PDA

View Full Version : Brownells retro XM177E2 upper

ABNAK
02-09-19, 21:07
Bought one, really nice looking copy. I got the 1:7 twist version so I can shoot the modern, heavier, better-performing bullets. I put it on a Clot 6720 lower with A1 grip. Yeah, it's certainly not "period correct" but looks nice.

The carbine handguards feel a little more pronounced on the top and bottom where the 6-hole "ridge" runs. Like it sticks up more than other carbine handguards I've handled.

Anyone else have a retro Brownells setup with their carbine handguards?

Circle_10
02-10-19, 00:37
That's cool they are offering the complete XM uppers in 1/7. I knew they were offering their A1 rifle barrels in 1/7, I used one in an early M16A1 clone. I hope they start selling the 1/7 12.5" barrels separately as well. I love Retro ARs, but having the versatility of a modern twist rate is one concession I'm willing to make in terms of authenticity.

Kevslatvin
02-25-19, 12:38
Do these have M4 feed ramps as well? If not any feeding issues with the heavier bullets?

ABNAK
02-25-19, 13:01
Do these have M4 feed ramps as well? If not any feeding issues with the heavier bullets?

No, it does not have M4 feed ramps cut into the lower. Haven't shot it yet so can't vouch for performance with heavy bullets.

MountainRaven
02-26-19, 22:30
Does it have a bayonet lug?

Circle_10
02-27-19, 06:17
Does it have a bayonet lug?

Yes, according to the pics on the site. So that's obviously not correct either.
I'm assuming Brownells is trying to simplify things by using the same unaltered parts throughout their whole Retro series as much as possible.
I think they pay attention to how much deviation from the originals consumers will tolerate though.
Back when they first debuted, the production BRN-10s were going to use standard AR-15 FSBs but that was a bit too much for people to stomach and in response to feedback Brownells changed to a more authentic style FSB by the time the BRN-10 went into production.
A bayonet lug on an XM177E2 clone is probably something they can get away with without drawing too much criticism from customers.

ABNAK
02-28-19, 17:58
Yes, it's got a bayonet lug.