amendment rights. The fact seems to be that the country simply has no appetite for gun control at this moment in time.

Ed L.
11-06-08, 19:56
Don't Panic.
Gun control has not been a winning issue for the Dems. I don't think they will want to poke the bear.

I agree that it is not a winning issue for them and has cost them elections in the past.

But then how do you explain that Obama has a permanent renewal of the assault weapons ban on his website as a platform piece, and has also spoken about taking dangerous guns like AK-47s off the street?

I am afraid all it would take is a mass shooting to get some type of antigun legislation moving and passed.

If you think there is a buying panic with inflated prices now, imagine what it would be like then.

At which point people would have the choice of sticking with their morale compass and not rewarding price gougers or buying extra guns and spare magazines while they could still legally do so.

You would have to ask yourself if 10 or 20 years after a permanent ban you would be comfortable with your principles or extra spare mags and an extra gun or two.

GKoenig
11-06-08, 21:11
I am afraid all it would take is a mass shooting to get some type of antigun legislation moving and passed.

We had VA Tech, and (from the political/gun control perspective) this ended up being a bit of a watershed issue.

The center of gravity for the debate in the national media ended up being about allowing CCW on college campuses. The second center of gravity in the debate was on background checks and just how someone who had been adjudicated by a judge as mentally ill actually walked into a gun store and purchased two firearms. The few people who suggested restrictions on firearms by capacity and type were voices out in the ****ing wild.

Ed L.
11-06-08, 21:59
We had VA Tech, and (from the political/gun control perspective) this ended up being a bit of a watershed issue.

At the time Obama was one among many vying for the democratic party candidacy. None of the serious candidates wanted to risk loosing the democratic nomination by mentioning gun control. Now elected, I would expect it to be a different story, especially since it is on his website and he mentioned his anti-gun stance while running.

During the debates McCain should have hit Obama with the fact that he had previously advocated banning handguns, semiautos, and wanted to see people arrested for defending themselves in their own homes. But that's water under the bridge now, and irrelevant to this topic.

Leonidas
11-06-08, 22:33
Way too many here like it when the government acts in their interest but whine like little girls when government acts against their interests.

Now that is classic sigline material! :D

Honu
11-06-08, 23:53

1- There is no significant constituency pushing for gun control. Attitudes amongst liberals towards guns have changed pretty significantly since 1994. I live in Portland, OR (big Obama territory) and every Democrat I know owns a firearm. Half of them own AR-15s. 9/11 and Katrina changed attitudes about guns big time. This is a poison pill issue for Obama that offers ZERO upside.

2- The Obama agenda is dominated by about 4 dozen other issues. Hold your nose and go view www.change.gov, the new Presidential Transition website. Look at the list of issues posted. Gun control is nowhere to be seen. Obama has no motivation to touching it and every indication says he isn't going to touch it.

None of this is to say that we shouldn't be on our toes or that Obama isn't hostile to 2nd Amendment rights. The fact seems to be that the country simply has no appetite for gun control at this moment in time.

I hate to say it but platinumdude on another thread pointed this out !!!

Originally Posted by platinumdude View Post
http://change.gov/agenda/urbanpolicy/

Address Gun Violence in Cities: As president, Barack Obama would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldn't have them. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets.

Iraqgunz
11-07-08, 01:28
Apparently you didn't read the part on the website under Crime and Law Enforcement where they state the following; It's pretty clear to me.

Address Gun Violence in Cities: As president, Barack Obama would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldn't have them. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets.

Ed L.
11-07-08, 02:01
They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets.

I would be very happy if Obama & crew decided that this was too much of a political hot potato, or if they did try it and they couldn't get the votes through congress.

But expecting such is wishful thinking.

And wishful thinking is what most of the people who wound up at the New Orleans Superdome during Hurricane Katrina were relying on.

Oh, and if you try to tell Obama that he can't institute a permanent (so-called) assault weapons ban, he will respond with, "Yes, we can!"

Submariner
11-07-08, 02:28
They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets.

But they are OK in the hands of Obama's Army on the streets of the US, specifically the infantry brigade attached to NORTHCOM.

Oh, and Mayor Daley's cops...

Just "not" in the hand of citizens "on our streets."

GKoenig
11-07-08, 08:01
Well, I stand sadly corrected...

KintlaLake
11-07-08, 11:53
Just my opinion here, but right now is a great time to selling guns and ammo, and a lousy time to be buying guns and ammo.

Best, I think, to watch the panic from the sidelines and keep my wallet in my pocket (the occasional awesome deal notwitchstanding). I believe that an AWB (etc.) is likely, not imminent.

If the panic subsides and retail prices recede, and before wholesale prices go up, that would seem to be a decent time to make a purchase or two. Otherwise, I'm just begging to be gouged.

IROCZ
11-07-08, 13:29
I for one have suspended all non firearms related spending(I have a bad old car habit) But it does warm my heart to see all the increase in sales. Every weapon sale is a potential ally. I also sent this email to all my parts suppliers to explain:

Due to the unstable political climate and the very possible slide into socialism I regret to inform you that I cannot spend my free capital on my toys anymore. I am sorry. GOD bless the United States.

My Sgt. called and stated he heard something on the news about the "Domestic security forces" anyone hear anything? Roving bands of armed militant lefties is terrifying!:D

Ed L.
11-07-08, 13:59

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but this is why we are in the mess we are in. There is over 60 million gunowners in the US. Did these people not acquaint themselves with Obama's platform, voting record, policy record and past statements? For **** sakes Obama has advocated banning all handguns and semiauto firearms and has said in the past to people that he does not believe anyone should own guns.

The way you are trying to make it like this is no big deal, I have to wonder if perhaps you are one of those gunowners who voted for Obama, GKoenig.

Gutshot John
11-07-08, 14:10
The way you are trying to make it like this is no big deal, I have to wonder if perhaps you voted for the man, GKoenig.

I'm quite sure you can disagree with his statement without some chickenshit questioning of his motives.

Obama won by building a coalition in a democracy. Many members of that coalition were gunowners. If Obama tries to impose another AWB he will shatter that coalition. That's not wishful thinking, it's the political reality. If an AWB comes if won't come soon.

He wasn't saying it wasn't a "big deal" he was saying that there are plenty of political "checks" against Obama being able to achieve that. The more people cry about the sky falling, the more they're going to be discredited if it doesn't turn out to be the case.

thespyhunter
11-07-08, 14:59
Either way, I think it sucks.
The BIG gun show is in town this weekend and I am going to get another set of handgaurds and a big bulk pack of A M M O . I guess we will see how the prices are there.

carbinero
11-07-08, 15:41
Important word choice, re: Submariner's latest...please remember, cops are citizens, and they are civilians as well, just like every other non-police and non-military civilian-citizen of the U.S.

Posse comitatus, anyone?

Left Sig
11-07-08, 17:20
Also remember that Obama got his political start in the south side of Chicago. He was taught how to raise money by the biggest political machine in the country. Do you think Daly and his financiers would have supported Obama if he didn't promote their rabid anti-gun agenda? That would be akin to a southern republican saying he doesn't believe in God! A quick way to get nowhere fast.

It is entirely possible, and even likely, that throughout his entire career Obama has simply told everyone what they wanted to hear in order to gain their support and contributions. He is a politician after all, and his ego is so big that it is more important for him to be in the top spot and have the power than to hold true to any particular position on any issue.

And that's the whole problem with Obama - if what I said above is true, we really have no idea what he is going to do.

But now there is nowhere else to go - he's achieved the highest elected office in the world. Now we will see who he really is...

m60g
11-07-08, 18:47
Someone on AR15 posted this:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=783339

mmike87
11-07-08, 18:59
Gun control is not a Dems primary agenda right now, contrary to what a few people on both sides think.

The economy is TANKING - General Motors is likely going under as is Chrysler. We ALL have very big problems right now.

I think we WILL see a serious push for a new AWB, but not tomorrow. Not in January. We have some TIME to be writing our Senators and Congressman NOW before it's too late. Write them every week. Call them every week. Hell, offer to take him or her to the range if they have never been!

I can't buy enough of this stuff to last a lifetime, so if it does get banned then it's pretty much a done deal. I can't buy 100,000 rounds and 500 magazines, and if they decide to confiscate you lose it all anyway.

This is pretty serious, folks. But they are not coming to your door tomorrow to take your guns. This time next year, maybe. But tomorrow, no.

BigTime
11-07-08, 18:59
It's sad indeed,but Obama makes a great guns and ammo salesman.:(

Safetyhit
11-07-08, 19:00
The intent is good, but the content of the thread......:rolleyes:

TOS has gotten a couple of references lately, but likely due to the election and subsequent corresponding communications we all are engaged in.

It's still a mess.

mmike87
11-07-08, 19:02
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but this is why we are in the mess we are in. There is over 60 million gunowners in the US. Did these people not acquaint themselves with Obama's platform, voting record, policy record and past statements? For **** sakes Obama has advocated banning all handguns and semiauto firearms and has said in the past to people that he does not believe anyone should own guns.

The way you are trying to make it like this is no big deal, I have to wonder if perhaps you are one of those gunowners who voted for Obama, GKoenig.

Most everyone I know that surprised me with an Obama vote does NOT know much about him at all. They just think that he's going to save their 401(k). In fact, he's just going to confiscate it and turn it into social security. Jokes on them.

They will screw me by taking their gun and screw them too by taking their retirement. Not so funny when it happens to you ... <evil laugh>

Ed L.
11-07-08, 19:40
Gun control is not a Dems primary agenda right now, contrary to what a few people on both sides think.

The economy is TANKING - General Motors is likely going under as is Chrysler. We ALL have very big problems right now.

I completely agree with you. There are much more pressing issues.

But gun control is keeping with their beliefs, so if a mass shooting or something were to happen I would still expect them to try to ramrod legislation through. I wouldn't expect them to say, "gotta fix the economy before we can discuss this stuff."

I can't buy enough of this stuff to last a lifetime, so if it does get banned then it's pretty much a done deal. I can't buy 100,000 rounds and 500 magazines, and if they decide to confiscate you lose it all anyway.

Confiscation is a huge step and in my opinion undoable in the US. What is on being proposed now is a permanent assault weapons ban which would effect future purchases and prices of things already on the market would soar even more than now.

Considering that mags can get worn even lost, it makes sense to stock up to whatever extent you can. It is certainly better to have 20 spare mags for an AR than it is to have 10.

Ammo prices and taxes and such may make it hard and more expensive to regularly practice and attend training classes, but at least you can have a small stockpile of ammo for defense and emergencies. My point is knowing what is on the horizon, its best to stock up the best you can.

This is pretty serious, folks. But they are not coming to your door tomorrow to take your guns. This time next year, maybe. But tomorrow, no.

I agree. I think the uncertainty of the *if and when* certainly increases the stress, tension and buying pressure. And since you don't know, you're not sure what to do whether a PMAG that is a few dollars now or an AR that is a hundred or two more is a good buy now or will get more expensive in the near future and ultimately even unavailable except for an extreme price in a secondary market after new legislation.

Ed L.
11-07-08, 19:54
Most everyone I know that surprised me with an Obama vote does NOT know much about him at all. They just think that he's going to save their 401(k). In fact, he's just going to confiscate it and turn it into social security. Jokes on them.

The fact that any significant number of elected officials would even consider this is frigtening beyond belief. I am afraid this indicative why I and others are afraid of what they might try with firearms, and why we get curt with people who tell us we are overreacting.

This thread has spun off in so many directions it isn't funny.

Left Sig
11-07-08, 20:15
The 401K deal will be another leading the sheep to slaughter tactic.

I think they will try to remove the tax deductibility of 401K's and individually directed IRA's to make them less attractive. They might leave the gains un-taxed like a Roth IRA, but again the idea will be to make them less attractive.

Then we will be given the option to turn our accounts over to the Soc Sec administration so they can manage our money for us. There will be a tax advantage so the average American (sheep) thinks it's a good idea. There will also be a "guaranty" of a fixed pension income from our 401K when we retire.

Here's the catch - if the government does better on it's investments with our money they will keep the difference and just give us the "guaranteed" amount. If we die before retirement they keep it all. If we die after retirement, they keep what's left. This is the slaughter. Now, don't forget that they will be in control of health care by then and they will be able to decide what treatment we get in retirement. Get it now?

But I think anyone who enacts a wholesale takeover of 401K funds will be in serious trouble at reelection time. It has to be a back door approach that we agree to.

And it will be easy with young people just entering the workforce - just check the box on the W4 that authorizes a 10% withholding to be deposited in a Government controlled "401K" that will provide a fixed pension at retirement - no more worrying about market performance, or watching your mutual funds, or risk. Just trust the government to manage your money, even though they can't manage theirs, and hope the government is still solvent when it comes time to pay you back.

chadbag
11-07-08, 20:53
I call BS on that one. A good sales spike, maybe. But one dealer selling 10K in one day?

Almost no chance.

Davidson's is a wholesale distributor. Still probably BS

chadbag
11-07-08, 20:54
The Republicans in the Senate need to understand that if they do not PERMANENTLY FILIBUSTER any gun control they will never get back into power. EVER. I would vote in a statist gun grabbing democrat to punish a (R) who helps break the filibuster

mmike87
11-07-08, 21:41
The Republicans in the Senate need to understand that if they do not PERMANENTLY FILIBUSTER any gun control they will never get back into power.

I don't know about that - gun owners were pretty much summarily dismissed this election cycle. The Dems have such a large majority that they can pretty much do whatever they want. They are talking about taking our 401(k) for God's sake.

There are plenty of gun grabber Republicans out there, too. One of them, John Warner, is out and Mark Warner (no relation) is in. M. Warner was a pretty good governor of Virginia and signed every gun bill to come to his desk. Hopefully he doesn't forget who he is and where he came from when he gets to Washington. Jim Webb is a CCW permit holder but has yet to be tested with a serious gun control bill.

Gun control IS something that crosses party lines - so we need to be careful who we support. I still have my letter from John Warner (Republican) telling me how a renewed assault weapons ban would make the world safe again.

Gunrider
11-07-08, 21:42
The Republicans in the Senate need to understand that if they do not PERMANENTLY FILIBUSTER any gun control they will never get back into power. EVER. I would vote in a statist gun grabbing democrat to punish a (R) who helps break the filibuster

The way we supported them in THIS election? Yeah. The Republicans OWE us for our throwing away votes for Ron Paul because "he's the REAL conservative" and Obama because he seems nice?

mmike87
11-08-08, 18:44
It's all comes down to the number of activists on each side. This time, "they" had more.

Conservatives dropped the ball.

Goshen606
11-08-08, 23:25
Davidson's is a wholesale distributor. Still probably BS

I call BS as well. I am dealer with an account at Davidson's and I bet they don't have 10K guns all together of any type or brand.